• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk to announce SpaceX's Mars colonization plans at IAC on Tuesday (Sept. 27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me or is he a awful public speaker? Seems nervous and can't get the words out.

Iirc he has issues and since childhood has always had a slightly stop start way of speaking, constantly trying to find the right words. It's just a habit that he hasn't/can't get out of.

SpecX

First time seeing one of his live conferences so had no idea. Still loving what he's offering, but wish he would take some classes to improve this as it can be distracting.

Guy.brush

Having the booster return to the launch site is cool but also dangerous. What if it goes boom? Do they have an alternate launch site?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's funny how the mars landing part of the video does not look so sci-fi anymore.

Heh, he's always like that. I'd assume he doesn't really enjoy this part, but kinda has to do it.

Yeah he gave a talk at our university once and he's not an amazing speaker, but hearing him talk about technical stuff was great.

Sadly it was the business department that sponsored his visit so there was like 2 technical questions.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I really want to know how they would refuel at the launchpad, or is the booster only using a bit of fuel on launch?

subrock

First time seeing one of his live conferences so had no idea. Still loving what he's offering, but wish he would take some classes to improve this as it can be distracting.

you learn to love it. I like how he speaks because it's real shit, and real shit that he's excited about and knows inside and out.

One million people? Certainly that's a bit of an exaggeration. You'd only need about 1000 fertile couples to have sufficient genetic diversity.

I need medical advances to keep me alive long enough to see a self-sustaining million+ population Mars colony.

I just have to see it with my own eyes.

DavidDesu

It's just bizarre living in a time when someone who can actually make this happen is seriously discussing creating a human colony on Mars. Fucking amazing. Something that governments should have been doing since Apollo but couldn't be fucked.

I think I will live to see the day when humans are on Mars. I can experience the first step on Mars in my 8K PSVR3 headset! Maybe they'll allow old folks to go down the line. Maybe a lottery to send randoms to Mars.. I can only hope.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, one thing escapes me - if it takes refueling of the ship at the start of the trip to mars, what will perform the symmetrical function on the way back to earth? Or are mars' orbital and escape velocities so much lower than earth's?

Guy.brush

Space penis chart is out!

Also 1000 ships is a lot of kinetic projectiles.
That would actually be a good plot for a new space Bond.
Pretend you want to go to Mars and establish a fleet of kinetic weapons to hold power of Earth.

Ok, one thing escapes me - if it takes refueling of the ship at the start of the trip to mars, what will perform the symmetrical function on the way back to earth? Or are mars' orbital and escape velocities so much lower than earth's?

It's less than half of Earth's.

ElFly

Having the booster return to the launch site is cool but also dangerous. What if it goes boom? Do they have an alternate launch site?

I guess so

I don't think it matters; the spaceship can probably wait around a couple of days if the first fuel tank launch fails

the reason the humans are launched first may be to minimize the risk of the rocket failing if the first launch introduces some defects in the rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom