• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM's Opinionated Guide to What's Next

cja

Is sticking well over half the games in the "good" category supposed to be opinionated? :)

Fantastic

LOTR:The Third Age
Burnout 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Prince of Persia 2
Ratchet and Clank: Up your Arsenal
God of War
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Jade Empire
Dead or Alive: Ultimate
Resident Evil 4
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Good

The Urbz: Sims in the City
Star Wars: Battlefront
Battlefield: Modern Combat
Viewtiful Joe 2
Virtua Quest
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2
Area 51
Def Jam: Fight for New York
Xenosaga Episode II
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Eyetoy: Antigrav
Final Fantasy XII
Rumble Roses
Killzone
Gran Turismo 4
Rise of the Kasai
Nanobreaker
Neo Contra
Devil May Cry 3
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Star Wars: KotOR - The Sith Lords
Doom III
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Brothers in Arms
Kameo: Elements of Power
Forza Motorsport
Men of Valor
Outrun 2
Odama
Starfox
Paper Mario 2
Advance Wars: Under Fire

So-So

Mortal Kombat: Deception
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Dead to Rights II: Hell to Pay
Playboy: The Mansion
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Enthusia
Jak 3
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Geist

Bad

Death by Degrees
Getaway: Black Monday
Far Cry: Instincts

"Is sticking well over half the games in the "good" category supposed to be opinionated?"

It's when you list an Ace Combat game in the "So-So" category.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Are these all games that they've actually played? Because I see no other reason why Halo 2 would not be in any of those categories (unless you forgot to type it in).

cja

SolidSnakex said:
"Is sticking well over half the games in the "good" category supposed to be opinionated?"

It's when you list an Ace Combat game in the "So-So" category.
I'd call that not conforming to certain GAF goers tastes.

human5892 said:
Are these all games that they've actually played? Because I see no other reason why Halo 2 would not be in any of those categories (unless you forgot to type it in).
Guess its a showfloor E3 thing, and no they didn't offer an opinion on Halo 2 in this piece though there is a seperate two page "press start" preview thingy.

cja said:
I'd call that not conforming to certain GAF goers tastes.

Or peoples tastes in general as the AC series as a whole is very popular and well liked. But EGM's never cared for the series so it's not real surprising that they don't care for the new one.

Brofist

"Fantastic

Good

Xenosaga Episode II
Final Fantasy XII
Gran Turismo 4
Musashi: Samurai Legend"

Someone will pay

Advance Wars: Under Fire and Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat for me please. Those two hold the most promise. Oh and Odama. I like the idea of a tactical strategy-pinball game. Why didn't I think of that?

One thing: How the hell will you take over cities, bases and HQs in AW for Cube?

cja

SolidSnakex said:
But EGM's never cared for the series so it's not real surprising that they don't care for the new one.
They really don't say what they have against AC5, just remarking that the game doesn't look as good as the screenshot suggests, the Wingmen "add a nifty dynamic" and then moaning about lack of online play. Crispin is attributed to the very short write-up.

I personally chuckled when everyone was going goo-gaa over the AC5 screenshots, even though they were clearly cinematic angles that weren't gonna be actual playable in-game shots. That said, Ace Combat=Playstations greatest franchise ever! So-so is retarded.

I know it's their opinion but I so disagree with their perception of E3 (console strengths). I don't believe Sony earned an "A" at all this time around. If anything the games and excitement over their games just wasn't there....which brings me to this list.

Quite pitiful really.

Maybe I should go over to Game Informer to get some smarter editorial content. Currently this just won't cut it.

Hopefully they'll get their act together soon. It just makes me glad that my year subscription was free.

Memles

The thing is, I think they've got Nintendo's games just about right...it's the rest that are horribly screwed up (Paper Mario maybe being the only one a little low).

um, as far as i remember, EGM has always given the Ace Combat games fairly good ratings (i'd say around an 8.0 average or so, IIRC) so i don't see where the perception that they don't like the series comes from. That still doesn't explain why they have it on the "So-so" list. Same with Getaway: Black Monday. The first one got decent scores, and they even put part 2 on the cover a few months ago, so unless they played it and its downright atrocious, that selection doesn't make much sense either.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Im surprised to see Paper Mario 2 only get a "good", whil RE4, Metroid Prime 2 and DK Jungle Beat all got "Fantastic". Didnt 1up.com give Paper Mario 2 the Best of Show for Gamecube award?

Memles

Ace Combat seemed to get a So-So due to a lack of Online Dog Fights...and Paper Mario for its similarity to its prior title.

And special thanks to Wario for the Free Digital Subscription.

Kinda surprised to see that they liked Kameo more than Conker.

Also, I guess there were no playable GBA titles at E3 this year. :p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I guess we discussed this all before in the other threads and perhaps I pushed it from my mind...but AC5 isn't online?!? That blows.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
radcliff said:
Is there a reason why, unless I missed it, Halo 2 isn't on the list??

I dunno, but it could have something to do with it not being playable on the show floor. They also devoted 2 pages to it, with impressions under their preview section. Maybe they didnt feel like regurgitating info?

WarPig

Katcher said:
Fantastic- Dead or Alive: Ultimate

I thought this game wasn't playable?

The trailer had the Elephant Danger. Game of the fucking year.

Also, if you had seen the intro movie, you would understand. Itagaki was showing it in the back at Tecmo's booth -- a five-minute CG movie recounting Kasumi and Ayane's childhood set to "Dream On" by Aerosmith. GOD IT SO FUCKING RULES.

DFS.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Meh... any time a site or magazine puts up a list like this everyone always freaks out and talks about how shit they are now. I didn't really see anything horribly wrong with their list. I didn't agree with all of it, but I didn't think any of it was horribly offbase. "OMG they called my favorite franchise 'good'! They are teh suck!"

CrisKre

EGM missed quite a few games with their respective categories. The FANTASTIC list is OK (sans SH4 imo), but the rest have some pretty big fuckups (most of them alrerady noted)

Memles

Catchpenny said:
Kinda surprised to see that they liked Kameo more than Conker.

So was I, until I read them.

Kameo - Solid enough gameplay experience, should lose the cutesy, GCN leftover graphics.

Conker - Basically, they said the multiplayer was too generic. Didn't even mention the Single Player (Which stands as some amazing graphics, and a temptation to actually pick up an XBox).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
That's rather unfairly biased towards the console. There are several PC products that easily stand head to heard along the best consoles have to offer.

TekunoRobby said:
That's rather unfairly biased towards the console. There are several PC products that easily stand head to heard along the best consoles have to offer.

EGM doesn't cover PC gaming, so that's a reason why you don't see PC games there.

WarPig

Prince of Space said:
Fantastic

umm....what?

Edit: And FFXII getting Good - WTF, didn't 1up give it Best in Show?

EGM ain't 1up, tho. Although we like Silent Hill 4 too.

DFS.

Prince of Space said:
Fantastic

umm....what?

Edit: And FFXII getting Good - WTF, didn't 1up give it Best in Show?

I'm pretty sure that what happened here is multiple editors rated certain subsets of games at the show according to their own personal take, and these multiple lists were then collated into one grand overall list without anyone first seeing how other editors had rated the games.

In any case, IT DOESN'T MATTER so everyone please shut up and stop whining about how this game is only great, not fantastic, or why is this game ahead of that game?! It's not like one person sat in a room and said "every game on this list is better than Ace Combat 5! HAHA!"

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SolidSnakex said:
EGM doesn't cover PC gaming, so that's a reason why you don't see PC games there.
Oh I see now, thanks for the clarification.

I was confused because I saw a few titles in that list that were being released for PC but that's only because they are crossplatform.

Tellaerin

Fallopian Tube said:
Fantastic- Dead or Alive: Ultimate

I thought this game wasn't playable?

1) Nowhere in that piece did they say that they were limiting themselves to impressions of things that were playable on the show floor at e3, and

2) The entry for DoA: U in the Opinionated Guide was penned by Greg Orlando, the same guy who wrote an XBN article about it after playing the prerelease version, IIRC.

I can't comment on SH4, but I can say SH3 was very stale. And from recent impressions 4 just sounds like more of the same. It's very similar to how RE became stale rapidly, but at least that game presents vastly changing environments and wacky crazy stories. Yeah I don't know about this list.

evilromero said:
It's very similar to how RE became stale rapidly, but at least that game presents vastly changing environments and wacky crazy stories. Yeah I don't know about this list.

Umm...And SH doesn't? Vein rooms? And you don't get much more crazy than SH's plotlines.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wrong thread I know but since people are talking about SH:The Room....

Best in the series? If not how come? Nothing elaborate, a quick sentence or two will suffice. Thank you very much for your time.

Top Bottom