• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree Details: More Dense Seamless Map, Largest Expansion Ever

Draugoth

Gold Member
ER_SOTE_screenshot-(4).png

FromSoft boss Hidetaka Miyazaki told Eurogamer this is the biggest expansion the company has ever worked on, among other important details:

• Miyazaki provided Eurogamer with further details of the expansion, and confirmed that Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin has not provided fresh material.
  • It takes place in a brand new area of a brand new map, which includes a similar structure to the original game: field areas, legacy dungeons, and other dungeons of varying scale. "In terms of pure surface area, you could think of something larger even than Limgrave in the base game
  • There will be a boss as Hard as Malenia in the DLC
  • A new level mechanic/element will be introduced

Last edited:
Ill check if the game still stutters when the expansion releases. If it's fixed then I'll get the dlc, if no, fuck off. Not gonna spend another 100h with that mess

M1987

Once you learn how she fights and what her weaknesses are Malenia is not hard. I honestly had more trouble with Maliketh the Black Blade.
My son just beat him in 2 tries(he struggled with the first phase) it took me over 50 the first time I fought them

Kurotri

Malenia isnt hard if:

- If you character can do fast rolls
if your character is a Bleed Build

Anything else struggles agaisnt her.
It's been a long time but weren't bleed builds nerfed or something? Also there's another way to beat her that borders on cheating: Using the Blasphemous Blade.

M1987

Malenia isnt hard if:

- If you character can do fast rolls
if your character is a Bleed Build

Anything else struggles agaisnt her.
I struggled with the waterfowl dance for months,I just couldn't dodge it,now I never get killed by it unless I'm too close

NT80

Both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 added much harder more memorable bosses in their DLCs than anything that was in the base game. I would hope this DLC would do something similar.

FromSoftware's expansions are always the best - for values and for contents. New adventures and new intriguing weapons/mechanics.

And a smaller but denser map is just what I always wanted.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There will be a boss as Hard as Malenia in the DLC
I personally didn't find her all that hard when I got to her. I just zerged the shit out of her with my mimic and basically almost had her stun locked before she can go HAM. Twinblade and all.

I struggled more with some other bosses over her initially. But that is the beauty of these games and how the boss difficulties vary depending on people's playstyle.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Especially before the first patch when Bleed builds plus Mimic tear were op as fuck

I was surprised how easily i decimater her with my build katana build, meanwhile i struggled agaisnt everything that was blood resistant

Mr Hyde

I personally didn't find her all that hard when I got to her. I just zerged the shit out of her with my mimic and basically almost had her stun locked before she can go HAM. Twinblade and all.

I struggled more with some other bosses over her initially. But that is the beauty of these games and how the boss difficulties vary depending on people's playstyle.

I remember I had to Respec my build to even be able to get to the second phase, lol. She was brutal. The most annoying part is that she heals even when blocking. I wouldn't mind if she healed on regular hits but doing it while blocking was rage inducing. She's not the hardest boss in the game though, I agree. I had more trouble with Godskin duo, Radagon and Maliketh. Probably over 50 attempts on each.

Metnut

Margit, Crucible Night and Elden Beast were the only bosses who took me more than 5 attempts to beat. Each of these took me 50+ though. Didn’t think Melania was that hard but I was leveled pretty high by the time I got to her. Weird and cool have everyone’s experience is different.

Looking forward to exploring the new area and legacy dungeons. Really curious what the new leveling up mechanic they are hinting at is going to be.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I remember I had to Respec my build to even be able to get to the second phase, lol. She was brutal. The most annoying part is that she heals even when blocking. I wouldn't mind if she healed on regular hits but doing it while blocking was rage inducing. She's not the hardest boss in the game though, I agree. I had more trouble with Godskin duo, Radagon and Maliketh. Probably over 50 attempts on each.

I think Malenia took the most attempts on both of my characters but on my 2nd one I NEVER used the Mimic Tear until that fight. I only made it to the 2nd phase maybe 2 or 3 times without it. First try with Mimic and I DESTROYED her 1st phase and almost beat her 2nd phase 1st try. Only took like 2 more attempts. Mimic is that good.

Woggleman

The way I beat Malenia was to use the blasphemous blade and mimic tear. As soon as you go in the there summon your mimic tear and move away from her so she attacks him first. While she is doing that go in on her relentlessly with the blade and don't let up. Ideally you and the mimic tear should be doing back and forth attacks. When she gears up to her sword attack move away quick and let the mimic tear take the heat. This works for both phases.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am on my second playthrough (first NG+) so I will let you know when I get to her again. It may have also been, "beginner's luck," but I initially died twice, the third time I just went in on her. She didn't even get to the dance (or maybe I was able to avoid, struggling with memory on that part). This was all post patch too mid-June last year.

Watch me get into the "fuck she is tough" cycle in my NG+ :pie_roffles:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The way I beat Malenia was to use the blasphemous blade and mimic tear. As soon as you go in the there summon your mimic tear and move away from her so she attacks him first. While she is doing that go in on her relentlessly with the blade and don't let up. Ideally you and the mimic tear should be doing back and forth attacks. When she gears up to her sword attack move away quick and let the mimic tear take the heat. This works for both phases.
I did the same, but with a cold twinblade and Bloodhound fang.

Mr Hyde

I am on my second playthrough (first NG+) so I will let you know when I get to her again. It may have also been, "beginner's luck," but I initially died twice, the third time I just went in on her. She didn't even get to the dance (or maybe I was able to avoid, struggling with memory on that part). This was all post patch too mid-June last year.

Watch me get into the "fuck she is tough" cycle in my NG+ :pie_roffles:

Oh, she's a doozy on NG+. Good luck and godspeed 🙏

Dorfdad

Gold Member
here I cut get past the first guy on the horse outside the entrance lol...
Maybe I should start a new game did they ever fix the PS5 version or is PS4 still the way to play locked 60?

ungalo

People who are saying she's ultra hard are not playing with mimic tear or even summons, on purpose lol. What is even this debate ?

Mimic tears was absolutely OP, of course she is easy if you use it.

But if not she's insanely hard compared to other bosses (someone mentioned fire giant, is that a joke ?).

MagnesD3

Malenia is incredibly easy with a summon, however if you SoloHer, that shit took me 5 hours lol, a very fun 5 hours tho (so fun I did it in 2 playthroughs :lollipop_squinting:).

Last edited:

Jedi0608

Am I the only weirdo that thinks Mohg was harder than Melenia? This is before finding out about the shackle and crystal tear? Even with that shit he’s no joke. Without it, he’s bonkers.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Am I the only weirdo that thinks Mohg was harder than Melenia? This is before finding out about the shackle and crystal tear? Even with that shit he’s no joke. Without it, he’s bonkers.
Yeah, with melee build this guy can be tough but......
elden-ring-comet-azur.gif
frieren-sousou-no-frieren.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom