• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC |OT| Bigger than FIFA

LAM09

The online Gameface is actually pretty nice. Sadly, it looks like EA UFC doesn't support it even though it says it does on their site. You can only select pre-made faces and when you download Gameface in the game, it just chooses the closest match.

I can't believe how rushed this game feels. That spent all of their time on presentation it seems.

My sentiments exactly!

MickeyPhree

Has anyone created a Gameface for UFC?

I have. It looks similair to me but my cheeks came out odd.

jP5P96W.jpg

LAM09

It seems like it all depends on how you look. Some people look closer to the pre made faces than others. My eyes look so weird on UFC.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone know what the Fighter Updates are about?

Are they adding new guys, tweaking moves or fixing bugs or something?

Just some adjustments to some player stats according to EA on Twitter. They didn't list which fighters though.

TheFatOne

Have been trying this out on my brothers PS4. I finally beat Frank Mir, but man that was some bullshit. How do you defeat guys who only go after take downs and submissions when your career guy still has low stats on sub/take down defense? I didn't feel like the game punished Mir enough for throwing 5000 take down attempts. I would block most of his attempts, and somehow he would still get me when he had no stamina left. I would also try to punish him when his stamina was zero, but he flash knocked down me multiple times. I tried to stay back and counter, but he would inevitably get me on the ground and try another 500 submissions. Was an extremely frustrating match.

N° 2048

I've never been so frustrated trying to get DLC working. I haven't been able to restore licenses on my PS4 for seven days. Bruce Lee and Royce Gracie are locked and say "Not Downloaded" even though I've downloaded and installed them both via PSN. I can connect to the internet and play online perfectly but can't restore licenses at all.

They tell me that PSN is experiencing downtime meanwhile I seem to be the only one that can't restore licenses. Their site doesn't mention anything about PSN having technical difficulties either.

One rep told me to wait two hours, another told me to wait 12. Now, the one I just spoke to told me to wait a couple of days. I know it's just Bruce Lee/Royce but I expect to be able to play what I paid for.

Just venting, have no choice but to wait until PSN decides to let me restore my licenses *sigh*

knee

Is there some secret to actually getting a submission started? TAke down plus r1 quarter circle and nothing happens. Not even the animation of the guy trying to escape the hold.

First mma game since ufc back on the Dreamcast.

The direction of the quarter circle matters depending on position, submission skill, and the fighter you're using.

They don't really explain who has what.

MickeyPhree

The direction of the quarter circle matters depending on position, submission skill, and the fighter you're using.

They don't really explain who has what.

Yeah I figured it out eventually. The tutorial didn't even explain translations using the L1 button.

Enjoying this overall, it's a decent first effort. Started out online 22-6 with 5 of those losses coming from body shot spamming.

Even though I block them they appear to eventually cripple me without much of a stamina penalty for the guy throwing them. Any word on them patching it? Massively glaring fault in an otherwise good stand up game.

LAM09

I completed Career mode on Normal, and it was quite enjoyable. It did become quite easy after a bit though. I will do another Career on Pro in a few days to unlock Bruce Lee, but I presume it will be much harder.

I completed Career mode on Normal, and it was quite enjoyable. It did become quite easy after a bit though. I will do another Career on Pro in a few days to unlock Bruce Lee, but I presume it will be much harder.

How... Weidman is pissing me off. Literally one strike and I'm staggering s

LAM09

How... Weidman is pissing me off. Literally one strike and I'm staggering s

He wasn't that hard for me. I took him down when I could, and tried to make him submit. Played him first for the title, and again when he was 100 OVR. He will beat you if you go all out.

Body spamming just kills this game online, it's like no one wants to have fun

Anderson Silva knees in the plum are still deadly at least, take that spammers

Finally had a fight go the distance, don't know how I won the D though haha.....

dreamfall

I really wish they tweaked the control scheme for remote play.

Trying to counter by pressing the back right panel and a face button is so poorly executed. I wish we could've had the R trigger for counters, panels for high/low modifiers. On ground, stopping transitions with the back panel- sheeeeeeeesh.

tcourt

Neo Member
The online play is a head scratcher. Some matches will be fine, others it's impossible to do the normal stuff: defend takedowns, avoid submission attempts, get back to standing position. And not being able to do the simple stuff makes you lose matches.

I fought one match against ronaldo souza, absolutely could not defend the submission, was choked out and was helpless to stop it. A few matches later I fought souza again, and i complete stuffed every submission attempt, and he was spamming them. This inconsistency just kills online play for me.

The online play is a head scratcher. Some matches will be fine, others it's impossible to do the normal stuff: defend takedowns, avoid submission attempts, get back to standing position. And not being able to do the simple stuff makes you lose matches.

I fought one match against ronaldo souza, absolutely could not defend the submission, was choked out and was helpless to stop it. A few matches later I fought souza again, and i complete stuffed every submission attempt, and he was spamming them. This inconsistency just kills online play for me.

Stamina plays a major role in how big the window for denying something is. The consistency, be it online or offline is the same, but your internet connection with other players might not be.

tcourt

Neo Member
Stamina plays a major role in how big the window for denying something is. The consistency, be it online or offline is the same, but your internet connection with other players might not be.

Yeah that's the thing, when the game's matchmaking pairs you up with someone with a great or lousy ping, that directly affects what you can do in the game, and whether your helpless to stuff something you clearly see coming.

-Snooze-

Banned
I don't understand how far off the mark EA cam be after Undisputed laid out such an excellent foundation, they should have just built on THQ's offering, instead of what we have no.
Average striking, awful blocking system, Inept ground game, and the grappling is almost pointless.
Also, why the hell can everyone take so much punishment, and then randomly be frail as a pensioner?

I don't understand how far off the mark EA cam be after Undisputed laid out such an excellent foundation, they should have just built on THQ's offering, instead of what we have no.
Average striking, awful blocking system, Inept ground game, and the grappling is almost pointless.
Also, why the hell can everyone take so much punishment, and then randomly be frail as a pensioner?

EA themselves had a pretty good foundation in the EA MMA game.. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

The UFC game is FAR too complicated and misses the mark on so many levels. IT sucks, because I was really looking forward to it.

EA themselves had a pretty good foundation in the EA MMA game.. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

The UFC game is FAR too complicated and misses the mark on so many levels. IT sucks, because I was really looking forward to it.

I agree EA MMA played much better than this does. It was challenging too but the game wasn't bullshit with ai like this one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm maybe 5-10 hours in and kind of feel like this game is being underrated a bit because the controls give off such a bad first impression and the glitch videos kind of poison the well a bit. (Both fair reactions mind you.)

Once I watched the control videos (~20m or something?) and printed out the controller layout I felt pretty set at least in terms of basic gameplay. Some of the layout decisions are a bit confusing but once you learn the buttons they're not super hard to execute. Has anyone found a good strategy article though? Just like any MMA game I feel like there are some important points that the instructional materials are silent on. For example, to block a transition can you just hold RT + RS L/R or is there any benefit/need to timing it right? I found out in one of the in-game tips before match or whatever that you can do better transitions after blocking strikes. Makes sense but not specified anywhere else afaict. Wish there was a central place for this stuff.

I actually really like the blocking scheme of having a generic weak block and then a stronger block if you specify high/low plus a bonus for timing it. (Haven't seen any caught strikes though, just parries.) But I feel like the input lag even for offline makes it that you basically have to guess to get the timing right. They really need to cut the lag to zero because it hurts some of the stuff they built in.

I even like the way they did subs, at least compared to every other system I've played (and I think I've played them all -- mashing/shining was the absolute worst -- at least now my fingers only hurt from transition spamming).

NB that none of the above impressions are based on online competitive play, just local vs. friends & CPU. I realize/expect that many mechanics are probably totally broken/crappy for online. But I think they have a decent foundation to build on:
-Remove all input lag.
-Clean up the control scheme in obvious ways (don't require modifier button where there is no basic button).
-Clean up glitches (like the fact that when dudes get KO'd they still complete certain moves first, which leads to many of the glitch videos you see).

VoxPop

I never really had issues with the controls due to playing MMA/Boxing/Fighting games my entire life.

I have more issues with the shitty gameplay and little things like the pillow punches, stamina not meaning anything, everything being a full on knockout, everyone having the same moves, unrealistic wwe-esque backdrop suplexes for everyone, and a bunch of other things.

I played Undisputed 3 and EA MMA to death but EA UFC has been collecting dust for the past week. I'm hoping for low sales so EA quickly sells off the assets to a better developer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
haha that's a bummer. i can't imagine a better sport for video-game adaptation but yeah they all seem to suffer from some pretty big flaws. thankfully my bar is pretty low. just want to mess around with career and get a title, then play with friends randomly. with no one ever truly getting that deep into the game

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
They need to patch in the ability to change difficulty in career and also having entrances for 3 round fights.

Still love the game.

VoxPop

haha that's a bummer. i can't imagine a better sport for video-game adaptation but yeah they all seem to suffer from some pretty big flaws. thankfully my bar is pretty low. just want to mess around with career and get a title, then play with friends randomly. with no one ever truly getting that deep into the game

Yeah but I think its more than fine for casual players. Everyone loves KO's and to spam crazy spinning moves. I was just hoping to have some fun with the game like I did with the old ones since EA said its likely to be on a bi-annual release cycle. This one got boring quick. It's always the most fun when you have someone who enjoys it as much as you do and would compete with all the time until the new one comes out. Kinda like every other sports game I guess.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's the deal with stamina? It doesn't affect power or something? I feel like I can feel when my guy is gassed but don't really know. It does feel like really swingy things like KOs and reversals (into mount!) can happen very easily; might be nice if they just toned down frequency on those.

I never really had issues with the controls due to playing MMA/Boxing/Fighting games my entire life.

I have more issues with the shitty gameplay and little things like the pillow punches, stamina not meaning anything, everything being a full on knockout, everyone having the same moves, unrealistic wwe-esque backdrop suplexes for everyone, and a bunch of other things.

I played Undisputed 3 and EA MMA to death but EA UFC has been collecting dust for the past week. I'm hoping for low sales so EA quickly sells off the assets to a better developer.

Need stamina to posture up and have powerful gnp, stamina helps you get up off the round, impacts effectiveness f the cinch......

red731

Had so much fun yesterday with the demo with my friend.

We were actualy cheering and screaming
KuGsj.gif

I was playing a JJ against AG and that mofo put to me to sleep while I was trying to get out of that leg clinch. That was awesome.

knee

Man.. the best fighters in the game seem to be the best by FAR.

If I rated the fighter stats from 1-10, it would shake out like this:
  • 90 or below = 0
  • 91 = 1
  • 92 = 2
  • 100 = 10

I guess it makes sense in that the 'best' fighters will usually win... but the game needs to be a little more balanced.

Man.. the best fighters in the game seem to be the best by FAR.

If I rated the fighter stats from 1-10, it would shake out like this:
  • 90 or below = 0
  • 91 = 1
  • 92 = 2
  • 100 = 10

I guess it makes sense in that the 'best' fighters will usually win... but the game needs to be a little more balanced.

Yea, I wouldn't touch the guys below 90 in ranked, you may be able to dominate someone with a <90 because you know the game better but if they are using a >94 and spam strikes they have a pretty good chance of stunning you and getting a KO

dreamfall

After getting to the Black belt level online, I just stopped playing Ranked. I'm playing Unranked, and having a great time trying to beat some of those 100 level Career guys. It also has allowed me to take a ton of chances, experimenting with fighters, with other human opponents.

I had a grueling Forest Griffin attempt against a great Anderson Silva- I wish they 'd allow you to upload highlights from all types of matches, not just ranked gigs. Some incredible, high level ground game taking place!

I'm still massively on the fence with this one. Some aspects I enjoy but it feels so linear and non-fluid in others. I expect a sequel will improve things. There's a solid framework here but I expect it had a pretty short dev cycle.

LAM09

I am really enjoying this game online for the most part, but it seems the higher you go up, the more you encounter the same players. Everyone seems to start using Aldo, Jones, Cain, etc.

Top Bottom