• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Crash Course, (the area after titty city) is incredible broken on the hardest difficulty, bar that i didnt have many real problems.

Theres a area where you are on a turret shooting alien dropships/fighters and on the hardest it is near impossible, you have to abuse the games auto aim by mashing the zoom button repeatedly to keep a constant auto aim on the ships and then burst fire the turrest to avoid over heating issues. Even then i still had problems i was about 3 items away from full ego and i only did it by some combination of knowledge of the spawns, glitches, skill and luck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So yeah, the game is a little crude (literally and figuratively). You can tell which parts had their concepts fully fleshed out and which didn't. Like the The Hive has music playing in certain situations, great texturing and graphics, and some interesting gameplay mechanics. Then you have Titty City, which, like, I don't mind that much. I have always liked the "wander a realish environment and do dumb shit," but I could see how the media would think this is a boring segment that should have been cut out.

The Hive was pretty disturbing. Crash Course was pretty fun though.

subversus said:
lol

Women React to Duke Nukem Forever

http://www.dorkly.com/video/17993/duke-nukem

they didn't get Valve joke though.

and do not close the tab in the first 20 seconds of the video!!

I was kind of expecting this to happen at some point. Question is whether it's parody of the arguments given by reviewers or that women really don't care about their representation in games and how many male reviewers somehow believe it be their 'duty' to point out that it's offensive in some way.

I'm going with the first, but I do believe that most games are not 'female representation friendly' anyway, so the second might count as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This game is not terrible. But it is not good. It is so incredibly mediocre. The game didn't make me want to stab myself but there are so many other better fps games that there is no reason to play this unless you are morbidly curious how this whole saga ended.

ZealousD said:
This game is not terrible. But it is not good. It is so incredibly mediocre. The game didn't make me want to stab myself but there are so many other better fps games that there is no reason to play this unless you are morbidly curious how this whole saga ended.

Gameplay is mediocre, sure, but the persona of duke is interesting enough to elevate this from average to above average in my review book.

Played the PC version, few hiccups, set pieces were nice, lots of variety, really meaty sounding guns that I enjoyed shooting (I think my fave was the the shotgun). Load times didn't bug me. Things were relatively smooth. Thinking about LA Noire, talk about load times. Sometimes you would fail a quest in that game only to load for 30 seconds to replay the cinematic you just saw, which you would skip and wait another 30 seconds for the quest to restart.

7.5. Certainly I was a huge huge fan of Duke Nukem 3D which I played to death, so nostalgia plays a role in my score. But why shouldn't it? If it makes me feel good to revisit the Duke universe, then that's just fine with me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm not sure I like where they took his character this time around. They made him more of a goof and less of a badass.

ZealousD said:
I'm not sure I like where they took his character this time around. They made him more of a goof and less of a badass.
I think Duke was the same, the world around him though has lost any sense of reality.
DN3D felt like a world Duke was in, DNF feels like a world made for Duke so he seems safe and dull. When everyone loves everything he does a lot of what could be funny is lost.
Hopefully they drop the end tease,I can't see how Duke as president would be much different then Duke as living Idol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I finally got DNF (via OnLive, actually). Fucking LOVE it so far. I've never played a Duke game before, but so far this game is incredible. I just blew up the mothership, then stopped at the checkpoint.

All the little attention to detail, and toy-like interactions with stuff... It's so much fun. The RC Car part put me over the edge. Too good.

Sure, the game looks about 5 years old, but who didn't expect that? My guess is the game gets much worse the further I get into it, because so far, it's great - unlike every single review suggests.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dacvak said:
I finally got DNF (via OnLive, actually). Fucking LOVE it so far. I've never played a Duke game before, but so far this game is incredible. I just blew up the mothership, then stopped at the checkpoint.

All the little attention to detail, and toy-like interactions with stuff... It's so much fun. The RC Car part put me over the edge. Too good.

Sure, the game looks about 5 years old, but who didn't expect that? My guess is the game gets much worse the further I get into it, because so far, it's great - unlike every single review suggests.

If you like DNF, be sure to play Duke 3D too, as it honestly is a much better game than DNF (and I liked DNF).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Combichristoffersen said:
If you like DNF, be sure to play Duke 3D too, as it honestly is a much better game than DNF (and I liked DNF).
I guess I'll have to. I'm having a blast with DNF, though.

legacyzero

Banned
Theres only one problem with this game. THE HORRRRRRRIBLE LOAD TIMES. Otherwise, it's standard Duke Nukem. I dont get all the hate.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
legacyzero said:
Theres only one problem with this game. THE HORRRRRRRIBLE LOAD TIMES. Otherwise, it's standard Duke Nukem. I dont get all the hate.

The load times are only horrible on consoles though. The load times in the PC version were generally very short.

Y2Kev

ZealousD said:
The shotgun feels really good.

RedSwirl

Y2Kev said:
So my tolerance for kusoge is, as always, higher than most, but I think this is...good. I'm at the Duke Dome, and to me the game is obviously not finished/polished and has some pacing issues, but the action is quite good. And the setpieces are fun. The trailer defense was great, and I liked the scaffolding bit as well.

This...is better than Blackops.

Playing PS3 version. It's fine.

*sigh* Yes.

I'm headed to the Duke Dome and the only real problem with the PS3 version is the load times. I've already encountered one part where retrying a dozen times is made that much more unbearable by the load times. If that persists I could quit the game and just wait until I can get the PC version on a Steam sale for like $20. This game definitely shouldn't have been released at full retail price but it's not unplayable or hopelessly outdated by any stretch of the imagination.

The thing about this game is that it feels like it should have come out in 2005. From a tech and graphics standpoint that makes it clearly inferior to everything that's out today, but from a gameplay standpoint that honestly doesn't make it any less fun than today's shooters. Like Y2Kev said, I'm definitely having more fun with this than I had with the Black Ops campaign which I thought was just bland.

Also, I honestly like the way this game begins by showing you a vertical slice of Duke's everyday life before shit goes down. I like how the game isn't afraid to wait a good half-hour before giving you a gun. More games need to do that to better develop the story.

Playing this is making me think about returning to some least gen FPSs to see if today's shooters have really advanced all that much.

RedSwirl said:
Playing this is making me think about returning to some least gen FPSs to see if today's shooters have really advanced all that much.

They havnt, I can go back to the doom era and have just as much fun, Somethings for instance like they way the projectiles behave and obviously the visual things like animations and graphics have changed and if you going back to Doom/Marathon then obviously the AI is improved but at its core Big FPS like Halo Reach and Black Ops are essentially marathon with rpg elements (quick time events in the case of blops) and shiny graphics.

Things like F.E.A.R and Halo do a good job of making the AI better and creating more immersive environments but the genre has been the same from a gameplay perspective since at least 2001.

JRW

Finished it on PC few days ago,It's one of those games that you finish and pretty much forget about immediately. Not a very memorable experience.

Y2Kev

Finished it. Awesome piece of kusoge.

The theme rocks! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH COD4 MOCKERY FFFF COD FANS YEAHHH

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just played the PS3 Demo.
It looks kind of rough but fun.

The two weapon limit is wack.

Somnid

Just finished it. Either the console versions have major issues or I really don't think reviewers played the same game. It's not the best game and it has issues but it was actually pretty fun. Technically it needed work (crossfire causes shadow flicker and makes it unplayable, I had to turn one card off) but it had decent hardware detection, logitech g-series support, steamworks and a good host of extras which was pleasantly surprising. The levels were also nice and varied, short enough they don't get bogged down with gimmickery and then you're off to something else. Maybe not worth $50 (or $60) but certainly something I'd recommend for a good Steam deal.

King Of Fuh said:
Gameplay is mediocre, sure, but the persona of duke is interesting enough to elevate this from average to above average in my review book.

