• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: A look at the redesigned Steam Controller

Glossy rounded buttons

:/

I like the Xbox controller but man those glossy rounded buttons

Also is the arrow buttons suppose to be a D-Pad?

Edit: I just hate any gloss

Zeth

I cannot wait to get my hands on it. It's great to see Valve now applying their legendary attention to detail and design process to a game controller.

Endless

Little bigger

1394826197-steam-controller.png

Sentenza

Way better but i want an actual dpad
I actually prefer buttons.
A D-pad is typically used just for menu navigation anyway, and proper buttons are fare more comfortable for that, while still working decently enough as digital cross.
Plus, they also are additional buttons, when needed.

Grief.exe

That's more like it.

Are there still buttons on the back? That's a huge thing that should be standard with all the FPS games out there. I should never have to take my thumbs off the pads when playing a game with free look.

I wonder how that left side performs as a d-pad. If I can get consistent diagonal inputs with that setup it's officially better for fighting games than any of the console pads.

You can still see the triggers on top and the buttons on the back in that shot.

Bsigg12

So I take it they went with abxy in the same Xbox style so that devs don't need to add additional button prompts to their games? Seems smart. The controller still looks odd to me.

dpad looks like hot garbage. I think the grips look huge, might be comfortable but it looks like something an alien would use. Not a cool alien either. A grey or something lame like that.

The trackpad stick things look cool though. Dunno how functional they actually are and if they'd be any good for dual joystick games. I know they were designed with strategy games and other not normally playable with a controller dealies but you have to be able to play everything with it or why bother.

God that looks like a convoluted mess. Aesthetically I couldn't tell what side is the right-side up until I saw the buttons.

I'll uh... stick to keyboard and mouse.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Still hideous. The d-pad, in particular, looks unusable.

Why does this need to exist, anyway? It's a worse way to play literally everything.

StuBurns

Banned
They asked for proper button placement. Valve prefers symmetry.
Valve want to tackle the analog stick issue, that makes sense, because they need to, but I don't see the reason to ignore the decades of conventional gamepad inputs in the process, certainly with the justification of 'symmetry'.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why not a d-pad on the left side? I thought the purpose of the update was to make it more accessible for more games? I guess fighting games and 2D traversal titles are still left out.

Einbroch

Banned
Does it still have the triggers/buttons/pads on the back? I really liked that idea. I have three fingers that do nothing.

Grief.exe

Ergonomically this looks horrible. I also still question the touchpad design.

What looks so bad about it?

Keep in mind that the face buttons are meant for tertiary tasks, while the triggers and buttons on the back are meant for your primary buttons.

Does it still have the triggers/buttons/pads on the back? I really liked that idea. I have three fingers that do nothing.

Yes.

1. Button version is probably more useful than touchpad version, but not half as cool.

2. If this thing was just an Xbox pad then wtf, who cares? No dpad, no problem. If platformers are so important than either l2p w/ the buttons or drop $10 on a USB Saturn knock off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...er_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item58ac822c21

Xinput pads don't natively work for the thousands of PC games that were released pre-2006.

Nzyme32

dpad looks like hot garbage. I think the grips look huge, might be comfortable but it looks like something an alien would use. Not a cool alien either. A grey or something lame like that.

The trackpad stick things look cool though. Dunno how functional they actually are and if they'd be any good for dual joystick games. I know they were designed with strategy games and other not normally playable with a controller dealies but you have to be able to play everything with it or why bother.

That is by design. It angles your thumbs to point downwards rather than flat, as that allows for greater accuracy in games.

Baleoce

I get why they've made the d-pad like this. It's so it's technically there for quick menus etc. But when you really need that extra button utility, it's just as viable as the other face buttons and whatsmore they feel the same. The symmetry will make that second nature with very little need to adapt. A bad designed D-pad can cock up your experience when utilizing it for single use "macros" akin to what face buttons do. 360 d-pad is an abomination that makes it unreliable for use in most circumstances. This design circumvents that idea by simply being more face buttons, that you can still use for its aesthetic purpose of up down left right, should you require it.

Like others have said, if you already have a favourite 2D platforming gamepad, or fighting gamepad, then you're probably going to be using that for those games anyway.

Valve want to tackle the analog stick issue, that makes sense, because they need to, but I don't see the reason to ignore the decades of conventional gamepad inputs in the process, certainly with the justification of 'symmetry'.

If it's such a big issue they'll put in a proper D-pad then.

Who exactly is this designed for? This looks like the Steam version of Shield in terms of "there's no way the mass market will care about this thing."

What looks so bad about it?

Keep in mind that the face buttons are meant for tertiary tasks, while the triggers and buttons on the back are meant for your primary buttons.

Yes.

Xinput pads don't natively work for the thousands of PC games that were released pre-2006.

Valve said they put the buttons there for compatibility for traditional games. I dont think it's meant for tertiary tasks.

Nzyme32

If it's such a big issue they'll put in a proper D-pad then.

Ashecitism, can you help me work out where this reddit quote is from

Announced during the recently-held Steam Dev Days, the latest version refines ergonomic aspects of the Controller by adding two diamond-patterned button layouts in the area previously designated for a touch screen display.
As shown in the attached, these analog buttons are offered in addition to the touch pads featured in the original prototypes.

Was the last time analogue buttons were involved in a controller back with the original xbox, and ps2?

I need to hear from them as to why they think that Dpad was good. They have some really smart people over there so there has to be a reason that it looks like ass.

Valve said they put the buttons there for compatibility for traditional games. I dont think it's meant for tertiary tasks.

Yeah, initially they weren't and depending on the bindings they still aren't (you can use the paddles and the trackpads are clickable), but based on feedback this was needed for compatibility.

Mihos

Gold Member
Man, this is something will have to touch to know what the hell it is all about. As of now it could be both the worst and best thing to ever come out. It is like Schrodinger's controller.

inky

So no more touch screen?

Edit: sorry I stopped following shortly after it was announced and Steam machines went out.

Orayn

Was the last time analogue buttons were involved in a controller back with the original xbox, and ps2?

The Sixaxis and DualShock 3 had analog buttons as well, though they dropped it for the DualShock 4.

It's really not a hard thing to implement, all you need is a thin pressure sensor in addition to the contact.

Nice view! You can tell that's a 3D printed shell by the lines running across the front. (No, they won't 3D print the version they actually sell to people.)

Grit

Neo Member
buttons look like m&ms. not sure how those would feel, I don't know if I'd prefer flat or round face buttons, for Dpad flat surely

Top Bottom