• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two - Review Thread

thefool

Some good points, however you can also argue that:

BG work is exactly what is depicted in the film - putting messianic messages on many planets if one day a BG sister will be in need she can use them to her benefit. This is what Paul is angry about - he had BG training, he knows Fremens' beliefs are just BG social engineering. That is why he is conflicted at the beginning of making use of them and angry at Jessica. I thought the way they portrayed her was very novel and probably very much in line with how BG should be - plans within plans.

I might have misunderstood your post (or mine might come across confusing) but im not supporting that BG plans are not depicted.
In what way is Chani role in the movie useful for the BG? She openly defies Fremen beliefs (which most likely would lead to some beheading lol) and undermines Paul.

Cyberpunkd

I might have misunderstood your post (or mine might come across confusing) but im not supporting that BG plans are not depicted.
In what way is Chani role in the movie useful for the BG? She openly defies Fremen beliefs (which most likely would lead to some beheading lol) and undermines Paul.
Ok, I get your point now. Looking into it her behavior might have been for the benefit of movie audience but you are right - it is inconsistent with her portrayal in the books. They shouldn’t make her in direct opposition to Paul given that…well, she gives birth to twins.

Jsisto

Just got out. Amazing film, but I strongly dislike the very end (the end as a whole was perfect) as well as a certain characters arc…. You all know….

I accept there had to be some changes to adapt it to the big screen, most made sense, but this was just way too much of a departure from the book. Very conflicted…

Jsisto

What was up with Irulans outfits becoming increasingly metallic and terminator like every time she appeared. I literally laughed out loud in the theatre by the end.

Vyse

Gold Member
I might pull an absolute psychopath move and go to the movies by myself to watch this. Not gonna roll the dice and bring my 15 month old and hope she sleeps through it.
I’ve done that many times with my kids when they were little. Roll the dice my friend!

Vyse

Gold Member
I just finished watching part one. Really enjoyed it. Started and stopped a few times over the past few months. Planning on seeing part 2 in IMAX on Tuesday. Few of my friends watched it and said it was fantastic. So hyped.

Marvel14

Banned
I guess I'm an outlier on this one, but... I think it's a tragedy that Villeneuve's considerable talent is being wasted on _three_ of these films. That's so many years in which he could have produced something lasting, thoughtful, anything.

I didn't completely hate part 1, it was servicable; but it easily stands as his most forgettable cinematic product, and I think I've watched all his major US films (top: Arrival, Enemy, Prisoners, Blade Runner, Sicario... everything except his earlier French works). Arrival is beautifully constructed, Enemy is startling, and Blade Runner is a visually perfect continuation of its sci-fi franchise that's alone easily worth more than 20 Dune films.

I think it's the saturation of commercial elements in these Dune films, and borderline-Disneyish use of celebrities. Momoa always feels too corny for anything but a comic-book film, please don't hire him again, and Zendaya makes me wish to vomit a bit at her overwhelming blandness and lack of character, particularly when I realize someone thought she should be Mary Jane of all characters. I understand that Villeneuve wants his paycheck at this point in his career, but it's all a bit tiring.

I'll watch it once, but begrudgingly. I actually enjoy the Lynch Dune for its strangeness and read the book like every kid in that era, and I still find these new adaptations to be trying too hard to feel epic, and just a bit too much like popcorn blockbusters.

Also who the hell thought that feminine-face Chalamet and ugly ass Zendaya should ever have replaced these two... unbelievable.

Reviewed.com-RvEW-27365-dune-1984-hbo-max.png
Oh no the cast is diverse therefore the movie sucks.

It's like saying Hogwarts Legacy sucks because the world's creator isn't woke.

Judge the thing on its artistic merits and not some bullshit political ideology. There are other gaming forums where you can do that to your hearts content.

killatopak

Finally watched this and the first movie. Thanks for everyone who recommended cool giant worms in the other thread.

Honestly made me hunger for more so I thought about reading the books. Accidentally saw a reading list of the first six books with some synopsis. All I can say is WTF. I don’t know if I’m even willing to continue from what I know in the movie. This is like someone who never watched Terminator past T2 at a crossroad to watch the sequels or not.

Ulysses 31

Finally watched this and the first movie. Thanks for everyone who recommended cool giant worms in the other thread.

Honestly made me hunger for more so I thought about reading the books. Accidentally saw a reading list of the first six books with some synopsis. All I can say is WTF. I don’t know if I’m even willing to continue from what I know in the movie. This is like someone who never watched Terminator past T2 at a crossroad to watch the sequels or not.
The SyFy Mini series from 2000 is a lot more complete than any of the movies so far.

MV5BM2EyZDI5ZDYtNjY1Ny00OTA0LWI2YWUtYjU0N2M5N2VmOTkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTIwMTE0._V1_.jpg

thefool

Anyone who slightly liked these movies should absolutely read the books. They are much better and yes the sequels can get very weird.
There's is an entire texture to these stories, machinations, political intrigue, world-building that is entirely absent from these films that really elevates the stakes of the story.
And if you're an audiobook fan, they are pretty damn good and super comfy to listen but don't miss the glossary at the end of the first book because it really helps first time readers to understand the terminology of these books.

there was a little callback to Banes theme from The Dark Knight rises in there, too.
Yup

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

So these two movies encompass the whole first book? Any big story deviations?
From what I hear(ain't seen part 2 yet), the guild barely gets a mention(if at all) while they practically control who gets to space travel. In other works they plot and scheme to ensure that the spice continues to flow. In the Lynch movie they don't let there be any misunderstandings about who's really in charge. This IMO dumbs down the universe.

Some important (IMO) lore isn't even hinted like why there's no computers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just watched. An absolute marvel of a film. Probably one of the best cinematic epics ever made.

I was very disappointed by the finale in the first movie, but here the finale is worth the wait. Insane visuals and setpieces. I loved how story driven it still felt at the end despite the big war scene. Great villains. Great story arc for Paul. Loved the visuals.

I would say this is probably the best epic movie ive seen since The Dark Knight and even better than mad max. This is how you do big epic sci fi blockbusters. This is why i go to the movies.

P.S I find it hilarious that filmmakers can create these massive big budget epics in 2 years while video game studios take 5-6 years to make copy pasta games that cost just as much if not more. The video games industry is a scam from top to bottom.

Jsisto

Just watched. An absolute marvel of a film. Probably one of the best cinematic epics ever made.

I was very disappointed by the finale in the first movie, but here the finale is worth the wait. Insane visuals and setpieces. I loved how story driven it still felt at the end despite the big war scene. Great villains. Great story arc for Paul. Loved the visuals.

I would say this is probably the best epic movie ive seen since The Dark Knight and even better than mad max. This is how you do big epic sci fi blockbusters. This is why i go to the movies.

P.S I find it hilarious that filmmakers can create these massive big budget epics in 2 years while video game studios take 5-6 years to make copy pasta games that cost just as much if not more. The video games industry is a scam from top to bottom.

Any scenes involving the worms were epic beyond belief. You really felt the scale and how terrifyingly powerful they are in IMAX. The worm riding finale and everything leading up to and immediately after it was unreal. I was grinning ear to ear. I was practically ready to go to war for Muad’dib! 😂. Really got swept up in the excitement in a way no other movie has made me feel before. And of course as amazing as it was, Hans Zimmer just elevates it to an entirely other level.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I might pull an absolute psychopath move and go to the movies by myself to watch this. Not gonna roll the dice and bring my 15 month old and hope she sleeps through it.
I saw it tonight if your cinema shows it at the ear bleeding volume mine did, nobody is sleeping through it.

Just finished watching it. They took some creative liberties with the story and cut out some very important characters, but overall I was extremely happy with the execution.

The cinematography, the atmosphere, the soundtrack - it was all masterfully done. Probably one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time, and a great adaption of the books. Related to my earlier point, if they can bring in some of the cut characters and worldbuilding into the third movie then it would be a great way to end the trilogy. Either way, I would gladly pay to watch another entry.

Only thing I'm not happy about is...
... The portrayal of Chani. She acts like a pissed off teenager near the end of a movie, and not like a freedom fighter that understands why things are the way they are. Not an ounce of practicality to be found with way she handles Paul's decision to take Princess Irulan as way to legitimize his claim.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Oh no the cast is diverse therefore the movie sucks.

It's like saying Hogwarts Legacy sucks because the world's creator isn't woke.

