• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA unconcerned about releasing Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 this autumn

AHA-Lambda

During an investor call this prompted a question about "cannibalisation" - odd thing to bring up at a time like that - and "mistiming". EA big cheese Andrew Wilson responded.

He believes the "giant" category the games belong to is big enough, with an audience diverse enough, that it will support the two games at once. The games both scratch different itches, he said.

"There is a very broad and diverse set of players who play games in that category who are looking for - to fulfil different game play motivations," he said, transcript via Seeking Alpha.

"Some people play very quick play, some people more strategic play, and some people want both in different context. The result [is] we feel like we actually have a really strong position to deliver the broadest set of gameplay mechanics as it relates to first-person shooter genre across the two titles, and feel very confident that we are well-positioned to do very well in that category [this] year."

What do you guys think? I don't think this is a good move for Titanfall 2 personally.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-titanfall-2-and-battlefield-1-this-autumn

Lock if old.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Agree with you OP, between CoD, BF1, and even Gears 4 I think Titanfall 2 should be delayed a bit. EA probably has people that are smarter than me at this sort of stuff tho.

Titanfall scoops up the future warfare lovers, Battlefield the boots on the ground guys.

Only problem is those who like both and have limited time/budget.

The problem really is that there is also COD and Gears releasing in the same timeframe. There is going to be a bloodbath for everyone.

Xater

I think it's a bad move. Not only are they putting it out next to their own game as competition but also next to some other big time shooters. There is only so much time players have with all of those being also heavily into multiplayer.

I can't help but feel they positioned both so close to each other as a failsafe for the alternate universe where the Infinite Warfare trailer was the most liked video in YouTube history and the BF1 the most disliked.

EGM1966

Not sure I'd be that confident. Despite setting both are primarily online shooters and that market I believe tends to invest ne big thing at a time. Also with T2 debuting on PS platform this seems another hurdle on top of normal issue of coming late to a platform curtailing interest.

But who knows. Myself I'd move 'em further part.

Then you buy one and get the other one cheaper down the line, when you have more time and money

Win win

I cant decide between them Ive also already gotten into 2 heavy MP games this gen. Not sure how much more i can take. Later ill already have other games coming up, ff15 should be around the same time and NiOh if that doesn't get delayed. Too many games in general for me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm getting both, really looking forward to both campaigns actually, this is Respawn's first since MW2 which is something to be excited about IMO. Whilst I think it will do fine, I still think they should move TF2 to February or March though, they could own that release window for years to come.

Coffinhal

Yes that's a good move. Better cannibalizing yourself than getting eaten alive by the competitor. Different setting, different kind of gameplay, 1 month between the games.

And if they made that kind of statement that means they have the surveys and data that can back it up.

GodofWine

They want to kill COD, they are pushing all troops in. If they can convince enough gamers that COD is stale, and Activision already has 2 more CODs in the pipeline, using the same engine and gameplay, they will be in panic mode

Peltz

I have no interest in Battlefield but am excited to check out Titanfall 2... so I think EA is probably correct that they scratch different itches.

They want to kill COD, they are pushing all troops in. If they can convince enough gamers that COD is stale, and Activision already has 2 more CODs in the pipeline, using the same engine and gameplay, they will be in panic mode

Eh... I don't think that they want to kill COD off... they just want to steal its market share.

Staf

Not the right thread to ask this but.. Do we know if Titanfall 2 will have a singleplayer campaign? *fingers crossed*

SMattera

The market for competitive online shooters is huge. It represented three of the top 10 best-selling games last year, and two of the top 5.

IvanJ

Banned
I think it's a good move. Give people two choices, similar but different enough.

That reminds me back when you had Popeye's chicken on one side of the road, and Church's exactly opposite...and both owned by the same company.

Lucreto

It should of been Battlefield and Mass Effect Andromeda this year and Titanfall 2 next year.

With COD, Battlefield and now Titanfall there are already too many FPS out this Winter.

brawly

post-25374-Michael-Jordan-YEAH-gif-wyUJ.gif

Don't do it.

Chabbles

They must be really trying to annihilate COD this year, EA want the futuristic shooter covered aswell as the oldschool shooter style.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
With COD, Battlefield and now Titanfall there are already too many FPS out this Winter.

I don't think it's that big a problem, I mean we had Halo, Battlefront and CoD last year.

Chris1

Well he's not wrong. Battlefield and CoD/Titanfall are two very different shooters appealing to two very different audiences for the most part.

But I still don't think it's a good idea, push Battlefield into 2017 or release Titanfall in September if possible.

Angel_DvA

But my wallet is, with Gears of War 4, MW4R if I can grab it without CODIW and other games coming out soon, I'll have to make choices because i'm not rich enough to have everything...

I am on the "they should have let titanfall catch spring 2017" camp.
BF1 will be unique among the other shooters in fall, but Titanfall, CoD IW and Gears looks a little bit like a crowd there.
Maybe EA Access earns them enough to afford to lose some sales in order to market Titanfall 2 as a big Q4 shooter.

Markitron

What are the other AAA shooters this fall and winter?

CoD, BF1, TF2 and Gears 4 maybe? Can't think of anything else, I hope I don't have to add Resident Evil 7 to that list.

This kind of wishful thinking is sad (an help killed a good few studios last gen).

COD will come out, sell a fuckton just like every other year.

Top Bottom