Played the PC version, few hiccups, set pieces were nice, lots of variety, really meaty sounding guns that I enjoyed shooting (I think my fave was the the shotgun). Load times didn't bug me. Things were relatively smooth. Thinking about LA Noire, talk about load times. Sometimes you would fail a quest in that game only to load for 30 seconds to replay the cinematic you just saw, which you would skip and wait another 30 seconds for the quest to restart.

7.5. Certainly I was a huge huge fan of Duke Nukem 3D which I played to death, so nostalgia plays a role in my score. But why shouldn't it? If it makes me feel good to revisit the Duke universe, then that's just fine with me.

No it isn't. I loved, loved, loved DN3D this isn't Duke...I kinda expected more. I mean it's not unplayable but it's so disappointing I just feel so sad...I hyped this for like ever. I kinda guess this is how Deus Ex fans felt with Invisible war.

White Man

This and Alice are the two games I've been playing lately. The near immediate post-death load times in Alice really highlight how Duke's lethargic loads basically ruin the game for me. After like 2-3 deaths in DNF I -need- to put in something else. The loads frustrate me way more than any of the jankiness present in the actual gameplay :-( Unfortunately I lack a decent gaming rig at the moment.

schick85

Duke Nukem Forever is the Terminator 3 for me. Made me wait for a long ass time for it to come out and ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Good Lord, Insane difficulty is no joke, so many cheap deaths

Each enemy is built like a fucking tank, in normal mode 1-2 shotty blast dead piggy, in Insane at least 5+, lord help you if it goes cukoo for coco puffs (Berserk Mode) taking almost a quarter of your ammo just to down 1 of them

Oh wells, 2 days, $4 in rental fee (RedBox), #72nd platinum

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/GraveRobberX.png

The consensus seems to be all over the place for this. Is it worth getting for $40? I haven't played an fps since killzone 3, and I just want an entertaining game that will last more than 4 hours and that might be fun to play through certain levels over again.

canadian crowe said:
The consensus seems to be all over the place for this. Is it worth getting for $40?
I doubt it, but what I'm sure of is that consensus does not work that way, I mean the all over the place thing.

madmook

When I first played the 360 demo, I came away totally offput. But yesterday I played the PS3 demo, and it seemed like a different experience. I enjoyed it. Apparently the PS3 version is more technically sound, as shown by the digitalfoundry face-off.

Anyways, ordered the PS3 version from Amazon, as they have it at a reasonable price ($38), kinda looking forward to playing it lol.

GraveRobberX said:
Good Lord, Insane difficulty is no joke, so many cheap deaths

Each enemy is built like a fucking tank, in normal mode 1-2 shotty blast dead piggy, in Insane at least 5+, lord help you if it goes cukoo for coco puffs (Berserk Mode) taking almost a quarter of your ammo just to down 1 of them

Oh wells, 2 days, $4 in rental fee (RedBox), #72nd platinum

*Sig image?*

You didn't make a post with a 'signature' attached I hope?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
PedroLumpy said:
You didn't make a post with a 'signature' attached I hope?

Nah, I just put it up when I get platinum for said game

I would get ban hammered out of existence if I 'signature' every post, come on man

Fixed my last post, I made it a URL rather an image, I apologize

The load times for this game are seriously horrendous. It was 8 minutes 30 seconds from selecting "continue campaign" to the "press space to continue" appearing, then I uninstalled the AMD dual-core optimiser the game shoved on without asking me and that cut it down to 5 minutes 5 seconds. My computer is an old shitbox, but there's seriously no reason any game should take this long to load.

As a point of comparison, Left 4 Dead 2 takes a fraction of that time (I can go from launching the game from Steam to playing in less time than Duke takes to load from his menu). I'd think it was some clever meta joke about Duke not coming early if it wasn't so terrible.

Xellos

canadian crowe said:
The consensus seems to be all over the place for this. Is it worth getting for $40? I haven't played an fps since killzone 3, and I just want an entertaining game that will last more than 4 hours and that might be fun to play through certain levels over again.

