• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English voice actor of Kiryu in Gaiden is being replaced by Youtuber Yong Yea

Draugoth

Gold Member
they-confirmed-the-english-voice-actor-of-kiryu-in-gaiden-v0-6ikndjydid7b1.png

just_jr

Can't wait for lines such as ""Heh, listen up, folks. If ya ask me, this Blizzard CEO is playin' a dangerous game. They've got more scandals than I've got tattoos, and trust me, I've got plenty. It's time for 'em to step up, take responsibility, and show some damn honor. Otherwise, they'll end up in the same gutter as those low-life thugs I've dealt with in Kamurocho."

xrnzaaas

So is Kiryu going to bore people to death by having a one hour monologue instead of saying what he wants within several sentences? ;)

Doesn't bother me one bit as long as they keep offering the original dubbing for western releases.

Last edited:

RavageX

I for one would never, ever play the series in english.

For those of you that do, reading is a good thing! But I won't knock how you prefer to play games.

I don't think companies should hire youtubers for SHIT. I also dislike how companies focus on that, provide them with freebies when they should be doing that for their actual fans.

LordCBH

I for one would never, ever play the series in english.

For those of you that do, reading is a good thing! But I won't knock how you prefer to play games.

I don't think companies should hire youtubers for SHIT. I also dislike how companies focus on that, provide them with freebies when they should be doing that for their actual fans.

If the dude was a good VA I wouldn’t have a problem with people hiring him. But he’s a fucking notoriously AWFUL VA.

Fatbody

I mean, I would never play Yakuza/Like a Dragon games in English anyway, but this is still an awful choice. I wanted to rewatch the ending of The Kaito Files a while back and got the English VO version. I believe Yong played Shirakawa and boy was it terrible. He was overly breathy and over emoting. It’s like it was performed by someone who grew up in their room watching anime and is doing an impression of a voice actor rather than just being a voice actor naturally from the real world, if that makes any sense. Kinda hard to explain.

decisions

The idea of playing one of the only games ever that has 99% of its cast depicted as realistic-looking Japanese people in a dub just seems so strange to me.

But good for people who enjoy it I guess, or need it for accessibility reasons.

Top Bottom