• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

paparazzo

I tell myself this every year but I think I'll jump in this time. I only played Splinter Cell 1 but Conviction looks hot. Mass Effect 2 and others like Crackdown are pretty tempting as well, not to mention the fact that MGS:R might be exclusive. Here's hoping my new job goes well.:D

Barrett2

lowrider007 said:
I personally think the PS3 has the best line-up for hardcore gamers, just my opinion is all, there is a clear divide between core and casual gamers, the poor sales for the latest hard core games releases on DS & Wii prove that.

Amazing. To be clear, we're both talking about the system with ZERO Square Enix games and TWO good FPS in its library? That is some hard core shit right there...

By the time PS3 gets a single Square game, 360 will have like 15 of them. By the time PS3 gets its third good FPS (MAG), 360 will have like 20 of them. By the time PS3 finally gets inFamous, 360 gets Crackdown 2, etc.....

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
lawblob said:
Amazing. To be clear, we're both talking about the system with ZERO Square Enix games and TWO good FPS in its library? That is some hard core shit right there...

So your saying that the 360 is the best Hardcore gaming platform ? since when was this a factual statement ?

Barrett2

lowrider007 said:
So your saying that the 360 is the best Hardcore gaming platform ? since when was this a factual statement ?

I didn't realize providing facts to back up an argument was a bad thing. My mistake; from now on i'll make unqualified statements with nothing to back them up.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Amir0x said:
For the conference thread needs:

Xbox 360

● EA's cooperative shooter Army of Two: The 40th Day has new media for consumption. (T, I, V)
● Yeah, Platinum Games' Bayonetta has plenty of T&A to go along with your Kamiya badassery. (V)
● Bioware's Mass Effect 2 looks incredible, and is sure to fix many of the problems people had with the first if the trailer is anything to go by. (V, T)
● Rockstar announces Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony as part of their DLC exclusivity deal for Microsoft. (P, Lo, T)
● Bioshock 2 has a firm release date of November 3rd. (L)
● Bethesda announced Brink from Splash Damage! (L / V, T)
● The Tekken 6 E3 Trailer! (V)
● Sega has announced Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Oh boy. (L, P, W, T)
● Supreme Commander 2 Revealed! (V, T)
● Mear Gear Rising announced. It stars Raiden. (V, A)
● Halo Reach announced. Not much is not, except it is about the last holdouts on planet Reach and will be released in 2010. (V, A)
● Halo: ODST was demoed, and it looked pretty fucking rad. (A, V)
● The much rumoured Xbox Live "Motion Camera" has been revealed. Called NATAL, it requires no controller and is much like an advanced EyeToy. (V)
● Crysis 2 has officially been announced for PS3, 360 and PC. It will further demonstrate Crytek's capabilities on consoles apparently. (T, P)
● Alan Wake is finally slated for release in Spring 2010. It was demoed on stage and seemed incredibly thrilling. (A, V, I)
● Left 4 Dead 2 is announced for release this winter. Changes include new melee weaponry, special infected and characters. (A, V, I)
● Splinter Cell: Conviction was shown at the event. Looks badass. (A, V, I)
● The GAF favorite is receiving a sequel in Crackdown 2. Almost nothing is known about it as a computer generated teaser was shown. (A, I)
● Final Fantasy XIII was demoed at the Microsoft event, with a tentative release window of Spring 2010. Cross your fingers. (A, V)
● Forza 3 looks insanely feature packed. With over 400 cars from 50 different manufacturers, it is being heralded as THE sim racing event of the generation for 360. (A, I)
● Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is not only looking insane, it's also getting exclusive DLC on the 360. (A, I, V)
● Rock Band: Beatles is set to bring the iconic group to your music gaming love. (V)

just quoting so i can find easier later on.

:)

microsoft conference

lowrider007

lawblob said:
I didn't realize providing facts to back up an argument was a bad thing. My mistake; from now on i'll make unqualified statements with nothing to back them up.

I'll ask you again, are you saying that the 360 is factually the best Hardcore gaming platform out of the current gen consoles ?

Crazyorloco

Good conference. Can't wait for Splinter Cell, the halo games, and MGS Rising. I hope MS and 3rd parties really support Natal, because I want this console generation to last for a loooong time. (I just got my 360 last Sept)

P.S.
Sony Bought Rare :p

Barrett2

lowrider007 said:
I'll ask you again, are you saying that the 360 is factually the best Hardcore gaming platform ?

Obviously, by sheer volume alone. PS3 doesn't have a sufficient quantity of quality exclusives to seriously be considered the best "hardcore" system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PistolGrip said:
After this conf, it's clear Sony have their work cut out for them (doubt ninty conf can even compete). Sony's conference lost a lot of steam after their PSP go leak. Its really unfortunate for them because now they need some major stuff to compete, ps3 slim, trico, GT5, MAG, GOWIII, FFXIII coming out xmas for the US...etc...

FFXIII was confirmed for Spring 2010.

As for their 09 lineup..I think they've every reason to be confident in it. MS didn't add much to their 09 lineup here, and Sony's is strong from what we already know of it. And we know there's a price cut coming and a slim model this year (even if they're not announced at E3)..two big things for the platform..so competitively I think Sony is probably reasonably happy with what they're seeing.

Nintendo..wildcard as I said earlier. Could go either way.

Also, side note: has lawblob completely jumped the shark? Or is this sarcasm? I really am not sure :lol

TheFatOne

lawblob said:
Obviously, by sheer volume alone. PS3 doesn't have a sufficient quantity of quality exclusives to seriously be considered the best "hardcore" system.

I'm enjoying your bitter tears :lol :lol :lol

Nolan.

Crazyorloco said:
Good conference. Can't wait for Splinter Cell, the halo games, and MGS Rising. I hope MS and 3rd parties really support Natal, because I want this console generation to last for a loooong time. (I just got my 360 last Sept)

P.S.
Sony Bought Rare :p

Crazy thing is Rare would probably work better with Sony.

Talon

lawblob said:
If you're meaning in terms of sales with the giants that are Halo 3 and Gears of War 1/2 along with some ancillary MGS (Microsoft Gaming Studios for the illiterate) titles like Mass Effect (was published by Microsoft), Fable and the ilk along with how well third-parties have done on the 360...and that huge attach rate...well, the 360 is putting its money where its mouth is: selling games.

It's hard to qualify that one console is "more hardcore." Really, there's no way to differentiate it short of stupidly making a fanboy list. All we can say is that games are getting sold out the wazoo on the 360, and Sony's superior 1st party (which we all accept as a given) hasn't punched the "must have" ticket yet.

Barrett2

gofreak said:
Also, side note: has lawblob completely jumped the shark? Or is this sarcasm? I really am not sure :lol

Like I said earlier; im' doped up on Sudafed, stressed with school, and feeling punchy. Im' just rollin' at this point. Its all a blur to me. :lol

lowrider007

lawblob said:

I didn't realize that the 360 was universally accepted as the best hardcore gaming platform so far this gen, if that's the case then fine, perhaps it comes down to subjectivity on my part, I just feel that Sony are doing more for the hardcore gamers this generation, perhaps I just prefer the exclusive games that are available on the PS3, I don't won't to come across as someone who dislikes the 360, I have an Elite sat right next to my TV, but I will say that I believe Sony will have a better software line-up tomorrow for the hardcore gamer.

harSon

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Where was the zune? I thought they were going to show more about the zune integration and gaming?

I saw the Zune on the dashboard when they were doing the motion demonstration.

lawblob said:

Ps3 does have better exclusives, released and upcoming, IN MY OPINION. It doesnt worry me that it lacks JRPGS or shooters. As a) They are not my most preferred genre, and b) Sony has the two best of each genre as an exclusive anyway. Ironic hey. Valkyria Chronicles and Killzone 2.

Dont hurt me too much, im just overly cynical waiting for Sonys conference.

Barrett2

TheFatOne said:
I'm enjoying your bitter tears :lol :lol :lol

You do realize that I own a PS3 and not a 360, right? On a serious note; the only thing I am bitter about it how many poseur PS3 owners there are on this board; who conveniently happen to love whatever PS3 version of a game is in a particular genre; even though you never see half those people actually in that game's threads. I buy and play every single major PS3 exclusive; do you? If not, I blame you for my system continuing to lose exclusives.

I don't think some of you get the difference between taking this stuff "seriously" and the way I take this stuff "seriously." But thats beside the issue...

Gowans

I really was blown away by this years conf.

Everything from the key big games to the social stuff to the quirky experimental stuff I'm really looking forward too.

Along with the big releases from EA's conf too (Mass Effect) holly shit there is some good stuff.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
pseudocaesar said:
Ps3 does have better exclusives, released and upcoming, IN MY OPINION. It doesnt worry me that it lacks JRPGS or shooters. As a) They are not my most preferred genre, and b) Sony has the two best of each genre as an exclusive anyway. Ironic hey. Valkyria Chronicles and Killzone 2.

Dont hurt me too much, im just overly cynical waiting for Sonys conference.

PS3 lacks shooters?

Are you kidding me? I can only think of Halo and Gears missing for the PS3. Am I missing anything?

daegan

omg rite said:
Oh will you fucking stop? You already did this. The technology that we were shown was fantastic. This is fact.

If we can actually interact with it like with the Milo demo, this is like nothing in gaming before. It probably won't kill Wii, but it'll be awesome.

You really have to scale your expectations for what they'll actually be able to pull off, kind of like users making items to sell online back in 2005. I don't think what comes out for it will look anything like Milo for a lot of reasons.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So just to get the lay of the land coming out of the conference, in terms of exclusives through year end for Microsoft:

Halo 3:ODST
Forza III
Splinter Cell Conviction
Left 4 Dead 2
Lost Planet 2

What am I missing? There was no mention of release date or platforms for APB at EA's conference..is Huxley coming in 09?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Can we have all the gif made formed into a new thread? We should expect some from sony and nintendo to match the foot gifs from microsoft.

Screenboy

the english localisation for ff13 sounded terrible! it sounded like some 13 year old that has just discovered swear words and puberty!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Think this was the best conference I've ever witnessed, no numbers, all games, plenty of unannounced stuff, well presented (Mattrick let the side down a little I felt), and a stoner drawing an elephant!

IT.HAD.EVERYTHING.

The conference was ok,and i think is like the first time where MS actually focused on attacking the the leader of the console market and not just sony,its seems that now MS know that the leader is Nintendo and they are desperately trying to turn the xbox 360 into a Wii from a casual perspective view.

I don't think they will succeed but they are trying hard from what i can see,Nadal doesn't have much future from what i see unless MS can make it standard and not and option and even that from what i got they try to mean that the xbox 360 isn't going anywhere soon (xbox 720 jab) i think is to late for the tech maybe next gen they can make a console that has the tech build in or at least comes with it.

Shurs

gofreak said:
So just to get the lay of the land coming out of the conference, in terms of exclusives through year end for Microsoft:

Halo 3:ODST
Forza III
Splinter Cell Conviction
Left 4 Dead 2
Lost Planet 2

What am I missing? There was no mention of release date or platforms for APB at EA's conference..is Huxley coming in 09?

Lost Planet 2 is 2009? Is APB not coming to PS3? There was no mention of platforms at the EA press conference.

Ghost said:
Think this was the best conference I've ever witnessed, no numbers, all games, plenty of unannounced stuff, well presented (Mattrick let the side down a little I felt), and a stoner drawing an elephant!

That was what I liked about it. Almost all substance, no filler except maybe the Beatles part in he beginning. Great start to E3.

LCfiner

God, I'm so glad E3 is back to normal :D

Not only was the MS press conference pretty awesome for most any hardcore gamer, but the EA conference had some good shit, too.

can't wait for the bombcast tonight to hear what demos these guys saw and how they felt about the announcements.

only potential missed expectation with the MS conference: No J Allard showing Zune Gaming. no hoodie and sport coat :(

TheFatOne

lawblob said:
You do realize that I own a PS3 and not a 360, right? On a serious note; the only thing I am bitter about it how many poseur PS3 owners there are on this board; who conveniently happen to love whatever PS3 version of a game is in a particular genre; even though you never see half those people actually in that game's threads. I buy and play every single major PS3 exclusive; do you? If not, I blame you for my system continuing to lose exclusives.

I don't think some of you get the difference between taking this stuff "seriously" and the way I take this stuff "seriously." But thats beside the issue...

That's why I'm enjoying your meltdown :lol

I thought MS had an okay conference. The big titles I'm excited for are Crackdown 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction. Halo, Left4Dead, and Forza looked meh. And who knows when Metal Gear Rising is coming. But I'm sure we'll see Rising on the PS3 as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shurs said:
Lost Planet 2 is 2009? Is APB not coming to PS3? There was no mention of platforms at the EA press conference.

I thought LP2 was 09, no..?

I'm guessing APB isn't 2009 given the lack of release info at EA's presser, but last we heard it was 360/PC.

I must be missing some games though, or otherwise it'd be nice if MS beefed things up a bit, preferably within E3. No way MS can exit E3 with half as many exclusives for the rest of the year as Sony has going into E3.

Meh

Conference was boring. Nothing really worth getting excited for. I was hoping to see good surprises not another boring Movie Gear Solid game.

Hey, so

All of you who argued against me, vehemently, when I said there was no way that Square was going to wait until the PS3 version of FFXIII was done before they start porting it, could you please make yourselves known? I want to laugh at you, but searching for the specific threads is difficult.

ShockingAlberto said:
Hey, so

All of you who argued against me, vehemently, when I said there was no way that Square was going to wait until the PS3 version of FFXIII was done before they start porting it, could you please make yourselves known? I want to laugh at you, but searching for the specific threads is difficult.
I'd assume Kagari was one such person.

Say, does anywhere have the full recorded conference for me to watch yet?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Watching it from the beginning. I know we want realism in games, but that ice climb was so slow and boring. Damn.

decon

Phoenix Fang said:
Meh

Conference was boring. Nothing really worth getting excited for. I was hoping to see good surprises not another boring Movie Gear Solid game.
Good point. Was there any major new ips?

Top Bottom