• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

I must have been extremely good at them then, because nothing else worked as well for me.

I just might have XII's quickenings and VIII's summons burned into my mind.
It's just I mean yea u could use them but I was just upset that the battle would last 20 minutes longer so I never used them

Mcdohl

gY7bJX2.jpg

Is Edge lying again or PC confirmed?

Skulldead

I saw the tweeter feed, look like edge is lying about the fact they have the finish the game. This look like he got a exclusive on a advance preview build for their 300th issue of their magazine... time to relax.... and breath a little...at least for me...

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/796060158212374529

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/796065826021539840

You should have looked through the thread more. We know all those posts. The Edge writer already clarified that he played up to (and maybe including) the final boss.

Sorry I didn't follow every little detail on this thread, everything is really confusing...

Mailbox

I saw the tweeter feed, look like edge is lying about the fact they have the finish the game. This look like he got a exclusive on a advance preview build for their 300th issue of their magazine... time to relax.... and breath a little...at least for me...

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/796060158212374529

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/796065826021539840

You should have looked through the thread more. We know all those posts. The Edge writer already clarified that he played up to (and maybe including) the final boss.

Any indication of how much of the game is open world vs linear? Like did they reach the linear stretch in the 40 hours? I kinda don't want to learn to much about the game but I'm just curious about this.

Gbraga

Any indication of how much of the game is open world vs linear? Like did they reach the linear stretch in the 40 hours? I kinda don't want to learn to much about the game but I'm just curious about this.

Seems like 40 hours was the time it took them to play through the whole thing.

The first half is open world and the second is more linear, with it becoming even more linear at the final stretch.

But that's for the main story, I'm imagining that way more than half of the side content will be in the open world, so most people will spend more than half of their playtime there.

Seems like 40 hours was the time it took them to play through the whole thing.

The first half is open world and the second is more linear, with it becoming even more linear at the final stretch.

But that's for the main story, I'm imagining that way more than half of the side content will be in the open world, so most people will spend more than half of their playtime there.
The strategy guide leak said this regarding the playtime.

40-50 for just stroy, 60-70 for side content, around 100 for everything

The linear second half won't stop us from backtracking to the open world from what we have read, so it is just linear progression while keeping the freedom of choice there.

gY7bJX2.jpg

Is Edge lying again or PC confirmed?

As far as that magazine scan is concerned I imagine it's an error but realistically it's coming to the PC but probably not until 9ish months from now. Typically it's more financially reasonable to space out and not confirm a port to the PC, they know people will buy the console version first and double dip. See: GTA 5

Dark_castle

Yeah, the Xenogears point is apt (although, that's another example of what I was getting at in my larger post -- that linear back "half" is roughly a dozen or so hours versus around fifty on Disc 1) but Final Fantasy VI goes in the opposite direction.

I was actually thinking about it during my bike ride earlier and XV could be the Anti-VI.
The Xenogears comparison is moot when you consider that nobody in the development team of FFXV is capable of writing anything remotely close to the caliber of Xenogears.

benzy

That came from a gamefaq user passing off his guesses as facts and admitted he didn't have a guide but used his "memory and google" to conclude the numbers. :p It isn't the same poster who supposedly has the guide.

The linear second half won't stop us from backtracking to the open world from what we have read, so it is just linear progression while keeping the freedom of choice there.

It's as if people forget that Witcher 3 did this to an extent too and was still an incredible game. But hey, it's FFXV.

Ray Down

Banned
DOOM/Overwatch/Uncharted 4/Battlefield 1/Titanfall 2/Dark Souls 3/The Witness/Hitman/Ratchet and Clank?
Trump winning beats any positives we can get out of gaming.

Sad fucking day, I'm already anxiety ridden guy, this shit makes it worse.

sappyday

DOOM/Overwatch/Uncharted 4/Battlefield 1/Titanfall 2/Dark Souls 3/The Witness/Hitman/Ratchet and Clank?

THe two most important things this for me were Trump not winning and FFXV living up to my ten year hype bro. I've been waiting for this shit for ten years. But I give up! Nothing is good this year

Again. There is probably no possible way that this game will live up to the ten year hype that some people are giving it. Even if it had stayed as Versus XIII there would still be some people saying that it was good but not 10 years of waiting good.

Also, we're comparing Xenogears to this game why? There are people out there who will not ever put XV above that game. We shouldn't even be comparing it to any game. Either play it or don't.

Again. There is probably no possible way that this game will live up to the ten year hype that some people are giving it. Even if it had stayed as Versus XIII there would still be some people saying that it was good but not 10 years of waiting good.

