• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring Open World Inspired By Fumito Ueda Games And Scotland, Will Include Dynamic Weather And Enemy Systems.

Ar¢tos

I'm more concerned with the mounts controls and mounted combat controls / camera. In most games controlling a horse/or whatever mount animal the controls are very finicky, I don't trust From to get this right.

Gargus

Banned
I'm very curious to see how they will do open world!

I imagine it will be more like Dragon's Dogma than Witcher 3. Some big bad ugly monsters, not level scaled. which you have minimal chance to defeat so you will need to plan your route carefully and without GPS.

I just hope it isnt too open. Games with too big of worlds tend to get boring to me since you ended up spending too much time running back and forth through the same types of areas and same encounters with the same enemies and too little unique content to keep it fresh.

But yeah the idea of having to avoid areas and enemies and having to come back later sounds appealing. Too often it's just one enemy you have to avoid, or an area is simply just locked off due to lack of an item, and enemy scaling can make a game boring. Like skyrim killing a dragon easily so early in the game was cool and all but after a bit I learned there wasn't anything I couldn't kill with my bow and a bit of patience.

Whatever it ends up being the worst case scenario is it will be my least favorite from software game. I dont think they will make a bad game, it just might be my least favorite one.

Damnit I want new games like this and sekiro from them but st the same time I wish they would make a new kings field where its first person and a slow and methodical game. Or atleast port the old kings field games to psn for ps4.

RSB

Banned
Fumito Ueda games as inspiration? I like the sound of that.

Just yesterday I was thinking about The Last Guardian, and how it manages to convey the sheer scale of the world better than any open world game (or any game, for that matter) If Miyazaki and his team manage to do something similar with the world of Elder Ring, it could be truly amazing.

A Miyazaki game inspired by Ueda:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Belmonte

I just hope it isnt too open. Games with too big of worlds tend to get boring to me since you ended up spending too much time running back and forth through the same types of areas and same encounters with the same enemies and too little unique content to keep it fresh.

But yeah the idea of having to avoid areas and enemies and having to come back later sounds appealing. Too often it's just one enemy you have to avoid, or an area is simply just locked off due to lack of an item, and enemy scaling can make a game boring. Like skyrim killing a dragon easily so early in the game was cool and all but after a bit I learned there wasn't anything I couldn't kill with my bow and a bit of patience.

Whatever it ends up being the worst case scenario is it will be my least favorite from software game. I dont think they will make a bad game, it just might be my least favorite one.

Damnit I want new games like this and sekiro from them but st the same time I wish they would make a new kings field where its first person and a slow and methodical game. Or atleast port the old kings field games to psn for ps4.

I hear you. Open world is a very different experience than the tight and expert design From is know for. And this is why I'm very curious how they will tackle the design challenges of this type of structure. I imagine people who dislike open worlds will continue to not like them but I'm very hopeful.

Did you played Elex by chance? It is one open world which enemies are so dangerous, even common enemies, that traversal is a challenge and you need to be always aware of your surroundings and plan routes carefully. Looting a place is a risk/reward matter. In the beginning of the game there are very few moments of respite.

Since From is experimenting so much with the formula, I don't doubt we will have a King's Field-like game or even a direct sequel in the future.

Gargus

Banned
I hear you. Open world is a very different experience than the tight and expert design From is know for. And this is why I'm very curious how they will tackle the design challenges of this type of structure. I imagine people who dislike open worlds will continue to not like them but I'm very hopeful.

Did you played Elex by chance? It is one open world which enemies are so dangerous, even common enemies, that traversal is a challenge and you need to be always aware of your surroundings and plan routes carefully. Looting a place is a risk/reward matter. In the beginning of the game there are very few moments of respite.

Since From is experimenting so much with the formula, I don't doubt we will have a King's Field-like game or even a direct sequel in the future.

Never heard of Elex but I'll check it out.

I'm hoping open world to them means like their current games only maybe with more expansive areas, or a legend of zelda approach where you have a larger world and you reach areas and dungeons and such off it instead of everything just being a series of large rooms directly connected.

If they take some influence from elder scrolls games I'd be ok with that. That's one of the few big open world games I enjoyed. I can't quite put my finger on why I like them but they have something most open world games dont have that made them fun to explore and it never felt like a chore or tiresome. The fast traveling to discovered areas also help cut down on the fatigue of traveling in them since I could always be exploring new places and just shoot right to places I'd already explored.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i feel pretty good about the open world. if anyone can do a good open world it is From. look at the first Dark Souls, a world that is mostly entirely connected. look at DS3 or Bloodborne. look at Sekiro, a huge chunk of that game is all interconnected, from Ashina Castle you can get around to nearly anywhere in the game. most of their games have included large interconnected areas. not large as in "here is a giant field" but as in they make their own style of fantasy level design that covers a lot of geography. i don't think we are going to see any vast empty fields. you only need to look at how well crafted the worlds are in the games they have made so far.

Belmonte

King's Field deserves a return. The Ancient City is still an all-time great imo. Incredible atmosphere.

Just listen to the glorious and moody OST:

Very nice indeed!

I didn't play King's Field but I plan to do in the future. One of my favorite things in gaming is playing RPGs of the past, even when it is bad, it is good! Judging by videos, King's Field is great.

My only barrier is that I usually don't like to play two similar games from the same developer, at the same time and From Software does not give me respite! It is a highly replayable masterpiece after another. I didn't even started Sekiro yet and they are almost releasing Elden Ring!

EDMIX

Probably 2021

If its coming this year we will be hearing alot more noises already

Thats what I feel.

I'm hoping its like Fallout 4 and has a 6 month marketing window just for kicks, but I'm doubtful of that. (semi OT but I'm hoping Fallout 5 gets revealed and released same way)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sony better buy From and lock this up...…...I hope that's the dev announcement/purchase.......
why? I rather see FROM make games for multiple systems, I think Sony should concentrate on investing on Studio Japan again. I would love to see sequel to Soul Sacrifice for PS5.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
why? I rather see FROM make games for multiple systems, I think Sony should concentrate on investing on Studio Japan again. I would love to see sequel to Soul Sacrifice for PS5.
Well Sony is definitely buying a Studio, I would just prefer if they bought From instead of Remedy...….In any case, I understand your point, the From games has a following on so many platforms now, it makes sense they continue down that path...…….

Ar¢tos

Sounds too good to be true. When is this slated for release? 2023?
This is what I know from a friend that worked at Namco till the September of last year: Initially, gameplay was supposed to be shown at VGA with a release in Q1 2020, but the scope of the game got bigger and those plans were canceled.
There was no release date internally (at least at the time) but Namco was making pressure for a release before next gen consoles or for FROM to make a cross gen game.
Since all this is old info, things might have changed, the game might even be a next gen game releasing in 2021 or later.... who knows?

Skyr

kyfk021d3ku41.png
If it's fake, it's a really well made one. Everything sounds pretty plausible to me and makes me excited if true.

I'm glad they decided against populated towns, even tho it's open world (sort of). A feeling of loneliness is a must in a souls game for me.
The mounts sound awesome too :O

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
none on this goes against what was already known or leaked before. Obviously could be pure fan fiction but I'd still love for some of this stuff to be real. Like covenants being much deeper and consequential.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The limb currency sounds weird. I can almost believe the boss limbs part, but limbs off each enemy killed? Wolves and other beasts as mounts? I can’t imagine that just yet because I’m thinking about WoW or Golden Axe when I think of mounts. The kingdom part sounds easily made up (due to how Souls games are setup). I think a good 40% of that 4chan submission could be true. A lot of it could be a speculation praise article based off trailers and experience from playing FromSoftware games.

I wonder where someone might find these leaks? Is someone visiting or working at FromSoftware leaking info online? Someone on 4chan is trying to hack their servers? I’d take it with a grain of salt, much like most games from them. Sekiro’s reveal didn’t show much at all and then the gameplay reveal actually happened. I’d imagine FromSoftware trying to do the same thing with Elden Ring. Elden Ring is one of my most wanted games for either gen.

sublimit

Banned
My curiosity for this game has reached ridiculously high levels. I always try to keep my expectations for upcoming games in check but this time i find it very hard.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Kingdoms seem like levels. That's a bit disappointing. I was expecting one large, seamless open world.

Bartski

Gold Member
The limb currency sounds weird.
Yeah. Maybe they did come up with a dismemberment mechanic and are still figuring ways how to use it. What also did raise my eyebrow was:
>mount combat is just like you’d imagine; dark souls combat on horse back
wich means... what exactly? Maneuverability on a horseback is so different than on foot, what about defense? Wouldn't expect you to be able to dodge on a horse right?

Last edited:
Yeah. Maybe they did come up with a dismemberment mechanic and are still figuring ways how to use it. What also did raise my eyebrow was:
>mount combat is just like you’d imagine; dark souls combat on horse back
wich means... what exactly? Maneuverability on a horseback is so different than on foot, what about defense? Wouldn't expect you to be able to dodge on a horse right?
Wouldn't be too hard. Give the horse high poise, multiplied by their forward charging momentum, and let the player crash into a group of enemies. If you were caught fighting in a crowded group, you'd be easier to topple and overwhelm. Most games with mounted melee combat treat it that way.

Arachnid

If it's fake, it's a really well made one. Everything sounds pretty plausible to me and makes me excited if true.

I'm glad they decided against populated towns, even tho it's open world (sort of). A feeling of loneliness is a must in a souls game for me.
The mounts sound awesome too :O
Idk the part about your class determining which of the kingdoms you spawn in seems suspect. I assume kingdoms are different difficulties to account for player leveling right? Unless that's confined to 3 starter kingdoms or something. The limbs system seems weird too. It's not like the player character can physically carry around 100+ limbs so I feel like whatever the currency is would make more sense lore wise (maybe rings off limbs or something).

Also, it's 4chan. More often than not, their leaks are straight up fanfiction. I wouldn't put any thought into it, as good as it sounds.

Classes spawning you in specific kingdoms is honestly the most exciting thing to start off in a different area each time. Makes for good replay value.

Bartski

Gold Member
Wouldn't be too hard. Give the horse high poise, multiplied by their forward charging momentum, and let the player crash into a group of enemies. If you were caught fighting in a crowded group, you'd be easier to topple and overwhelm. Most games with mounted melee combat treat it that way.
Interesting. Come to think of it, few games with some form of mounted combat I remember playing was SoTC and Witcher3 so maybe I'm missing a better reference.
In Sekiro some battles could be played by circling around the boss full speed in a large arena and hitting when there is an opening (a rather unimpressive cheesy strat but worked) so maybe that's the rough template...

Last edited:
Interesting. Come to think of it, few games with some form of mounted combat I remember playing was SoTC and Whitcher3 so maybe I'm missing a better reference.
In Sekiro some battles could be played by circling around the boss full speed in a large arena and hitting when there is an opening (a rather unimpressive cheesy strat but worked) so maybe that's the rough template...
FROM could pull it off. I think they have the talent. Dark Souls III and Bloodborne made some crucial improvements to the combat, in such a way that it's kinda hard going back to the old games. Sekiro sharpened the combat to a razor's edge with its specific set of weapons. I doubt an open-world action RPG will have better combat than Sekiro but if it's on-par with Bloodborne / Dark Souls III I'd be happy. Mounted combat could be a cool feature or it could be garbage. Not all the weapons in Souls ended up being fun, after all. I hope it turns out well but if it's lame it won't be a game-killer, personally.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't Ueda always been one of Miyazaki's biggest influences? Think I remember reading an interview where he said that.

Anyway, this game might get me back on the From hype train. It sounds right up my street & the reveal trailer was cool as hell.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Dynamic weather in an open world game, HOLY SHIT.

I'm excited for the upcoming announcement of the announcement of the announcement.

Manji Uzuki

After launching in a row Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro... yeah I will buy whatever they launch next on first day as those are some of the games I have enjoyed more in the last decade. I hope open world here means that we will have multiple paths to follow from the start, similar to Dark Souls after arriving to the Firelink shrine. So far all the rumours sound too good to be true...

I'm super hyped. Come on Miyazaki, give us some trailer!

Top Bottom