• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

ironcreed

Banned
I haven't seen many X1 performance impressions - anyone have anything to share?

I have both the X1 and PS4 version on hold but will only get one of then after work, hoping to hear more impressions or comparisons. I've read a lot of positive things re: PS4 version so far. Can anyone provide more insight on the X1 performance compared to the PS4?

I usually get multiplat releases on PS4.

The game looks and plays great on Xbox One. No issues at all so far.

Tak3n

Banned
guys I kept wandering why I had no online options, remember after the prologue you have to turn it on to what option you want, mine was set as single player, change to public

Skyzard

Banned
Been enjoying it so far after getting the smoothness sorted. PC version drops frames from 60fps due to CPU usage going insane on the first core.
Locked it to 45fps with RTSS and it's decent now.

Story seems okay, hopefully it holds up and isn't too obvious. The whole secret documents thing ... eh, hope I'm surprised, and then surprised again.
@Conkerkid11, I thought that was annoying too
but it does kinda mean they need to rely on the other dude for supplies, and he is the target.

Running away at night is damn scary. The UV flashlight barely slows those guys down. Can't wait till I'm more agile and unlock some cooler moves.

Yep, it seems decent as expected, will be cool to check out some co-op later.
I tried be a zombie mode just messing around with the controls and he is so fast with the spiderman abilities. Really fun.

Question regarding ps4.
Do games install in the background while playing another? Got past the parkour training and can't continue due to install and wanted to play Grim Fandango while I wait?

MAX PAYMENT

Wall of impressions (from Xbox One version) as many folks would like to see what this game is about since reviews are lacking. (current time playing about 3 hours deep. 2 hours co-op. 1 hour single player) Also for those looking into the co-op 4 player madness, you need to get past the first 30 minute intro before it unlocks.

First thing first. Dying Light is by and large a Dead Island game and works off the cotails of what they already established. Wether this is good or bad, will be largely up to the individual player and their preference. So what does this mean.

Story in Dying Light is provided via cutscenes and showcases that the area the main character you play as is dealing with zombies in an open fashion. The outbreak has already occured for a unknown ammount of time and now you have two different factions fighting for power in the contained area. There is rumor of a cure or half cure that could cause issues and your sent into the containment zone. Unfortunatly things go bad from the start and you find yourself working with the locals to infiltrate their system for your gain.

Dying Light is a first person zombie, open world, melee based, game with some minor shooting gameplay. The huge boost in gameplay to this one is the verticality and parkour. Now you can run, jump, slide, climb, and work your way through the zombie hordes. Moves you can unlock that allow much more fluidity in combat from drop kicks, to jumping over zombies.The level up system seems robust with three skills trees. Your exp is ganied depending on what your doing. Fighting, looking for supplies or climbing around. So if you disliked the lack of mobility in Dead Island, which was server lacking imo, Dying Light is a playground in this sorts.

Fighting is melee based mostly but we know that there is gun. I've not been able to tackle the guns as I'm still too early to comment on that. There is a stamina bar down at the bottom of the screen that is similar to the one in Dead Island and each swing takes away from it. Not letting it recover will lead to the character running short of breath. As you fight, weapons do indeed take damage but now you can at least repair them on the fly, by simple holding a button, granted as long as you have the materials to repair them. I do believe some weapons eventually break all together and then can only be discarded or dismatled for parts. Weapons can also get modifications on them like electricity, etc. Combat feels fun, fast, and curb stomping viceral at times. You can knock a zombie down and literally go ape shit on them once on the ground. That being said zombies take a lot more hits and if you have a huge group of them, especiall the fast moving ones. Your in for some hurt.

The parkour elements start of a bit rough simple because your not used to the sort of verticality in first person that this game offers. After a short while with it though, you will find yourself jumping from ledge to car to buildings and you almost get in a zen like flow. The scariest thing being high up is running from a mob of zombies and not knownig what is at the bottom after you've run out of room to run. Luckily there are dumpsters and trash piles in a lot of places that allow you to jump from great distances and survive. There can be quite the feeling of anxiety being high up that I don't get from most games personally. I dig it though and it adds to the already anxious feeling.

Now the missions so far seem to be very typical of this games nature. Go hear, turn this on, collect this, do my bidding, etc. It actually makes sense from the story perspective as your earning your way in the camp, so I'm hoping this changes a bit as you prove your worth more but I doubt it.

Day and Night. During the day there can be a lot of zombie on your ass, but they move slow, are easy to get by, and can be dangerous in numbers. I've seen at least 20+ zombies on the screen at once if not more. At night, the more wild and crazy zombies appear and they can haul ass after you. There is nothing like hitting the button to look back and see a group of zombies chasing after you in slow motion as game then resumes normal play. I'd say the mechanics of the night and day system work well and it can be really scary at night if hordes of enemies relentlessly chasing you make you nervous. It also appears you can outrun or evade and loose some of these types but I'd need to play more to confirm. Luckily if you can make it to a save house, you can sleep to get back to daylight, but guess what... if you play during nighttime you get more exp gaining boost. So it's that reward/risk feeling.

The only negatives at the moment I forsee are the following:

You seem like an erand boy at the start and the missions haven't been anything super interesting yet. Very typical. I don't mind but for those seeking more, I can't tell you if it offers that yet. Time will tell.

The melee weapons breaking seems to be hit or miss with fans of Dead Island and I see the same reaction to Dying Light. I think this is offset though by the fact you don't have to go to a work bench and can be done right on the spot.

The voice acting is hit and miss. Some sound really good, some accents sound really bad. Otherwise it's fine.

That's about it so far for me otherwise I'm enjoying the more serious story. The setting is dark and drab. Def enjoy the day and night system and it rains and storms also. The parkour is great and once you get the feel for it, adds a ton to the gameplay and funfactor. Also I LOVE the music. Very 80's synth style. Reminds me of John Carpenter which I'm a huge fan of his movies and soundtracks. I'm sure there are some things I missed talking about in this wall-o-text but questions can be answered if folks have them. The framerate on xbox one seems decent, I've seen some dips here and there, or at least it felt like it. Also there is screen tearing for sure but it's not constant. Thanks for reading everyone.

Thank you for this.

drotahorror

Question regarding ps4.
Do games install in the background while playing another? Got past the parkour training and can't continue due to install and wanted to play Grim Fandango while I wait?

Did you get it digitally? If so go to the game on the XMB and press options and then information. See if it's actually done downloading. If it's not then yeah you can play another game. Don't know about the installing. I've never seen a game install on PS4.

J4g3r

Is it just me or does the spinning attack you can do look like it's been ripped straight out of Shadow Warrior 2013?

It looks EXACTLY the same as that charge attack you can do.

SonicBoom

Understandable, my PS4 HDD is full as well, but I still have to install games from the physical copies anyhow. I just get tired of swapping discs around all the time. At least with physical you can resell/trade in later for some cash.

I don't mind swapping out discs plus I get better deals on games at best buy with my 20% off gamers club membership on new games so I do save more money and earn reward points.

Digital is too expensive should be cheaper at release but I do understand that they have to keep the servers running and someone has to pay for electricity so it kind of justifies its price. The hard drives are still too small for me. The consoles should have 2-5 TB upgrade option for hard drives for those that are hardcore.

I don't mind deleting games off the hard drive but with multiplayer games you have to re-download map packs and that is time which is not convenient.

I do have fast internet but its not that fast as games are pretty big this gen. COD: Ghosts has 63GB, COD: AW 46+GB, Battlefield 4 has 54gb, Halo MCC 62GB. its crazy how much space these games take up and how quickly they add up its only year 1 and counting

Skyzard

Banned
"You seem like an erand boy at the start and the missions haven't been anything super interesting yet. Very typical. I don't mind but for those seeking more, I can't tell you if it offers that yet. Time will tell. "

Yeah, that's something I'm a tad worried about too.

It's fine to get used to the game. And it's even commented on and explained in the game cutscenes/story stuff so far.

But yeah, I hope there's a shift in the mission styles soon/eventually but I also doubt it. If it was a 10 hour campaign maybe, but they mentioned like 50 hours? Seems like it would take too much effort.

I don't mind weapons with durability in games, but I wish they were more realistic about it, instead of treating the weapons like they are made out of paper mâché.

Omg, being invaded or whatever it's called in this game is insane. I almost won my first match as a human. Guy got me with a stupid zombie horde while I was destroying the last nest.

I don't mind weapons with durability in games, but I wish they were more realistic about it, instead of treating the weapons like they are made out of paper mâché.
Repairing weapons is ridiculously easy.

If you guys like the music in this check out a new movie that just came out called "The Guest". I literally just watched it this morning and then immediately started playing Dying Light. Both have similar and awesome music. The Guest will no doubt be movie soundtrack of the year for me. Solid movie too.

The guest is dope and I agree the soundtracks is awesome lots of 80s style synth. I'm really enjoying the game so far but I'm just out of the tutorial. I grew up on 80s horror movies and love zombie flicks so this game is right up my alley.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wonder why jump is mapped to R1 and not L1 like Mirror's Edge? I'm gonna be working against muscle memory...

Agreed. No game has got it right yet.,

Good roguelikes handle it with ease. You can't have a good durability model without some basic math behind it, and most developers are kid of scared off by that since it makes the whole durability model difficult to understand for new players until they understand that math.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anyone on PS4 get their Master Scavenger skin? I pre offered it digitally, and I don't have access to it despite installing it. When I check the DLC section in the Extras menu, it shows it but when clicking on it, it takes me to a blank countdown. o_O

Did you link your PSN / Live tag with the site?

Yes. Still looking for help with getting my pre-order Dockets from the Quartermaster.

Some early impressions:

• Game definitely doesn't feel like an EA/Ubisoft/Super-Studio production, and this is a good thing. Yes, it is rough around the edges—the tutorial to start goes on too long, people kind of ramble on in dialogue, the menus could use some work in terms of clarity—but the game just feels homemade in all the right ways. The world feels totally real and believable, and just getting to chill in this gritty, nightmarish, beautiful eastern-European town is a thrill in and of itself.

• Game looks wonderful on PS4. Everything I want for a "current gen" game. 1080p, runs clean, great lighting, zombies look good. Sort of like an upscaled ZombiU in some ways, which is a good thing.

• Combat feels just right. Zombies go down easier than ZombiU, but you are weak, have little stamina, and weapons suck. But once I start unlocking those skill trees . . .

• Parkour: this was my biggest fear. I didn't see how a first-person melee game was going to handle movement like this without being in some way pigeonholed by the perspective after playing games like Assassin's Creed and Shadow of Mordor in 3rd person. I am blown away by how good it feels. I can jump just far enough, reach ledges just high enough if I aim right, and fall ridiculously far if I land on something soft. I can also die from a bad fall likes it's nobody's business.

• And that's the last thing that I wanted to mention. There's a penalty for death, and this adds even more tension to a tension-filled scare-fest.

Anything looking to do some coop, feel free to add me: PSN WheelHoss1

psychotron

Game seems to look great on PS4 after about a half hour of play. There's some aliasing but textures and lighting look really nice, with crazy draw distance. The only downside I've seen is some frame stuttering when panning the camera, but only when up high when viewing the whole island. Early on you're in a very tall building with views of the outside. When panning, as soon as the island comes into view it lags a bit. All other areas have been very smooth though.

bedlamite

Just put in about 2 hours on the PC version. This game is like Mirrors' Edge and Dead Island hooked up and had a baby, and I'm fine with that.

Lots of technical issues on the PC, tbh, but I'm still having fun. Running across rooftops evading zombies is good stuff and things can only get better once I upgrade my abilities

Karak

Good roguelikes handle it with ease. You can't have a good durability model without some basic math behind it, and most developers are kid of scared off by that since it makes the whole durability model difficult to understand for new players until they understand that math.

Man I couldn't disagree more. They still destroy stuff like the world is made of candy canes:) Or it feels that way to me for some reason.

Ricker

Anyone on PS4 get their Master Scavenger skin? I pre offered it digitally, and I don't have access to it despite installing it. When I check the DLC section in the Extras menu, it shows it but when clicking on it, it takes me to a blank countdown. o_O

Damn,just played through the prologue and was wondering where those pre-order DLC where...so you have to activate them outside the game or something...?...oh its in Extras in game...? ok.

Game is pretty cool so far(PS4),the traversal/jumping stuff is really well done,works great....didnt do any of the nightime stuff though yet lol...that may be a little more frustrating.

Mista

Banned
For whatever reason, reviewers didn't get the game before yesterday. Because of this, I would put even less credibility than usual in any review that comes out today or tomorrow. It means the reviewer marathoned the game as fast as they could or didn't play it enough or both. There's no time to digest a game and form an applicable opinion to the average purchaser and write the article in only 24-48 hours.

This is stupid! Why give them a game a day or two before release??

Whats the day/night cycle like ? Does it transition between day and night as you freeroam or only when you do missions or sleep ?

Early on, there's no cycle, which is kind of disappointing but seems part of the tutorial-aspect to early gameplay.

It's dusk right now for me, and things have gotten a little more hectic. I died twice thinking I could just
drop a firecracker and open the hood of a car with fifteen zombies around
and not die. Lesson learned.

Will report back after night falls . . .

DirtyLarry

Anyone get their preorder dockets? I just talked to the Quartermaster for the first time, which according to the FAQ on the docket site that is when I should have gotten them, and nothing. Do I have to wait for another time to talk to him? I am literally just starting the very first outside mission. PS4 btw.

Played X1 version till 3am. Game looks beautiful no performance issues. If you like Dead Island and Far Cry you will love this game.

I wish there was a way to change jump from RB to A.

Catdaddy

Does the entire game take place in a cityscape? Or do we get a nice variation?

I started losing interest in Dead Island once it moved into the city, maybe cause the resort area was so awesome.

Anyone get their preorder dockets? I just talked to the Quartermaster for the first time, which according to the FAQ on the docket site that is when I should have gotten them, and nothing. Do I have to wait for another time to talk to him? I am literally just starting the very first outside mission. PS4 btw.
There's a website you have to go to in order to receive them. I'm mobile at the moment though.

I started losing interest in Dead Island once it moved into the city, maybe cause the resort area was so awesome.
Any other landscape wouldn't work, because of the emphasis on never being in the ground level with the zombies.

Tak3n

Banned

I had this you need to make sure you have linked your account... Quit completely out of the game and then go back in

sunnz

The lack of zombie games that take place in the countryside/wilderness annoys me.

Top Bottom