Also, we're comparing Xenogears to this game why? There are people out there who will not ever put XV above that game. We shouldn't even be comparing it to any game. Either play it or don't.

XVGAF is nuts.

Mailbox

I honestly expect the story to be nothing special and for everything else to be at least just fine if not good (maybe even great). But I can definitely see that very small, or non-elaborate errors will be given much more scrutiny in this game for whatever reason. Its a shame, I'll probably like this game just fine.

I wonder what the gaming section of FanExpoVancouver will have this year. in 2013 they had TLOU and last year they had Mortal Kombat X neither of which had released at those times. I wonder if FF15 will be there. If it turns out it is, I will wait in line and play as much as I can for you guys!!!!

If its not, so be it :p

I kinda wanna stay away from spoilers but this thread is pretty funny. Didn't we know about stealth and linearity at the end a long time ago? Did people just forget until this confirmation?

Anyway I'm still on the tracks and will make my own opinion when this comes out.

Mailbox

I kinda wanna stay away from spoilers but this thread is pretty funny. Didn't we know about stealth and linearity at the end a long time ago? Did people just forget until this confirmation?

Anyway I'm still on the tracks and will make my own opinion when this comes out.

We did and we did.

and ditto

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't want to read for spoilers but has been finally made clear what they intend with the game getting "more linear"? Are we talking of progression or level design here?

Perfo

Level design. They used the word "corridors".

I knew it!
Like I said last week I expected the second half of this game to be a rushed mess. Typical of the genre and typical of a 10yrs long dev. cycle... argh! I knew something was fishy went they went showing for 3 yrs the same fucking Duscae over and over! Because that's all they had T_T

That's wrong. The word corridors was only used for the Stealth section supposedly late in the game.

The linear segments refer to having more focus on cutscenes and dungeons without an open world. Read the paragraph again.

The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches geenre, away from the open world desidn of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

To make clear the distinction between the two halves of the game, if you want to return to the open-world area you'll need to travel 'back in time' when at a save point. Once there, you can mop up any unresolved side-missions, until you're ready to return to the present.

I knew it!
Like I said last week I expected the second half of this game to be a rushed mess. Typical of the genre and typical of a 10yrs long dev. cycle... argh! I knew something was fishy went they went showing for 3 yrs the same fucking Duscae over and over! Because that's all they had T_T
Dude, it is anything but corridors. It was mostly referring to the story being progressed in a linear fashion with dungeons and boss. There is a section later that can be consdiered 'corridors' but that is supposedly late in the game.

Also you can go back to the open world at any point you want. So you still have the freedom of choice to go back to open world and do sidequests and optional content or continue ahead with the story, that proceeds in a traditional way.

Perfo

That's wrong. The word corridors was only used for the Stealth section supposedly late in the game.

The linear segments refer to having more focus on cutscenes and dungeons without an open world. Read the paragraph .

Is the first continent the only open world?

Philippo

I don't want to read for spoilers but has been finally made clear what they intend with the game getting "more linear"? Are we talking of progression or level design here?

Both actually.
The "corridors" part seems to be about a specific part of the game, maybe a simple section or a chapter.
Realistically though (going by the facts of what Tabata said and that the article isn't exactly clear), expect smaller areas than Duscae and Leide, with a handful of side-content, and a much more linear progression.

sappyday

All signs point to this being the case, so yes.
Is it? The edge writer doesn't really speak much about the open world part at all. The major stuff he says is that some stuff don't carry over regions but is that really the case for Duscae/Leide/Cleigne?

Does the main story really have 20 hours of content in an open world and then 20 hours of content in a linear setting? It's easier to duplicate more hours in a open world setting

JBwB

Is the first continent the only open world?

Unless the linear sections are utterly massive then no not likely.

The world map is 10 times bigger than the Duscae region (which is about 1/3rd the size of the continent we've seen so far).

Is it? The edge writer doesn't really speak much about the open world part at all. The major stuff he says is that some stuff don't carry over regions but is that really the case for Duscae/Leide/Cleigne?

Does the main story really have 20 hours of content in an open world and then 20 hours of content in a linear setting? It's easier to duplicate more hours in a open world setting
You are taking the lack of open world bit too far. It might have been simply locations without full freedom since if we go by the information that the second half starts after train ride, this likely means no more car, and perhaps no more chocobos. This will severely limited the exploration aspect since the car is crucial in the open world.

I have no idea what will happen in the second half but from the preview
It makes it sound like time shift is the second half so the world won't be the same as in the first half. So we could be talking about the old stuff being there but perhaps destroyed in a major event.

Absolutely horrible if that's the case.
To be clear, it is hard to explain this aspect without spoiling the story but we are not talking about continents here.

Top Bottom