• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

Gbraga

I'll definitely check the reviews. I'm not invested in the crow eating fest, and having low-ish scores wouldn't turn me off from playing it, but if it's consistently like 0~4, then yeah, no way I'm keeping a pre-order.

Sagely

Cp17YOpWgAI4MSp.jpg

Edge preview and the elections got me like.. thanks for the hug Obama.
LOL this is perfect, I was feeling like that yesterday haha. So sensitive :'( But more about the stress levels in this thread than the details of the preview itself. The previewer confirmed that he enjoyed the game and had an overall positive experience.

I admit it was a shock initially to hear the criticisms when the other previews had been so favourable, but I'd rather be aware of this stuff. It also brought me back down to earth and made me remember that the FF series has often had divisive, less-than-perfect entries, and remains one of my all-time favourite series anyway.

Raven77

Yeah I don't understand the linearity complaints. I remember playing FF X when it came out and thinking how unbelievably linear the whole thing felt. Yet, people love it it seems.

elohel

Yeah I don't understand the linearity complaints. I remember playing FF X when it came out and thinking how unbelievably linear the whole thing felt. Yet, people love it it seems.

I mean I barely played either and 13 felt like a corridor it was so linear I think that's what people meant

Well I guess it is good that I read the quote
I hate Horror games... The only way to get past this is to become unbelievable OP hopefully being able to breeze through

MilkBeard

Holy shit this sounds like a nightmare. My 80 year old grandma has played every single one of the games in this series outside of the MMOs, stealthing around is probably not in her wheelhouse. This game is nothing like its predecessors in anything other than names and it will be jarring to fans of the series looking for more of the same. For people who like the other games this one is now aping I am sure this will be a hoot.

Lol love your evidence to support your claim.

Toth

I may be just being silly but none of that sounded very bad to me. 80% sounded very good, 10% sounded good and 10% sounded meh.

Yeah those 'choice' quotes in the OP really colored people's perceptions and condemned it without reading it.

edit: My self included.

Cp17YOpWgAI4MSp.jpg

Edge preview and the elections got me like.. thanks for the hug Obama.

Beautiful :-(

Of course, w/ the now very real threat that some time after inauguration Japan will be removed from under the US's nuclear umbrella, this may be one of the last big JRPGs ever
omg, I wish that felt more like hyperbole to write than it actually did

Absolutely horrible if that's the case.

Didn't you love XIII and constantly remind us that linearity wasn't an issue with that game and you defended linear structures of FF games for years?

What if it goes "linear" for...say...a story reason. Is that okay or is that still unacceptable to you?

Neiteio

Beautiful :-(

Of course, w/ the now very real threat that some time after inauguration Japan will be removed from under the US's nuclear umbrella, this may be one of the last big JRPGs ever
omg, I wish that felt more like hyperbole to write than it actually did
Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of this

Skulldead

Any more info on this "preview" of edge. Did he really got the full game ? Still missing some section ? Did he really beat the final boss ? Or everything is still confuse ?

Since I started playing Final Fantasy on NES Classic, I was wondering if this game only circles around those 4 characters from beginning to end?
What happened to the mages? casters?
I did play the demo on xbone, really enjoyed it but I'm not 100% sold on this game yet. Although I will admit the music alone almost has me sold.

Since I started playing Final Fantasy on NES Classic, I was wondering if this game only circles around those 4 characters from beginning to end?
What happened to the mages? casters?
I did play the demo on xbone, really enjoyed it but I'm not 100% sold on this game yet. Although I will admit the music alone almost has me sold.
One of them wears glasses so I think he might be a master of the arcane arts.

Falk

that puzzling face
Better to think of it as something like FFVI/FFVIII where class roles aren't nearly as defined as the job FFs like III/V

I mean, the game has magic and summons, just not a specific class for them.

watch there be wizard hat Noctis DLC

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm going on media blackout when the reviews drop. I know from past experience I can sometimes be too conscientious of what critics think as I head into games and let it partly shape my own take if I'm not careful. I guess I'll avoid both NeoGAF and GameFAQs like the plague of stars at that point.

KupoNut

I would be so mad if the first openworld half is really good but the second linear half sucks and it ends up with low reviews because of it. I'm really enjoying the demo and think it's an amazing and fun starting point for people new to the series, and previews seems to like the open world gameplay too, but final verdict is about the full game and I'm really getting worried about that now.

I hope reviewers have some mercy and appreciate what Square has built even if the second half turns out bad. Square's huge pre-order push and restricting most previews to the first few chapters seems to suggest as much.

I would be so mad if the first openworld half is really good but the second linear half sucks and it ends up with low reviews because of it. I'm really enjoying the demo and think it's an amazing and fun starting point for people new to the series, and previews seems to like the open world gameplay too, but final verdict is about the full game and I'm really getting worried about that now.

I hope reviewers have some mercy and appreciate what Square has built even if the second half turns out bad. Square's huge pre-order push and restricting most previews to the first few chapters seems to suggest as much.
Unless Tabata manages to fuck up the second half in a worse way than FFXIII did with its linearity, I don't think this will be the case.

What's with the term 'linear' attached to negative reviews.

XV's official twitter feed really rubbed me the wrong way throught this whole 'we didn't give them the full game' discussion.
Twitter person chose to ignore the fact that previewer played the game in Japan while he was writing his final hours feature for the EG and acted like 'oh no we didn't give Edge the full game,therefore no one should take his word seriously!'.
The way they threw Edge under the bus just to save face is a new low as far as i'm concerned.

Top Bottom