Judge the thing on its artistic merits and not some bullshit political ideology. There are other gaming forums where you can do that to your hearts content.
Reading something into the post, evidently. I never used the word "diverse." I only cited 3 particularly bad choices of casting: Momoa, for being corny and tainted by association with Marvel trash; Zendaya, for being simply a bad actress who is not remotely beautiful like the book/previous film would suggest for the character; and the new Paul, who is a decent actor but oddly small and effeminate for the role, a major downgrade from McLachlan.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Reading something into the post, evidently. I never used the word "diverse." I only cited 3 particularly bad choices of casting: Momoa, for being corny and tainted by association with Marvel trash; Zendaya, for being simply a bad actress who is not remotely beautiful like the book/previous film would suggest for the character; and the new Paul, who is a decent actor but oddly small and effeminate for the role, a major downgrade from McLachlan.
Oh cmon now..,,Zendaya isn’t exactly my type, and she’s clearly not yours either….but to say that she’s not beautiful is a bit ridiculous. Im not a big fan of Momoa either, but I think he fit the character well. Not going to go too into it for obvious reasons if you’re familiar with Dune, but Duncan is considered basically the perfect male specimen. In that alone I think it was a good casting. Hes a friggin tank.

This movie was incredible. I'm having trouble narrowing down my thoughts to individual aspects because everything in this movie comes together as a coherent and impressive whole.

I think Denis Villeneuve saw the incoming AI takeover of Hollywood and said, "Psh. Watch some robots make this." and turned out one of the greatest artistic achievements humans have ever made. That's how much I admire and respect this movie.

Cyberpunkd

From what I hear(ain't seen part 2 yet), the guild barely gets a mention(if at all) while they practically control who gets to space travel. In other works they plot and scheme to ensure that the spice continues to flow. In the Lynch movie they don't let there be any misunderstandings about who's really in charge. This IMO dumbs down the universe.
TBH it would have been hell to explain this to someone that didn’t read the books:

So there’s the emperor, but really who rules are a bunch of space slugs swimming in a tank…

apowhungo

Just got back from laser IMAX, my ears are still ringing.

I can't stop thinking about it. I didn't get the hype around Timmy Chalamet, even after the first movie, until now. The black and white scenes were some of the most unsettling shit I've ever seen and this movie is freakin' PG.

Denis is a god.

You're making an incredible mistake not seeing this proper IMAX if that's an option.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I was about to make a capeshit joke but then I realized that Paul has a cape and pretty much superpowers soooo...

I dunno, seems like a pretty modern story to me.
Well, it might surprise you to learn that Frank Herbert's Dune was originally published in 1965. That's 11 years before the first Star Wars movie landed in cinemas. At the time of its release, the only book that seemed an apt comparison was The Lord of the Rings. Dune is literally foundational sci-fi - a lot has been borrowed and stolen over the years. Star Wars, Blade Runner, Star Trek - they all owe a debt to Dune. If it seems like a modern tale, imagine how ahead of its time it must have actually been.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Brilliant. Saw it in imax last night. One of the finest movie-going experiences I've ever had despite it being way too late for me lol. A few changes from the source material that I found curious but I didn't hate any of them. This is a real movie. The last time I felt like that coming out of the theater was with the return of the king.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Watched it on IMAX the other night, visuals and sound is superb. Was one hell of an experience. However it was light on the action side. I was really hoping for a great battle scenes.

ending battle felt like a cake walk for the fremen, how was empire and harkonnen army was such a woos?

Last edited:
Well, it might surprise you to learn that Frank Herbert's Dune was originally published in 1965. That's 11 years before the first Star Wars movie landed in cinemas. At the time of its release, the only book that seemed an apt comparison was The Lord of the Rings. Dune is literally foundational sci-fi - a lot has been borrowed and stolen over the years. Star Wars, Blade Runner, Star Trek - they all owe a debt to Dune. If it seems like a modern tale, imagine how ahead of its time it must have actually been.
My point was modern storytelling is "Look at me I have a cape and superpowers" and by that metric Dune qualifies.

Watched it on IMAX the other night, visuals and sound is superb. Was one hell of an experience. However it was light on the action side. I was really hoping for a great battle scenes.

ending battle felt like a cake walk for the fremen, how was empire and harkonnen army was such a woos?

The fremen are on home territory so to me it made sense. Desert power and all that shit.

No offense, but that is one of the most oversimplifications of a story as complex as Dune that I’ve ever heard. Did we read the same book and or/watch the same movie?
It was a JOKE. And dude came back with self fart-sniffing "You ignorant fool, Dune was scribed upon the parchment in the greatest traditions of sci-fi literature so many moons before even such seminal works as Star Wars..."

Seriously, you motherfuckers sometimes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom