• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jesu

I've done 14% so far.
I'm crap at parkouring and I struggle against more than 2 zombies at a time.
Also I'm to scared to go out after dark.
I like it a lot though.

thewongs

Neo Member
A hard mode is the last thing I want right now,game is hard enough as it is,at least during the first 10 hours or so,I die a lot...hey this quest says medium difficulty,go inspect this place...you get there and there's 2 guys with machine guns and 5 guys dashing at you(all I have his some Police baton and shit like that lol)...some quests are pretty hard to locate also,even with the markers or yellow stuff...the treasure bag in the water for one I cannot find but my favorite is the glasses in the black car on a bridge with hundred of cars and zombies lol...

Enjoying it a lot nonetheless though but I might just go with the main story questline for now.

Exploding throwing stars are your friend for this - Instant death for Humans

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm honestly worried hard mode will just up the defense and make your weapons less effective. And they call it a day.

They should've put more thought into blunts. Instead of them just completely disappearing 1/3 through the game in favor of slice n' dice.

Especially since the animation for the baseball bat maybe is the coolest in the game. Give blunts a role. Some utility. Easy answer is to let them stun the shit out of everything. Then you could move in for the finishers.

I play the game bare knuckle now. Sucks you can't actually kill anything with your fists... but it's more fun to play that way than killing everything in the game with one blow from your katana. Grapples and finishers. The bare-hand stuff is honestly just as OP as anything else, but it seems slightly less mindless when you actually find yourself in the rare pinch.

I've been playing this with my cousin's account on my PS4. Sucks that I don't get any trophies for it, but damn I'm really contemplating buying it for myself. I didn't like Dead Island, but I'm really feeling this! Everything just clicks; I love the progression of the parkour from clumsy to nimble, they really nailed it. Sliding and breaking legs and throwing zombies off of roofs never gets old. I've even pulled a zombie off a roof with the grappling hook down onto a rack of spikes lol. Definitely a surprise hit. Word of advice, don't use those duping glitches and infinite upgrade cheats; it's nowhere near as fun when you are just powering through everything the first time out, as my son discovered.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've done everything but I'm stuck at 42/44 side quests and I'm even missing a safe house apparently, is the house with the red smoke bugged? The icon never turned into a safe house even though it is one. I'm so close to 100% completion this sucks...

respecting the safe house i don´t know,
but did you drink the potion from the witch in the slums? you need to do it to unlock a couple more of sidequests

edit added spoiler tags, hope it´s not too late, sorry

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
respecting the safe house i don´t know,
but did you drink the potion from the witch in the slums? you need to do it to unlock a couple more of sidequests

edit added spoiler tags, hope it´s not too late, sorry

Yeah...
just keep drinking her stuff. It's a recurring thing. And each time you have to go back to her.

Just finally got to the second half of the game with over 40 hours of gameplay. This new
area of Haraan
is something else! Game is easily one of the best games of the year for me.

Just picked this up this month. I have not gotten far (maybe an hour past the tutorial). This game gives me the same feeling Dead island did when I first played it. The combat is better though, movement more fluid, hell the whole game is just less clunky. Really loving it so far!

Okay, i'm about 37 hrs within game and i'm lovin' it. Right now it's my second best game i've played this year...and i still can't get enough of it. In fact, i may be addictet to Dying Light right now...Can't play anything else..
The best still is Alien Isolation, but that's my GOAT, sooo...
Game has a very rough beginning, and to be honest i didn't like it at all during first couple of hours...but when i understand game, its mechanics, world...Then i fall in love with it.
Fucking great game...
And that parkour with graplling hook...
Dying Light Parkour with grappling hook Old Town
Pure, endless joy...

jesu

Some DLC on 10th March.

Dear Dying Light fan,

Today we announced that the second content drop of the Season Pass for Dying Light will launch on March 10th. The Ultimate Survivor Bundle will bring you a collection of unique items, including blueprints for four one-of-a-kind weapons: The Constable, the Night Club, Lacerator, and Buzz Killer. On top of that, the bundle will add three distinctive character outfits: the Ninja, Urban Explorer, and Special Agent.

The Ultimate Survivor Bundle will be available for purchase separately across all platforms or as a part of the Season Pass offer. See all that unique gear in action in our latest trailer and be ready for the content drop of March 10th.

Good Night. Good Luck.

-- Dying Light Team

bosseye

Grabbed this last week, physical release.

Really enjoying it so far, its like all the best bits of Dead Island but in a much more interesting environment and with better combat, traversal etc.

I'm perhaps 3 hours in, so a way to go yet but am feeling terribly underpowered though, really need some better weapons and a big improvement on stamina. At the moment I just can't do much damage as I run out of puff a bit quick - especially to those damn speedy viral zombies that appear if you make too much noise, I'm generally dead pretty swiftly when they show up. I'm assuming I just need to keep playing and level up.

One of my favourite bits though is the tonal shift at night time, it becomes a totally different place once the sun goes down and the bad mother fuckers come out. Makes for some real tense sneaking stuff.

Overall, a great game with a lot to get stuck into. And I think it really looks gorgeous (on PS4), screenshots don't do it justice really. The whole world is in motion with the wind in the palms, smoke, leaves etc blowing around, its really quite spectacular.

therapist

Some DLC on 10th March.

Weird i swear someone joined my game who already had a ninja outfit - i think i have one too , pre-order crap maybe.

Beat the game and new game + already.

Great fun in coop , look forward to hopefully decent dlc , i usually avoid dlc but ill pay for a bit more dying light anyday

Can someone who has got the Whole Story achievement check how many side missions they did to unlock it? So far I've done 51 and after Googling a list of them it seems that is all there is to do.

Is my achievement glitched?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
For me it's 42/44 with 100% completion, where are you getting 51 from? The achievements seem buggy on PC.

I''m putting together lots of small clips for a montage, just something for fun nothing serious, and I'm in need of a fitting song to play over the top. Preferably metal. There's gonna be lots of decapitations and slow-mo, so I'm gonna need a song that fits that theme.

Any suggestions?

Okay, i'm about 37 hrs within game and i'm lovin' it. Right now it's my second best game i've played this year...and i still can't get enough of it. In fact, i may be addictet to Dying Light right now...Can't play anything else..
The best still is Alien Isolation, but that's my GOAT, sooo...
Game has a very rough beginning, and to be honest i didn't like it at all during first couple of hours...but when i understand game, its mechanics, world...Then i fall in love with it.
Fucking great game...
And that parkour with graplling hook...
Dying Light Parkour with grappling hook Old Town
Pure, endless joy...

The parkour is incredible in this game, really, really good, the first hours are rough combat wise, but i finished the game with a moded sword with 2k damage so i pretty much could walk around at night without worrying to much about anything, i still have to unlock some of the achievments for co-op, i pretty much don´t care about achievments these days but is a good excuse to play some more dying light

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Got all of those as well. Just as well I love the game or I'd be bummed out after putting all the time in only for it to not unlock everything

I won't lie, I'm pretty bummed about the achievements not unlocking after putting in extra effort to finish everything.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Shame that the side missions are so shit, I normally listen to dialogue in most games but I simply don't care in this game about the side quests and just skip everything (thankfully skipping dialogue is quick) I only go to non-story quests if they happen to be on the way to the main story quest. Other than that, I enjoy this game a lot more than I would have thought. Definitely came out at a good time.

Shame that the side missions are so shit, I normally listen to dialogue in most games but I simply don't care in this game about the side quests and just skip everything (thankfully skipping dialogue is quick) I only go to non-story quests if they happen to be on the way to the main story quest. Other than that, I enjoy this game a lot more than I would have thought. Definitely came out at a good time.

I appreciate that they've worked hard to make sidequests a lilttle more meaningful through narrative but the clunky dialogue (overlong with lots of repetition, flat jokes and unnatural exposition) and poor voice acting can't sell it.

They really need to get a better writing team for the next one. Still a supremely enjoyable game.

10996651_544670949009289_4184726190345575013_n.jpg

I''m putting together lots of small clips for a montage, just something for fun nothing serious, and I'm in need of a fitting song to play over the top. Preferably metal. There's gonna be lots of decapitations and slow-mo, so I'm gonna need a song that fits that theme.

Any suggestions?
Just Like You've Imagined by Nine Inch Nails. Can't go wrong.

bucyou55

Banned
Just beat the story mode, really enjoyed it. A few I did co-op story missions and it was pretty fun, most people were cool, there were a couple dicks who held up progression though.

Going back in free roam and doing the missions now. I was most disappointed in the final "boss fight" as others were.

So they're adding new weapons on top of the DLC ones, nice. I hope we get some firearms.

I don't think so. Every description I've read seems to only be the blueprints that were previously given out.

I think new weapon rarity level will just be weapons we've already seen, but upped in damage and maybe placed in a new color category. Otherwise wouldn't they come right out and say new weapons?

therapist

didnt realize this is free.

So new game + said it was harder but it was barely harder.
Hopefully this is actually harder.

Only the beginning of the game was difficult really.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. Every description I've read seems to only be the blueprints that were previously given out.

I think new weapon rarity level will just be weapons we've already seen, but upped in damage and maybe placed in a new color category. Otherwise wouldn't they come right out and say new weapons?

It says new weapons right on the picture. The only new weapons I've seen mentioned up until now are the 4 blueprints from the season pass but these are separate from those.

thenexus6

So i've been playing this game co-op with a friend and hit a problem. So we both only play the game in coop together, we are not playing it separately at all.

I have hosted the games so far. Yesterday he went to host instead and his game as showing up as 0% progress (we'd both completed 11% together).

I then went ahead and hosted and invited him. He got in and had one of his weapons or gear at all. We played for a few hours then left. His game then booted back to the mission where it says "coop now unlocked!" - back to 0% progress...

What is going on here? Why isn't his progress, gear and stuff saving as it should be?

Prodigal

Banned
Did they fix the Steam achievement bug for doing all side quests? It says I have 43/44 and no !'s on the map.

Nevermind, found the issue!

bosseye

I absolutely love this game. Its all I want to play at the moment, its completely captivated me in so many ways.

Scared myself last night though, was in the middle of a mission (hunting for a book in a building) and wasn't really paying attention to the time, only vaguely aware of the 'night times a-comin' radio messages. Found what I was looking for and realised it was dark, so thought I'd be brave and head for a nearby safezone in the dark. Went up to the roof, leapt off to the lower level which turned out to be made of wood so I SMASHED straight through it and IT WAS VERY LOUD and then there was lots of screaming and tentacle zombie monsters running at me and I fell into a gorge in my panic to get away. Which actually helped, but by then I was a bit lost and in the pitch black so had a bit of a nervy trip back to the safe house. When the sun came up it was just a great gaming moment.

And then it started raining and I realised that electric weapons work much better on wet enemies.

Its just a brilliant game.

KorrZ

Finished Dying Light last night actually and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Which I've said before but still...I honestly expected pretty much nothing from this game.

- Parkour System is really fun, and the way it levels up makes you go out of your way to try and parkour around. I never really found myself lamenting a lack of fast travel, it was fun to just move around, and there are so many modeled interiors in this game that pretty much wherever you are there is somewhere to go check out and explore.

- Melee system is serviceable and really great fun in the beginning. I like the progression of going from 2-3 zombies being a threat to eventually slaughtering everything in 1 hit. Though it seems like you get to that point a bit too quickly, I spent the last 5 hours or so of the game basically invincible. Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly fun to hack down hordes of zombies - but I wish that there was SOME challenge remaining as the game progressed.

- I thought the main quest/story was interesting enough to pull me through the whole affair. The way I saw some reviews absolutely going in on the story I thought it would be complete shit but I didn't get that at all. The writing wasn't great but I loved Crane and his pure assholeish comments at points.

- Coming off of Dragon Age: Inquisition and AC: Unity it's nice to see an open world game put some effort into it's side quests for a change. Are they ground breaking? No, and a lot of the tasks you do aren't anything special, but they do a good job of creating little narrative arcs that get you interested, and the quests bring you to some unique locations and usually have very decent rewards. I really, really enjoyed these.

- The soundtrack was god damn awesome. I only wish that I had heard more of it as it didn't pop up as frequently as I would have liked while just running around the world.

So yeah, I was very impressed with this game. I didn't get to ALL of the side quests, but I intend to go back...even still the game clocked in at a solid 30 hours for me and overall it was just a blast to play all the way through. I'm glad to see this game is doing well sales wise because I think this game definitely deserves a sequel.

Stanng243

This is a great game. I just wish so many of the trophies weren't glitched. I've finished all the sidequests and the safe zones, and no trophy for either.

Top Bottom