• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum director blames poor sales on busy release calendar and says "no one anticipated" Baldur's Gate 3 to be so successful

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I blame their poor sales on releasing a video of the gameplay

Fail Just For Laughs GIF

taylor34

Neo Member
I actually didn't think the game was that bad when playing through the free trial right now. I expected the worst game ever based upon this thread. But it's decent honestly, how many fantasy FPS shooters do we get? Not many. It's a nice change of pace.

SCB3

Well yes that’s one thing it has been a fucking good year for games but yours just didn’t stand out and was rightly compared and put aside the likes of Forspoken

So while it’s true that no one predicted just how good BG3 was gonna be, this game would’ve lost out to at least 15-20 others this year as it just wasn’t good enough

//DEVIL//

Your game is 5 out of 10 at best. but you have the nerve to say and not even think of a second that a Builders gate game not going to be successful ???? a Builders gate game ???

Man you should be fired for that comment alone + whatever crap mismanagement you did during development

BG3 showed that gamers are ready to buy good old videogames (based on solid gameplay) even released on non-Nintendo hardware. I am personally fed up of those story driven cinematic "games".

Last edited:
Imagine calling RDR2, GTA, TLOU, Stalker, Crysis, FarCry, HL, pursuing ctrl C ctrl V real work designs non generic. -_-'

-Generic
-lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal.

This take is throwing thousands of years of art under the bus. What is mise-en-scène...

Cashon

Banned

So I just rewatched the trailer to try and remember why it seemed unappealing to me.

Strike 1: it’s EA

Strike 2: stupid name

Strike 3: everything about that trailer just screams 2023 design-by-committee Hollywood trash. Corny dialog, horribly unlikeable characters, ugly blue & orange color scheme, nothing that draws me in or makes me think it’ll be worth my time.

This is the kind of thing where I just file it under the “I’d be pleasantly surprised if it doesn’t suck” category and pay it no mind until I see some reason to believe otherwise.

If I only saw this trailer, I would 100% agree with you. This trailer does not do the actual game justice, in my opinion.

SHA

It's one of ue4 converted to ue5 games, technically a last gen game, despite the reviews, a next Gen game must meet all new standards without background issues, or it could to turn to joke or something as severe as cyberpunk launch, games should be taken seriously.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It was a solid game, better than I expected. Not groundbreaking or anything but I enjoyed my time with it. I had more fun with it than I did FFXVI.

manfestival

You said it, generic.
Here are pictures of 6 different games, and yet it could be the same game because the artstyle is generic af.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

And these are just the games I remember now, I'm sure there are more examples.

Can you tell me which one is which?
which one of these games is godfall again?

kizito

I really tried to like this game and gave it a fair chance. But an update broke DLSS making the game blurry and I couldn't be bothered with it anymore. It is competing with outstanding experiences, so if your game is not perfectly polished on day one, and neither outstanding from a gameplay perspective, don't expect me to waste my time with it or recommend it to people.

Fake

You said it, generic.
Here are pictures of 6 different games, and yet it could be the same game because the artstyle is generic af.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

I can smell western by a mile now.

You said it, generic.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

I played some of the demo last night and I'm convinced pictures 1, 2 and 6 are Immortals of Aveum.

Anyway most of my demo time was spent on the phone because I couldn't skip the boring cutscenes. The opening level's follow-the-character design was maddening. Assassin's Creed 2 did the same opening ten thousand times better.
Also I don't understand the setup of the second level. The Matrix Revolutions woman personally trains me but there's no sense of journey, time or setting, it's like "here's another UE5 demo go shoot stuff". Lichdom Battlemage made more sense 10 years ago.

Almost dropped my phone when I glanced at the cutscene and saw Michael Kirkbride wrote this garbage. His mushrooms and LSD stash must have been low for this one.

Guilty_AI

You said it, generic.

ZzfDVCw.jpg

FVzOxFW.jpg

MyKKInv.jpg

QRVBOI3.jpg

a1qyq5g.jpg

soq00rx.jpg

Ok, i want to try

1-IoA
2-Godfall
3-Lemme get this straight.... Is she fighting a hecking huge frick glowy alligator!?!?!
4-No clue. Maybe starts with A....
5-Warframe(?)
6-Destiny 2(?)

MacReady13

I picked it up from Amazon here in Australia during their black friday sale. Cost around $39. Played for about an hour. So far it's not bad! Cringy dialogue but i'm not really listening much to the game as I'm listening to podcasts but the game plays well enough. For the price I paid, I'm content.

Camreezie

EA have also taught the market to wait until a game is introduced to EA Play so what do they expect?

Last edited:
Am I playing the same game as you guys? I picked the PS5 version up on sale and played the first few chapters and so far I've enjoyed it. Was expecting worse after all the negativity surrounding the game to be honest. The fact that it is FPS makes it infinitely better than another generic TPS and one of the main reasons I wanted to check it out.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

He is kinda right though. I mean, it's a mediocre game released alongside so many stellar releases. Crowded schedule definitely harmed their sales as even if someone was interested in checking it out, there might have been more games that felt much more interesting and compelling to buy at day one than this one
Yeah ea were retarded releasing this game in september, probably would of had a chance at the beginning of next year

Top Bottom