• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Why "increasingly frustrated journalists" need MS to reveal its new Xbox

Oh no, they've definitely lost some people, as people genuinely don't like what they are hearing. We all have very strong opinions on this. I don't see what the big deal is, other people think Microsoft is destroying gaming itself. So they have lost some people, but the real question is will it be enough to even matter?

they'll definitely be letting a lot of people swing over to PS4, but if they do have some kind of major deal with one or more cable companies, they might bring in enough new people not to care. if Pachter's theory is right, I think MS have a great chance of being successful with an always online console. as a souped up cable box, it's a more interesting proposition I think, given that we don't expect cable boxes to keep working when our cable goes down.

but who knows if such theories are close to the money, and who knows if the people that might bring in will more than balance out those that will surely just buy a PS4 once they realize that the next Xbox doesn't work for their internet situation.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The game journo's just want their care packages and all expense paid for trips.

In short:
WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE GAME JOURNALISTS!

kids.jpg

GhaleonEB

So you believe the gaming media will be super positive after the reveal even if the rumors are true?

I honestly don't believe that. I hope they have more integrity than that and all this fuss over always online is in fact due to anticonsumerism and not because they haven't revealed the system yet.

To sharpen my point a bit, I was talking about two things. 1) the "increasingly frustrated journalists" who want to report on a product that is not yet announced. And 2) inability of developers to comment on whether their games are coming for the platform - since it hasn't been announced. For that matter, the other "problem" Edge was reporting on is 3) the fact that MS can't/won't comment on increasingly negative rumors about their console's features - since it hasn't been announced yet. All these things go away fast once MS makes their announcement and the press can busy themselves with press releases and the usual stuff they do.

I think whether the press will be positive or negative will depend on what is announced.

Kinect is still a piece of shit for core games.

also it WAS a big hit. but it isn't now. translating a casual audience on one generation to another is no easy thing to achieve. for casuals Kinect was a shorter fad than the Wii was. the next Xbox will live and die by its features.

if people think the Wii U was stupid to be called Wii U... what the hell is going to be the impact of calling it 'Xbox' if indeed that rumor pans out?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is not a good answer to the question/problem at hand. Microsoft is currently being run very poorly and all you can do is post a picture in response?

Microsoft needs to create some momentum for this thing and start creating some good press.

I think you missed the joke.

Dirtbag

I'm rather fed up with Microsoft for my own reasons, but I really think all these sinking ship articles because journalist are disgruntled without reveals are ridiculous.

I have a lot of concerns about the next Xbox, but sympathy for the poor journalists who thrive off tech reveals and blockbuster previews and exclusive interviews just aren't among them.

^ This right here is what I got from the article and others like it. No previews and exclusives means these journalists feel irrelevant, it hurts their ego that they don't know more than the average forum member.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
they'll definitely be letting a lot of people swing over to PS4, but if they do have some kind of major deal with one or more cable companies, they might bring in enough new people not to care. if Pachter's theory is right, I think MS have a great chance of being successful with an always online console. as a souped up cable box, it's a more interesting proposition I think, given that we don't expect cable boxes to keep working when our cable goes down.

but who knows if such theories are close to the money, and who knows if the people that might bring in will more than balance out those that will surely just buy a PS4 once they realize that the next Xbox doesn't work for their internet situation.

Those cablebox features are not going to sell many extra consoles outside the US, where such features would likely be useless.

This core gamer doesnt think so. Had great fun with Dance central and Kinect Sports.

1336785323499.jpg

Seriously though, I find it pretty appalling how much people here are dismissing the next iteration of Kinect and they have no idea about how much better the tech will be.

This seems more like a problem of games journalism, they are all running wild with these rumors because they have nothing else to report. No one will care about the past speculation once it is officially revealed.

I don't see how this is a problem for MS unless the rumors end up being true.

statham

I still use my Kinect mostly for workout stuff & voice controls for the TV. Also still waiting for Kinect sports 2 to drop in price! I refuse to pay over $40 on that old of a game.

This core gamer doesnt think so. Had great fun with Dance central and Kinect Sports.
Well dance on with your dancing self.

The head tracking in Forza 4 was useless, and the voice commands in Halo Anniversary betrayed my co-op partner every time I had the gall to utter the word "grenade" in conversation.

Outside of dance games and mini-game collections I still don't see the point, game-wise. It's decent enough for voice control of the dashboard and watching videos though.

Kinect 2.0 could change things though, and I won't write off anything about the NextBox until the formal reveal and details emerge.

tfur

MS must be loving how starved everyone is for absolutely any information about this thing.

I cannot think of a way where anyone, other that the completely delusional at Microsoft, would be loving the bad press.

Also, we have the information. We have the leaks, we have the rumors.

If MS cared to or could correct anything, they could easily issue statements without mentioning future product lines. It's easy enough to say "we at Microsoft do not, and have no plans to move away from our current models" blah.. blah etc etc... This easy, common, and the correct way to do things.

The problem is, its hard to correct leaks and rumors that are true.

In any case, until MS has something to say, it is acceptable to believe rumors and leaks as true. Who cares, Durango does not even exist right?

After all is said and done, all of this anticipation will surely lead to a much wider audience for MS' next-gen reveal than Sony got. Even the most ardent Sony fan and MS hater will watch to see what all of these months of rumors and speculation will amount to. MS has to know that more eyes are on them now than anything else they could have done to get people interested and waiting with popcorn nearby.

also it WAS a big hit. but it isn't now. translating a casual audience on one generation to another is no easy thing to achieve. for casuals Kinect was a shorter fad than the Wii was. the next Xbox will live and die by its features.

if people think the Wii U was stupid to be called Wii U... what the hell is going to be the impact of calling it 'Xbox' if indeed that rumor pans out?
The rumor is its just going to be called 'Xbox'? That's really dumb.

After all is said and done, all of this anticipation will surely lead to a much wider audience for MS' next-gen reveal than Sony got. Even the most ardent Sony fan and MS hater will watch to see what all of these months of rumors and speculation will amount to. MS has to know that more eyes are on them now than anything else they could have done to get people interested and waiting with popcorn nearby.
That's true, but I think regardless of how "always online" pans out, they'll still have gamer problems to overcome. Whats up with Gold? What are the costs? Is it still required for online play? And how much focus is being shifted from games towards Kinect and media features?

They've got a lot to talk about, that's for sure.

The rumor is its just going to be called 'Xbox'? That's really dumb.
I'd be fine with that name provided the box has full backwards compatibility. If not? Seems like a mistake.

That's true, but I think regardless of how "always online" pans out, they'll still have gamer problems to overcome. Whats up with Gold? What are the costs? Is it still required for online play? And how much focus is being shifted from games towards Kinect and media features?

They've got a lot to talk about, that's for sure.

Solution, like this gen, is to bring the exclusive games and features to make it worth ponying up for. And that's the thing, man. It's all about the whole reason we buy these fucking boxes and pay the money that we do to have them now rather than much later. Hot-looking and -playing stuff will make most people prioritize the whole reason we're into this shit: games and entertainment. There's so much unsaid and unconfirmed about PS4, yet, all that mattered to most is the games announced and shown.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
1336785323499.jpg

Seriously though, I find it pretty appalling how much people here are dismissing the next iteration of Kinect and they have no idea about how much better the tech will be.
For its sake, it better be. I tried Kinect with a few games once and thought it was complete, utter garbage.

MCD

I only used Kinect for the voice stuff and it barely worked because my room is not big enough for it to function correctly.

No, I am not moving my couch every time I want to play FUCK OFF.

kingocfs

Also, we have the information.

You really don't, because Microsoft hasn't told you anything yet. We think we know the price, but we don't. We think we know how "always connected" will work, but we don't. We think we know what's inside of this machine, but we don't.

Their console, which doesn't even technically exist, is getting "press," if you want to call websites like EDGE that, every day. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, because it's all based on speculation and people are talking about. That's all that matters between now and their reveal.

GeeDuhb

My personal opinion is, I think they are scrambling to fix the issues that are blatantly obvious now that the PS4 is no longer a "theory." I honestly think they were banking on the PS4 having the "always online/used game killer" feature. Now that it doesn't, I think it could be devistating for the console, no matter what else the spec list contains.

I know personally, I rarely BUY used games, but I am an avid gamefly user and also frequently borrow games from my friends. I have had both a 360 and PS3 for years, but have always been a 360 "fanboy" of sorts. I never thought there was anything that would turn me away from the next MS console, but after hearing the rampid "always online" rumors for the last few weeks/months... I can sit here and say that (at this point,) baring MS having some sort of teleportation features in this new box, if online is a requirement (even though I am always online anyway) I will boycott the console. PS4 looks like it will carry me through this Gen quite nicely by itself. I have not problem buying both, but if they are going to do shit like THAT, I'm out. NO THANK YOU. So MS, wait until your ready and don't worry about the whiney game journalists. Just fix the mess before you show the world what a disaster you have created.

I hate how devs are disregarding that the PS4 exists because of the Durango's NDA.

Fuck that noise.

This is part of why MS is in no hurry. Devs still are not really talking about next-gen at all so MS isn't losing out on any meaningful coverage. The journos are just butthurt but after the reveal no one will remember any of this BS, especially not the mass core audience that Durango is targeting.

Solution, like this gen, is to bring the exclusive games and features to make it worth ponying up for. And that's the thing, man. It's all about the whole reason we buy these fucking boxes and pay the money that we do to have them now rather than much later. Hot-looking and -playing stuff will make most people prioritize the whole reason we're into this shit: games and entertainment. There's so much unsaid and unconfirmed about PS4, yet, all that mattered to most is the games announced and shown.

The problem is, were those games really very impressive? At least for me I didn't see anything amazing. Killzone has never been anything but mediocre and this one didn't look amazing gameplay or graphics wise. It certainly hurt the reveal that Crysis 3 was released around the same time and in comparison nothing on the PS4 came close to C3. What else did they show? That Knack game? The Media Molecule dancing camera bullshit? The infamous sequel was cool but honestly the best thing at the show was Watchdogs which is multiplatform and is gonna be on Xbox.

I basically feel like Sony failed to capture the core audience hype, and MS could very well be delaying so they can show some stuff more people care about. BF4, the next COD, Halo, Gears, Fable, something from Rare that isn't horrible, etc. They could easily come out and show stuff and tout features that the PS4 has nothing to compete against. I think since both consoles are actually releasing around the same time that waiting for the reveal is nothing but positive. An extra month of polish could mean several more games at the reveal and games that look a lot better. Plus, MS gets to make a hype wave then ride it into E3 and then on into Build and launch all the way.

Sony kind of acted too soon, in the core audience the hype for PS4 is gone because no one is talking about it anymore. The 3rd parties aren't talking next-gen and Sony has nothing else to show.

shandy706

I only used Kinect for the voice stuff and it barely worked because my room is not big enough for it to function correctly.

No, I am not moving my couch every time I want to play FUCK OFF.

Your couch is 3 1/2 feet from your TV?!

ElRenoRaven

Oh no, they've definitely lost some people, as people genuinely don't like what they are hearing. We all have very strong opinions on this. I don't see what the big deal is, other people think Microsoft is destroying gaming itself. So they have lost some people, but the real question is will it be enough to even matter?

I have no doubt they have. I was in gamestop the other day and the guy there got to talking to me and he seeing I was knowledgeable asked me about these rumors. So even those who aren't that in the know are hearing these rumors and talking about jumping ship. I even saw a couple of people that were listening in on the conversation mention how they had heard these from friends etc and were probably going to not buy the next MS console if true.

The problem is, were those games really very impressive? At least for me I didn't see anything amazing. Killzone has never been anything but mediocre and this one didn't look amazing gameplay or graphics wise. It certainly hurt the reveal that Crysis 3 was released around the same time and in comparison nothing on the PS4 came close to C3. What else did they show? That Knack game? The Media Molecule dancing camera bullshit? The infamous sequel was cool but honestly the best thing at the show was Watchdogs which is multiplatform and is gonna be on Xbox.

I basically feel like Sony failed to capture the core audience hype, and MS could very well be delaying so they can show some stuff more people care about. BF4, the next COD, Halo, Gears, Fable, something from Rare that isn't horrible, etc. They could easily come out and show stuff and tout features that the PS4 has nothing to compete against. I think since both consoles are actually releasing around the same time that waiting for the reveal is nothing but positive. An extra month of polish could mean several more games at the reveal and games that look a lot better. Plus, MS gets to make a hype wave then ride it into E3 and then on into Build and launch all the way.

Sony kind of acted too soon, in the core audience the hype for PS4 is gone because no one is talking about it anymore. The 3rd parties aren't talking next-gen and Sony has nothing else to show.

Right, I agree, in general, though I do think that Sony had to show first. I think it was the best they could manage considering their system and properties aren't the biggest ones on the block anymore and that they're working with very early looks at the new console, but what they showed felt too much like what we already have gotten used to getting in the current gen, gameplay-wise, with overly familiar genres on display. Still, they did a good job even if it felt half-baked and lacking a killer app (IMO). They're going to have to measure up to everything that competes with them and XBOX is the one and only serious competitor to stack them up against. The buffer of time between announcements just affords them breathing room to explain themselves to a more positive and receptive audience, but that obviously comes with the problem that they may give up strategic points by allowing MS to counter more directly. I don't think MS will do a ton to the hardware if anything at all in response, but I do think MS' presentation and focus will be honed-in on based on what Sony showed and how it was received. Sony focuses on people who are most likely to buy a new system at its highest price point and thinnest selection of software and features, so they tell the game/tech/Sony enthusiast what they want to hear and keep the rest for another showing that speaks to the wider population they know they need to rope in to expand its reach when it hits those magic pricepoints and greater library maturity. MS will do the same since it's what everyone knows is the best course of action early on and later, when the time is right.

Muffdraul

as I recall, Project Assassin had been announced (or leaked) as a multiplatform title before it was unveiled by Sony under the final name, but it was never said by Sony to be exclusive, they just had exclusive unveiling rights or some crazy shit. a lot of us never believed it was exclusive.

What I remember is that Project Assassin was first announced at X05, and there was a stretch of months where a lot of people assumed it was an Xbox exclusive.

MS must be loving how starved everyone is for absolutely any information about this thing.

That's the one thing I'll give MS now; everyone is looking at them.

This feels like that episode or movie where someone is suspected of doing something wrong, and it takes longer than we'd want to find the truth (whether the accused did it or not is up in the air). Personally, I think they did that shit. Will wait for proof, and speculate in the meantime still.

Kuroyume

Banned
Marcin Iwinski, co-founder and joint CEO, CD Projekt
The Witcher 3 has been confirmed for PS4 and PC, but we’ve got a situation where no-one’s allowed to talk about what Microsoft’s doing next…
“Do we? Is there something coming? [laughs]”
I assume you’ve signed NDAs and so on – is it frustrating that you can’t talk openly about this?

“We’ve signed NDAs so we can’t talk about the NDAs! [laughs].”
We ran a story in February saying the next Xbox was always on, always connected and might not play secondhand games. Does that affect development of The Witcher 3 at all?
“Obviously we haven’t shared anything we know, and I have no knowledge of anything like that… we’ll wait and see and as it is with every platform it’ll be [revealed] step by step, bit by bit. Definitely what is happening – and again we don’t have any confirmed information on it – but it all goes this way: it’s the digital revolution. More downloads and streaming.”

So good when you consider the state of broadband in the USA. Can't even stream Youtube vids anymore without problems.

So good when you consider the state of broadband in the USA. Can't even stream Youtube vids anymore without problems.

If you think Youtube is a problem, then imagine the difficulty Sony will have selling its game streaming subscription services to people. Internet does get better over time, just like it's infinitely better now than when the current gen started and people bellyached about having to have a broadband connection to play games on those 2005 and 2006 consoles. Besides, not all streaming services are equal and YT definitely has problems that it doesn't necessarily have to have.

I remember. I also have realized that the landscape has changed regarding information. Twitter wasn't founded yet, Youtube wasn't even remotely what it is, and Facebook I think was still only for college emails. Things have changed and people are a lot more connected. And there was probably a fraction of the gaming blogs/sites we have now, but that's something I can't find any information on.

I mean, I get it, they love 'dem secrets. But holy shit it if isn't getting annoying for enthusiasts. It's obvious there is a market for this information as a single twitter conversation of about 4 statements turned into a huge media happening. It honestly feels like a Wal-mart door just before opening for Black Friday.

In that case they need less time. In 2005 it may seem like a short period of time to announce in may and release by the Fall, but now with Twitter, Facebook and all other social media, they can get the word out much faster, no need to rush, in fact it may be more beneficial to get things hyped closer to E3 so that people go into E3 with that fever still active and then launch as early as possible, maybe a few weeks after their conference, similar to Apple, that would be ideal imo.

Top Bottom