• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree difficulty target "beyond accessibility to new players"

Toots

Gold Member
After reading your post I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized he was stronger than we, because he could stand that he was not a monster, he was a man... trained dev. This man who created games with his heart, who had a family, who had children, who was filled with love... but he had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten creative divisions of this man, our troubles with sweet baby inc would be over very quickly.

Hudo

After reading your post I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized he was stronger than we, because he could stand that he was not a monster, he was a man... trained dev. This man who created games with his heart, who had a family, who had children, who was filled with love... but he had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten creative divisions of this man, our troubles with sweet baby inc would be over very quickly.
Fair enough

Lokaum D+

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Buggy Loop

Sadly, typically a souls' hardest boss is the fucking camera. I hope it's not full of shit gigantic monsters that fucks up the camera and have shit hitboxes. I like hard as nail fair fights. Sekiro's Isshin Ashina comes to mind as perfection. Tough but fair.

Trogdor1123

Oh goodie… more places for me to die at constantly. To be fair, I’m not very good at the base game. it’s the hardest souls game for me. It’s great fun though.

intbal

I have all achievements, all equipment, lvl 550, close to 600 hours.
But I haven't played since last June.
I suspect I'm going to have to spend a month relearning how to play at a high level.

Metnut

I don’t mind the difficulty but I mostly enjoy exploring the world in From games and the constant tension and danger. Mandatory super hard bosses are my least favorite part of the genre. Eventually I learn the attack patterns and move on, but it’s more work than fun for me.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Makes sense. Isn't their DLC usually considered way more difficult than the base experience? Bloodborne's The Old Hunters certainly feels that way from personal experience :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Messmer is probably going to be insane. Malenia was a statue and now it’s Messmer the Impaler.

I’m looking forward to getting the kill.

Artorias of the Abyss was a pain at first. I power leveled myself for that.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Makes sense. Isn't their DLC usually considered way more difficult than the base experience? Bloodborne's The Old Hunters certainly feels that way from personal experience :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Wasn’t so bad if you relied on parries, but yeah it definitely had a learning curve. If you missed your parry you could get slaughtered. Laurence was a 🤬. That was a satisfying kill.

Last edited:
Demon’s Souls is the only From Souls game with not only fair boss fights, but also creative/zelda-like boss fights. They made use of the multiple game mechanics and items as a callback to what the player learned throughout the game and each boss had it’s own secret way of taking them down faster.
The false king was absurdly cheap with OHKO giant AOE. Twin Gargoyles on the bridge were mostly trial and error. Demon Souls was very experimental in its design. Swamp of Sorrow has possibly the worst level design in not only the franchise, but all action RPGs.

The false king was absurdly cheap with OHKO giant AOE.
We can half-agree on this. He telegraphs nearly all of his attacks and his OHKO charge AOE, giving you a very large windows of time to run away or dodge. Blade pointed up = vertical beam slash, blade pointed down = aoe, etc. If I were to compare this fight to a Zelda fight, it would be the Ganon equivalent.
Twin Gargoyles on the bridge were mostly trial and error.
They’re called maneaters. Stay near the entrance of the bridge, use fire on your weapon, target the rear/tail, keep slashing. There is also a cheese method with the bow and the middle section.
Demon Souls was very experimental in its design.
I agree, which is why it was more like a Zelda game in certain ways. The experimental nature of their boss fights slowly went away over time and was arguably completely gone by Dark Souls 3.
Swamp of Sorrow has possibly the worst level design in not only the franchise, but all action RPGs.
Even Dark Souls 2? Ok.

Swamp of Sorrow’s biggest issues are the speed reduction and health drain. I agree that the level itself is annoying but disagree that the level design is the worst ever.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Booo if true I’m one of those gamers that likes a little adversity in my games but making shit hard for the sake of making it hard can fuck right off!

Why games can’t just give us the option for adjustable difficulty after dying 10 times or something in a row is beyond me!

I want to enjoy these games also but if it’s this hard I’m not buying the dlc as I haven’t even finished the base game yet and finding players to help seems harder and harder now for me to find.

Bartski

Gold Member
Booo if true I’m one of those gamers that likes a little adversity in my games but making shit hard for the sake of making it hard can fuck right off!

Why games can’t just give us the option for adjustable difficulty after dying 10 times or something in a row is beyond me!

I want to enjoy these games also but if it’s this hard I’m not buying the dlc as I haven’t even finished the base game yet and finding players to help seems harder and harder now for me to find.
michael GIF

Paltheos

Can't wait to see the meltdowns from games journalists.

That's not how the game journalist process flowchart works. Notoriety of a developer precedes difficulty.

Step x: Is developer famous with a positive reputation? If no, proceed to step y. If yes, proceed to step z.
Step y: Evaluate game's difficulty or flaws from my personal perspective.
Step z: Downplay game flaws up to a determined tolerance threshold. Calculate threshold in direct proportion to notoriety of the developer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I don’t know what to tell you, you don’t like difficult games and yet you chose play a game that it’s known for it difficulty and complain why it’s difficult.

It like someone says they don’t like horror games but they proceed to buy horror game and then complain why it’s scary game….come on.

Gojiira

2009 actually. It's true though. I think I stopped playing it when I couldn't defeat the boss in 2-2 or 3-2. I went back in 2010 and it was much easier with a fresher perspective and not being in a frustrated mood.

Demons Souls was definitely the hardest traditional game I had played until that point in the PS3/360 generation. Only thing harder were Touhou and DJ Max.
Ooh yeah my bad, I suck with dates 😂

FUBARx89

Aren't they on about adding the Sekiro weapon type system to the dlc?

And the DLC has always been harder and had harder bosses than base game anyway. So dunno what people expected.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the difficulty but I mostly enjoy exploring the world in From games and the constant tension and danger. Mandatory super hard bosses are my least favorite part of the genre. Eventually I learn the attack patterns and move on, but it’s more work than fun for me.
same. ever since demon's souls, actually. love the games, but have no use for the boss fights...

Top Bottom