• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

Hmmm.... interesting...
The name
Shigezo Morino was just mentioned. Wasnt he the doctor in Ever 17 who helped You get pregnant?
And
Djungarian hamster... Chami...? Cure virus perhaps?

Prelude.

Slightly OT but I think the people in this thread might be interested.

A few weeks ago I created a list of dual audio/jap only games released outside Japan on Wikipedia and it got rejected because "it'd be too long, it's not notable enough to be on wikipedia etc.", so I was wondering if it'd be possible to start that list in a wikipedia way, where it could be edited by anyone. The list I compiled is mostly complete since I covered probably about 95% of PS3/Vita/3DS/360 games and I also added a few PS1, PS2, DC, Xbox and PC ones.
So, what do you think? Where do you think it'd be possible to run something like that? It'd be pretty useful to have a comprehensive list of those games since, at least in my personal experience, every time I try to find out if a game is dual audio I always end up on the fucking gamefaqs forums where they argue about how much of a weeaboo you are if you care about the japanese dub.

Anyway, if you want to check my list go here. (I last edited it a month ago so the latest announced games like DR2 aren't there yet)

Slightly OT but I think the people in this thread might be interested.

A few weeks ago I created a list of dual audio/jap only games released outside Japan on Wikipedia and it got rejected because "it'd be too long, it's not notable enough to be on wikipedia etc.", so I was wondering if it'd be possible to start that list in a wikipedia way, where it could be edited by anyone. The list I compiled is mostly complete since I covered probably about 95% of PS3/Vita/3DS/360 games and I also added a few PS1, PS2, DC, Xbox and PC ones.
So, what do you think? Where do you think it'd be possible to run something like that? It'd be pretty useful to have a comprehensive list of those games since, at least in my personal experience, every time I try to find out if a game is dual audio I always end up on the fucking gamefaqs forums where they argue about how much of a weeaboo you are if you care about the japanese dub.

Anyway, if you want to check my list go here. (I last edited it a month ago so the latest announced games like DR2 aren't there yet)

This list is going to be very long if you're going to include visual novels ... or is it strictly limited to consoles releases ?

Has anyone here played/heard of Analogue: A Hate Story?

It's on Steam for only $2 this weekend. It's tempting, but I'm wanting to save every buck I can. >_> Anyone know if it's any good?

Quixzlizx

It's on Steam for only $2 this weekend. It's tempting, but I'm wanting to save every buck I can. >_> Anyone know if it's any good?

If you want to check it out, the prequel is Digital: A Love Story, which is free on the dev's site.

Burnburn

I finished Swan Song a few days ago, and woah, this game is amazing!

It follows a few characters in a post apocalyptic setting and it's pretty much the standard post apocalyptic fair. But it takes it and takes it a whole lot further. What I really enjoyed about this game is the strong cast, they are very believable. The character development one of the characters goes through, god damn.

If you haven't played it already, I highly recommend you check it out! But be aware, this game doesn't shy away from extreme violence and even depictions of rape. Not for the faint hearted.

Now for some more in depth:

I really felt compassion for Kuwagata, his entire view of the world changed so drasticaly. I feel like the way he turned out to be is only partial his fault. The person who really set the change in motion was Nozomi. She probably couldn't help it because she became twisted too after she got raped. The two spending so much time together, one of them a rape victim and the other easily affected, not a good combination.

But one of the things I hated most is that Hibari, Yuka or even Tsugami never took the time to talk with him. He just needed someone to talk to, someone to honestly tell what he thinks of the situation they are in. Now he only vented to Nozomi, who in turn made his view even more twisted.

Oh and the "good" ending is just bullshit. Don't even try to get it unless you really can't handle the normal ending.

It's pretty good. It's preachy and as subtle as a sledgehammer, and the production values are low even by VN standards, but I enjoyed it. The entire story is basically told through reading emails though.

If you want to check it out, the prequel is Digital: A Love Story, which is free on the dev's site.
I wouldn't call it a prequel, there's no story connection.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

It is pretty good, it is more of a log reader than VN, definitely worth it for 2 bucks. I brought both Analogue and Hate Plus (the sequel) for $15 and didn't regret it.

grim-tales

WTF - now things are getting weird
Why does Yuka know about your dream? Maybe she had the dream too?...
Edit: Looks like I was right....

giphy.gif

grim-tales

I think that
The boy Yuka loves is really Makoto himself, or perhaps a different 'Makoto' from another time?

Yuka's ending was cute.. awww.
Starting a new route is just like with Ever 17 right? You just start a new game?
I could hear the music over the end credits, weirdly even though I couldnt hear BGM in the game.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
I think that
The boy Yuka loves is really Makoto himself, or perhaps a different 'Makoto' from another time?

Yuka's ending was cute.. awww.
Starting a new route is just like with Ever 17 right? You just start a new game?
I could hear the music over the end credits, weirdly even though I couldnt hear BGM in the game.

For most of the routes you can just reload saves at certain points in the common route to get to another route, or at least, that's what I did.

Also, on the music, have you tried using the updated PSP music files they have on the lemniscatranslations website?

grim-tales

On Haruka's route
I think:
The bell makes you travel in time, or makes you repeat events until you get them right to end up with each girl

grim-tales

Thoughts (still on Haruka's route):

I dont think anyone can time travel - I think that everyone has that cure virus so they never age and can always recover from being hurt (explains Makoto recovering in Yuka's ending and just 1 scar on Haruka's forehead from a terrible car accident) and so Makoto is somehow able to keep being tricked its April 1 all the time.
How can... Haruka be a clone of Kurumi? She looks completely different, her personality is different, Kurumi is bright and happy and talks like Elmo from Sesame Street :D Haruka is very quiet

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Thoughts (still on Haruka's route):

I dont think anyone can time travel - I think that everyone has that cure virus so they never age and can always recover from being hurt (explains Makoto recovering in Yuka's ending and just 1 scar on Haruka's forehead from a terrible car accident) and so Makoto is somehow able to keep being tricked its April 1 all the time.
How can... Haruka be a clone of Kurumi? She looks completely different, her personality is different, Kurumi is bright and happy and talks like Elmo from Sesame Street :D Haruka is very quiet

Although,
how do they end up back in their beds? Maybe it's all a giant plan to make Makoto believe he smokes?

Also, for anyone who has played Sharin no Kuni, any recommendations for best epilogue to aim for, or is the choice as unimportant as people say it is.

grim-tales

Hey,

Nearly done with
Saki's route
, which one should I do next?
Early on she did seem a bit of a bitch TBH but now I quite like her, she is hot :D And rather sweet when she's happy
Is the
Izumi Cure route
like the true ending?

My thoughts on Grisaia no Kajitsu:

Favorite girl:
Michiru by far. She was the easiest to relate to since
I've always had huge anxiety issues which often got me in the dumps.
She's also voiced by Kaori Mizuhashi. You may know her as Mami Tomoe, Oshino Ougi, Laharl, and even
Navi.
Yes, that

Favorite route:
It's hard to choose, since all of them were good. But in terms of writing: Makina. It's pretty much about
Yuuji initially training Makina into a badass, and then escaping from her evil corporate executive mother.
My main gripe with this route was Yuuji and Makina's relationship.
I didn't really feel that Yuuji was that romantically interested in Makina despite Makina plainly wanting to do him since the start of her route. Therefore, Yuuji's realization that he loves her "as a woman" felt like it came(heh-heh) out of nowhere. Also, after hooking up, does Makina get rid of her creepy "Papa" nickname for Yuuji? HELL NO! Her insistance on using it just keeps up the uncomfortable feelings.

Some other thoughts:
Kazami Yuuji is like a young Solid Snake with little experience with the non-military world. If anyone's watched Full Metal Panic, you could see him as a saner, smarter Sosuke Sagara. However, some of his means for solving the girls problems gets downright insane in a jarring way. I felt this the most in Michiru's route, when,
in her good ending, he fakes her death and buries her alive(but at least gives her the means to easily escape) to make her cope with her suicidal tendencies.
Any good psychologist would call bullshit on that approach. However, if you look at it more as Yuuji
primarily forcing Michiru to have a long talk with her other personality, it's much less stupid.

The humor is fantastic, and has a constant stream of memorable jokes and gags. Even some of the sex scenes are hilarious. Each character has their own humor style:
  • Amane is a massive horndog whose sole existence seems to revolve around screwing Yuuji.
  • Makina looks like your typical "looks like a loli but is actually the same age as other girls" type, but constantly cracks blue jokes like she were Howard Stern.
  • Michiru is a fake tsundere. Now take that in for a moment.
  • Yumiko's the true tsundere with a hybrid of Kuudere. She may look like Senjougahara Hitagi from Bakemonogatari, but she lacks the cold, calculated snarks. She's more of the sheltered princess who will cut anyone who looks at her funny.
  • Sachi... she just obeys any orders, no matter how absurd they may be.

There are two main artists who worked on it. Fumio and Akio Watanabe(Bakemonogatari, TWGOK). While Front Wing should be given credit on trying to make slightly more distinct-looking characters, Fumio's art falls mostly flat - at least with the character sprites. It's downright creepy when a character is surprised and you see their irises shrink to grotesque proportions. I felt Watanabe's designs were more fluid and expressive despite how derivative they looked(Michiru = Mayoi; Yumiko = Senjougahara).

Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives and every fan of harems, assassins, visual novels, or romance should read this. I can't wait for Meikyuu to be translated.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Hey,

Nearly done with
Saki's route
, which one should I do next?
Early on she did seem a bit of a bitch TBH but now I quite like her, she is hot :D And rather sweet when she's happy
Is the
Izumi Cure route
like the true ending?

You can only do Kurumi's route next, then you unlock Izumi, and Izumi Cure. Izumi Cure is very much just a joke route, you won't miss much by not playing it.
After Izumi's route, you should play Yuka Cure to finish off the game.

Oh happy day, I/O translation has finally been released

To people who are not aware, this is a game by Takumi Nakazawa (Director and second half of Ever17 writer's team) and Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel, parts of Rewrite).
Hopefully it's as good as Uchikoshi's after-KID work (999, VLR)

Nice. I think this will be my next VN after I'm done with Dangan Ronpa.

Oh, and apparently there's a kickstarter for Dysfunctional Systems episodes 2 and 3. I still haven't finished, but I know some people enjoyed the first episode.

aravuus

Time to check out I/O then! Sounds intriguing, going by the vndb summary

e: also tags "mystery" and "mind screw" = sold

e2: also no romance tag = double sold

holy shit 5 routes, dis gonna take a while

grim-tales

Time to check out I/O then! Sounds intriguing, going by the vndb summary

e: also tags "mystery" and "mind screw" = sold

e2: also no romance tag = double sold

holy shit 5 routes, dis gonna take a while

That does sound very interesting.. oy :D
But I'm worried I spotted spoilers in the tags.. :/

Nishastra

Banned
Oh, and apparently there's a kickstarter for Dysfunctional Systems episodes 2 and 3. I still haven't finished, but I know some people enjoyed the first episode.
Unfortunately one of the people Dischan lost in their meltdown was their artist, and the current concept art seems to completely lack the atmosphere of the original.

Still, it's not final, and every backer comment is complaining about it, so we'll just have to see where it goes...

I loved Juniper's Knot and the start of Dysfuctional Systems was also good, so I'd like to see them be able to finish it...

grim-tales

Ha ha.. I did like the referential 4th wall breaking from Makoto to Kurumi
'Where's my morning kiss? You see this kind of thing often in games right? :D

So far I think
Yuka has been the most realistic story as the relationship has built more gradually. Haruka is very quiet and can't trust people, and Saki is really the same but acts like an ass. I'd say Makoto is more like a bigger brother to Kurumi than a boyfriend, she acts too young.

Taruranto

I finished Swan Song a few days ago, and woah, this game is amazing!

It follows a few characters in a post apocalyptic setting and it's pretty much the standard post apocalyptic fair. But it takes it and takes it a whole lot further. What I really enjoyed about this game is the strong cast, they are very believable. The character development one of the characters goes through, god damn.

If you haven't played it already, I highly recommend you check it out! But be aware, this game doesn't shy away from extreme violence and even depictions of rape. Not for the faint hearted.

Now for some more in depth:

I really felt compassion for Kuwagata, his entire view of the world changed so drasticaly. I feel like the way he turned out to be is only partial his fault. The person who really set the change in motion was Nozomi. She probably couldn't help it because she became twisted too after she got raped. The two spending so much time together, one of them a rape victim and the other easily affected, not a good combination.

But one of the things I hated most is that Hibari, Yuka or even Tsugami never took the time to talk with him. He just needed someone to talk to, someone to honestly tell what he thinks of the situation they are in. Now he only vented to Nozomi, who in turn made his view even more twisted.

Oh and the "good" ending is just bullshit. Don't even try to get it unless you really can't handle the normal ending.

SS is one my favorite VN.

And yeah, the "good" ending is stupid shit.

gngf123

Unfortunately one of the people Dischan lost in their meltdown was their artist, and the current concept art seems to completely lack the atmosphere of the original.

Still, it's not final, and every backer comment is complaining about it, so we'll just have to see where it goes...

I loved Juniper's Knot and the start of Dysfuctional Systems was also good, so I'd like to see them be able to finish it...

