• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk to announce SpaceX's Mars colonization plans at IAC on Tuesday (Sept. 27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantII

I really want to believe he'll get anything of this accomplished in the next ten years but he's missing a lot of specifics. What about radiation? Bone density loss during the trip? If the spaceship goes back to earth for the next trip what do they build the habitats out of?

For the last one the plan is to send fleets of cargo modules and human transports. It won't be one ship going, but 100 at a time untill there's a sufficient base of operations on Mars.

androvsky

I really want to believe he'll get anything of this accomplished in the next ten years but he's missing a lot of specifics. What about radiation? Bone density loss during the trip? If the spaceship goes back to earth for the next trip what do they build the habitats out of?

90 days solves most of the trip problems, and it's the in-orbit refueling that likely makes that possible. First trip probably is going to have a lot of cargo for building habitats, fewer people I'm guessing. When it said 100 people, it was said long-term plans.

edit: Probably shouldn't try to answer not having actually listened to it, but based on the slides... ;)

Oriel

That rocket size! I'd like to see this compared to the Saturn V.

kM9pKRV.png

Morts

For the last one the plan is to send fleets of cargo modules and human transports. It won't be one ship going, but 100 at a time untill there's a sufficient base of operations on Mars.

Seems like they're skipping a few steps. No ones going to give them money to build 100 ships until they've pulled off an Apollo style mission of around half-dozen astronauts.

TyrantII

^^

Anything that can move NASA from it's nonsensical overly conservative 'we need non-existent technology to do this, so it's perpetually going to be 20 years in the future' is a positive.

That's not really the problem. Legalities (having to do with safety) and budgets are the biggest issues. Essentially, politics in Washington.

Private enterprises have much more leeway in both those areas when it comes to spaceflight.

TyrantII

Seems like they're skipping a few steps. No ones going to give them money to build 100 ships until they've pulled off an Apollo style mission of around half-dozen astronauts.

Must have missed the start. That's what the Dragon missions will be. This is for IPS fleet to colonize mars using the technology and engineering they've done with Falcon, Falcon Heavy, and Dragon

Morts

Must have missed the start. That's what the Dragon missions will be. This is for IPS fleet to colonize mars using the technology and engineering they've done with Falcon, Falcon Heavy, and Dragon

I did miss the start, apologies.

I hate to be overly critical, I want all of this to happen as much as anyone. I'm just already imagining the pain I'll feel when the first few deadlines start to pass by.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE USE THEM TOGETHER USE THEM IN PEACE"

What have you done, Musk!?

Woorloog

Banned
So, was there any talk about figuring out if 1/3rd G is healthy enough for humans?
Because if it isn't healthy, the whole idea of colonizing Mars is kinda pointless.

Mars lacks an EM field, thus any attempt to create a new atmosphere will be futile. Solar waves would destroy whatever we terraformed.
Lack of magnetosphere would be problematic but not an insurmountable one. It takes time for solar wind to strip off atmosphere, so it could be replenished, and an artificial mag-shield could be constructed between the sun and Mars.

Shiloa

Ok so I just turned this on

Hearing about all this crazy stuff in the thread (i mean orbital drops, wtf)

And there is a guy asking

"is this just a big sandy shitstorm"

What the fuck is going on

red731

He saw The Martian guys. Shits and stuffs.

Well this Q&A only took two minutes to go off the rails. I guess this is not a press only event?

Looking at the people running to their seats, taking selfies there and all the weird stuff not much of press does - yes, this doesn't look press only. Full IAC, everyone could attend and correct me if I'm wrong as I am pulling this out of my..

So I'm gonna be the first to put myself forward to be the official GAFtronaut. If we want to get a kickstarter together, I'll donate my cargo allowance to the greater good.

#Believe

EDIT: Bottom of the page, damnit. I still got dibs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom