• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC |OT| Bigger than FIFA

ron_bato

I noticed the fighters don't slide around as much either...nice tweaks but EA UFC 2 has some serious work ahead of it.

They sure do, and I am at least glad that the EA Sports UFC Dev (who posts on the EA Sports forums and Operation Sports) is pretty transparent and open to fan feedback in spite of the hate the game has gotten. The patch is an indication that they are listening to the community at least. Have yet to try the game online post-patch, but the game is playing much better now due to the tweaks in the stamina system (number of significant strikes per 3 round fights much more realistic now for example), i just want the CPU AI agressiveness altered as well as their tendencies when in full guard to try to get up more instead of trying to sweep spam because it leads to easy knockouts by the user against the CPU.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They sure do, and I am at least glad that the EA Sports UFC Dev (who posts on the EA Sports forums and Operation Sports) is pretty transparent and open to fan feedback in spite of the hate the game has gotten. The patch is an indication that they are listening to the community at least. Have yet to try the game online post-patch, but the game is playing much better now due to the tweaks in the stamina system (number of significant strikes per 3 round fights much more realistic now for example), i just want the CPU AI agressiveness altered as well as their tendencies when in full guard to try to get up more instead of trying to sweep spam because it leads to easy knockouts by the user against the CPU.
Does any sports game have this level of a game-changing patch these days anymore?

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
How big is the patch for the Xbox one version? I've noticed my Xbox one is downloading it but it seems to be taking ages.

Afrikan

I guess people are so used to quickly quitting that they forget they are in the unranked matches and quickly quit when they get KO'd... shit is hilarious.

krpiper

I wasnt a huge fan of the demo, but I like the UFC, is this the patch that makes it "worth playing", despite the middling buzz around it.

I am on PS4 btw

Afrikan

I wasnt a huge fan of the demo, but I like the UFC, is this the patch that makes it "worth playing", despite the middling buzz around it.

I am on PS4 btw

it's a UFC game... graphics are great, it has most of the fighters, it has Women fighters, it has a single player mode.....and its not like this is their 5th game in a row where there are no improvements...

if you didn't like the demo....I think if anything, you would still get you're money's worth with what's there for now.

I thought I read it's $39.99 somewhere...so that might make the sting feel less painful.

I'm personally enjoying the game....I hate that we have to wait more than a year to get the next version...but I do like how they are willing to switch up the gameplay with patches.

zsswimmer

Yeah if youre a UFC fan and/or an MMA fan this is a great game. Hell I liked the demo, I think a lot of people were put off by the controls though. The patch improved quite a lot, and I like the fact that you can touch gloves now :D

zsswimmer

Played as Overeem for the first time online, man is he garbage. He skills suck and he moves like hes fighting through jello or something. I guess I'll just stick with Cormier or JDS for HW.

VoxPop

Played as Overeem for the first time online, man is he garbage. He skills suck and he moves like hes fighting through jello or something. I guess I'll just stick with Cormier or JDS for HW.

Yes its way too realistic. I was hoping for Dream/Strikeforce version of Reem.

Avoid fighters with short arms, makes it very hard to parry and land a punch after

Roy Nelson FTL

zsswimmer

Yes its way too realistic. I was hoping for Dream/Strikeforce version of Reem.

Well I could understand being real slow at a tradeoff for having huge power, but his striking isn't all that great either.

My favorite fighter to use so far is Robbie Lawler though, I've gotten some brutal knockouts using him.

What about yall?

Avoid fighters with short arms, makes it very hard to parry and land a punch after

Roy Nelson FTL
That was pissing me off too lol, I was fighting Travis Browne and even though I was parrying I was missing and still getting tagged :(

Spy

I woud like some sort of an advanced parry system option. As it is right now, it's way too easy to parry a strike.

ron_bato

Part of the patch spoilers revealed that we would be able to catch kicks now, also the ground game has been tuned the most according to the dev. Stand-ups from back mount was one of them.

I hope the guys included in this patch are Matt Brown, Anthony Johnson, Josh Barnett.

Then hopefully Eddie Alvarez somewhere down the line, and Denis Bermudez too.

edit: here are the options for when you catch a kick

You will have two options when catching a kick:

1. Release the leg and counter with a strike
2. Trip your opponent/take your opponent down (which option is available depends on if the kick caught was a front kick, head kick or body kick. I don't remember off the top of my head which is which)

Loomba

I gotta say I am surprised with the amount of support they are giving this. Really good. Seems they are learning a lot about their mistakes and trying to correct them.

I just hope that it sold enough to get a sequel.

N° 2048

Is there any training mini games in the career mode? They were a massive turn off for me in UFC undisputed 2.

There are, before fights you can do three training mini games. You don't have to but you really need the points to stat up your career fighter.

The mini games consist of 10-14 moves you have to do and then you're graded a belt. The higher the belt the more points you get to level up your fighter or buy moves.

ron_bato

Patch 1.03 is up (for Xbox One)!

MATT BROWN is in! Along with Mike Pyle and Stipe Miocic! Hoping for Dennis Bermudez,Dos Anjos, Eddie Alvarez, Barnett and Anthony Johnson soon!

New and Updated Content
- Addition of 3 new fighters. 2 in Welterweight: Matt Brown, Mike Pyle and 1 at Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic
- Updates to fighter records
- Gameplay – Added Referee TKO stoppage if dominant fighter throws too many blocked strikes without the submissive fighter trying to improve his position
- Gameplay – Added the ability to catch kicks on parries if the attacking fighter has low stamina or high leg damage when throwing a kick. If Parry button is held, a takedown will be initiated.
- Gameplay – Added new defensive standup transitions from Full Guard. Moved Sweep to Advanced Transition
- Gameplay – Added Back Mount escape for submissive fighter
- Gameplay – Added manual taunts. Press Left or Right Directional buttons to taunt
- Gameplay – Successful Basic Single Leg Takedowns will now end in Half Guard
- Online – Added Coins to Championships. Watch partner videos from the Home Panel and earn Coins to trade in for Season Points.

Gameplay
- Fixed issue where dominant fighter could stall transitions
- Fixed an exploit where fighters could sneak in a free hammer fist during Posture up and down animations
- Fixed exploit in Side Control where users could land a free shot after transitioning to Side Control.
- Fixed an issue with Cage Clinch Break denial inputs.
- Tuning – Increased base punch speed of all weight classes
- Tuning – AI tuned to be less aggressive. AI is more aware of stamina and fight pacing.
- Tuning – Duration and probability of Health Events has been tuned
- Tuning – Stamina loss on strikes landed has been adjusted
- Tuning – Tuned denial windows for various ground transitions, getups and submission attempts
- Tuning – Animation speeds adjusted for strikes that were being abused Online
- Added delay on submission attempts after a failed submission.
- Submissions cannot be attempted when attacker has minimal Stamina
- Fighters can change stances while blocking
- Adjusted Antônio Rogério Nogueira’s and Robbie Lawler’s Hand Power and Speed attributes

Career
- Fixed issue where Crucifix was unavailable in career. Will now be available on new Career save files after purchasing transition.

- Allow users to view Fighter Stats and Abilities in Online Championships Fighter Select Screen
- Disabled Online Pause in all Online modes. User can still access the Pause menu, however it does not pause gameplay.
- Tuned White Belt promotion and division belt thresholds.

Miscellaneous
Fixed an issue with incorrect video for ‘GSP Switch Kick’ move.
- Fixed a crash when adjusting Walk out music
- Fixed an issue with Mat damage
- Changed Antônio Rogério Nogueira’s stance to southpaw
- Various replay fixes

Loomba

dat patch. woah.

I hope it's out on PS4 when I get home from work.

EDIT:

This is from the gameplay developer on the offical forums.

GameplayDevUFC said:
To catch a kick, you need to successfully parry a kick to the head or body when your opponent has low stamina or low leg health, where low for stamina is roughly 50%, and low for leg health is roughly 25%. I don't have the exact numbers with me as I'm at home, but that's the right ballpark.

Once you've caught the leg, to take your opponent down, keep holding the parry face button.

To let go of the leg, let go of the parry face button as soon as you see the catch kick animation start.

If you counter punch after letting go of the leg, you get the same counter punch bonus you get after a parry.

Fitts

The roster additions come with the patch, then? They're not paid-for DLC? I have to hand it to the devs, the amount of post-launch support they're providing is fantastic!

DagsJT

Enjoyed the demo but read a lot of bad comments regarding the full version. However the patches seem to have improved things so took a punt on this last night. Didn't get time to play so looking forward to tonight.

Edit: Well after a good few hours, I'm really disappointed. The CPU still spams attacks like stamina ain't a thing, certainly throwing a hell of a lot more than me but doesn't lose stamina while I lose it after each normal punch. There's no way a fighter could throw like the CPU and not gas in real life.

What a mess.

ron_bato

Enjoyed the demo but read a lot of bad comments regarding the full version. However the patches seem to have improved things so took a punt on this last night. Didn't get time to play so looking forward to tonight.

Edit: Well after a good few hours, I'm really disappointed. The CPU still spams attacks like stamina ain't a thing, certainly throwing a hell of a lot more than me but doesn't lose stamina while I lose it after each normal punch. There's no way a fighter could throw like the CPU and not gas in real life.

What a mess.

Are you sure you have the patch? Because the stamina issues and the CPU spam issues have been much improved for me.

Check out this fight I had against Pettis on Pro difficuty (who used to cartwheel and spinning stuff his way against me all the time pre-patch). He land a total of 101 strikes, a total of 24 sig strikes, and check the fatigue, the meter is near a third of the stamina bar.

BwMv2e9CEAAn7is.jpg:large

Now my question is, how the hell did I lose this fight (I'm Cerrone)? lol

Yaari

Are you sure you have the patch? Because the stamina issues and the CPU spam issues have been much improved for me.

Check out this fight I had against Pettis on Pro difficuty (who used to cartwheel and spinning stuff his way against me all the time pre-patch). He land a total of 101 strikes, a total of 24 sig strikes, and check the fatigue, the meter is near a third of the stamina bar.

Probably the ground passes, those do count quite alot. That said, decisions are definitely questionable at times.

Loomba

It has robberies in now as well? most real MMA game confirmed

I got a PS4 2 days ago and picked this up(along with The Last of Us Remastered) It has it's flaws for sure, but it's a damn fun game overall. It's good to see EA putting out post game patches to make the game better. The free fighters they've added are a nice touch too.

ron_bato

The next patch should be releasing around end of september based on forum posts by gameplay devs, first patch spoiler seems to indicate something about countering kicks. It's been hinted that it could be countering a kick with a takedown (not the same as catching a kick first then taking them down which was implemented in patch 2).

I hope that we get Rumble in this patch, and I hope they make Gegard Mousasi playable as Middleweight and Brad Pickett as a flyweight.

N° 2048

Just want to say that these devs really stepped up with these patches. Game is far from perfect but at least they are fixing it as much as they can before saying "Buy UFC 2."

The next patch is supposed to include a finish the fight feature, which is my number 1 remaining complaint with the game, so this is gonna be awesome. Taken from reddit:

When your opponent is wobbled, you can now rush him down with a flurry of punches.

The high speed pursuit locomotion and striking is all contextual, and only available if:
you have enough stamina
your opponent is wobbled
you are pressing the left stick towards your opponent

ron_bato

The next patch is supposed to include a finish the fight feature, which is my number 1 remaining complaint with the game, so this is gonna be awesome. Taken from reddit:

When your opponent is wobbled, you can now rush him down with a flurry of punches.

The high speed pursuit locomotion and striking is all contextual, and only available if:
you have enough stamina
your opponent is wobbled
you are pressing the left stick towards your opponent

Yeah that's pretty cool, especially since it's been tougher to finish guys once you get them in a rocked state now (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

The big thing they added this patch though was a complete retuning of the combo system.

Here's a link to the post by one of the gameplay devs:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10187841.page

Essentially:

Summary

We have completely revamped the striking combo system in EA Sports UFC. The new system will provide the following:

faster strike combos at the high end

slower strike combos at the low end

a combo system that is driven by stamina

a combo system that is much more skill and timing based

a combo system that rewards realistic combos and punishes unrealistic combos

Next patch sounds good. Hope they add new fighters. Would love Anthony Johnson, Hector Lombard, and Edson Barboza to be added. Something I would like is you take huge damage if you keep spamming the same move over and over. I played someone that picked Ronda of course and constantly spammed leg kicks and front kicks to the face. That was their whole offfense, other than the occasional takedown.

If anyone is down for some fights add me. I'm always looking for people to play against. PSN name is jukeboxtimebomb

ron_bato

Next patch sounds good. Hope they add new fighters. Would love Anthony Johnson, Hector Lombard, and Edson Barboza to be added.

With Johnson being suspended from his alleged domestic violence case, I'm guessing he might not be in yet (but I'm hoping he is in the next patch). But yeah, my hopes for the next patch are Anthony Johnson, Bermudez, and Eddie Alvarez (although the UFC just recently signed Eddie so I understand that that could take a while).

Some other notable guys missing are Barnett, Kennedy, Dos Anjos, Barboza and Lombard (like you stated), and I'd hope for Brad Pickett and Gegard Mousasi being playable in their new weight divisions.

All these patches are great and it's pretty awesome to see them ask for player feedback and patch the game accordingly.

PartyChan

As mentioned, we'll see if Anthony Johnson stays in. This was found through the EA UFC forum. The patch notes were accidentally posted on EA's site, but now taken down. The patch has yet to be released.

New and Updated Content
Addition of 3 new fighters. 1 in Welterweight: Gunnar Nelson, 1 in Middleweight: Tim Kennedy and 1 at Light Heavyweight: Anthony Johnson
Added Nick Diaz to Middleweight Division
Updates to fighter records
Gameplay
Finish the Fight 2.0 – Rush down the opponent with a flurry of punches when they are wobbled.
Added Guillotine Takedown Reversals. To initiate, deny a takedown with the R1/Rb button and Right Stick Down. Must be done with a fighter who has Guillotine in Full Guard.
Added more variety to Takedowns based on denial and input times. Perfect takedowns will end in Half Guard and late denials or inputs will end in Full Guard.
Added new Submissive Side Control transition to Side Back Mount

Gameplay
Added animations for fatigued kicks during Health Events or low stamina
Slips – Back slips procedurally hold longer to avoid strikes, side slips have improved evasive properties
Strikes will now interrupt kicks if landed early in the kick animation
Increased stamina tax on slips and lunges
Adjusted movesets of a few fighters
Fixed transition denial inputs for certain clinch positions.
Fixed issue with clinch steering
Fixed an issue with fighters freezing on the ground
Fixed an issue with fighters clipping through the cage
Tuning –
Tuned priority logic on the ground and in the clinch
Tuned Strike combo branching
Clinch transition timings have been tuned
Takedown denial timings have been tuned
Parry timing has been tuned.
Referee stand up time has been tuned for more dominant positions
Judge logic tuned
Stamina has been tuned.

Fixed an issue with offline save data triggering Championship presentation online

Miscellaneous
Fix unsupported characters for Russian in Origin Flow

ron_bato

As mentioned, we'll see if Anthony Johnson stays in. This was accidentally posted on EA's site and now taken down.

snip

I hope he stays in. Gustafsson is my favorite fighter, however LHW gets the least play time from me due to the lack of interesting opponents (not counting FLW and WBW which I do not touch due to lack of diversity in the weight classes).

I actually like the addition of Nelson in WW, and adding Kennedy in the MW division makes sense.

All the gameplay fixes and tuning look really good too. I welcome the guillotine takedown reversal. That's a neat thing to include, especially useful against takedown spammers.

Some other things i like are the tuning of parries, as well as the clinch and grappling priority logic (as transitioning sometimes feels off and random in both positions). Excited for the patch and if past releases are anything to go by, we'll probably get this on Tuesday.

Afrikan

Added Guillotine Takedown Reversals. To initiate, deny a takedown with the R1/Rb button and Right Stick Down. Must be done with a fighter who has Guillotine in Full Guard.

I want to say, about fucking time.... but is this what I think it is? similar to the UFC Undisputed series?

I hate folks who spam take downs...so anything that can help, i'm all for.

with all these improvements and additions, since launch...I almost wonder if they should've delayed the game. I mean I know some of the improvements was because of player feed back, but I don't think I've seen a game get this many and these types of additions to gameplay....post launch.

it's almost like we have a PC game on our hands, and they are modding it.

PartyChan

The new patch is up.

initial thoughts, stand-up tends to sway toward a more arcadey feel with the new combo system, but to me that is OK. It was starting to get too sim heavy with just waiting for counter shots between the cpu and my only friend i play against, which lead to much slower paced fights.

since punches are more fluid and in abundance, the animations do kinda seem janky with most interrupted strikes, however, there is joy in landing a shitload of strikes when you have someone rocked or just about down for the count.

i consider myself a little more than casual player, but not quite hardcore. so those are my 2 cents.

Just played an online game right now with the new patch. One of the things they said they tuned is "judge logic." That needs more tweaking I think.

I lost my match, not a big deal but 2 judges scored it 30-26 in his favor.

My total strikes attempted/landed were 120/224 35/63 significant strikes
his were 114/358 and 41/103
He was 4/5 on takedowns and I was only 1/6 but he did almost nothing with it and I was able to get back up quickly each time. I don't care so much that I lost but 30-26? Really? There was nothing he did to me to warrant a 10-8 round.

Top Bottom