• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think Nintendo announced some really good games, but definitely not 'Conference Win' worthy. MS is still in the lead for now.

i hope the new metroid doesn't suck.

... considering how many people left team ninja with itagaki.

i mean, this isn't a remake, right? how will hayashi manage?

ivysaur12

Banned
StateofMind said:
Eh, I say:

Microsoft B+
Nintendo C+

The new Metroid is probably the closest Nintendo will get to a new IP. I'm really interested to see how it turns out.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. And you're right, we're never going to get a big new IP from Nintendo. I'm definitely interested to see where it goes.

RyuKanSan

Teknoman said:
I dont get it.

MS had an equal amount of games already seen, stuff that was underwhelming, and im not even sure what the omg yay was (aside from MGS: Rising, which wasnt even shown and Splinter Cell). Yet people flood the chat with the conference being better than Nintendo?

Whats up with that GAF?

I don't get it either. We knew about Alan Wake, FF13, Tony Hawk etc. Splinter Cell was really good since they re-tooled it. CoD we knew about. So I agree wit you.

I say

Microsoft conference: 7/10
Nintendo conference: 6/10

Microsoft didn't have the surprises Nintendo had and they didn't announce any new exclusives for 2009 as I was hoping but Nintendo conference royally sucked for 90% of its duration while Microsoft's was solid.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
jarosh said:
you people are never ever satisfied. vitality sensor WHATEVER wii fit plus WHATEVER wii sports resort WHATEVER. just ignore it, jesus christ.

we just got MARIO FUCKING GALAXY 2 and what looks like an amazing new METROID GAME by team ninja. and a new 2D MARIO GAME for wii and a new GOLDEN SUN. yet all you guys see is: no zelda, conference was boring, vitality sensor LOL yadda yadda yadda. fuck that noise.

who cares about how boring the conference is or whether 90% of it was crap. we're getting a bunch of amazing looking new games!

It's not only about what they announced it's about how they utilized their time and how they manage to maintain the crowd's attention. The good announcements only took 10 mins of their conference.

The crowd were practically asleep until they showed Metroid and Galaxy, there was no one applauding before that.

jett

D-Member
I only caught the last 10 minutes of the conference, those 10 minutes seemed pretty decent to me. :p

No Zelda is just mind-boggling to me.

Microsoft: 9/10 (Conviction and ODST really did it.)
Nintendo: 7/10 (Mostly boring and redundant stuff. Metroid and Golden Sun were the only things I cared about.)

lawblob said:
I look forward with eager anticipation to Itakagi Gifs. :lol
Why? He has nothing to do with this. This new team has a lot to prove.

Blackface

Banned
How can anybody give Nintendo an A, for a conference that sucked almost the entire way through, and at the end they showed a total of 4 games, 2 of which looked like complete shit.

I mean, I always gave Nintendo fanboys the benefit of the doubt, and never jumped on making fun of them bandwagon like others.

But really people? :lol who are you kidding
Yourself

Teknoman said:
I dont get it.

MS had an equal amount of games already seen, stuff that was underwhelming, and im not even sure what the omg yay was (aside from MGS: Rising, which wasnt even shown and Splinter Cell). Yet people flood the chat with the conference being better than Nintendo?

Whats up with that GAF?
i'm sorry, but this conference had 86.5 minutes of abject failure.

it had 3.5 minutes of win. as a CONFERENCE, this was absolutely horrible. a nightmare. of course, Galaxy 2 and Prime will most likely outscore any games we've seen so far at E3. But that's not really the point. when scoring a CONFERENCE, you have to take presentation, flow, style and substance into account.

MS had a consistent flow of excellent looking games without the bullshots, great looking exclusives, real innovations (not vitality sensors) and a good pace.

artist

Banned
comedy bomb said:
You mad?

I'm sure Nintendo is saddened by the loss of a fan. They'll hate to replace you with a couple thousand casuals.
Fuck them, I wont buy their gimmicky insert your *ding dong* here hardware.

Nintendo riding their high horse of good sales have taken their audience for grated too long, I'm sure the tide will change one day.

Barrett2

DMeisterJ said:
I think Nintendo announced some really good games, but definitely not 'Conference Win' worthy. MS is still in the lead for now.

This. Nintendo has us so starved for games we want to hump their leg when they announce they are doing more than the bare minimum.

But lets stay focused on the real issue; Iwata is INSANE and must be STOPPED.

traveler

Not Wario
SoulPlaya said:
I honestly think the best thing for this year's conference was that last year's was so damn bad. Expecttations were so low that all Nintendo had to do was announce any new installment in one of their franchises and fanboys would've gon crazy. Truly, though, this conference was TERRIBLE. SMG2 and M:OM look great, but those are two games. TWO!!!! And both look to be coming out in 2010. SMG2 looks like more of the same (which is a good thing), and I'm interest in seeing what Team Ninja can do with metroid, but that's a huge question mark. Yeah, I know, what about NSMBWii. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed, but oh well. Besides that, though, there wasn't much on the Wii front. Sometimes I think Nintendo fans' expectations are wayyyyy too low.

They just showed a sequel to the best game of this generation, (possibly all time) a new Metroid game done by a collaboration between Nintendo and Team Ninja of all people, a mp Mario sidescroller, and a sequel to a fan favorite RPG series that we thought would never see the light of day- all while still managing to please casuals and investors alike- and you consider those of us who were actually semi-impressed by the conference to have ridiculous expectations? Seriously? I'm far from a drooling Nintendo fanboy or whatever image you seem to have in your mind, but that is absolutely absurd. Go read last year's conference thread- even the fans have been calling the Nintendo stuff like they see it.

All the conference reactions have revealed is this- that Nintendo giving the hardcore part of their attention isn't enough; they are insulted by the very presence of ANY efforts to go after the casuals.

Jinfash said:
It's not only about what they announced it's about how they utilized their time and how they manage to maintain the crowd's attention. The good announcements only took 10 mins of their conference.

The crowd were practically asleep until they showed Metroid and Galaxy, there was no one applauding before that.

For us, the at-home audience, the gamers, why does the in-crowd reaction matter more than the games?

They delivered games, that's all I care about, not the fluff they were bound to show anyway.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
irfan said:
Fixed.

Officially the worst conference ever.
The fuck?

Hell, it's not even the worst conference of the last two days (Ubisoft says hi).

This was a pretty balanced show overall. Some hardcore games, some casual crap (as is to be expected, and seriously, none of it was remotely as bad as the casual part of Ubisoft's show last night), whatever the hell that heart monitor is supposed to do for anyone, and an absolute megaton at the end. I'd call that a 7.

Kevtones

People complaining about a lack of 3rd party announcements shouldn't be. They've already been announced and in terms of exclusives, the Wii might have the best lineup...

Seriously, where the fuck is Zelda/Retro/Kid Icarus/Pikmin 3? I want that shit, NAO.

DMczaf

xpwl7r.jpg

Trax416 said:
How can anybody give Nintendo an A, for a conference that sucked almost the entire way through, and at the end they showed a total of 4 games, 2 of which looked like complete shit.

I mean, I always gave Nintendo fanboys the benefit of the doubt, and never jumped on making fun of them bandwagon like others.

Yourself

Why do you even post? Your shitty trolling is so transparent it's laughable. Go shill for ListenUP some more.

Blader

jett said:
I only caught the last 10 minutes of the conference, those 10 minutes seemed pretty decent to me. :p

No Zelda is just mind-boggling to me.

Lucky you, you missed about an hour of shit :lol

Trax416 said:

Yourself

I bet DJ Magazine will say this is the greatest conference ever.

Nolan.

DMeisterJ said:

It was a good conference but personally I feel nothing Sony can't better (as if conferences matter in the way of sales anyhow which is the main point).

Chinner

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I say

Microsoft conference: 7/10
Nintendo conference: 6/10

Microsoft didn't have the surprises Nintendo had and they didn't announce any new exclusives for 2009 as I was hoping but Nintendo conference royally sucked for 90% of its duration while Microsoft's was solid.
so the difference between being 'solid' and 'royally sucked' is 1 point? you are the ign of ratings.

Model 500

HOLY RAP!!!

METROID THE OTHER M
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII

Archery looked very good on Wii Sports: Resort.

DAMN!

Also:

Wario Ware DIY. Definitely interested in this.

The Murder Club game looked great as well on the DS.

Oh, and I'm gonna add Wii Fit Plus on my shopping list too, great modes.

Very professional show from Nintendo. Bill and Reggie are a great team. Cammie did her job well too, that's a nice change. The BIG N stays rock solid in the 1st place.

Teknoman

Why would MS score higher? Unless you guys mean the way the conference was organized. MS showed actual gameplay for like... 2-3 games, and the rest were either CG trailers or "Casual Stuff".

lawblob said:
This. Nintendo has us so starved for games we want to hump their leg when they announce they are doing more than the bare minimum.

This. How the hell is he still in charge. Who thought a pulse reader was a good idea? ARRRRRRGHH.

Jinfash said:

I swear I heard cheers at the Golden Sun announcement.

Still believe Reggie is the only acceptable presenter for Nintendo. Cammy is as fake as you can get. Just like that stupid Microsoft guy yesterday coming out for MGS announcement.

lawblob said:

Yeah, that rambling speech and the vitality thing was the lowlight amongst many lowlights.

artist

Banned
MetatronM said:
The fuck?

Hell, it's not even the worst conference of the last two days (Ubisoft says hi).

This was a pretty balanced show overall. Some hardcore games, some casual crap (as is to be expected, and seriously, none of it was remotely as bad as the casual part of Ubisoft's show last night), whatever the hell that heart monitor is supposed to do for anyone, and an absolute megaton at the end. I'd call that a 7.
Ubisoft? Since when did they gain traction as much as the big three? I'm just saying Nintendo had a CAKEWALK of an easy way of delivering on last year's turd conference and yet they didnt come anywhere near it.

Xellos

Pretty underwhelming despite NSMB:Wii, Wii Sports Resort, SMG2, and Metroid. No third party surprises. No mention Zelda Wii or Pikmin. No mention of Layton 2. The vitality sensor seems like a "jump the shark" moment. Galaxy, while still exciting, looks kind of like an expansion rather than a full-fledged sequel. Also, the two Wii games that were most exciting to me (SMG2 and Metroid) are both 2010. Unless they do some post-conference stealth announcements it looks like Nintendo's Wii output for second-half of 2009 is going to be kind of weak (again).

Concept17

Since we're all having a jolly time making our own ratings...

Nintendo: C
Microsoft: B

Nintendo's was awful. The only thing that saved it was the expected announcement of more nintendo franchises. A whole lot more Mario, and a new Metroid. The rest of the conference was a joke. Would love to see some original new IPs from Nintendo for once...but atleast they're taking yet another approach with Metroid.

Microsoft's was pretty solid. A lot of great games shown, some expected, others not. Again was hoping for more announcements of new IPs, but the game that were shown, all looked pretty great. Only thing that dragged the conference was Natal. Cool tech, but not practical enough. Will only appeal to Wii Sports/Fit type of crowd, and only with ridiculously good marketing. Its certainly not going to be any kind of standard.

So far this year is much better than last year.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gary Whitta said:
Go back and watch the UbiSoft briefing. You don't know what a nightmare is.
Or Capcom's conference revealing the Lost Planet movie.

Nintendo's conference had awesome reveals (Galaxy 2, Metroid, Golden Sun) and a shitload of games, but was brought down by most of these games being really old stuff we already knew everything about.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Chiggs said:
Microsoft - 9/10 (tons of games + Natal)
Nintendo - 8/10 (some very scary moments, but then came SMG 2 and Metroid Gaiden...and then I came)

Pretty much the same for me, though one number lower for each.

Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid
Golden Sun
Crystal Bearers
Mario and Luigi 3
NSMB Wii
Wii Sports Resort

All will be mine.

I have a feeling the vitality sensor is going to change or never come out. It's just so random, unless they add it onto Wii Fit or do some other game like Brain Age Wii with it, I just can't see what it adds.

Awesome games shown though. I'll be picking up almost everything except probably Wii Fit Plus and those third party games. Super excited about the new Metroid, Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda Spirit Tracks and New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. Indifferent about MvD for the DSi as I never finished the originals, and still haven't gone through Golden Sun for the GBA all the way. New Wario Ware could be good.

Overall an A conference for me. I was hoping for a brand new Mario setting but Galaxy was so good, I don't really mind going through it again. I would still like a true sequel in Mushroom Kingdom like M64 though. :lol

Blader

traveler said:
They just showed a sequel to the best game of this generation, (possibly all time) a new Metroid game done by a collaboration between Nintendo and Team Ninja of all people, a mp Mario sidescroller, and a sequel to a fan favorite RPG series that we thought would never see the light of day- all while still managing to please casuals and investors alike- and you consider those of us who were actually semi-impressed by the conference to have ridiculous expectations? Seriously? I'm far from a drooling Nintendo fanboy or whatever image you seem to have in your mind, but that is absolutely absurd. Go read last year's conference thread- even the fans have been calling the Nintendo stuff like they see it.

All the conference reactions have revealed is this- that Nintendo giving the hardcore part of their attention isn't enough; they are insulted by the very presence of ANY efforts to go after the casuals.

Why the hell should anyone here care about Nintendo managing to please casuals and investors? It may be good for business, but I personally couldn't give a shit about that. I only want them to deliver on the franchises that I'm interested in.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Toy Soldier said:
For us, the at-home audience, the gamers, why does the in-crowd reaction matter more than the games?

They delivered games, that's all I care about, not the fluff they were bound to show anyway.

This was a conference and we were watching it just like they did, I was bored too until those announcements. Sure announcing awesome game is always good but the "presentation" was verging on boring except for the 10 minutes of trailers they showed near the end.

That's how I thought it was, and that's what I meant. I was bored during the same parts the crowd was bored and for them to not applaud for most of the announcements was kinda awkward for Dunaway.

Top Bottom