• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA CEO Discusses Looming Recession Fears: No One Is Immune

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
images

The United States is already in the midst of, or is headed to, an economic recession, according to financial experts. It stands to reason that consumers might hold back spending on non-essentials these days. But Electronic Arts, one of the largest gaming publishers on Earth, isn't seeing a negative impact as of yet in terms of consumer spending on video games.

As part of EA's latest earnings call, CEO Andrew Wilson said the company continues to see "extraordinary engagement" across its entire business and particularly in major games like FIFA, Apex Legends, and The Sims.

“As it stands right now, we haven't seen meaningful shifts in behavior," Wilson said. "We expect that we will grow but we also want to be very thoughtful, focused, and deliberate as we move through this environment because if it gets really bad, I don't think anybody is immune. But I think what we've demonstrated is that we're unbelievably resilient and why we're focused on building incredible games and driving deep engagement with our community, which so far is working really, really well for us."

"It's hard to ignore all of the narrative around us and some of the commentary around what might be challenging economic times particularly in Europe that seems to be dealing with that more dramatically so far than the US,"
Wilson said.

For the last quarter, EA saw its revenue and profit increase year-over-year. In the past three months, EA made more than $1 billion from microtransactions alone.

I mean they ain't wrong, gaming is relative a very cheap form of entertainment(not counting mtx or mobile game), in comparsion to others.

Cyberpunkd

I mean they ain't wrong, gaming is relative a very cheap form of entertainment(not counting mtx or mobile game), in comparsion to others.
It isn’t? A console is $500, games are $60-80 + micro transactions. Compare that to books, streaming services or just some sport.

Popup

Surely, the added buffer of available disposable income from older gamers living with their parents helps.

It isn’t? A console is $500, games are $60-80 + micro transactions. Compare that to books, streaming services or just some sport.
you can game on the seris s for cheap and if you work for the game pass with bing, game pass is essentially free. And you can wait for games to go on sales. i am not talking about top end gaming.

Calverz

I still can’t believe he is in charge at ea. I blame the dumb streamers and kiddies who keep buying the fud packs are whatever they are called

Last edited:

Ristifer

"Particularly in Europe..."

You mean where they've started to ban lootboxes? Yeah, it would be tougher for them during a recession to have their children spending all their money because of your shitty practices. A moronic statement. You can tell they make a lot of money because they live in a fantasy world.

Top Bottom