• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM/1UP steals the blood and sweat of hardcore gamers?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
You're missing the point, this is what he uses:

LOrealOutofbedCremeOG.JPG

YeOldSage said:
Who gives a shit! Folks, it's DOA THE SHITTIEST FIGHTING GAME OF THEM ALL!!!. The posters at DOACENTRAL STOLE that guide info from FX4 (underground fighting game forum that requires a membership). This is not the first time people have stolen from us; claimed it as their own; and then turned around hollering "Thief, Thief" (Gamefan, Screenshot)!
:lol :lol :lol

nice try buddy

WTF you nerds are idiot. Especially Matlock with his elite detective skills. You're not Batman. Most of you guys probably don't know half the story but jump on stupid conclusions. Just keep playing Pheonix Wright and keep dreaming about how you could have spent your sunday night NOT being a prick.

What the fuck is wrong with you guys, I don't know.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
1up should take care of it this morning, the story is starting to make the rounds.

Wrong or right I wish 1up the best, sucks to be in that sort of position. I'm sure 1up didn't allow this knowingly so this carte blanche harsh treatment might be a bit overboard.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Littleberu said:
WTF you nerds are idiot. Especially Matlock with his elite detective skills. You're not Batman. Most of you guys probably don't know half the story but jump on stupid conclusions. Just keep playing Pheonix Wright and keep dreaming about how you could have spent your sunday night NOT being a prick.

Ok, can't resist:

batman-begins22.jpg

Gaffers: "I'm Batman"

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-2.jpg

Littleberu: "OBJECTION!"

TekunoRobby said:
1up should take care of it this morning, the story is starting to make the rounds.

Wrong or right I wish 1up the best, sucks to be in that sort of position. I'm sure 1up didn't allow this knowingly so this carte blanche harsh treatment might be a bit overboard.

And it's not 1up fault anyway. It's Richard Li (or whatever his name is, if it is revealed that he stole it).

IJoel

TekunoRobby said:

Sucks to be in that sort of position, wrong or right I wish 1up the best. 1up didn't allow this knowingly so this carte blanche harsh treatment might be a bit overboard.

I agree with this. I also hope the guy doesn't get fired.

People have all this big-dicked respect for games mags, and sometimes it sickens me.

Just last week I discovered a UK PS2 mag (PLAY from Highbury) that has covermounted movies that they downloaded straight from Kikizo, in this case, Kikizo's Getaway footage from TGS (which didn't show up anywhere else online for some reason). Exact same cam audio gives it away, plus awful cropping and horrendous encode that halved the effective framerate and quality. Great job.

It's not going to be an easy decade for mags and frankly, some of them deserve to die sooner then others. Twats.

YeOldSage

The Faceless Master said:
then surely you understand my reply and laughter.
I wasn't trolling DOA, I was making fun of posters in the earlier part of the thread. My comment still stands about DOACENTRAL AND GAMEFAN being thieves, though.

YeOldSage said:
I wasn't trolling DOA, I was making fun of posters in the earlier part of the thread. My comment still stands about DOACENTRAL AND GAMEFAN being thieves, though.
with your imaginary invite only site that nobody can look at, right?

come on now, you've got to do better than that... hell, i think you're just doing this to boost that post count up...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
KyotoMecca said:
People have all this big-dicked respect for games mags, and sometimes it sickens me.

Just last week I discovered a UK PS2 mag (PLAY from Highbury) that has covermounted movies that they downloaded straight from Kikizo, in this case, Kikizo's Getaway footage from TGS (which didn't show up anywhere else online for some reason). Exact same cam audio gives it away, plus awful cropping and horrendous encode that halved the effective framerate and quality. Great job.

It's not going to be an easy decade for mags and frankly, some of them deserve to die sooner then others. Twats.
Well I'm sure you have more options aside from just sitting there and taking it. Well at least I hope you do I wouldn't know the legalities behind your scenario. Hopefully the matter was resolved in your favor.

I think the respect flows both ways, I'm sure if someone robbed from Kikizo and it made the headlines people would still react the same. The problem going on with this issue specifically is that Richard Li is completely to blame if these accusations are true. 1up I'm sure doesn't have some secretive clause where they allow stealing of other's work if no one finds out and they don't have the time or the resources to double check if a trusted employee's work is legit or not.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
TekunoRobby said:
Well I'm sure you have more options aside from just sitting there and taking it. Well at least I hope you do I wouldn't know the legalities behind your scenario. Hopefully the matter was resolved in your favor.

I think the respect flows both ways, I'm sure if someone robbed from Kikizo and it made the headlines people would still react the same. The problem going on with this issue specifically is that Richard Li is completely to blame if these accusations are true. 1up I'm sure doesn't have some secretive clause where they allow stealing of other's work if no one finds out and they don't have the time or the resources to double check if a trusted employee's work is legit or not.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's more Richard Li's fault than 1up's, since it's so hard to track stuff like this and I doubt 1up editors expected one of their staff to lift info straight from a forum. Anyway, this happened in the weekend so 1up never had the chance to publicly respond. I'm interested to see how they react to this.

Matlock

Banned
Littleberu said:

I'm more Monk that Batman, actually. And this SHOULD have blown over (due to what action will be taken), but I figure the 1up situation complicates things slightly.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Littleberu said:
WTF you nerds are idiot. Especially Matlock with his elite detective skills. You're not Batman.

But he is Matlock! (matlocks a detective right?)

Anyway, I was getting worried about becomming more of a nerd lately, but the fact that I couldn't give a shit about this makes me feel safer.

Actually, Matlock is a criminal defense attorney in the suburban Atlanta area. He is possessed of much homespun wisdom and enjoys playing bluegrass music in his spare time. It's a pretty rad show.

EDIT: He also favors white linen suits, a sartorial choice usually not usually favored by Southern men who do not own plantations or a large chain of fried chicken restuarants.

YeOldSage

come on now, you've got to do better than that... hell, i think you're just doing this to boost that post count up...
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0137523/th-1
You are not your postcount. You are not your Avatar (although I'm pretty sure you have your yap open as much).

EDIT: And I just now realized this thread title was rediculous.

YeOldSage said:
th-1

You are not your postcount. You are not your Avatar (although I'm pretty sure you have your yap open as much).
You are not ... able to do anything other than make baseless claims about some imaginary site... i find it telling that you only responded to the second part of my post.

again, thanks for trying!

YeOldSage

You are not ... able to do anything other than make baseless claims about some imaginary site... i find it telling that you only responded to the second part of my post.

The only imaginary thing in this thread is the "depth" of DOA. We may only be a tight-knit gang of nine at FX4, but GODDAMNIT WE DON'T LIKE TO BE ROBBED BY ANYONE!!!!!

Juice

I really hope 1Up takes a hit for this. While I've definitely never been a fan of theirs, they represent gaming journalism to a large group of "normies" out there, and anything like this happening and not being dealt with swiftly would really just expose even more clearly what a joke profession 'gaming journalism' is. I've definitely got a few years under my belt working on fansites that people read, and we'd been bit hard by people straight copying and pasting our stories, from sites larger and smaller.

Plagiarism is a big deal in every form of publishing that doesn't involve niches like videogames and tractors, and I hope 1Up really stands up and does something about this. Including apologizing to us here for defending this guy in the first place. Though Che does get a couple points for at least being tempered in his wording.

By the way kids, remember to use KnightCite to cite all your sources. If the writer had only thrown an MLA citation down there, then none of this would have been a big deal. Yes, I made it, but I figured like it was an appropriate plug. :lol

Edit: Hi Slashdot. (Just saw this up there on the front page two minutes after posting.)

Mitleid

john2kx said:
/. article posted at 8 AM, monday morning..

way to give 1up editors a chance to respond to this thing.

This is an excellent point. I'm no fan of how much red carpet action 1UP gets on GAF or a member of the Che Fanclub, but I think it's only fair that the major online sources at least waited for a bit more of a public statement from the people responsible before pointing any fingers.

A lot of this premature response really strikes me as...unprofessional?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mitleid said:

Welcome to the Internets, where shrill fingerpointing and whining trumps professionalism 8 days a week!

drumlord

Mitleid said:
This is an excellent point. I'm no fan of how much red carpet action 1UP gets on GAF or a member of the Che Fanclub, but I think it's only fair that the major online sources at least waited for a bit more of a public statement from the people responsible before pointing any fingers.

How many professionals have said anything about this? /., a pre-blog blog does not count. It would be one thing if a site like mine did an op-ed on this situation last night without an attempt to contact 1up for a statement. But a bunch of people arguing about it on the internet isn't unprofessional; it's conversation. There is no expectation of ethical fair and balanced journalism in a message board thread.

