• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Why "increasingly frustrated journalists" need MS to reveal its new Xbox

Hopefully it's something real, and not the usual hubris.

QL8VITa.jpg

What kind of crap is this?

i-Lo

Honestly, MS doesn't care about journalist since it's the potential clients and developers that either have or need to lure. As such, they'll take their time to ensure everything is in order for the unveil. And then, the journalists will sucked up in the torrent of hype and everything will be forgiven and forgotten.

KageMaru

I'm not sure if this is worth a new thread, especially with how many we already have, but I thought it was fitting for the thread how Penny Arcade commented on how much we can talk about the unkown:

It is amazing how long and how energetically we can discuss the unknown. If I were feeling philosophical, and this almost never happens, I would wonder aloud about how fundamentally human that is. The raw energy we dump into the unshaped void. The strange fish that return with us, home.

I spoke to Stannis Torquemada over at Kunchorki about the piece, his piece, that catalyzed the most recent round of palantir gazing. The problem I had with the piece was that later, in what I assume to be the article’s “thorax,” he talks to people who say that the article itself isn’t true. But I learned that it’s vital in his line of work to “salt” (my word, not his) an article like this with caveats and other bugaboos to create the impression of a quantum truth even when you have absolutely trusted sources you believe in, because it’s not really a rumor then. Hence, the dance. He went to “print” with that headline because that’s what he wanted to leave you with. I recognize the importance of this ritual as a writer, if not a reader. That is to say, it is a localized problem.

Comic for article:
i-fLBTJLZ-950x10000.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/08

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't think any rational person here has completely written the console off. Everyone here is going off of reliable rumors, again, reliable, which makes all the difference. Most are extremely negative here, but would easily change their tune if Microsoft comes out and says all the bad shit we've heard are false.

Use your best judgement. If you want to completely dismiss rumors that have come from very reliable sources in the past, that is certainly your prerogative.

Or how about a give and take? Not everything will be positive. Remember this is supposed to be a transitional generation between brick and mortar and digital distribution. We knew this prior to the announcements but then when there's a little change its "omg we want everything to remain the same" - there will be big benefits and a few hindrances, but in the end, it will be the best for everyone who has a hand in the industry.

People are getting little pieces of information but never the complete, clear picture. That's what the main issue is.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think any rational person here has completely written the console off. Everyone here is going off of reliable rumors, again, reliable, which makes all the difference. Most are extremely negative here, but would easily change their tune if Microsoft comes out and says all the bad shit we've heard are false.

Use your best judgement. If you want to completely dismiss rumors that have come from very reliable sources in the past, that is certainly your prerogative.

I'm not dismissing anything. The rumours are probably true.

All I'm saying is that without context and details it all means very little.

And those were rumors until confirmed. Even if the rumors are 100% accurate, they are not accurate until confirmed. So I don't see why there is such a rush to base what you are going to do on an unconfirmed rumor. They very well could be 100% accurate, but we do not know, so it is best to reserve judgment. Then again this is Neogaf, so I wouldn't expect anything less out of some posters.

this is some ninja level denial. if the rumors are accurate... they aren't accurate? it's like rumors are a brand new concept to some people. you sound like those people who say evolution is 'just' a theory.

consider the sources. consider their accuracy. then understand 'it's just a rumor' doesn't apply equally to all rumors.

people are under NDAs. they can't talk on the record. trusted sources are talking off the record and journalists that have built integrity on being accurate when reporting on rumors are risking that integrity by reporting on these rumors, because obviously they are confident that they are true.

it's best you start accepting where we're heading now. there is no reason for Microsoft to talk around the system having an always online requirement if it doesn't. everything lines up.

but whatevs man. they're all just rumors... and whether they come from trusted sources or whether a random poster on a forum just made them all, they're all inaccurate until Microsoft makes a public press release on each and every one.

riiiiiiiiiight.

What horrible questions to ask though. He's basically asking "can I get you and your company in major legal trouble so that I can run a story?".

And if one of them slipped up and didn't word themselves perfectly, there's no doubt in my mind that he would not hesitate to ruin their lives in order to have his scoop.

I'm not dismissing anything. The rumours are probably true.

All I'm saying is that without context and details it all means very little.

What details and context do you need around requiring an online connect at all times and a 3 minute timer that checks if you are online?

No amount of details and context (spin) will make those rumors sound good if they are true.

Everyone who likes MS is derided on GAF, think it's just hyperbole? Ask yourself, why doesn't che chou post as much as he used to, or Dennis Dyack, or cliffyb, or pretty much any other person related to ms?

yeah i've been noticing that - it's like you'll get group on quick time with anything MS related as of lately.

watership

I actually like Gies' writing, along with his willingness to openly call out sexism, homophobia, and questionable racial politics in gaming (even if he has white-knighted for some dubious causes, as in the case of the Mojang debacle), but he's doing a fantastic job of destroying his own credibility.

If you read twitter maybe, and I'm sure the people who read his twitter the most are his detractors. Shrug. Dislike the man, love the work. If he wrote an editorial on Polygon like that, I'm sure he'd be professionally mauled, but I'm pretty sure he's mostly reviews.

Godslay

Banned
this is some ninja level denial. if the rumors are accurate... they aren't accurate? it's like rumors are a brand new concept to some people. you sound like those people who say evolution is 'just' a theory.

consider the sources. consider their accuracy. then understand 'it's just a rumor' doesn't apply equally to all rumors.

people are under NDAs. they can't talk on the record. trusted sources are talking off the record and journalists that have built integrity on being accurate when reporting on rumors are risking that integrity by reporting on these rumors, because obviously they are confident that they are true.

it's best you start accepting where we're heading now. there is no reason for Microsoft to talk around the system having an always online requirement if it doesn't. everything lines up.

but whatevs man. they're all just rumors... and whether they come from trusted sources or whether a random poster on a forum just made them all, they're all inaccurate until Microsoft makes a public press release on each and every one.

riiiiiiiiiight.

All a game of 'ifs' at this point. I'm not confirming or deny that the rumors are true or false. Nor do I care. I'm just saying wait for confirmation before jumping off the cliff. We've had rumors from journos with integrity, that ultimately proved false. Nothing is true until confirmed, and fuck you for trying to lump me in with evolution deniers.

What horrible questions to ask though. He's basically asking "can I get you and your company in major legal trouble so that I can run a story?".

And if one of them slipped up and didn't word themselves perfectly, there's no doubt in my mind that he would not hesitate to ruin their lives in order to have his scoop.

Don't sign an NDA and then talk to the media if you aren't prepared...

The interviewer needs to atleast try to get something for giving you publicity.

electro

Banned
Wow. He just really has become a dick. Sad too because the few interactions I ever had on gaf he was a good guy. Weird how someone can be a dick double down and then even double down yet again.

Is Arthur Gies part of the marketing team for Microsoft - he's giving off the distinct impression that he is secretly a propaganda mouthpiece for Xbox.

Wow. He just really has become a dick. Sad too because the few interactions I ever had on gaf he was a good guy. Weird how someone can be a dick double down and then even double down yet again.

I suspect most of his gaf interactions to have been to promote him and the site he works for.

DopeyFish

What details and context do you need around requiring an online connect at all times and a 3 minute timer that checks if you are online?

No amount of details and context (spin) will make those rumors sound good if they are true.

3 minute timer from cold boot when the system hasn't been online in a week (either on or low power connected state), or 3 minutes until the shutdown when the week long off-line lease expires

There, rumor now in doubt.

Mascot

Their silence indicates to me that they think they're holding a winning hand. And that they believe the media impact of a full reveal of the machine and its associated capabilities will be more effective than Sony's carefully measured information release.

I'm not so sure. There are huge parallels here with how the pre-launch of Forza 4 was handled, and how the questions about weather and night racing were deflected with smug smiles and nods and winks. Rumours were left to fester.

And we all know how that turn out, right?

3 minute timer from cold boot when the system hasn't been online in a week (either on or low power connected state), or 3 minutes until the shutdown when the week long off-line lease expires

There, rumor now in doubt.

Ugh, those scenarios only put the 3 minute timer in doubt when you assume that the first rumor, the online required at all times, is false...

I asked when both rumors are true.

All a game of 'ifs' at this point. I'm not confirming or deny that the rumors are true or false. Nor do I care. I'm just saying wait for confirmation before jumping off the cliff. We've had rumors from journos with integrity, that ultimately proved false. Nothing is true until confirmed, and fuck you for trying to lump me in with evolution deniers.

i'm sorry, but you typed 'Even if the rumors are 100% accurate they aren't accurate until confirmed'. Which is just bonkers. If the rumors are 100% accurate, THEY ARE 100% ACCURATE. RIGHT NOW.

people like yourself are basically saying that rumors can never reach a level whereby we start giving them weight. that even if everyone off record is saying the same thing, that we can't form any level of presumption that the rumors are true.

which is just mad mad mad.

so yes, it's the same kind of twisted brain logic that leads people to say evolution is 'just' a theory, because you're downplaying a growing pile of evidence by claiming it's all 'just' rumor.

Read that penny arcade quote. Journalists are reporting this because they are being told it is the case by people that they believe are in a position to know for a fact. Trusted sources they can't name because they are held to NDAs.

DopeyFish

Ugh, those scenarios only but the 3 minute timer in doubt when you assume that the first rumor, the online required at all times, is false...

That's the whole thing though... You may need an online connection to start a game when you initially bought it (to assign the license), but persistent Internet connection rumors are all over the place implying that there's timed leases. Which implies the system can be used offline.

See? Rumors are garbage.

Bsigg12

Ugh, those scenarios only put the 3 minute timer in doubt when you assume that the first rumor, the online required at all times, is false...

I asked when both rumors are true.

Have we ever considered the timer is strictly for the dev unit in order to ensure the systems are not taken and moved into the public? So say someone takes one and is planning on giving out all its details, if the system locks down after not being connected for 3 minutes on the devs network, you have a secure device which will only open back up on a certain network. Just a theory.

hadareud

The Translator

Exactly that. Details.

And the three minutes thing was a "I think it's that", btw. If you take that as confirmation of anything then I can't help you.

Yes I know cheeky thread title but interesting article. Although a lot of it is trying to get devs to trip over themselves and reveal something they shouldn't. Nice attempt at least on the part of EDGE. And I thought they had a solid source for news of this machine? From the tone of this article that source must have dried up.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-long-silence-why-microsoft-needs-to-reveals-its-next-xbox-and-quickly/

I get the feeling MS is squeezing devs on NDAs so hard because all of the terrible shit we're hearing about the console is true.

Have we ever considered the timer is strictly for the dev unit in order to ensure the systems are not taken and moved into the public? So say someone takes one and is planning on giving out all its details, if the system locks down after not being connected for 3 minutes on the devs network, you have a secure device which will only open back up on a certain network. Just a theory.

Security wise, MS would implement something like that using tokens and and associated developer account. If the token is not reverified after 3 minutes, then the system turns off. It doesn't matter which network you are on.

No security system in the world checks literally which network you are on... It's all implicitly in the fact you can connect then you go throug authentication and verification

abadguy

Banned
i'm sorry, but you typed 'Even if the rumors are 100% accurate they aren't accurate until confirmed'. Which is just bonkers. If the rumors are 100% accurate, THEY ARE 100% ACCURATE. RIGHT NOW.

people like yourself are basically saying that rumors can never reach a level whereby we start giving them weight. that even if everyone off record is saying the same thing, that we can't form any level of presumption that the rumors are true.

which is just mad mad mad.

so yes, it's the same kind of twisted brain logic that leads people to say evolution is 'just' a theory, because you're downplaying a growing pile of evidence by claiming it's all 'just' rumor.

Read that penny arcade quote. Journalists are reporting this because they are being told it is the case by people that they believe are in a position to know for a fact. Trusted sources they can't name because they are held to NDAs.

But it is just rumor. I've seen no evidence, only hearsay. Even the leaked XDK which went out of it's way to specify Kinect was required, didn't do the same for "always online". In fact the very term "Always online" and "online required" are to different things.

Kinect tells me they can eventually win back the casual crown potentially.

But everything else rumored says they have lost a lot of the core.

Time will tell. I personally have never been this turned off about an upcoming next gen console. =(

DopeyFish

Security wise, MS would implement something like that using tokens and and associated developer account. It the token is validated every 3 minutes, then the system turns off. It doesn't matter which network you are on.

No security system in the world checks the kind of network you are on...

No security system? Lol. We have one at my job.

I've only heard about the guy in the past two months and the impression I have is that he's a elitist corporatist douche bag.

With a shitty fucking neck beard.

No security system? Lol. We have one at my job.

Security systems do not check which network you are on because it's implicit in the fact you are ON the network when you are interacting with the security system. Why would you check which network you are on if you are on the network of the security system already?

What security systems do is authenticate and verify you, not check which network you are.

DopeyFish

Security systems do not check which network you are on because it's implicit in the fact you are ON the network when you are interacting with the security system. Why would you check which network you are on if you are on the network of the security system already?

What security systems do is authenticate and verify you, not check which network you are.

depends on how sensitive the materials you have are?

you are thinking of a one way security system, not security on both the client and the server?

Bsigg12

I still feel like my theory works either way. Not connected/verified with the dev kit for 3 minutes locks it down. If the only place the security system is available is at the developer then it still would do the same thing.

Top Bottom