• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Super Mario Bros. Preview

Mashing

Barry Lightning said:
man that shit looks so corny. mario is seriously unrelevant and they need to kick his played out ass to the curb.

This is bar none the stupidest statement I've ever seen on this forum.

"Mr. Lightning, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Yeah that about sums it up.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Barry Lightning said:
man that shit looks so corny. mario is seriously unrelevant and they need to kick his played out ass to the curb.

Word ma nigga. nintenod's 4 faggots. Let's go be playing some real man games like gta and kill hookers like big boys.

Zeo

Banned
Barry Lightning said:

That is wrong and STUPID in so many ways.

"So corny?"

So I'm guessing Mario 3, one of the games in the history of fucking gaming, is "corny".

My guess? You're a 13 year old who thinks LOL KIDDY GAMES SUXXXXX.

You should be banned for that one comment alone.

(Oh yeah, and: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=unrelevant ... idiot.)

Instigator said:
The music is the best thing about the trailer, cliched or not. I even made a MP3 out of it. :)

You should totally post a link to that. I want an MP3 of it.

Rocket9

ralph1.JPG

Me fail english? That's unpossible..

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was getting Mario 3 vibes from that original video they showed at E3 '04... you know, the whole desert level where you ran through the whirlwinds. I'm praying this continues the awesomeness of the original Mario games, as they were some of the best games of all time. Please, Nintendo, give us TONS of secrets to find, lots of hidden levels and easter eggs, and bring back the Koopa Kids.

Yes, I'm not terribly crazy about the polygonal graphics but you know what? I don't care, as long as it has that classic Mario gameplay. Wouldn't mind seeing this 2.5D style used for Mario 128 in the slightest.

Rlan

I feel that Nintendo is somehow AFRAID of going back to a SMB3 type game. The game added so many new moves and abilities to Mario, yet we have barely seen the return of any of the moves or abilities since. Even Mario World was a sort of step back in terms or development.

The new game looks far too much like a SMB1, when they SHOULD be going for a SMW/SMB3 design. The levels currently look far too flat, the wall jumping seems almost useless right now, and the only power up we've seen is the Ultra Mushroom, which seems so useless since all videos shown have had it in a very easily attainable spot with an area made for busting through with ease.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Just a small note for those out there debating the potential sequel number this game would get... if given a number, it would be Super Mario Bros. 5. SM64 and SMS aren't Super Mario Bros. games for a simple reason -- they don't have Luigi. The lack of two player and second character do tie into the lack of "Bros." in the title, to a degree.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rlan said:
I feel that Nintendo is somehow AFRAID of going back to a SMB3 type game. The game added so many new moves and abilities to Mario, yet we have barely seen the return of any of the moves or abilities since. Even Mario World was a sort of step back in terms or development.

The new game looks far too much like a SMB1, when they SHOULD be going for a SMW/SMB3 design. The levels currently look far too flat, the wall jumping seems almost useless right now, and the only power up we've seen is the Ultra Mushroom, which seems so useless since all videos shown have had it in a very easily attainable spot with an area made for busting through with ease.

Yeah, although SMW is definitely my favorite Mario game, Mario 3 definitely has some of the most interesting powerups ever devised in a game. The Tanuki suit, frog suit, Hammer Bros suit, the tail, and the Shoe!

If they bring back the Shoe, this will be bar none the best video game ever!!!

Mallrat83

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Just a small note for those out there debating the potential sequel number this game would get... if given a number, it would be Super Mario Bros. 5. SM64 and SMS aren't Super Mario Bros. games for a simple reason -- they don't have Luigi. The lack of two player and second character do tie into the lack of "Bros." in the title, to a degree.
It would be titled Super Mario Bros 5 in Japan. Here in the U.S. it would be titled Super Mario Bros 4. Super Mario World is not Super Mario Bros 4 to us. It is its own series that already has a sequel of its own: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mallrat83 said:
It would be titled Super Mario Bros 5 in Japan. Here in the U.S. it would be titled Super Mario Bros 4. Super Mario World is not Super Mario Bros 4 to us. It is its own series that already has a sequel of its own: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Since when did NCL care what silly localization decisions NOA made?

mdm said:
Doesn't mean the physics don't look off
It's not as if graphical method determines physics.

Mallrat83 said:
And Final Fantasy VII should be Final Fantasy IV in the US. Things retroactively change.

Vard

Am I the only one that's not a fan of the Super Giant Mario? Plowing through levels when you're that size isn't my idea of a Mario game, good platforming, or fun. I hope that it lasts only a few seconds and that they use it very seldomly.

Besides that, I can't wait for it to come out. I think I too would have preferred 2D sprites than 3D polygons, but it seems to work well from what I can tell. I also hope they change the backgrounds to be a little bit more Mario-esque... and that means clouds with faces for sure. Another concern is the game's length, but I'm sure I'll be replaying it over and over again so it wouldn't even matter.

The 2-player mode sounds cool, but I hope that there's two separate modes: one co-op and the other versus. This game is just what I need.

Oblivion

Vard said:
Am I the only one that's not a fan of the Super Giant Mario? Plowing through levels when you're that size isn't my idea of a Mario game, good platforming, or fun. I hope that it lasts only a few seconds and that they use it very seldomly.

No, sir you are not. If I had a choice of keeping that giant mushroom and some flying item, I would pick the latter in a heart beat. Hopefully, the giant levels will be fun, though.

ziran

nintendo europe said:
...Then we tried a fortress level, complete with bad tempered Thwomps, where we discovered a nifty shortcut reminiscent of the original Super Mario Bros., in which we rode an elevator to the very top of the screen and ran along the "roof" of the level...
:) mario shortcuts :)

i know there is a high expectation for this game, but i'm still surprised at so much neagativity. i really think it looks and sounds fantastic!

Oblivion

The trailer music wasn't really anything to call home about, but it was okay. Hopefully this game will have more catchy tunes like in Mario 64.

Top Bottom