• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English voice actor of Kiryu in Gaiden is being replaced by Youtuber Yong Yea

Banned
english dub
ricky gervais laughing GIF

Lethal01

I for one would never, ever play the series in english.

For those of you that do, reading is a good thing! But I won't knock how you prefer to play games.

I don't think companies should hire youtubers for SHIT. I also dislike how companies focus on that, provide them with freebies when they should be doing that for their actual fans.
Playing any japanese game in English is sickening.

Lasha

I'm also surprised that the game has an English dub. Most of the entries after the PS2 were released without an English dub. Some of the better entries like Kenzan never even received an English release. I guess its good that the series is popular for a full dub. I doubt the English performances match the Japanese.

Gojiira

Banned
Kinda cringe tbh, Yong is fine for commentary but its hilarious when he criticises VA’s for lacking gravitas or delivery when he himself is pretty monotone.
Still Jap VA is the only correct choice so whatevs

nowhat

Like everyone else here, I will be playing with the original JP audio.

But good for Yong. I may not be the hugest fan of his Youtube content, but he decided he wants to be a VA and thus far, that seems to be working out.

Chechack

I for one play every game in jal dub with eng subs.

Yeap i even play diablo 4 with jalan dubs.

Liliths va is the shitttt u can feel the sensual yet terriying feel.

DeVeAn

Oh hell no! I mean I don’t really care as I’ll never play the without Japanese VO. That YouTube clown irks me though.

Soltype

I tried out the Yakuza 7 English dub and it wasn't that good. It has a 2000s anime dub vibe, all the dudes sound like they were done by the same person.

Last edited:
Imagine playing with English dub? Hah!
I remember the days when SONY used to force that or how many Western people hated Jackie Chan movies with English subs.
How times change. I'm a fan of like DVD's did back in the day, give people a choice of a language

Sometimes I rather the English voice acting over the Japanese version. This was the case for me for Snatcher, PopfuilMail, Lunar, Metal Gear Solid

Holammer

I remember the days when SONY used to force that or how many Western people hated Jackie Chan movies with English subs.
How times change. I'm a fan of like DVD's did back in the day, give people a choice of a language

Sometimes I rather the English voice acting over the Japanese version. This was the case for me for Snatcher, PopfuilMail, Lunar, Metal Gear Solid
Right, many PS3 era games often lacked the option to select language. I remember how a friend gave up on playing Ratchet and Clank: ToD because of its Swedish dub. Changing system language was a simple workaround, but having to do it every time you wanted to play was annoying.

I select Japanese 99.9% of the time, one of the few games or media where I prefer the English dub is the Tenchi Muyo OAV series. English voice actors for Ayeka and Ryoko have *way* more charm and range than the original Japanese squeaky toy voices.

Right, many PS3 era games often lacked the option to select language. I remember how a friend gave up on playing Ratchet and Clank: ToD because of its Swedish dub. Changing system language was a simple workaround, but having to do it every time you wanted to play was annoying.

I select Japanese 99.9% of the time, one of the few games or media where I prefer the English dub is the Tenchi Muyo OAV series. English voice actors for Ayeka and Ryoko have *way* more charm and range than the original Japanese squeaky toy voices.
Give people the choice. Sometimes I rather the English dub, not always but there are some games where I like the Western voice acting more, especially in the likes of MGS, Sonic Adv and Popfulmail

I feel like the minority here but I play the Yakuza games in English so.... LAD and Judgement have good dubbing at least
I felt the opposite about Judgment. It was one of the few times I felt someone should have stepped in and told the voice coach “less cartoony please”. Even though the game has it’s ridiculous moments, the Japanese voice acting tried to sound as naturalistic as possible, and the minute you would switch over to english it felt like everyone turned up the ham level to something close to 4kids.

It means that someone came into this assuming it’s “just like every other Japanese anime or video game dub” and they approached it completely wrong since the beginning.

Puscifer

Holy shit for a moment i thought they were changing the Jap va...
Who gives a fuck about the english voice?

But i heard that guy before, not sure if i approve the choice anyway, i hardly imagine him showing any kind of machismo in his voice.
That's the beauty of a voice actor though isn't it? Troy Baker looks like a pretty boy and was a man's man playing Joel.

Stafford

Good for him, sounds like a incredibly cool thing to be part of.

That being said, hell no to dubs. I've seen a trailer of LAD in English and if I ever had any doubt how horrible it would be, I was cured of that doubt. Jesus. Same as watching anime with dubs. Atrocious.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Other than the first game on PS2, I don't remember any of these even having English dubs.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Real Yakuzas play using Jap VA.

Now seriously, the guy is a voice actor himself so whatever, it's not like they're putting a rookie influencer just for sales, they're literally putting a voice acting professional in the role.

ssringo

I quite liked Yakuza 7 with English VO. Thought it was pretty good and the lip sync was on point. But was super weird hearing legacy Yakuza characters in English.

Top Bottom