• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound USA - Documentary Teaser Trailer

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Earthbound USA: A feature-length documentary coming November 27th, 2023, presented by Fangamer.

This documentary has been in the works for somewhere around 10 years. I’ve personally seen a few chunks of it over that time, and it’s incredibly interesting if you’re a Mother fan, or just like gaming history stories. I’m not personally affiliated in any way with this doc, but a friend of mine is the one writing and directing it, and I thought GAF might enjoy the trailer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Earthbound is probably my favorite game of all time - the trailer saying that it's a shining example of a company frustrating their fans to the point that they take action, damn. So true.

I'll definitely give this a watch when it comes out.

Dynasty8

Still blows my mind how Nintendo just neglected this gold mine. Mother 3 never released anywhere outside of Japan.

All that was needed was a simple text translation, no voices.

don't leave home without it:

M3HB_Jacket.jpg

DeathGuise

You cant just drop some statement like that without backing it up for us plebs that never played the game. Come on son.
Well for example... there are characters in the game called the Magypsies and they're... fabulous, for lack of a better term. They're considered secondary protagonists so one would think at a glance there'd be no issue but they do some things that are absolutely reprehensible by western standards, such as playfully molest the main character. They're not presented as overtly good or bad, and with such a western flaw laid bare, it would be burned at the stake as homophobic/transphobic.

I do want to point out that despite Nintendo's notoriety of tearing into unauthorized projects, they have never once gone after the fan translation of Mother 3. They refuse to comment on it when asked. I believe that the fan translation is Nintendo's answer to the cries for Mother 3, because 1) The fan translation is good. I mean beyond professional quality good, and 2) I truly believe Nintendo just could not release it in the west given how volatile the political climate is.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Still blows my mind how Nintendo just neglected this gold mine.
An English version of Mother 3 would sell less copies than what people joke about SquareEnix games’ sales on Xbox.

The game is extremely niche.
Whoever really wanted to play it in English has been able to do so for about 15 years, and have surely played it by now.
And, even if there wasn’t any sensitive content in the game, people would nitpick to hell and back about Nintendo’s official translation vs the fan translation, probably giving the official version some bad press.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Looks really nice. Played Earthbound for the first time last year and it's a shame that the first few hours kinda blow and are probably a huge turn off to people, as soon as you get Paula it's way better. Even still, I've never played anything quite like it before, so completely unique and bizzare. No wonder it has such a diehard fanbase.

Definitely playing the Mother3 fan translation at some point.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I want to see mother3 get the super mario rpg remake treatment and released globally.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I actually had this game with the guide and my idiotic siblings lent it out, even though I lent it to THEM. Cunts.
Never saw it again and it's like a fucking 1000 dollar combo, used!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I have never heard of this game. Is it actually good enough to visit now, or more of a nostalgia thing?
I was playing EB before dropping it for Zelda in May.

Everything that isn’t about properly playing the game is ridiculously charming, as it is in EB Beginnings.
Unfortunately, these two games feel like deliberate parodies of the JRPG genre, so every little thing is exquisitely crafted to be as grindy and obnoxious as can be. Inventory and money management takes so many steps you want to scream every time. Status ailments are a pain in the ass. The RNG is blatantly slanted in favor of the enemies. The grind is pretty much necessary.

And then you have some egregious stuff like the teleportation system in EBB, or the way you access a certain cave in EB.

I have absolutely no qualms about abusing savestates in these games. The lack of QoL features, considering the time of release of EBB and EB, has to be intentional. It’s one of those situations where the gameplay in itself is completely superfluous, but the story and the scenario really can’t be explained and you have to play if you want to know what the fuss is all about.

Top Bottom