• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FYQ4: $899 million profit, Battlefront 14+ million, 9.4M Battlefield players in Q4

Welfare

Lineup

ea1yscl.png

And slides

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...F-0BB99E07427E/Q4_FY16_Slide_Presentation.pdf
What is NBA Live even doing lol.

IvanJ

Banned
While I should be surprised that they're launching NBA Live again, the actual surprise is that they're going to avoid the start of the NBA season when they do.

Notice it's the only sports game that is not "17". A bastard child of the sports family (deservedly), I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped it digital only for $20 in March. They are probably just fulfilling the licencing obligation, that series sells like crap, it's definitely losing money.

singhr1

NBA Live yay :p

How much does it even sell? I'm quite curious. I don't know much about the gameplay really, but the demo I played the graphics are remarkable, for Live 15 that was.

EA Sports titles might be super iterative and have zero competition for Madden and NHL.... but at least if they do one thing right it's the graphics.

I even still sometimes boot up the NHL 14 or 15 demo on PS4 lol :D

Wait you played the demo and you don't know much about the gameplay?

EA Sports games (outside of Fifa) have been very lackluster this gen, I don't know where you've been.

What is NBA Live even doing lol.

Right? Whose the consumer buying NBA Live in Feb/March... near the END of the regular season?

Saty

You would think with Origin + Denuvo EA will put their other sport games on PC as well. God knows NBA Live needs every unit it can get.

jelmerjt

Rösti;203160802 said:
The conference call has begun.

Yep:

Electronic Arts will host a conference call on May 10, 2016 at 2:00 pm PT (5:00 pm ET) to review its results for the fourth quarter ended March 31, 2016 and its outlook for the future. During the course of the call, Electronic Arts may disclose material developments affecting its business and/or financial performance. Listeners may access the conference call live through the following dial-in number 844-215-4106 (domestic) or 918-534-8313 (international), using the password “EA” or via webcast at http://ir.ea.com.

http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/4aa8he2r

Given how the playerbase has dropped so quickly they're going to have an interesting time trying to sell people on a second game if there ever is another made. In fact I'd rather like to see the return/trade-in statistics on Battlefront. 14 million sold-to retailers just doesn't seem that spectacular if the attach-rate is terrible.

blakep267

So EA is releasing Titanfall 2 relatively close to Battlefield 1 & COD. I mean, why? While I'd rather play TF more than both of those, I don't get the reasoning

Given how the playerbase has dropped so quickly they're going to have an interesting time trying to sell people on a second game if there ever is another made. In fact I'd rather like to see the return/trade-in statistics on Battlefront. 14 million sold-to retailers just doesn't seem that spectacular if the attach-rate is terrible.

No it's just as impressive. Money exchanged hands it doesn't matter about the "trade-in" statistics. EA already made bank

tanooki27

"We're gonna make a game. It's a Star Wars game. It's the sequel to a Star Wars game that sold 14 million copies."

yea tough sell

Xater

I'm kinda shocked EA is competing with themselves in the shooter space. Don't know if that's a great idea. Probably worse for Titanfall 2 than for Battlefield 1 though.

darscot

I honestly think people on GAF think EA has like a secret warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant and 10 million copies of Battlefront in it. Guess what, they don't the game sold like crazy and is a huge success.

You would think with Origin + Denuvo EA will put their other sport games on PC as well. God knows NBA Live needs every unit it can get.

IIRC FIFA is decently big on PC in Korea and that helps it get on PC.

They likely don't think games like NHL or NBA Live would be worth the effort, but my hope is that with Origin Access maybe these games start heading to PC in a few years in hopes they add value to the vault. I would really like to play UFC at a decent frame rate.

I'm sure Madden would be fine regardless, so I don't really understand why they abandoned it.

edit: And obviously soccer's popularity in other PC markets helps, too.

"We're gonna make a game. It's a Star Wars game. It's the sequel to a Star Wars game that sold 14 million copies."

yea tough sell

Exactly.

The second is gonna be in a much stronger position (content wise), if they implement what they have (secretly?) been asking the player base.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For future reference: Battlefront Premium attach rate 10%

This would explain why it looks like Battlefield 1 is moving toward microtransaction equipment/vanity/currency packs and away from map packs, at least as far as we know so far.

Xater

This would explain why it looks like Battlefield 1 is moving toward microtransaction equipment/vanity/currency packs and away from map packs, at least as far as we know so far.

Yeah I was wondering if they would do that with BF1. The current extras all sound like cosmetics and no word of Premium has been spoken. I did hear about free maps already though.

Chris1

They've also been giving map packs away for BF4/Hardline away for free lately. EA Access even gives out premium for both games free..

For future reference: Battlefront Premium attach rate 10%
Is that low or high compared to other games?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that low or high compared to other games?

Battlefield 3 Premium did 4+ million copies in the end.

This would be 1.4 million, which isn't terrible for an up front result (Battlefield started somewhere around that), and is obviously a ton of high profit revenue, but it's not amazing and not heading in the ideal direction.

The question is if they think they can make more monetizing differently.

Warriorr

Neo Member
When they moved it out of the fiscal year, they said it represented $100 million in revenue, so about 2 million copies.

Mirror's Edge 2008 did more than 2.5 million in the long run BUT with heavy discounts. I have a feeling Catalyst won't meet expectations... And the team in DICE will most likely move to Battlefront/Battlefield projects then.

Mirror's Edge 2008 did more than 2.5 million in the long run BUT with heavy discounts. I have a feeling Catalyst won't meet expectations... And the team in DICE will most likely move to Battlefront/Battlefield projects then.

It's sort of amazing the Catalyst exists in the first place. I didn't really think it would ever happen until they announced it.

Did anyone catch during analyst questions if EA said the title in 2018FY would be a Star Wars title, or just an "action" one with no other specifics?

I know they said there is an "action-oriented title in the Star Wars genre" but I thought that wasn't the 2018FY title (implying later release).

Granjinha

Wonder if the new unnanounced IP is Bioware's?

I mean, Visceral is doing Star Wars and EA doesn't have much studios left to do new IP.

Btw, where is the game from the Brothers director? Isn't EA publishing that?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Did anyone catch during analyst questions if EA said the title in 2018FY would be a Star Wars title, or just an "action" one with no other specifics?

I know they said there is an "action-oriented title in the Star Wars genre" but I thought that wasn't the 2018FY title (implying later release).
What I heard was action title (which I assume is Motive) was as late was FY20 and the Star Wars action adventure title was FY18 or FY19.

Have to wait until the recording is up to clarify if I misheard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I mean, Visceral is doing Star Wars and EA doesn't have much studios left to do new IP.

They are, though I assume a new IP they'd bother announcing on a fiscal call would be a bit bigger.

jelmerjt

EA not really concerned about Battlefield 1 / Titanfall 2 cannibalization. Some people play this, some people play that, blabla.

They have Criterion and we got a glimpse of that game.

What I heard was action title (which I assume is Massive) was as late was FY20 and the Star Wars action adventure title was FY18 or FY19.

Have to wait until the recording is up to clarify if I misheard.

Ah yea I couldn't exactly follow with the exact wording here.

Will wait for replay as well, but I think you might be right that the 2018-2019FY title will indeed be Star Wars ;-)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
"We're most likely going to have one Star Wars title a year for the next few years"

Now able to be based on the new movies, not the historical movies only as before.

Quentyn

One Star Wars title a year for the next three or four years. Battefront 2 is next year, the Visceral/Motive game the year after that.

Top Bottom