• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC |OT| Bigger than FIFA

I am really enjoying this game online for the most part, but it seems the higher you go up, the more you encounter the same players. Everyone seems to start using Aldo, Jones, Cain, etc.

Use Barao, no one seems to use him and he is a 96 lol

ron_bato

Looks like TJ is getting in the game this month, awesome news, now hopefully they do Matt Brown soon.

EA SPORTS UFC ‏@EASPORTSUFC 6h
Get ready to dominate with @TJDillashaw in #EASPORTSUFC this month. RT now for a chance to win this signed pic!

BrzJhjMCUAApEhP.jpg

Delt31

with the price of this game dropping (ebay) to around 40 or so, I'm thinking about getting in. Ive played the demo and liked it based on the insane graphics. Whats the verdict since it's been out? I know its prob more bare boned but is online fun? Is rage quoting an issue?

dcx4610

with the price of this game dropping (ebay) to around 40 or so, I'm thinking about getting in. Ive played the demo and liked it based on the insane graphics. Whats the verdict since it's been out? I know its prob more bare boned but is online fun? Is rage quoting an issue?

I'm not an online guy but I've had a lot of fun with it. No server problems and if a player disconnects, you get a win and they get a loss.

The way online works is you fight progressively harder players as you win and once you get to Purple/Brown belt, all you fight are Cain/Aldo/Rousey/Jones. They are massively overpowered and they are being controlled by people that know what they are doing.

Expect a lot of fluke one shot KOs or complete bullshit dominations. Still a ton of fun.

knee

After many wins and many losses, I finally won the championship in the Black Belt division. The reward for that is.... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! lol, not even an achievement.

I'm done with this slightly above average game. :-]

$40 shipped anyone? I'll be putting it in the Buy, Sell, Trade thread also.

ron_bato

Go get that TJ Dillashaw update! Along with T-Wood and Mizugaki! it's now live! Along with some gameplay tweaks (500+ MB total)

1.02 update is live too and it's looking damn good!

Added:
-Finish the fight: allowing users to land extra shots after the fight is over
-Added sprawls when defending power takedowns
-Added ability to touch gloves
-removed power takedowns and side control sweeps from fighters who shouldn't have them
-Stamina and damage changes are now relative to accelerated clock
-Animation of sweeps take longer, much larger window to counter sweeps
-framerate fixes!
-opened grand prix invitational tournament online
-red belt division added to championships

- and much much more!

Well done with this update (at least on paper -- stuff they did sounds good, let's see if it translates into a better game overall)! Downloading now to give my impressions!

ron_bato

Need to get some videos of the changes, I'm in work so I can't try them out.

Here's a link of the discussion from OS, a EA Sports UFC dev is chiming in, so read the link for some impressions: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...-02-available-now-patch-notes-included-2.html

this patch has been mostly positive for me with one glaring issue:

found one issue while the CPU is in full guard, now that the sweeps are much easier to defend, it's easy to pin the CPU down in full guard and unleash ground and pound. They rely too heavily on the sweeps and don't try to stand up as much, therefore it's easy to pin them down in full guard and win that way. The ref doesn't initiate stand ups too, so right now it's too easy to win via GNP from full guard.

Baby steps, I guess. This game is much better now, and I suppose my issue above is more of a issue against the CPU, against human opponents, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Love the update to stamina too. Much more realistic and less conducive to spamming. BTW, the CPU aggressiveness hasn't been fixed yet, but they will in a future update.

ron_bato

the sprawl animation is nice, very nice addition to make the power takedowns more painful when you fail to finish them.

Also to touch gloves at the beginning of the round, hold L2 while heading towards your opponent.

ron_bato

posting a quick youtube video of my main issue with the patch in a bit. I like that it's easier to counter sweeps from full guard now, I don't like that it's the only thing that the CPU does when he's in bottom position of full guard. Leading him to be susceptible to ground and pound as the sweeps are now easier to defend and the cpu refuses to try to stand up, while the ref just allows you to camp inside somebody's full guard. It's ruined the ground game for me, and soured me on an otherwise good balance update (have not tried it out against human opponents, but I usually play against the cpu for a quick game just for fun, but now it's sucked the fun out of playing against the CPU for me).

Difficulty is pro by the way. I've now knocked out guys from inside their full guard in four straight matches -_-

Loomba

posting a quick youtube video of my main issue with the patch in a bit. I like that it's easier to counter sweeps from full guard now, I don't like that it's the only thing that the CPU does when he's in bottom position of full guard. Leading him to be susceptible to ground and pound as the sweeps are now easier to defend and the cpu refuses to try to stand up, while the ref just allows you to camp inside somebody's full guard. It's ruined the ground game for me, and soured me on an otherwise good balance update (have not tried it out against human opponents, but I usually play against the cpu for a quick game just for fun, but now it's sucked the fun out of playing against the CPU for me).

Difficulty is pro by the way. I've now knocked out guys from inside their full guard in four straight matches -_-

Head on over to this thread on the official forums:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10130933.page

There is a gameplay developer answering questions and taking suggestions. He seems to be quite active too, I'd voice your concerns there.

Wubbys

Got to black belt last night. Really enjoying this game. My striking and submissions are getting really good. Every once in a while I will run into someone who has an unnatural ground game and that is pretty much the only way I lose now. If you feel you are an expert on the mat I would love to pick your brain and play a few matches.

ron_bato

Got to black belt last night. Really enjoying this game. My striking and submissions are getting really good. Every once in a while I will run into someone who has an unnatural ground game and that is pretty much the only way I lose now. If you feel you are an expert on the mat I would love to pick your brain and play a few matches.

I am by no means an expert, but I am at least very competent. With my enjoyment against the AI going away because of the recent patch, I'll likely play more online now, feel free to add me. PSN ID: ron_bato

Wubbys

Ahh shoot should have added that I am on xbox. :/. Ron what advice would you give me when I can't escape from the bottom. Transitions seem to get blocked and so do my attempts to get back to my feet.

ron_bato

Ahh shoot should have added that I am on xbox. :/. Ron what advice would you give me when I can't escape from the bottom. Transitions seem to get blocked and so do my attempts to get back to my feet.

Oh okay, no biggie. Well, I've encountered guys who are too damn good on the ground too, I've lost a bunch to guys who are able to stall me like that and my main advice is to just really wait for your opening. If you panic and try to transition to a better position repeatedly (essentially spamming your escapes) then it is easier to block, your opponent is most likely going to unload some ground and pound at one point, so that's usually when I try to stand up.

Also, mix up your transitions. Don't keep trying to escape on one side as it becomes easy to defend, mix it up. I usually do a quarter circle turn to the right, then if it's blocked try to do a quarter circle turn to the left. If that's blocked, then I just try to wait it out and do what I did above.

I am by no means saying that the above will work, as some guys are just really good at holding me down, and that's how I've lost a lot, but those techniques worked for me against some decent ground guys.

dcx4610

Epic patch. EA deserves some praise for what they've done here. Most of the stuff added would normally be reserved for EA UFC 2.

Wubbys

Okay cool that sounds like a solid plan. I think I am guilty of spamming transitions on the ground so I will try to focus on that!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Epic patch. EA deserves some praise for what they've done here. Most of the stuff added would normally be reserved for EA UFC 2.
I was about to post the same thing.

I know it's a small thing, but I absolutely love being able to touch gloves. :D

Coolade

Well, here it is, what I would like to now label as full guard cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrjb9rWtXUw&feature=youtu.be

That is not cheese. Attempting multiple full sweeps while being punched in the face is going to interrupt the sweep attempts. You have to hold R2 and fully block a strike before attempting to transition out. Spamming transitions and not blocking is an easy way to get yourself knocked out. If you simply held R2 in that spot the ref would stand you up.

Egg0

Banned
Just read the patch notes. Too bad I already traded the game in, because some of these changes look great.

I'll have to be on a lookout for a sale or something.

dcx4610

I started my career and can't get past the first fight, lmao. I only lost to that first guy. FFS

Your character starts off as a scrub with like a 60 overall rating. It's hard to do anything. Once you start building your stats you get better quickly and can max everything to 100.

If I had to recommend anything it would be to start your career on hard or pro. I was KO'ing everyone with body shots or finishing them in the first round any way I wanted once my stats were high. It's just too easy except for a few special fights they throw at you.

ron_bato

That is not cheese. Attempting multiple full sweeps while being punched in the face is going to interrupt the sweep attempts. You have to hold R2 and fully block a strike before attempting to transition out. Spamming transitions and not blocking is an easy way to get yourself knocked out. If you simply held R2 in that spot the ref would stand you up.

I know that, I'm the guy doing the punching in this clip (Cruz). I'm saying that once you are inside the cpu's full guard, all he does is try to sweep, and since sweeps are easier to defend now, it's easy to knock the cpu out even in pro difficulty because he refuses to try to stand up. This is at the highest difficulty and I've won fights against the cpu this way once it hits the ground.

edit: Aside from my main complaint regarding the CPU relying too heavily on sweeps when in full guard, this patch just made this game so much better. The adjustment to stamina makes the game play better and really penalizes guys who spam strikes too much, if you wait out the rounds and head to the later rounds, they most likely will have very little energy to stay effective.

zsswimmer

I really like the patch changes but for whatever reason these punch spammers are knocking me out. Its frustrating because they are easy to parry, but even parrying shots to the head it seems like I always go down first. The full guard to mount sweep was in desperate need of changing so Im glad EA did that

zsswimmer

I am clueless about the ground game still

I usually have the controller map up while playing just for a quick reference:

http://www.easports.com/ufc/news-updates-gameplay/article/ea-sports-ufc-tips-and-tricks-controller-map

Pretty much the ground game works by trying to counter whatever your opponent is doing. If you notice the keep attempting a stand up from the bottom, you hold R2 and press down at the same time. If they are trying a sweep, like the one from guard to mount, hold R2 and press in the direction that they are sweeping you in - that will block them from doing so. Anyways that link has some tips about controls and how to do the submissions (which at first I had no clue how to).. it seems complicated but once it clicks it kinda makes sense

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

http://www.easports.com/ufc/news-updates-gameplay/article/ea-sports-ufc-tips-and-tricks-controller-map

Pretty much the ground game works by trying to counter whatever your opponent is doing. If you notice the keep attempting a stand up from the bottom, you hold R2 and press down at the same time. If they are trying a sweep, like the one from guard to mount, hold R2 and press in the direction that they are sweeping you in - that will block them from doing so. Anyways that link has some tips about controls and how to do the submissions (which at first I had no clue how to).. it seems complicated but once it clicks it kinda makes sense

Yeah I agree actually. My first several hours with the game I was totally in the controls-suck camp but after I printed out the maps and played around with them for a few more hours I started to mostly like them.

zsswimmer

Yeah its definitely one of those things that just take awhile to get into muscle memory. I know a lot of people were complaining about the complicated controls in the demo thread but tbh I'm glad they were complicated because it makes it a lot more dynamic.

Also Im loving the power takedown stuffs let you get the front headlock position. Its very easy to maneuver to the back from there and a lot of people don't know how to block that transition. Got a couple of easy RNC with Nate Diaz ;)

ron_bato

Does the 1.02 patch make the framerate rock-solid on PS4 now?

I experienced a bit of the choppiness during gameplay, but I don't notice it as much as I did pre-patch. But, the frame rate is still bad for replays, entrances, and in the menus.

N° 2048

I noticed the fighters don't slide around as much either...nice tweaks but EA UFC 2 has some serious work ahead of it.

Awesome. Thanks man

I have never minded the controls in this game as it kinda plays like Undisputed. They both have a very similar layout.

Top Bottom