Looks like we will be getting some revised concept art tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how different it looks after they got so many comments from people not liking the new art style.

grim-tales

Hmmm... I'm not sure
Mentioning all your other romances to another girl is such a good idea Makoto, it sounded weird not romantic.

Verelios

Just finished Higanbana first night. From that, you can really tell that R7 excels at steady characterization and long plot points. Even if they sometimes feel plodding, the journey does end in a nice payoff, which make his stories worth thinking over.

It just seemed like there wasn't enough length to do the story Justice. And with the premise, it basically became a glorified version of 101 horror stories. I hope the second night is better, all things said.

aravuus

Actually, there are 10 routes.
A, B, C, D, E, A', B', C', D', E'

Seems the prime routes are equivalent to Coco route from Ever17.

GODDAMN

I really need to find a guide or a walkthrough or something before I start. Found one in Japanese, putting it through the google translator is.. Well, better than nothing, I guess.

GODDAMN

I really need to find a guide or a walkthrough or something before I start. Found one in Japanese, putting it through the google translator is.. Well, better than nothing, I guess.

What's wrong with the walkthru that comes with the translation patch?

aravuus

What's wrong with the walkthru that comes with the translation patch?

Oh fuck

lol

Didn't even notice there was one. Thanks, that should make things easier. I read playing I/O is a bit of a pain in the ass without a walkthrough.

Some Homeland and True Detective now, a bit of gaming on the side and maybe I'll start reading after that, later this week.

grim-tales

Oh fuck

lol

Didn't even notice there was one. Thanks, that should make things easier. I read playing I/O is a bit of a pain in the ass without a walkthrough.

Some Homeland and True Detective now, a bit of gaming on the side and maybe I'll start reading after that, later this week.

Where can you get I/O from?
Do the tags in VNDB reveal so much? I could have sworn I clicked 'hide spoilers', I get paranoid about that sorta thing. Maybe theyre not really massive spoilers with no context, but still...
I need to do R11 first though and AA5, or take a break for a bit.

PKrockin

Aww yeah. AA5, DanganRonpa, I/O, Steins;Gate, DR2... these have been good times for VNs lately. Now if only we had Zero Escape 3...

inb4 Ace Attorney isn't a VN

aravuus

Where can you get I/O from?
Do the tags in VNDB reveal so much? I could have sworn I clicked 'hide spoilers', I get paranoid about that sorta thing. Maybe theyre not really massive spoilers with no context, but still...
I need to do R11 first though and AA5, or take a break for a bit.

It's possible you had accidentally clicked the show spoilers button. I always have them hidden and the tags usually just tell me a bit about the setting and general direction of the story, what kind of characters I should expect the protagonists to be and whether there's any romance involved. I've never felt spoiled about anything reading them.

But yeah, mistakes happen. Hope you didn't get too spoiled.

Knurek

But yeah, mistakes happen. Hope you didn't get too spoiled.

With Nakazawa + Tanaka at helm, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be spoiled even if he read major plot points before hand. Normal minds simply wouldn't be able to connect the fact that what they are reading can be considered spoilers.

grim-tales

Thanks :) Well, with any luck I'll forget what I read soon hopefully and yes I hope I didnt get too spoiled (Edit: its OK, it turns out I just highlighted 'Content' and thought it was spoilers as thats what they read like). Its probably fine :D

grim-tales

Hmmm...
Makoto just found a file on the Cure virus and it mentioned 'mythomania' (how people can make up stories etc) and False Memory Syndrome... weird...

I guess Ever 17 must have repeated this card game scene - Mental Guts = Super Memory = Concentration :D
How did you win the game and get all the pairs - WTF??
I think it must be because he's done it over and over for eternity so knows where the cards are.
And now Schrodingers Cat applied to a card game..? Uchikoshi does like his pseudo science...

Knurek

I/O, Route A, Cluster 01 complete.

So far, so nothing.
Seriously, I wish I could discuss anything, but there really hasn't been anything to discuss plot-wise. Some hooks, true, but that's all.
Bit tropey so far,
especially the childhood friend who has the hots for PC
OTOH, I wasn't expecting TIPS on gluons, e-paper and epic of Gilgamesh, if they are at all relevant to game's plot... Well, we're in for quite a ride.
Music is (as usual for VNs) great, BG art good, chara design is atrocious IMO. Translation is amazing, especially considering the vocabulary I suspect the game uses in original.

Will keep you posted.

aravuus

Hope it's not like Ever17, where the first couple of routes are just.. Boring as fuck.

I think I'll start it today, how long did the first route take you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom