• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The OT header images are busted on mobile, off-screen. Presumably due to the faked centering via transparency. Looks good otherwise!

Vodh

I've been playing it casually as a Euro Space Simulator focusing on trading over the last few weeks and I love it. I believe it's a great game that's worth the asking price in it's current state, piloting the ship feels great and the galaxy feels vast.

I was half-awake and read this as "Ellen Degeneres".
image.php

elfinke

The game is fully compatible with a controller, I should probably adjust the OP with that information.

Woah, nice. I had a click around the E:D website, but it's pretty overwhelming with info and I ended up becoming distracted.

That's great news though! Thanks for updating me.

Woah, nice. I had a click around the E:D website, but it's pretty overwhelming with info and I ended up becoming distracted.

That's great news though! Thanks for updating me.

The binding is pretty good too and completely configurable even to the extent so that you can have any and every button be a modifier opening up even more control options. You can have A+Up be supercruise and A+Down be the Hyperspace jump, or whatever you want. It's rather surprising. HOTAS is still the best though.

Gaz_RB

tumblr_lzu99sHLMO1qmb3vvo1_500.gif

Just playing the combat simulation for the past 3 hours, no big deal...

I should probably just go to bed and just play after I've slept.

Hellers

At the moment I'm playing this exactly the same way I played the original back on the C64. I find a two way trade run and just do that over and over and over again to music. Feels good man.

Excited to give this another run through tomorrow! I put a fair amount of time into the early beta days before I decided to just wait until release before spending more time in it.

I will say, an Oculus Rift + x55 makes this game amazing to play. I'm debating getting a TrackIR as well since I don't want to use the Rift all the time. If anyone has any opinions on it, let me know!

I shouldn't get this since I am swamped with games. But I am a space-nut. And a fan of the original Elite... So yeah. My time and my wallet are pretty much doomed, I guess.

asker

This game interests me but I have a few questions:

The devs keep clamoring about a seamless universe, and yet from the streams I've watched, space feels very instanced. To get from one place to another, you jump into some kind of instanced hyper drive mode where I'm guessing you aren't visible to other players? And when you approach a space station you get a prompt and push a button, and you're suddenly teleported to the station instance. If this is still the case it really takes me out of the immersion. Also, when just flying around in space, is there anything but emptiness until you jump to one of these instances?

Dougald

Sweet, so I can roam the galaxy without running into CastielXHolmes345?

To be fair, I don't even play the gamma in solo mode and I've only ever come across one other player. I guess the more central systems are more populated, but the sheer size of this game makes meeting players unusual in my experience

Skyzard

Banned
Excited to give this another run through tomorrow! I put a fair amount of time into the early beta days before I decided to just wait until release before spending more time in it.

I will say, an Oculus Rift + x55 makes this game amazing to play. I'm debating getting a TrackIR as well since I don't want to use the Rift all the time. If anyone has any opinions on it, let me know!

Do it. I don't always feel like putting on the Oculus either.

Makes it feel less restrictive and more enjoyable when you have track ir to look around (vs not having it) - helps to see where you need to go or understand the situation you're in with other players. Can help with correct maneuvering too - especially in Star Citizen from what I remember.

If you play in an enclosed room without windows behind you (strong sunlight affects IR and you'll need to decrease sensitivity which might make it mess up at certain angles - not sure how the official thing holds up but I heard it's good), you can get it on the cheap with a PS3 webcam (fucking cheap from CEX in UK, like £3, but you need the right one to remove a filter without breaking the lens -youtube, 2 models).

Facetracknoir is the (free) program to use. Look for an updated module (point tracker 1.1).

I just bought the trackir pro clip for like £35 on ebay.

Takes a tiny bit of setup but you save like £100.

Works great in racing/flying games too. And Arma/DayZ, I guess.

This game interests me but I have a few questions:

The devs keep clamoring about a seamless universe, and yet from the streams I've watched, space feels very instanced. To get from one place to another, you jump into some kind of instanced hyper drive mode where I'm guessing you aren't visible to other players? And when you approach a space station you get a prompt and push a button, and you're suddenly teleported to the station instance. If this is still the case it really takes me out of the immersion. Also, when just flying around in space, is there anything but emptiness until you jump to one of these instances?

There are two different instances of "hyper drive" travel:
1. Hyperspace jumps which transport you to a different solar system to the one you are from and "land" you close to the destination system´s star. These are to be seen as loading screens.
2. Supercruise travel. This is to move at high speeds within a solar system in order to reach a planet/outpost/station. This is completely interactive, with other ships flying around and zones of interest to be found. While you can not engage in combat, you can interdict someone (if you have the right equipment) by moving close behind them and outmanoeuvring them in some kind of "mini-game". If you succeed, both of you will be dropped from supercruise and can engage in dogfighting. Otherwise, when you reach you destination, you just jump out of supercruise and do what you will.

