• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: A look at the redesigned Steam Controller

What is "Ghosting"?

D Pad needs work. Though I guess for platformers or something the pad on the left works just fine.

Ghosting is basically you being able to toggle through keys on screen. Like infinite number of keys, commands. They talk about it in the video I linked in the OP.

I wonder if the lack of touchscreen/touchpad is because of the pretty muted response to the touchpad on the DS4.

It still has two touchpads. They removed the touchscreen. It was expensive and redundant thanks to ghosting.

I still don't get how this thing is better than an Xbox 360 controller for games with native support.

No one is saying it will for all games.

The primary purpose to to make traditionally keyboard+mouse games playable with a controller. Games with native 360 controller support will mostly still be best played that way, but games like shooters should improve with this controller due to the mouselike touchpad. RTSs should also be much more playable with this controller depending on how you map the buttons. (Cursor on right pad, pan camera on left pad, hotkeys on buttons, etc.)

From impressions of the controller it sounds like it's also perfectly capable of playing 360 controller supported games (like Super Meat Boy), but they usually say that they prefer the 360 controller just because they are used to it. Assuming you can get used to it (or even prefer it over time), this controller should be more versatile since it can play those traditional PC games AND normal controller games.

I'm super hyped to pick one of these up as soon as they're available. It'll probably take a while to get used to it, but it seems like it will make playing PC games on my couch a lot easier. My trackball and keyboard do the job for the games I've been playing lately (the Myst games specifically), but it would be awesome to get a better option.

I want to try this out, something about the shape of the grips and position of the buttons looks like it would be really uncomfortable.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the biggest issue they are running into is that they are trying to design the controller to be agnostic to both hands, so that left handed players will have the same experience as a right handed player. The issue here is that it doesn't seem like it is possible to deliver a controller experience that tailors perfectly to both hand styles.

They should just design a right handed controller (right hand side for action inputs, left hand side for directional inputs).
I think the problem is a lack of focus.

When this thing was announced it was pitched as being used in-concert with the 360 pad for legacy support. This wasn't meant to be the one controller to rule them all, it was meant to make mouse pointer games viable on a gamepad. Now they're compromising the design to try and improve it's use for 360 pad titles, and I don't think they're going to do it well at all.

The trackpad is a nice idea, but the left side should just be a normal gamepad, and I won't be surprised if it is by the time they're done.

Miker

As others have said, and I said in the Steam thread:

It can probably be assumed that the button diamond came from a desire to make the controller more approachable and more in-line with current console controllers, and probably make it easier to play more console-oriented genres. I don't understand why Valve didn't just go all the way and keep a d-pad. A d-pad on the left instead of a button diamond would not disrupt its function as a controller for traditional PC games, but it does disrupt its function as a controller for more console-oriented genres.

Without an actual d-pad, you're pretty much forced to use the left touchpad for movement. The left "button diamond" seems like it'll be good for single inputs (switching weapons, etc.) and not for actual navigation.

I'm excited for the actual owl eye trackpads, though - people asking dual analogs are missing the point of this controller entirely.

Branduil

To be honest I think it would be better if they replaced the left "D-pad" with an analog stick. More useful for the vast majority of people and games.

I think the button layout makes more sense but it also loses a lot of it's appeal without the touchpad (I've read why they took it out but still). That pretty much puts the burden of existence on the track pads so I hope they work really well. I'd really love to try one of these.

Im really excited for this. But it looks like two versions, (one for lefty) is going to be inevitable. You dont skimp on D-pads.

Actually, those trackpads must be the second coming. I think theyre supposed to make up for dpad and touchscreen..

Just use an Xbox 360/One controller then. This is meant for playing PC games on the sofa.

You can also use the 360 controller the same way too. I just want something else besides the 360 controller. I like the back buttons near the handles and the 360 or nothing else has that.

I think the problem is a lack of focus.

When this thing was announced it was pitched as being used in-concert with the 360 pad for legacy support. This wasn't meant to be the one controller to rule them all, it was meant to make mouse pointer games viable on a gamepad. Now they're compromising the design to try and improve it's use for 360 pad titles, and I don't think they're going to do it well at all.

The trackpad is a nice idea, but the left side should just be a normal gamepad, and I won't be surprised if it is by the time they're done.

How is listening to user feedback lack of focus? Also, they never pitched it that way. They said they wanted to make a controller that plays every game on Steam.

wildfire

Banned
It's a reasonable looking compromise. I do enjoy using directional keys more after trying platformers on a keyboard. It just doesn't feel right.

Very nice. I can't watch the presentation, but assuming they are keeping the flippers in the back and the programmable trackpads, this is a good improvement. I thought the touchscreen was a good idea, but worried about the purposes it could be used for. This will give more buttons on the front, and keeps a familiar and symmetrical design, without needing to reach for buttons above, except for what look to be traditional start and select buttons.

As always, I'm eager to get my hands on it!

Without an actual d-pad, you're pretty much forced to use the left touchpad for movement. The left "button diamond" seems like it'll be good for single inputs (switching weapons, etc.) and not for actual navigation.

Assuming they aren't too far spaced out, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to use them as you would a traditional D-pad.

Sure, it's probably not ideal for fighting games or something else that requires hyper precise, rapid movement changes (Meatboy, maybe?), but I feel like as it is now it should be perfectly capable for playing most 2D platformers better than with a analog stick or the touchpad thing.

Maybe I just have big thumbs, but I never have problems with quickly pressing between B+X/A+Y or hitting diagonals with A+B/X+Y

Nzyme32

4mZW6e9.jpg

Announced during the recently-held Steam Dev Days, the latest version refines ergonomic aspects of the Controller by adding two diamond-patterned button layouts in the area previously designated for a touch screen display.
As shown in the attached, these analog buttons are offered in addition to the touch pads featured in the original prototypes.

controller_assembly03.jpg

I highly recommend watching that vid I linked.

Really? The feedback was people want this bizarre 'dpad'?

That's not what I'd read, but assuming you're right, I think that's an absurd goal, at least to have every game work great.

They asked for proper button placement. Valve prefers symmetry.

Straight from the announcement page said:
The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/?l=english

Nzyme32

bigger picture mode

4mZW6e9.jpg

Announced during the recently-held Steam Dev Days, the latest version refines ergonomic aspects of the Controller by adding two diamond-patterned button layouts in the area previously designated for a touch screen display.
As shown in the attached, these analog buttons are offered in addition to the touch pads featured in the original prototypes.

Top Bottom