• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum director blames poor sales on busy release calendar and says "no one anticipated" Baldur's Gate 3 to be so successful

Comandr

I didn’t buy the game because I absolutely can’t stand the garish aesthetic. Everything is over detailed, flashy lights and colors. Almost everything I’ve seen of the game is non stop fights and explosions. What happened to story telling? I don’t give a shit about generic mcfuckface and his magic gauntlet.

hlm666

Their audience is whoever that wants to play their game. People can like both games, but not play them at the same time.
why did spiderman 2 still sell ok? why did mw2.5 still sell ok? Phantom Liberty did fine, hahaha oh wait i've got it starfield didn't do as well as expected because of bg3 that's how we play this right?

How did robocop succeed with this damn bg3 taking away all these potential customers.

We can keep driving trucks through the holes in his argument till the cows come home.

Cashon

Banned
My girlfriend, who is relatively new to games (started playing ~2019), played the 3-chapter demo and loved it enough to go ahead and buy it on sale. She's now played it every night since Saturday and really likes it.

From what I've watched, it looks really good. Like, seriously underrated. The resolution is pretty soft, which is annoying, and there's obviously a lot of room for improvement (add clambering, give NPCs a routine) but I plan on playing it some time next year now.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
why did spiderman 2 still sell ok? why did mw2.5 still sell ok? Phantom Liberty did fine, hahaha oh wait i've got it starfield didn't do as well as expected because of bg3 that's how we play this right?

How did robocop succeed with this damn bg3 taking away all these potential customers.

We can keep driving trucks through the holes in his argument till the cows come home.
Ask him. It's not me blaming only BG3.

Last edited:

ssringo

Personally if I see EA/Electronic Arts on the store page I just assume it'll be a game that's generic, low effort and/or have bad performance issues. So, I didn't even give your game a second glance.

Too many other games to be bothering with that company anymore.

Ozriel

M$FT
Personally if I see EA/Electronic Arts on the store page I just assume it'll be a game that's generic, low effort and/or have bad performance issues. So, I didn't even give your game a second glance.

You mean like It Takes Two? Unravel? Dead Space Remake?

Blanket statements don’t help

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Yeah. Like Dead Space, Titanfall, Mirro's Edge... /s

People keep using the word generic but looks like they don't know what it means.

ungalo

I don't know if it's bad, it's probably not bad. But it never managed to interest me and it's probably the same for most people. And i got to say again, the characters and the world didn't help, it looks so lame.

ungalo

Ghostwire was a massive flop before it was on subscription services.

Immortals will probably reach several millions of players once it's on Gamepass and PS+.

Not saying it's because it's a magic shooter that it failed, Ghostwire is not really a good game either.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not exactly true, Ghostwire Tokyo managed to get a pretty solid playerbase with magic shooting hands and a colorful artstyle.
There is always a marked for quality games.

Ghostwire Tokyo sucked balls. The magic shooting hands simply weren’t as appealing as weapons, the enemies were the least scary things imaginable, and it was all done in a samey overworld with Ubisoft style icons.

You couldn’t have picked a worse example to give me. I wanted to like it, believe me.

Avenum’s ugly bracelets looked even worse.

Saber

Gold Member
The game looks ugly and generic. I know this has been repeated alot of times but it is what it is. Nothing but a game for tech people to google their eyes on it, but it has no substance neither appealing art design.

Cashon

Banned
This thread is so funny.

Constantly on this forum people will lament the lack of original games or how EA only makes monetized sequels... Even calling this game's style "generic." Meanwhile this is a s full, original IP, single-player game that is one of the more unique looking games I've ever seen.

I'm not saying it's the best game of the year or anything like that, but how many of you saying this game looks generic bought and played Diablo IV?

Zheph

This thread is so funny.

Constantly on this forum people will lament the lack of original games or how EA only makes monetized sequels... Even calling this game's style "generic." Meanwhile this is a s full, original IP, single-player game that is one of the more unique looking games I've ever seen.

I'm not saying it's the best game of the year or anything like that, but how many of you saying this game looks generic bought and played Diablo IV?
I give it to you we don't see often a game with such a shitty art direction "unique looking" I guess yeah

ssringo

ITT: performance issues. One possible exception doesn't negate everything else.
Unravel: going back a few years for that one eh?
Dead Space: performance issues and a remake of a much older game

Yeah. Like Dead Space, Titanfall, Mirro's Edge... /s

People keep using the word generic but looks like they don't know what it means.
Dead Space: performance issues and a remake of an old game
Titanfall: going back quite a few years...
Mirrors Edge: going back even further for that one...

How about the annual recycling of sports games? The atrocious Jedi Survivor performance? Wild Hearts? I scrolled through EAs store listing and it's filled with annual sports, tps, annual sports, fps, annual sports. Generic, low effort, performance issues. Bolded those other words for you slowpokes that hyper focus one part of a statement.

Generalizations are just that: a general statement. It doesn't necessarily have to 100% apply to everything for all time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
NCqJjup.jpg

If your game isn't good enough it doesn't matter when it releases. Baldur's Gate 3 could have released on any day and it made its own "busy release calendar".

Cashon

Banned
NCqJjup.jpg

If your game isn't good enough it doesn't matter when it releases. Baldur's Gate 3 could have released on any day and it made its own "busy release calendar".
Maybe, maybe not. I am a pretty avid gamer and didn't really notice this game until after it blew up, pre-release, from the Bear Sex scene. I think them showing that just prior to release was a huge boon to this game's visibility.

Baldur's Gate might as well have been a new IP too anyways -- while well-regarded, the previous game in the series came out on PC only 23 years ago. If the game was a 6-7/10 (like Immortals) it would've sold like trash too.