In short, I don´t think that it is what you fear. It is much more interesting and involved.

SparkTR

Can't choose between this, Talos Principle, This War of Mine and Kerbal Space Program. If only time could stop for a bit.

trillbo

Great OP! Can't believe it's finally releasing. I've been in it since premium beta, and have already got my money's worth.

Any CMDRs out there looking for a combat buddy or some security while you trundle across the galaxy in your loaded Type 6 with no shields, add me: willbo

Thanks a lot! It is important to me that the universe feels consistent, though I can understand the limitations imposed by having such a vast universe to explore.

Also, these jumps are not obligatory, the universe is trully seamless. You can chose to travel at normal speeds, it will just take you some months or years to get to places :D

asker

Also, these jumps are not obligatory, the universe is trully seamless. You can chose to travel at normal speeds, it will just take you some months or years to get to places :D
That's exactly what I needed to know. Might pull the trigger. Cheers!

attachment.php

This guy is getting his Elite:Dangerous on. He can't be wrong. Apparently he's been a fan of the series since it came out. Also, I think he's a bad ass.

Seanspeed

Banned
Love these mega OP's for OT's. Nice work.

I'm super grabbed by the idea behind this game but I'm gonna hold off for longer. Probably wait until close to the Oculus Rift CV1 comes out, maybe like a month before so I can get some practice in.

What's the word on the expansion plans anyways? Any sort of timeline or priorities named? Are they actually working on anything yet or is it just a 'sometime in the future we want to do this' sort of thing? That might be another reason for me to wait. Want to see how much they're following through on this stuff.

RAIDEN1

Its a shame there are no alien races in this as yet....as well as the planet exploration, it should have all been part of the main game from the off!

Tempted to get this just wondering as I am not going to invest in a big-ass joystick, flight throttle for this game, would an Xbox 360 controller be compatible with this game to play on the PC???

Its a shame there are no alien races in this as yet....as well as the planet exploration, it should have all been part of the main game from the off!

Tempted to get this just wondering as I am not going to invest in a big-ass joystick, flight throttle for this game, would an Xbox 360 controller be compatible with this game to play on the PC???

Yup, fully compatible and plays well. Although you can always check out a T-Flight hotas stick. they sell for about $40 and are extremely good.

Gothos

Wish there was some basic flying demo for this. I just want to test the mouse + KB control scheme before buying it :(

aranth

Actually no, you need to hyperspace to travel to different systems (supercruising won't work, even if the distance changes), and you can't travel with normal speed to a station/outpost (you won't see it when the marker shows 0 km). Everything is instanced, the stations and the supercruise mode.

I'll be picking this up whenever they release the consumer rift.

Until then i'll lurk this thread!

This is what I wanted to do but I caved in. Star Citizen isn't going to be out for quite a while it seems and I need my Space-sim fix. Bought it yesterday and had a blast in the tutorials. Got the HOTAS X on order too, and today is my last day of work for Christmas break. :D

aravuus

Wow, this looks kind of awesome actually. Never really played any space sims.

I'm gonna wait for the planet exploration expansion though, I don't think pure dog fighting and flying around is gonna cut it for me. Especially since I don't own an oculus rift or a joystick.

I have been sinking a lot of time into this over the course of the Alpha and Beta, seeing the development over the last year and subsequent improvements and additions to each release has been a real eye-opener. It's amazing how much has been achieved since the Kickstarter, and my expectations have not only been met but far exceeded in many aspects of the game. I'm really glad to have been part of the process!

Great that everyone will now be able to join in the fun, and although there's a financial outlay involved to truly immerse yourself (seriously, get yourself a throttle/stick combo, you won't be sorry) it's totally worth it, I couldn't imagine playing ED any other way.

Excellent OT!

The Cowboy

Looks interesting, can you customize the UI colour?, that orange is terrible looking and i don't think it could put up with it.

JambiBum

Servers going down in a couple of minutes to get ready for release. Server message doesn't say how long they will be down for though. I'm hoping that it will kick me back to a station because I'm currently in the middle of no where without fuel. The station I previously left didn't offer me the chance to refuel and I didn't notice until I made my next jump :(

Great that everyone will now be able to join in the fun, and although there's a financial outlay involved to truly immerse yourself (seriously, get yourself a throttle/stick combo, you won't be sorry) it's totally worth it, I couldn't imagine playing ED any other way.

Excellent OT!

I've spent at least 20 hours with the combat tutorial #1 just flying around the asteroid field with my new X52. It feels so immersive to fly and then cut off the flight assist and do some cool spin to orientate yourself. I can't wait to play the game proper.

Looks interesting, can you customize the UI colour?, that orange is terrible looking and i don't think it could put up with it.

I've seen a bunch of different colors. Blue, Green, Purple. You have options apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom