• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum director blames poor sales on busy release calendar and says "no one anticipated" Baldur's Gate 3 to be so successful

sendit

What are some recent first-person shooters that you've played that have non-garbage gameplay and non-generic visuals?
What are you trying to prove with that question? You're likely going to use any game I respond with as some 'gotcha' as to why you think a horrible game like 'Immortals of Aveum' is some breath of fresh air.

Metascore: 69
Userscore: 5.9

Immortals of Aveum is universally accepted as below average.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
What are you trying to prove with that question? You're likely going to use any game I respond with as some 'gotcha' as to why you think a horrible game like 'Immortals of Aveum' is some breath of fresh air.

Metascore: 69
Userscore: 5.9

Immortals of Aveum is universally accepted as below average.
You're being what psychologists would call defensive. Perhaps you should look into why?

Is it going to become a trend for EA games to blame others for their failures?
It’s not just EA it’s evrybody and every one nowadays who does it. Covid really messed humanity up because people stayed at home and did their own “research” on anything, which basically is just to search for their biased opinion and then take it as fact.

Because of this everyone thinks they’re right and entitled all the time on every subject, so anything that thinks different than their own is at fault. See for example Disney coping in a horrible way as well with The Marvels etc.

Healthy self criticism is dead within most companies and people now as well. I hope humanity can repair itself over time but things are beyond messed up at the moment.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

This thread is so funny.

Constantly on this forum people will lament the lack of original games or how EA only makes monetized sequels... Even calling this game's style "generic." Meanwhile this is a s full, original IP, single-player game that is one of the more unique looking games I've ever seen.

I'm not saying it's the best game of the year or anything like that, but how many of you saying this game looks generic bought and played Diablo IV?
Ding ding ding.
Gamers spend and critique like it's 2023, but will talk like it's 2005.

Success

Too many novice takes in this thread.

People who are well versed in gaming know that the Aveum director is correct.

2023 was too much of a stacked year.

If this game came out in 2020 then it would have actually been remembered as one of those janky but lovable games like Deadly Premonition 1.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If a good game, one not even in the same genre, crushes your game, your game was probably not as good as it is supposed to be.

Eh, Titanfall 2 is pretty highly regarded but was steamrollered by COD and Battlefield. I know you said different genres, but I do think the guy has a point - if you look at the release schedule and you think you can soak up a lot of the available press attention and appeal to gamers looking for a new game, you're likely to do better. Obviously, in Titanfall 2's case their own publisher set them up for a fall by putting their own FPS out at the same time.

Last edited:

Skifi28

No, it isn't.

How many of people in this thread calling it mediocre have played it? I am pretty sure most haven't....
I don't agree with this sort of reasoning. I also haven't played Gollum or Kong, but I can tell you for sure they're terrible. If you've been playing games for decades, it's not that hard to judge from gameplay footage and reviews what's good or not. Otherwise we'd just blindly buy every single new game release.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

"How would you know if you didn't play it!!!1!!1"
"He's right!!!11! Its all the fault of that busy schedule!!!!!111111"

Well, lets see what people who did play it have to say about the game:
Graphics are good, combat can be fun. Story and characters are not good. Way to much effort was put into making a mediocre story, when the story should have been much tighter and the bare minimum to move the action along like most arena shooters. What really ruined it for me is even if you hate the story and characters but like the combat, you can't skip the damn cut scenes. Not going to slog through those just to get to the ok arena shooter part
Crap game good luck playing it anyways with awful fps and crashes
Seriously, this game would have been FINE as a linear FPS introducing its magic weapons concept, that was pretty interesting and cool. I would have tolerated its childish characters who drop f-bombs and maybe the boss fights too if it had stuck with that. Look at RoboCop: Rogue City, SIMPLE! And it's amazing for it.
I had to double-check to see if this game was, in fact, rated M for mature. Ascendant, if you develop games to be played by a mature audience in the future, write like it. The beginning of the game is tonally dissonant, chock-full of "witty" dialogue that sounds like it belongs in phase-four of the MCU and, frankly, boring. To best express how boring the opening of this game felt to play, imagine playing the introduction of Skryim, but you aren't ever allowed to run past Ralof or Hadvar. At least Skyrim doesn't assault you with terribly written dialogue. I thought about grinding through it and "giving it the old college try", but I just couldn't. I didn't want to risk not getting my refund for the game, and Lord knows that there are better games I can get on Steam with the ~$30 I spent on this.
The story and dialogue feels like a cringe Disney movie. The world looks expansive at first, but if you try to explore you hit a lot of invisible walls or death barriers. There's no reason to explore anything, chests don't give you anything you need. Maxing out magic skills is a grind and you'll be finished with the game before you even max one out. THERE'S NO NEW GAME+ MODE???????

Gameplay and combat is fun, but the world feels bland and mostly empty. Worth it for $20 on sale, but don't pay anything near $60.

Going by these. Combat can be fun but doesn't really stand out in any way. Story is not just terrible but also forced onto you, getting in the way of the decent parts of the game. Then add technical issues into the fray.

In a world filled with amazing boomer shooters of all varieties, with excellent pacing, visuals and level design, i don't see how a game like this would stand out. Visuals aren't even that good considering the hardware requirements.

Now lets look at another sample:

New IP, indie, made by one dude with no advertising budget, released 4 days after Tears of the kingdom (since games in completely different genres count apparently). Game did just fine, overwhelmingly positive reviews on steam - 6x more reviews than Aveum got, implying much higher sales. Sure game is cheaper, but when you consider ROI its clearly a much more successful case.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Too many novice takes in this thread.

People who are well versed in gaming know that the Aveum director is correct.

2023 was too much of a stacked year.

If this game came out in 2020 then it would have actually been remembered as one of those janky but lovable games like Deadly Premonition 1.

It would take a particularly shit year, for Immortals of Aveum to stand out, in a positive way.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I’ve seen this game so many times before. It’s generic. Having a gun hand that shoots “magic” isn’t enough to cover it.
Ah yes. So many games using that bracelet design, magic as weapons, the enemies designs, architecture designs, armour designs:

Wow, so generic, much call of duty looking.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Ah yes. So many games using that bracelet design, magic as weapons, the enemies designs, architecture designs, armour designs:

Sorry, but this looks like rejects drawings from Magic the Gathering.
If you consider the fantasy genre, instead of CoD, you would realize the design in this game is mostly generic and lame.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sorry, but this looks like rejects drawings from Magic the Gathering.
If you consider the fantasy genre, instead of CoD, you would realize the design in this game is mostly generic and lame.
And Souls games looks like gothic fantasy. Generic too.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Very good retarded handicapped combat simulators.

There is not one single metric where Immortals of Aveum beats From Software's most recent game:
Elden ring is one of the highest ranked games on Steam, with a player count much higher now, than what Immortals ever got.

vgH9phr.png
D8fRbrR.png

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There is not one single metric where Immortals of Aveum beats From Software's most recent game:
Elden ring is one of the highest ranked games on Steam, with a player count much higher now, than what Immortals ever got.

vgH9phr.png
D8fRbrR.png
There is one I can think easily. Efficient manual magic aiming.

Why should I care for others scores? Should I give 10/10 for RDR2 insane input lagged controls too?

Kupfer

You said it, generic.
Here are pictures of 6 different games, and yet it could be the same game because the artstyle is generic af.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

And these are just the games I remember now, I'm sure there are more examples.

Can you tell me which one is which?

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You said it, generic.
Here are pictures of 6 different games, and yet it could be the same game because the artstyle is generic af.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

So all of this games are generic. Got it.

What is non generic for you?

winjer

Gold Member
There is one I can think easily. Efficient manual magic aiming.

Why should I care for others scores? Should I give 10/10 for RDR2 insane input lagged controls too?

That is a stretch. Even in the FPS genre, the combat in Immortals is just average. And that is the best part of the game. The rest is mediocre.
There are hundreds of better FPS in the market.

Kupfer

So all of this games are generic. Got it.

What is non generic for you?

You started this with :
[...] magic as weapons, the enemies designs, architecture designs, armour designs [...] Wow, so generic [...]

I merely gave you examples to show that it is true and, as I said, the artstyle is currently very used up, as many modern games are currently using it.
The game has little recognition value in terms of content, and even less visually, as evidenced by the examples. it's nothing special and doesn't do anything outstandingly well.

Games with recognition value and an outstanding art style in relation to the aspects you mentioned are, for example

Quake I / II / III / IV
Half Life 1 / 2
Far Cry / Crysis
Gravity Rush I / II
Doom 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. / CS / CoP
Super Mario 64 / Sunshine / Galaxy
Zelda BotW / TotK
RDR2
Tearaway
God of War I / II / III
GTA IV
Journey
Killzone 2 / 3
TLoU I / II
Even Gears of War stands out more even if there were and are many imitators of this art style.

There are so many examples and opportunities to stand out and not look and feel generic, and yet IoA (the abbreviated name alone is cumbersome to pronounce and doesn't stick to your brain) doesn't manage it and simply makes use of hackneyed high-fantasy trobes

Buggy Loop

I really don’t think it’s about the graphics, they can look pretty nice, but

1) scored under average in a busy year, who’s got time to bother with this in their schedule?

2) it released with shit performances, a 4090 on PC kneeled and on consoles it looked like pixel soup

3) full price for that? Full price for a shooter and it better be the best goddamn shooter. I didn’t even buy the new Dooms at full price

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You said it, generic.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

Look like ubisoft games! Haha

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You started this with :

I merely gave you examples to show that it is true and, as I said, the artstyle is currently very used up, as many modern games are currently using it.
The game has little recognition value in terms of content, and even less visually, as evidenced by the examples. it's nothing special and doesn't do anything outstandingly well.

Games with recognition value and an outstanding art style in relation to the aspects you mentioned are, for example

Quake I / II / III / IV
Half Life 1 / 2
Far Cry / Crysis
Gravity Rush I / II
Doom 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. / CS / CoP
Super Mario 64 / Sunshine / Galaxy
Zelda BotW / TotK
RDR2
Tearaway
God of War I / II / III
GTA IV
Journey
Killzone 2 / 3
TLoU I / II
Even Gears of War stands out more even if there were and are many imitators of this art style.

There are so many examples and opportunities to stand out and not look and feel generic, and yet IoA (the abbreviated name alone is cumbersome to pronounce and doesn't stick to your brain) doesn't manage it and simply makes use of hackneyed high-fantasy trobes
Imagine calling RDR2, GTA, TLOU, Stalker, Crysis, FarCry, HL, pursuing ctrl C ctrl V real work designs non generic. -_-'

-Generic
-lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal.

freemandos

Neo Member
In the last five years we had:
Amid Evil
Northern Journey
Arthurian Legends
Hedon
Lunacid

If an high-budgeted fantasy FPS with, I don't know, a hundred of more budget and marketing can't match any of these indie fantasy FPS games good reception and/or archievement..there's a problem. Because, before the poor sales... it's not like it had won a "cult game" poster.

Robocop: Rogue was released near Spider-man 2 and Alan Wake II. Journalists were hard with the game, but players and youtubers are raving with it and its sales are being good. A mid-budget game.

Sooo...I disagree. There's more than "Baldur's Gate 3 happened".

Kupfer

Imagine calling RDR2, GTA, TLOU, Stalker, Crysis, FarCry, HL, pursuing ctrl C ctrl V real work designs non generic. -_-'
Okay. I'm just giving you the examples you asked for and emphasizing my point of view.
You, on the other hand, don't manage to make it clear to me why this game is so important and outstanding to you. You don't manage to arouse my interest so that I might reconsider my notion and become curious about the game after all. Instead, you equate everything that doesn't fit with your aspects with CoD, a game that wasn't mentioned here at all and couldn't be more generic and boring.

That's not how a discussion that should bear fruit or be interesting to me works.

I would be able to clearly recognize each of the games I mentioned. Whether based on the real world or not based on the (level) architecture or the character design.
I can't say that about IoA and many other games.
You're shooting against your own stance with your statements like these
-Generic
-lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal.
because all this is true for IoA.

But nevermind, this is going nowhere.
I wish you all the fun in the world with Immortals of Aveum, I mean that seriously.
Everyone should play what they enjoy, but for me and many others that doesn't make the game any better.

Last edited:

Peroroncino

The game seemed like your usual generic woke mediocrity, but I don't think it deserved to bomb so hard. They should've pushed it to 2024 just to get out of the way, even with no marketing during dry month it'd probably still do better.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

So I just rewatched the trailer to try and remember why it seemed unappealing to me.

Strike 1: it’s EA

Strike 2: stupid name

Strike 3: everything about that trailer just screams 2023 design-by-committee Hollywood trash. Corny dialog, horribly unlikeable characters, ugly blue & orange color scheme, nothing that draws me in or makes me think it’ll be worth my time.

This is the kind of thing where I just file it under the “I’d be pleasantly surprised if it doesn’t suck” category and pay it no mind until I see some reason to believe otherwise.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
because all this is true for IoA.

But nevermind, this is going nowhere.
I wish you all the fun in the world with Immortals of Aveum, I mean that seriously.
I will enjoy the non Ctrl C Ctrl V and non generic art/designs of IoA.

Strike 1: it’s EA

Strike 2: stupid nameugly blue & orange color scheme
The mental gymnastics to hate a game.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Are you actually here to discuss anything? Or are you just selectively quoting stuff to try and discredit naysayers because you’re so butthurt that people didn’t like a game you liked?
How have a sane discussion with one calling the colours ugly?

Top Bottom