It's probably an 8 hour game, and I though some of the levels were pretty good. I think it's worth $40, but going in you should know that:

1) DNF looks and plays like a Xbox1-era FPS. It is more or less a Half Life 2/Halo knock-off set in the Duke universe (characters, enemies, weapons, locations).

The game is all about variety in the gameplay, even if some of it isn't particularly well designed or implemented. For example, early on the game requires you to pull a safety-brake and stop a free-falling elevator. There's a woman on the elevator screaming for you to pull the brake the entire time, but if you pull too soon the brake overheats and you'll probably die. This section is easy once you figure out when to pull the brake, but the game doesn't explain anything except for which button pulls the brake. You might die a couple of times figuring it out. The game is full of sequences like that: platforming, driving, swimming, puzzles, and minigames of variable quality that are there to break up the combat.

The combat itself is probably the most 90's thing about DNF's gameplay since the weapons, items, and enemies are straight out of DN3D. The shotgun sends aliens flying, the steroids act like Doom's berserk powerup, the shrinker preps enemies for stomping, and the devestator is a classic room-clearing mega weapon. Don't forget to aim for the exploding barrels! I wish the game gave access to the more interesting weapons earlier than it does, but I quite liked the combat in DNF anyway.

2) The game has some technical issues on consoles. 30 second load times between levels and after each death for both PS3 and 360. Both versions have some blurry textures. 360 version has issues with tearing. PS3 performs pretty well other than the loading. PC version is the way to go if you have the option. I played the PS3 version and was fine with everything except the loading.

3) The game revels in gross situations, machismo, and silliness. Juvenile, low-brow humor abounds. I got a kick out of all the cheese. Your mileage may vary.

Played the first little bit today. It's pretty fun. It's certainly not a 3/10 game. It seems more in line with a 7/10.

It is juvenile, so I'm not finding it really funny, but it is a nice change of pace.

The multiplayer is surprisingly fun though, if not insanely populated (PS3).

Definitely worth the $40 I paid, and I look forward to playing some more.

Card Boy

Banned
angular graphics said:
Gearbox announced a patch is in the works for the PC version that will allow the player to carry up to 4 weapons! Freaking finally! How stupid were they to launch it with that stupid, stupid, limit only to patch it in later.. sigh.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2422571&postcount=1

Other improvements include Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) support, push-to-talk voice chat, and the ability to adjust FOV.

I was just about to post this, i think i might buy this from Greenman Gaming when it goes on sale.

angular graphics said:
Gearbox announced a patch is in the works for the PC version that will allow the player to carry up to 4 weapons! Freaking finally! How stupid were they to launch it with that stupid, stupid, limit only to patch it in later.. sigh.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=2422571&postcount=1

Other improvements include Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) support, push-to-talk voice chat, and the ability to adjust FOV.

Released: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5978/

- 4-weapon inventory option in single player campaign
- MP Server favorites
- Dedicated server overhaul
- FOV can be modified
- Change VOIP to push-to-talk (bandwidth fix)
- VAC anti-cheat system enabled
- Support for Japanese Steam ID’s for PC release in Japan
- Auto-aim fix
- Blood effects on surfaces behind enemies when shot
- Steam.exe no longer uses an unusually high amount of CPU
- Texture quality improvements
- Fixes to prevent single player and multiplayer save data corruption
- Leaderboard exploit fixed
- AMD Dual-Core Optimizer no longer automatically installed (fixes rare bugs with Intel processors)
- Crash/compatibility fixes and other minor bugs

.hacked

picked the game up on the cheap last wednesday, so far I am liking it. On the truck level now and unless the game takes a dramatic dive in quality from this point on I am very happy with this $30 purcahse.

Minions

Hoping the patch they released recently for PC makes its way to PS3/Xbox360 soon. The patch basically puts the game where it should have been before release. (Multi weapon swaps) I wish they would have made it old school with health packs and such, but I guess this patch is more than I can really ask for.

Top Bottom