• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough with this cinematic gameplay bs

Do you like to play cinematic "gameplay" sections?

• Yes, I like those parts

• No, they should be skippable

Results are only viewable after voting.

MiguelItUp

I don't mind it when the cinematic portions are MUCH less than the gameplay portions. RDR2 had a lot, sure, but the gameplay felt like there was much more than that. However, in GoW: Ragnarok, by the time I beat it I felt like I watched a lot more than I played. Which wasn't a great feeling at all.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don't mind it when the cinematic portions are MUCH less than the gameplay portions. RDR2 had a lot, sure, but the gameplay was much more than that. However, in GoW: Ragnarok, by the time I beat it I felt like I watched a lot more than I played. Which wasn't a great feeling at all.

Which is just ridiculous because the game can take you between 30 to 40 hours easily, and there’s no way you spend more time watching than playing like absolutely no way.

Takes like yours are absurd. RDR2 has way more cutscenes than Ragnarok too.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Which is just ridiculous because the game can take you between 30 to 40 hours easily, and there’s no way you spend more time watching than playing like absolutely no way.

Takes like yours are absurd. RDR2 has way more cutscenes than Ragnarok too.
Right, it's just my opinion. Keyword is "felt", I said Ragnarok FELT like it had more cutscenes then gameplay by the end of it. Not comparing which had more than the other. Could've been for a number of reasons TBH, but that's how it felt to me by the time it wrapped up, and I know I wasn't alone in that.

I think RDR2's open world gameplay maybe made me feel like it contained less, especially since I dabbled in the game outside of the main quest line, which also made it feel less cutscene-y.

Last edited:
i skip cutscenes if im unsure about the gameplay.

not a fan of "cinematic gameplay" because your movement is restricted. hate that.
and what do you get in return? dialogue.
hooray.
it's a poor man's cutscene.

simpatico

It can be done well. I enjoyed most of it in RDR2 and some of it in Dad of War 1. I'm pretty picky when it comes to these. If it's anything other than fire, it's shit. Not much room for error.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Thread aged like fine milk.
GTAVI now at 85M views.
I’d say the people have spoken.
I didn't say anything about Gta. I like running over pedestrians while driving to missions. Driving is fun in that game. And those sections are quite short compared to my examples.

Btw I'm going through the second Athreus part, wish me luck guys.

bitbydeath

I didn't say anything about Gta. I like running over pedestrians while driving to missions. Driving is fun in that game. And those sections are quite short compared to my examples.

Btw I'm going through the second Athreus part, wish me luck guys.
GTA is an extremely cinematic game though, maybe not as heavy as say Metal Gear Solid, but it is certainly up there, and you did mention Rockstar directly in the OP.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
GTA is an extremely cinematic game though, maybe not as heavy as say Metal Gear Solid, but it is certainly up there, and you did mention Rockstar directly in the OP.
GTA mostly uses cutscenes to tell its story, much like Metal Gear, and I'm not against that. I mentioned Rockstar's name while discussing RDR 2, their latest game. Having fewer in-car conversations in GTA would be better for me, but it's still much better than RDR 2 in that regard (driving a car instead of holding a button).

I want to reiterate that I like these games and got hyped for GTA 6. I just don't want to hold the left stick up to walk slowly behind an NPC while listening to some uninteresting story parts (they usually save the best moments for cutscenes). I could give so many examples of this, but I don't want to stir the pot again lol.

Top Bottom