• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two - Review Thread

Jsisto

Soooooo, he should be dreaming about his MOTHER instead? This isn't Game of Thrones :p

As for Zendaya, I'd like to throw out a similarly built slim woman who instead oozes sex appeal when the role calls for it...Zoe Saldana.

Imagine a 20 years younger Zoe as Chani..
a4kDy9R.jpg

I get the desire for a lanky, rangey, tough looking woman as Chani. But Zendaya can't really play to other aspects of Chani and I didn't buy the relationship with Paul for a SECOND, other than that every other Freman woman was equally as rough around the edges and....well..... any port in the storm, eh? Makes Irulan seem soft and welcoming by comparison for sure.

“Listen…my heart belongs to you forever, but let me impregnate Irulan just ONCE. It’s merely to keep peace among the great houses.“

Tams

Just saw it.

The cinematography was incredible, as expected

But I wasn't a fan of the changes to the story, and the time jumps were really poorly done.

Overall, a good watch.

My partner and I are going to the cinema again to rewatch this. This time we're going to have dinner with our movie (Cinema Luxe).

I really can't wait to see that opening scene again. It's just so amazingly well done.

KrakenIPA

Well I watched it tonight, it was great! DV has done it again! A few lines and a few scenes didn't land for me but they didn't make me want to walk out. Walken seemed a little out of place, I really want to see the Directors Cut for more Emporor Shaddam IV and Irulan (and outtake footage). I am watching Dune part 1 at home now and it looks sharper for some reason.

I give it a 8.5 out of 10!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well I watched it tonight, it was great! DV has done it again! A few lines and a few scenes didn't land for me but they didn't make me want to walk out. Walken seemed a little out of place, I really want to see the Directors Cut for more Emporor Shaddam IV and Irulan (and outtake footage). I am watching Dune part 1 at home now and it looks sharper for some reason.

The way some of the scenes flowed in this theatrical version definitely made me think there will be more in a director’s cut.

Side note, I’m going to try, once again, to get through the books. But I’m only like 20% of the way through the first book and I just spent the last 20 minutes reading about inconsequential logistics and debate of spice crawler manufacturing. I get world building, and I’m sure a lot of people appreciate this kind of detail, but my ADHD-ass brain can only take so much of this before I just space out 😂

CGNoire

Oh no the cast is diverse therefore the movie sucks.

It's like saying Hogwarts Legacy sucks because the world's creator isn't woke.

Judge the thing on its artistic merits and not some bullshit political ideology. There are other gaming forums where you can do that to your hearts content.
Wtf is wrong with you? Where is there even a mention of woke in that members post?

Does thinking zendaya's ugly or that chalamaine has a femine face = politics to you? Theres nothing inherently woke about those opinions. Maybe you should stop projecting.

CGNoire

She went with a mononumous name because she was inspired by the likes of Prince, Cher, and Madonna. As in, this is something a TON of artists do, and says absolutely nothing about her as a person.
"See guys its not Obnoxiously Pretenious. Shes just following the like of these other Obnoxiously Pretenious stars."

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

The way some of the scenes flowed in this theatrical version definitely made me think there will be more in a director’s cut.

Side note, I’m going to try, once again, to get through the books. But I’m only like 20% of the way through the first book and I just spent the last 20 minutes reading about inconsequential logistics and debate of spice crawler manufacturing. I get world building, and I’m sure a lot of people appreciate this kind of detail, but my ADHD-ass brain can only take so much of this before I just space out 😂
I utilize a reading tactic that I learned while reading Frank Herbert's prose 20 years ago. Basically you just scan a page (fast read) and then flip a page, and if what you read interests you and is pertinent to the last few pages, you just flip back and read it again! I do the same thing with GRRM's stuff.

Tams

They're just badly written, and it doesn't get any better.

CGNoire

For my money there is more life, personality, and FUN in almost any pic from Dune 1984 than the recent one. Such a great film across the board. I know it's rose colored nostalgia glasses for sure but I know I'll watch it AT KEAST 10 more times before I die and I suspect Dune pts 1&2 will get only 1 to 2 rewatches at most.
A main issue for me is Dennis's love affair with Monochromatic color palletes. 1984 dune looks so much more interesting.

Sadly, Denis does not do director's/extended cuts.

Poor interviewer was on the verge of tears.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

To say that Dr. Frank Herbert writes badly is dangerously false, but I would ask what you would compare it to, to come to that conclusion.

Having read all six of his books, the quality does take a nose dive. Dune is a masterpiece, but by christ, he needed a decent editor when he got to the latter books, to rein in his worst excesses and make a more coherent story.

KrakenIPA

Having read all six of his books, the quality does take a nose dive. Dune is a masterpiece, but by christ, he needed a decent editor when he got to the latter books, to rein in his worst excesses and make a more coherent story.
I haven't read a lot of Asimov but I hear its great! I'm more of a fantasy guy anyway, i guess that's why I like his books, as I've heard Paul's story as the classic Hero Plot. I also live in the PNW so I hear Dr. Herbert in the trees here.

Marvel14

Banned
Wtf is wrong with you? Where is there even a mention of woke in that members post?

Does thinking zendaya's ugly or that chalamaine has a femine face = politics to you? Theres nothing inherently woke about those opinions. Maybe you should stop projecting.
"borderline-Disneyish" is a not very subtle reference to woke agendas.

Disney's recent films haven't been pushing "celebrities". The leads in Little Mermaid, Snow White and Peter Pan were hardly household names.

They have been pushing diverse casts though.

Add a "supposedly " androgynous Chalomet to the mix to echo LGBTQ and you've got D&I horror bingo.

Whatever you think of the new Dune it is incredibly well made....that you'd hate it because of who is in it rather than what it does speaks volumes. It's becoming a pattern.

You just need to read between the lines.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gotta be honest, those are valid points. I don’t have a problem with scrawny girls, and I do think she can be beautiful in the right context(she has a nice face IMO). But the way she presents herself is very masculine and she always looks like she’s pissed off about something.
I think it’s the nose thing making her nostrils bigger. The dressed pictures her nose looked smaller! She does have a pretty face. But currently not a fan of her acting but pretty to look at! 😂 😃

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Why are they both so very weird?

thats just gen z for you. in hollywood. both are child actors who grew up in this insane bubble that is hollywood.

i saw him wearing a dress the other day. she also dresses like a dude. i saw harry styles who is also straight dressed up like a flamingo. its no longer a gay or straight thing. its a gen z thing. they are just odd people.

DKehoe

I saw it over the weekend and thought it was fantastic, even better than Part 1,

It had some changes from the book but I think they were for reasons that made sense for the adaptation. Like Lady Jessica and Chani are different from how they are in the book but I think it makes sense to use them to externalise Paul's internal conflict since we can't have that in the same way we do in the novel where he can have an inner monologue.

I might try and see an IMAX screening next week. Ideally, I'd have seen it that way for my first viewing but unfortunately wasn't able to.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I woke up thinking about this movie, which is a sign for me that it was something special.

I think one thing I really appreciated about the movie is how passively detailed things were, if that makes sense. Like, the book is incredibly dense and explains literally every possible thing it can in an up-front way; there’s an insane amount of world-building, and Frankly it’s a bit overwhelming for me.

But what I liked about the movie was that a lot of that detail was seen/implied, but left unspoken, so you still get the feeling that there’s an incredible amount of lore and minutiae there to explore if you want. The movie did a really great job of making me want to know more about the world, because it was constantly letting me peek through the cracks to Frank’s world, which was really tantalizing.

Damn I just really liked that movie. I wish I could go see it again today, but I’ve got work meetings until literally 9pm tonight 🥲

Toons

"See guys its not Obnoxiously Pretenious. Shes just following the like of these other Obnoxiously Pretenious stars."

You're reading too much into this lmao.

Its just a nomenclature thing. Auhtoes and artists have done this for decades if not centuries.

Toons

Comic book films, sorry -- they are all the same to me, embarrassments to adults.

Now YOU'RE the one being pretentious.

Agree to disagree... she has a boyish body and a smurf face.

Yea something tells me our views on women differ greatly.
He most certainly is. I don't think it fits to cast a guy who has a permanent child face without any jaw to speak of, and a voice register that is about an octave higher than the average adult male.

Then You're casting for all the wrong reasons, which is thankfully why you aren't given the choice of deciding such things.

Inspector Q

Never read the books and have only seen bits and pieces of the movie/series. Went ahead and watched Part 1 and then immediately went to go see this in the theater. Going to be honest...this movie was kind of a letdown to me.

Not sure if I should blame the source material or the adaptation, but my main issue was just a complete lack of emotional weight to anything going on. Just a few examples which I will put in spoilers just in case:

1. Gurney killing Rabban. Was there a reason we should have cared about that? At this point in the movie it was akin to a professional hunter killing a blind, one-legged poodle with a shotgun. Rabban was a coward and a moron and I am not sure why I should care that it was Gurney who killed him.

2. Feyd killing the Atreides dudes in the arena. Cool looking scene....with zero emotional impact. I was confused....was that dude he killed last someone we should have known? The movie made it out like he was someone special I should know about, but I guess not?

3. Paul killing the Baron and Feyd. These characters haven't interacted at all. Not really sure why I should care about Paul killing either of them. The duel was intense since I didn't actually know the outcome, but Paul and Feyd had no prior interaction so wasn't really that invested in it. Not even sure why Feyd stood up for the Emperor while he just let Vlad die.

4. Why was the Emperor such a frail weakling? Dude gets embarrassed and upstaged in his opening scene by his daughter. At the end, he kneels and kisses Paul's ring and I am like...um, ok? The dude was weak and his forces seemed incompetent. That brings me to my biggest gripe...

5. The enemy forces were extremely weak and ineffectual. The first you see of them in Part 2 they are getting headshot sniped with their bodies flopping all over the desert. Shit was comical. Everytime you see these Sardaukar dudes they are getting their asses kicked, as well. The Emperor brings "his entire army" to the planet and proceeds to immediately get annihilated. These broadword wielding dudes get annihilated without a sound towards the end when they disappear into the fumes. Then Paul comes into the throne room and everyone just lets him walk up to Vlad and kill him. The fucking LEADER of the enemy forces is right there for you to slaughter and you do nothing? Come on, man. That shit was lame.

6. Paul goes into the desert at night to "prove himself". Meets Chani. She shit talks him a bit. Then it's suddenly daytime and Paul is leading an ambush on some hapless enemy forces. Uh, did I miss a scene? Did he "prove himself"?

Sorry for the rant, lol. But yeah, I could keep going. My question is...are the enemies so weak and ineffectual in the books as they were in this movie? I couldn't really get invested in anything because it seemed like the Fremen always had the upper hand even before Paul got there. The only thing Harkonnens seem good at are killing their own men and attacking defenseless enemy positions. Once there is an opposition, they are easily beaten.

I am not saying the movie was complete shit. It looked and sounded amazing, but I was expecting a bit more than what I got when I heard everyone raving about it as the Messiah of film-making. It could be that I am just jaded beyond repair at this point, lol. Everyone seems to love it so it's probably me. Take care.

Last edited:
Soeaking of details conveyed visually: I have not read the books, and a question I had was, "How do they keep the worms from going underground while they're riding them? Sure, they hook in, but that doesn't seem like enough to 'pull' the worm up."

Then there was a maybe three-second shot of pulling up the worm's flap, revealing they have what looks like a blowhole facing forward. Wormy wouldn't want to get sand in there. Question answered without a line of dialogue. And the movie is full of well-conveyed details like that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I kinda wondered what happened to this guy...

WfomSzX.jpg

Part of the "chickification" of Dune, I guess. I did like some of the extended fight sequences but you can see that came at the expense of the strategic picture which Hawat was critical for. Again, I feel that on the small screen where those visuals and sound are less effective, these types of changes are gonna hurt the film long term as it does hollow out the story as mentioned above.

Though at some point there is gonna be a VR viewing experience of this film that will be AWESOME. I give it 5-10 years before an AI can "fill out" footage to give a full 180 image for VR. "Enhancing" films like this and recreating classic concerts from dated footage are probably 2 things I'm most excited about AI and VR.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Watched it two days ago, a day after release.

Pro's:
  • Its very much a hard sci-fi film - The emphasis in Dune Part Two is on expanding the lore, visioning the world of Arrakis. It is a freightening place and the movie, more so than the first, manages to convey this very contently.
  • Having read the books, Dune: PT manages to come close to its source material, which, as a fan of the classic books, is awesome to see. I feel Denis Villeneuve nails the epic aspect present in the books and succesfully conveys that to the screen.
  • Hans Zimmer's soundtrack is perfectly poignant. It befits the world to an astounding degree.
Con's:
  • The love story of Paul and Chani continues in a lot of subtle and not so subtle scenes. If anything, i didn't find it always clear to understand what a scene meant in the grander scheme of things.
  • Be prepared for a sit-in - Part Two is a long movie. At 2 hours 45 mins, its longer than most high-budget releases, but it strays away from Scorsesian lengths of duration. Nevertheless, due to the slow pace (It felt even slower than the already slow Part One) it had me looking at the clock to see when it was finishing. Fortunately, this occurred within the last 10-15 mins or so, so you can rest assured Dune is fine till then.
  • However, because of the slow uptick (Partially needed to establish the world of Dune) i felt the movie takes too long to reach its pivotal decision points. In other words: Part Two felt to me a lot like building up to a climax, only for it to build up even more. Yet, other meaningful scenes went by without a lot of impact. It created a sense of unevenness because the primary drive of the story is slow-paced to begin with.
Conclusion:
Dune: Part Two is one of those rare better than its sequel movies, primary because the atmosphere that is created feels wholly unique but never busy, in the way Avatar 2's world felt busy. Arrakis feels like a planet full of danger, yet also enough of interest to always explore ever further. It makes me hopeful to the conclusion of this trilogy, and i believe Denis Villeneuve has made a fantastic sequel, for appreciators of serious, hard sci-fi.

CGNoire

"borderline-Disneyish" is a not very subtle reference to woke agendas.

Disney's recent films haven't been pushing "celebrities". The leads in Little Mermaid, Snow White and Peter Pan were hardly household names.

They have been pushing diverse casts though.

Add a "supposedly " androgynous Chalomet to the mix to echo LGBTQ and you've got D&I horror bingo.

Whatever you think of the new Dune it is incredibly well made....that you'd hate it because of who is in it rather than what it does speaks volumes. It's becoming a pattern.

You just need to read between the lines.
I see. I thought disneification could also just mean shit quality.

I never saw Chalamaines casting as LGBT . I thoughy it had something to do with teenage heartthrobery or just your usual modern acceptance of ugly people in main roles in general. I dont see how LGBT people e would be thrilled to be representes by a straight white male?

I dont dislike or hate Dune. I love Dennis and Hans synergy. But come on it isnt weird if people dislike movies for casting.

Edit: after rereading RC's comment I think he meant Disney Channel aka Kidish casting...like I said Teen Hearthrobery

Last edited:

Tams

There wasn’t really a time jump!! 😂

Yes there were.

He's the doung the trial (cheating getting help from Chani) and then BOOM, he's leading an army on an attack on a hopper.

The book has some big, jarring time jumps, but this was an opportunity to smooth them out.

Hardensoul

Yes there were.

He's the doung the trial (cheating getting help from Chani) and then BOOM, he's leading an army on an attack on a hopper.

The book has some big, jarring time jumps, but this was an opportunity to smooth them out.
A few days to week doesn’t feel like time jump. I’m more talking about the 2yrs that didn’t happen. Which left out Chani losing her baby and birth of Alia, 2yr old completely gone from this adaptation

Tams

A few days to week doesn’t feel like time jump. I’m more talking about the 2yrs that didn’t happen. Which left out Chani losing her baby and birth of Alia, 2yr old completely gone from this adaptation

Sorry, but there should have been a scene where

he completed the challenge.

And yes, removing Alia being born and participating in the final attack and the birth and death of his child were madsive omissions and made the film poorer for it.

Cyberpunkd

My question is...are the enemies so weak and ineffectual in the books as they were in this movie? I couldn't really get invested in anything because it seemed like the Fremen always had the upper hand even before Paul got there.
It was better explained in the books, but long story short - Arrakis was such a shithole that Fremen just happened to grew up as the most hardened warriors in the galaxy (which everyone thought to be the Sardaukars, because their planet Salusa Secundus was also hell). Before Paul they never united so Harkonnens were able to subjugate those in the north (since those in the south didn't care).

Hardensoul

Sorry, but there should have been a scene where

he completed the challenge.

And yes, removing Alia being born and participating in the final attack and the birth and death of his child were madsive omissions and made the film poorer for it.
Gotcha, a lot was left on the editing floor! Thufir!
Totally gone, didn’t know what happened to him and no mention of the Mentats

Still enjoyed watching! Hope Villeneuve reverse his views against directors cut. Want that 4hr cut 😂

Marvel14

Banned
I see. I thought disneification could also just mean shit quality.

I never saw Chalamaines casting as LGBT . I thoughy it had something to do with teenage heartthrobery or just your usual modern acceptance of ugly people in main roles in general. I dont see how LGBT people e would be thrilled to be representes by a straight white male?

I dont dislike or hate Dune. I love Dennis and Hans synergy. But come on it isnt weird if people dislike movies for casting.

Edit: after rereading RC's comment I think he meant Disney Channel aka Kidish casting...like I said Teen Hearthrobery
Maybe I was too quick to jump ... but nowadays one cannot be too sure unfortunately.

The complaint about Chalomet being too feminine when he doesn't look that different from a young Kyle Mchlachlan, is suspect...is his feminine look objectionable becuase it's LGBT adjacent? Hmm....

Top Bottom