Cashon

Banned
I give it to you we don't see often a game with such a shitty art direction "unique looking" I guess yeah
Whether or not you subjectively like the look of the game has no bearing on whether or not the game is unique-looking.

screenshot2023-04-19-14h43m55s482.jpg
immortals-of-aveum-city-destruction.jpg
Immortals-of-Aveum-lash.png

How many other games, specifically first-person, look like this?

Then when you combine it with the gameplay, which is a little bit Doom, a little bit Metroidvania, and a little bit Doctor Strange... as well as having a completely new world/lore built around it, It definitely has its own identity.

I don't see how anyone who likes playing video games wouldn't have at least a little fun playing this one.

Ozriel

M$FT
ITT: performance issues. One possible exception doesn't negate everything else.
Unravel: going back a few years for that one eh?
Dead Space: performance issues and a remake of a much older game

How about the annual recycling of sports games? The atrocious Jedi Survivor performance? Wild Hearts? I scrolled through EAs store listing and it's filled with annual sports, tps, annual sports, fps, annual sports. Generic, low effort, performance issues. Bolded those other words for you slowpokes that hyper focus one part of a statement.

Generalizations are just that: a general statement. It doesn't necessarily have to 100% apply to everything for all time.

Yes!! Move those goalposts!

Anyone expecting sports games to change massively with each iteration has to be here for jokes. It’s not like you can strap on guns on Messi, or give Mbappe superpowers

Last edited:

ssringo

Yes!! Move those goalposts!

Anyone expecting sports games to change massively with each iteration has to be here for jokes. It’s not like you can strap on guns on Messi, or give Mbappe superpowers
Keep failing at reading and comprehending the entire post.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

I didn't talk about the remake, but even it has only some traversal stutters. Nothing generic or low effort.
Game has no expiration date.
Game has no expiration date.

Recycling sports games don't make them generic or with performance issues.
Jedi Survivor and Wild Hearts are far from generic.

So your generalisation is pointing in fact a minority of cases. The only EA game closer to being generic is Battlefield.

Last edited:
So many people here just parroting shit talk that this game is bad. It isn't bad. It's actually quite good! It's fun, the voice acting is good, and it respects your time. The only issues I see with it are the performance (thanks unreal engine 5) and the price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Your game was bad, get over it.
I think it’s a decent enough normal game. Launched rough.
If it came out in dry year it would sell.
It feels like AA 360 game. We don’t get these. Also it’s just doom eternal kinda. At least the demo was.
I’ve bought it in release since I support these more rare sp games

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My girlfriend, who is relatively new to games (started playing ~2019), played the 3-chapter demo and loved it enough to go ahead and buy it on sale. She's now played it every night since Saturday and really likes it.

From what I've watched, it looks really good. Like, seriously underrated. The resolution is pretty soft, which is annoying, and there's obviously a lot of room for improvement (add clambering, give NPCs a routine) but I plan on playing it some time next year now.
It even got good enough reviews. Rather positive. The trash and bad game opinions are stupid toxic hyperbole. Probably even Gollum is not trash per se

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This thread is so funny.

Exactly. Forspoken same fate. Fully new game. We are doomed to only get gaas and cod I guess.
I mean, if uncharted 1 came out today, people would say it’s trash and it would lead to amazing sequels and tlou.

MiguelItUp

I've read the game really isn't THAT bad, but I feel like the art and look of it always said otherwise. Regardless of when it was released, I think it was doomed to fail unfortunately.

kiphalfton

Feels like I've seen this headline before...

If so how many devs have blamed their failure on baldurs gate at this point?

Don't really buy the reason, it released before BG3 on console, hit all the systems in August. Is he really pointing at BG3 on PC taking away from this multiplatform release?

There's a strange vibe around BG3 from other devs.

Speaking of vibes this immortals game does remind of Too Human and that mid to late 2000 looking Xbox game where you have neon bits everywhere.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yet another dev using Baldur's Gate as a scapegoat for their inadequacies. You got a 69 on MC (PS5 most reviewed), a 72 on OC, and a sub-70% in Steam reviews. Your game is mediocre at best. It could have released in a dead month. That wouldn't have saved it. You only would have sold a few more initial copies. I really wish these people would have the decency to just admit what they made wasn't up to par.

Umbral

Imagine calling this boring, generic:

I’ve seen this game so many times before. It’s generic. Having a gun hand that shoots “magic” isn’t enough to cover it.

Don‘t get me going.
Exactly. Forspoken same fate. Fully new game. We are doomed to only get gaas and cod I guess.
I mean, if uncharted 1 came out today, people would say it’s trash and it would lead to amazing sequels and tlou.
It’s not entirely the reason, but I think people are really sick of the Marvel-esque quippy writing that has permeated every single piece of media since End Game. Both this game and Forspoken had it and people really wanted a shut the fuck up option for the characters.

Whether or not you subjectively like the look of the game has no bearing on whether or not the game is unique-looking.

Then when you combine it with the gameplay, which is a little bit Doom, a little bit Metroidvania, and a little bit Doctor Strange... as well as having a completely new world/lore built around it, It definitely has its own identity.

I don't see how anyone who likes playing video games wouldn't have at least a little fun playing this one.
Looks like Project Offset finished by a Chinese studio running a pirate UT2K4 server in their basement.

sendit

Game is garbage. Both visually and gameplay wise. Stills don't being to show how generic and boring this game is. Art looks completely AI generated, in a bad way.

And yes, I have played it thanks to EA Play Pro.
6kUET4o.png

Cashon

Banned
Game is garbage. Both visually and gameplay wise. Stills don't being to show how generic and boring this game is. Art looks completely AI generated, in a bad way.

And yes, I have played it thanks to EA Play Pro.
6kUET4o.png
What are some recent first-person shooters that you've played that have non-garbage gameplay and non-generic visuals?

Top Bottom