• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

danowat

Banned
I wonder if the lack of retail release is primarily down to how (at least in sales terms) poorly the previous games did?.

£55 is mental, for a game that is very likely, once it hits retail, to be heavily discounted, and having a digital release is a great way to control the price and (force) people into paying way over the odds.

I wonder if the lack of retail release is primarily down to how (at least in sales terms) poorly the previous games did?.

£55 is mental, for a game that is very likely, once it hits retail, to be heavily discounted, and having a digital release is a great way to control the price and (force) people into paying way over the odds.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the physical release everywhere outside of the US was due to the situation in France, at least that's what I read here anyway.

SomTervo

Yeah. £55 is definitely pushing the limit of the 'games are more financially worthwhile than cinema/eating out' ratio.

I'm going to be going in digital after trading in other PS4 games I'm bored to death with (so relatively I'll be getting it for about £20), so don't feel too bad about it. But £55 still takes the fucking piss. I'll be calling up Sony for a refund it I'm in any way dissatisfied.

pa22word

...what

The Dead Island games selling as well as they did is why they got the budget and high end publisher they got with this game. Both Dead Island games did very well for Techland.

Also, as previously mentioned, the delay supposedly has something to due with the situation in France and the game's setting of quasi-istanbul.

tuna_love

Banned

Well this is the first game in the series. But I thought Dead Island sold pretty well.

danowat

Banned
...what

The Dead Island games selling as well as they did is why they got the budget and high end publisher they got with this game. Both Dead Island games did very well for Techland.

Also, as previously mentioned, the delay supposedly has something to due with the situation in France and the game's setting of quasi-istanbul.

Maybe so, but they were heavily discounted at retail, fairly quickly after release.

Maybe they just want to get a bit more of a return.

Christ.

If the previous games did poorly they wouldn't making a sequel with this game now (and DL is basically an unofficial sequel to DI), and even less one which has been in development for several years.

jesu

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the physical release everywhere outside of the US was due to the situation in France, at least that's what I read here anyway.

Nah, it wasn't to do with France but someone fucked up getting the discs printed somehow.

So I watched the first 15 minutes. Is it implied that everyone is infected and those shots are the only thing that keeps the survivors from turning? Is that why the player character can get away with being bitten and attacked?

pa22word

So I watched the first 15 minutes. Is it implied that everyone is infected and those shots are the only thing that keeps the survivors from turning? Is that why the player character can get away with being bitten and attacked?

Yeah.

...and then like 10 mins later the PC jumps off a crane to a ~80ft drop and lives because he was padded by half a foot of garbage >____>

Been playing Co-op on ps4 for the past couple of hours and despite some clunky early level stuff the game is quite fun and you can really have some strategy in terms of dealing with the zombies in MP

its surprisingly a fun game..i dont think its revolutionary but its certainly not crap

SomTervo

Been playing Co-op on ps4 for the past couple of hours and despite some clunky early level stuff the game is quite fun and you can really have some strategy in terms of dealing with the zombies in MP

its surprisingly a fun game..i dont think its revolutionary but its certainly not crap

Thanks for the perspective. I've got lunch in an hour and still unsure whether I'll go trade in other games for PSN credit to get this.

More posts like this please!

Tak3n

Banned
That stun animation is a nice touch...

make sure you look around as well, I just spent 5 mins killing 10 zombies, done that, looked to my left to see a switch that turned a puddle they were standing in to a electric puddle!

I've been playing this for about 5 hours now. It's a bit of a slow starter but I'm having a blast right now.

Once you progress through the story a bit, and it turns dark out ...

...you will be spam invaded by people being the zombie. The multiplayer matches are kinda long, but I've only been invaded and haven't had a full coop group to fend the fiends off.

It's pretty fun and will keep me busy for a while.

4/5 bloody zombie fingers.

MavFan619

Banned
On PS4, wasn't really looking forward to the game and just split the cost with my brother who was looking to get it. Only did the prologue and some more afterwards. I can actually see myself getting hooked, pretty fun from my first hour with the game. Can't go too into detail (didn't play too much at night yet when things apparently get crazier) as far as performance but nothing seemingly too bad so far. Looking forward to upgrading my free running abilities as some of the upgrades look fun to have.

jediyoshi

Not everyone everywhere. The player character was bitten and infection is now held back by shots.

Yaari

Thanks to whoever posted about the 20$ thing. I wanted the game but was short on cash. Perfect solution. Awesome.

Customization seems to be limited to preset outfits and coop buddies are just carbon copies Chris redfeilds, so no on the gender thing.
Welp, used bargain bin for me then. If devs don't want to put the effort in for full customization when they advertise customization I won't give them my money.

the trick the game uses for dynamic shadows when the torch is on pees me off. It looks awfully cheap and wrong sometimes.

Other than that, it looks pretty good though.

drotahorror

Welp, used bargain bin for me then. If devs don't want to put the effort in for full customization when they advertise customization I won't give them my money.

haha

Anyways, coming from someone who hated Dead Island I'm really diggin this so far. I love scavenging for some reason.

Catdaddy

From the IGN review in progress

Making things more difficult, Dying Light imposes some sharp limitations at first. My weaksauce improvised weapons break frequently, forcing me to switch in fresh ones, or hang back and repair the broken ones with spare parts.

I have to admit one of my least favorite things about Dead Island.. I don't mind weapons breaking gimmick but when it's 2 swings and broke and the thing is still alive, bleh....

c0Zm1c

Still waiting for simplycdkeys to ship my code - still saying "Pre order" despite it being released in the UK on steam too.

I was going to order the game from there (cheapest price I've seen) but then I saw a comment on the Overclockers forum about them not sending the keys out until when the retail versions ship in February. Which is ridiculous but it might explain why you haven't got yours yet. :(

pa22word

Welp, used bargain bin for me then.

Something tells me that if what the models looked like in coop were enough to change your mind on purchasing it, chances are good the guys making the game weren't going to get your money anyways.

From the IGN review in progress

I have to admit one of my least favorite things about Dead Island.. I don't mind weapons breaking gimmick but when it's 2 swings and broke and the thing is still alive, bleh....

It's IGN man. Anything that doesn't coddle them in a corner and read them a lullaby is going to get hammered over there for not being "accessible" enough.

I really don't know why anyone puts stock in what they say. They're the most mainstream of the mainstream press core, and anything that sways away from the generic mold plaster built crap on the AAA production line is going to get middling reviews and a "not for everyone..." from them.

Mista

Banned
Still no reviews?

edit:

Dying-Light_2015_01-26-15_001.jpg

Dying-Light_2015_01-26-15_002.jpg

Dying-Light_2015_01-26-15_005.jpg

Something tells me that if what the models looked like in coop were enough to change your mind on purchasing it, chances are good the guys making the game weren't going to get your money anyways.
I was skeptical from the get go. The developer doesn't have a sterling reputation and the preorder and review copy fiasco didn't so anything to entice me. Add that onto the fact I only heard about the game last week, I was never going to buy it on release. If it turns out to be solid, I'll simply wait for a cheap used copy.

pa22word

I was skeptical from the get go. The developer doesn't have a sterling reputation and the preorder and review copy fiasco didn't so anything to entice me. Add that onto the fact I only heard about the game last week, I was never going to buy it on release. If it turns out to be solid, I'll simply wait for a cheap used copy.

Seems to me like you're just in here trying to stir up an artificial controversy then.

the quick join is awesome

you can easily see who is playing at your story % and jump into their game to co-op.

Also unlike many notable launches there does not seem to be any disasterous multiplayer bugs.

Bah, bought the "season pass" and even redeemed the code online but I forgot to leave my PS4 in standby mode so I'll be waiting till after work to download it. Thanks for the heads up on that deal!

jediyoshi

It'd be lying if they said there wasn't customization or didn't acknowledge that it existed as well, truly a lose-lose.

Jobbs

Banned
Still no reviews?

For whatever reason, reviewers didn't get the game before yesterday. Because of this, I would put even less credibility than usual in any review that comes out today or tomorrow. It means the reviewer marathoned the game as fast as they could or didn't play it enough or both. There's no time to digest a game and form an applicable opinion to the average purchaser and write the article in only 24-48 hours.

Karak

I expected a review thread but I couldn't find one, how are you guys liking it so far?

I put up my thoughts recently and will probably put up a review in progress video soon but not a final. Seeing all versions I have to say I like it immensely and was really not sure what I was going to think. PC version is unoptimized but randomly will look awesome consoles do ok but have tearing. Its going to be a give and take kind of thing I think. Fun gameplay is what I am having though.

Top Bottom