Mitleid

Joseph Merrick said:
Yeah, it's not like we got both texts readily available and can compare them. Baseless!

I'm not calling into question the validity of the claim. I just personally feel that the most important factor right now is how it's actually handled by the 1UP editors.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Since when are we supposed to be paranoid about acting fucking professional on a message board?

Anyway, I've had a lot of my work plagerized to hell and back too, and it sucks a lot. It's a little bit different with me though because my situation mostly involved the army of ff*randomwordhere*.com fansites and not one where I know the plagerist is making his paycheck off of my hard work.

But still, I feel pretty bad for 1UP. I wish they were able to at least respond to the plagerism before it was slathered all over slashdot, because this is the sort of thing that can be hard for a site as a whole to live down, regardless if there are measures in place to prevent it. It also seems to have gotten to the point where Richard will probably be fired (if he wasn't and he continued posting guides, a lot of people would have this in the back of their minds), and if I was the guy who wrote the original guide I'd feel bad about that even though he stole my work :/

I'm glad that the DOA Central guys are getting credit where credit's due through other means, because it's really shitty of a person working for a site the calibur of 1UP to gank a guide like that to make his paycheck. But I wish 1UP had got a chance to respond before everybody and their brother read about it on Slashdot.

But I guess that's the internets for you.

Matlock

Banned
I don't understand how if one of the editors talked to Richard Li about it (happened), why an appended bit couldn't be added to the end within a few minutes (didn't happen).

Of course, both that and what went on in this thread are for the legal team of Ziff Davis to split hairs over, not a random jackass on the internet.

After thinking about the situation even further, and seeing that Richard Li is an editor himself I honestly can't fathom how something like this could happen. I learned in first grade to cite my reports when needed, surely someone writing for a big 3 gaming site learned it too. :p

(although it seems he's a cheats editor, which has a different set of standards, but jeez, poor form)

YeOldSage said:
The only imaginary thing in this thread is the "depth" of DOA. We may only be a tight-knit gang of nine at FX4, but GODDAMNIT WE DON'T LIKE TO BE ROBBED BY ANYONE!!!!!
postcount +1

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
1UP responds. Figured you all would like to see:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147338

Dead or Alive 4 Strategy Guide Pulled
While we investigate some accusations.
by Sam Kennedy, 01/23/2006
This past weekend, 1UP was accused of plagiarizing the work of some of the members of the DOA Central community for a Dead or Alive strategy guide that we published on the site. This is a matter we take very seriously, and consequently we have pulled the guide from the site pending a formal review.
Given the nature of cheat codes and strategy guides, with set characters, moves, and abilities, there's bound to be overlap with other authors' content across the web.

We're currently investigating the situation and will republish the guide as soon as possible.

xsarien

daedsiluap
1UP said:
Given the nature of cheat codes and strategy guides, with set characters, moves, and abilities, there's bound to be overlap with other authors' content across the web.

The crux of the issue.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
:lol

Translation:

"This past weekend 1UP was caught plagiarizing the work of some of the members of the DOA Central community, This is a matter we didn't expect to be called out on, we'd have ignored it but it made it to Slashdot (bugger!) and consequently we have pulled the guide from the site until the heat dies down and you all go back to bitching about something else. We'd come up with a better excuse but what's the point.

We're currently laughing our asses off here at the fury caused and will republish the guide when we've juggled a few words about and your attention is on something else."

xsarien said:
The crux of the issue.

Definitely right. Things like moves, codes, etc. are facts that can't be copyrighted and can be printed without cite. The question here is whether the author actually copied the expression of those facts (i.e the sentences of the strategy guide), which it look likes he might have.

Matlock

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Definitely right. Things like moves, codes, etc. are facts that can't be copyrighted and can be printed without cite. The question here is whether the author actually copied the expression of those facts (i.e the sentences of the strategy guide), which it look likes he might have.

I feel the pattern (note post 74) is good enough for any reasonable person to doubt the lack of some sort of plagiarism.

xsarien said:
The crux of the issue.
it's like you really didn't read the most disputed parts... the crux isn't the moves and abilities etc, it's the in-depth way the system was broken down, and the way the paragraphs were rewritten sentence for sentence... there are a bazillion ways someone could have completely rewritten the text without drawing any suspicion, paragraph for paragraph, sentence for sentence isn't one of them...

Top Bottom