• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough with this cinematic gameplay bs

Do you like to play cinematic "gameplay" sections?

• Yes, I like those parts

• No, they should be skippable

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I remember playing uncharted 4 and just dropped it because nothing happened for literal hours; the most fun I had playing UC4 was that part where you get to play crash bandicoot.
Maybe the game picks up when you're a couple hours in, but I'll never know because of it's insanely shit pacing.

I'm playing Gow Ragnarok and currently riding with this AngryYoda atm. I mean, what is this? Why am I playing a part should've been a skippable cutscene for one hour(maybe more on the way?)? What's the point? Immersion? It's bs.

Rockstar does the same thing. Half of the gameplay in RDR 2 involves talking while on horseback.

This needs to stop.
Well...

Some mofos bitched and moaned about cutscenes, shouting that everything should be playable in games.

So yeah, this is their cumuppance. Walking sections, boat sections, half-life-esque "lock the player in a room while an NPC talks his ear off"... these are all the price we all pay for the incessant bitching of the "I hate cutscenes (even skippable ones)" crowd.

Fuck em, I say.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have to disagree with you. The point is Nemesis is a formidable monster and he is after Jill like the Terminator. It makes sense at the beginning because Jill has no way to fight back. Chase sequences get the blood pumping, while walk and talks act as a gatekeeper of gameplay segments. However, chase sequences cannot be too long and require a breather to recharge focus. RE3R is perfection.
It's not about not being able to fight back, that's just setting the scene for those that don't know the game.

I might even agree with you had they picked a lane. You want an explosive chase scene? Cool, hit the ground running. You want to be cinematic and show Nemesis smashing walls and floors? Cool, I get to skip it. But I don't think there's anything tense about running forward for <5 seconds multiple times, personally. It's a glorified cutscene, and on repeat playthroughs it's the most frustratingly boring part of any run for me.

I'll even go so far as to throw in MGS5's opening mission and anything like it elsewhere that forces a slow, staggering limp. Just let me skip the part when my controls don't do what they're supposed to and let me play, that's the common issue I have with this sort of thing. To me they're all examples of letting you half-play a game. I don't want to half-play, I want to either play or not.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Not really, even games like GT7 and Forza has these long winded un skippable long opening cutscenes the first time you boot them open.

But there was soo many games this year with long winded openings that I nearly just didn’t bother. Spider-Man 2 was most recent. Starfield, Diablo 4.., FF16 just kept get worse as the game went on. 😵‍💫 hell even Pikmin 4 had a long drawn out intro that I did just turn it off the first time I played it.

Games used to have a very short opening cutscene then you were playing. I really miss that. If I wanted to watch movies I’d rather go the theater.
Add Remnant 2 to that list. I barely finished my 30 rounds of ammunition after 2 hours.
Did you just play the opening and quit like a wuss to go cry on a message board?
I only cried/got emotional at the end:messenger_winking:

I’m totally fine with them if they don’t take too long. And I mean not longer than 3 mins.

Not like TLOUp2, where I was rubbing my hands because I had a free hour to play the game and then I was stuck in some fucking flashback scene with Joel and Elly exploring an old museum for 20 minutes..
I thought I would be shooting stuff!

Topher

Gold Member
I’m totally fine with them if they don’t take too long. And I mean not longer than 3 mins.

Not like TLOUp2, where I was rubbing my hands because I had a free hour to play the game and then I was stuck in some fucking flashback scene with Joel and Elly exploring an old museum for 20 minutes..
I thought I would be shooting stuff!

I loved TLOU 2, but yeah, I could have gone without that segment.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
To me, this is a case of too many modern games industry workers being diversity hires or talentless SJW hacks. They see something that worked in GOTY 20XX and think that the key to making the next best title is....making the last title. It's imitation without understanding of what made those parts unique or engaging where they first appeared.

I think basically every gameplay section or element has the potential for the best and worst reception. Tools are just tools after all. We don't commonly say "I'm so sick of wood and stone, ALL houses are built that way," because raw building blocks are only as functional or useless as the carpenter.

Killjoy-NL

Sure, keeps the game focused.

Being able to walk around and do random stuff while someone is talking to you is retarded.
At least, in story-driven games.

It depends on the game though, obviously.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I recently played TLOU DLC and damn was it boring, it was so boring I can't believe the game is so highly regarded, I only finished it because of story and because I needed to uninstall from my drive but I had enough of walking and talking.

I've played so many soulslikes in recent years that I have too little tolerance to games talking to me so much, I actually got mad at HZD recently because of that, they talk for toooooo long and when you think conversation ended, another character comes in and conversation continues, then you have to talk to someone else somewhere else to finally continue the quest you're doing, ffs, who really think that's entertaining?

It's boring, they can have story and dialogs but they give them waaaaay too much importance and space within the experience, like if they were trying to distract me from gameplay issues out something but just make it worse.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
"That's why I preffer Elden Ring/Souls games". Sure, but no one gives a shit about these games stories.
It's the waifus man, the waifus
They make us care about their safety and actually pay attention so that we can make the right choices to save them in the end

uwu

roderika.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally vastly prefer well made cutscenes because if you don’t like them or on your second playthrough you can just skip them but with “cinematic” slow walk you can’t and just have to suffer through them….to me it’s not immersive, it just annoying.

I feel some of these devs who make “cinematic” games wanted to become movie director rather than game designers.

Last edited:
I'm playing Gow Ragnarok and currently riding with this AngryYoda atm. I mean, what is this? Why am I playing a part should've been a skippable cutscene for one hour(maybe more on the way?)? What's the point? Immersion? It's bs.

Rockstar does the same thing. Half of the gameplay in RDR 2 involves talking while on horseback.

This needs to stop.
Umm no. Plenty of games without cinematic stuff. Plenty. And so we get many that also have it. It's called balance. The world doesn't need to cave in to your worldview.

Last edited:
I love stories in games when they are well executed but I have to agree with some extent, at the end of the day I want to play, not watch cutscenes after cutscenes

Raonak

Banned
I like em. If I'm playing a game with a story then great!

If I wanted to play a game with minimal story, I would.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
RDR2 had great characters and a great overarching narrative. 99% of games with slow walk and chats do not have these things. Also RDR2 has the best open world of all time to dick around with if you wanna take a break from the cinematics. Games like GoW use slow walk and chats and infantile puzzles to break up the straight line of combat encounters. The end result is weird pacing and a boring game that I will never replay.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I dont mind them during my first playthrough, but not being able to skip them on replays is awful

A cutscene doesnt replace those cinematic sequences. If you think so, you're an idiot.

Imagine having John Marston sacrifice at the end of RDR being a cutscene, or so many sequences from the Uncharted series and etc.

"That's why I preffer Elden Ring/Souls games". Sure, but no one gives a shit about these games stories.

The cinematic walk has its purpose, but they should always, always be skippable in replays.

I would never replay Ragnarok.
No one cares about From’s stories but they can shit out a turd and it’s still more riveting than trite like ‘muh Sam’ and ‘muh Atreus’.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

This needs to stop.
I used to like... dont know if now its too much or my patience has run out ... or the scripts are worst... but yeah, cant stomach cinematic anymore, I think a big part of it is the writing quality and priorities has gone down the drain

Last edited:

Hugare

giphy.gif

speak for yourself, I care about story in Elden Ring and recent Armored Core VI faaaaaaaaaar more than I ever did with GOWR.
I was obviously not talking about every person on this rock. There will always be someone who enjoys something, no matter now niche it is (I'm not saying that ER is niche, but liking its story certainly is)

But I bet that more than 80% of the people that played Elden Ring knew shit about what was going on.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cinematic pieces are having their moment especially uncharted, god of war, I like the interactive moments.

SenkiDala

This needs to stop.
It shouldn't be skippable, if you don't like this type of game just don't play them it's alright. The artists being this game decided it has to be like this, it is a part of the game, if you don't like it : play other games. Everything doesn't have to be for everybody. I hate "crafting games" or moba games, I don't play them.

Danjin44

I was obviously not talking about every person on this rock. There will always be someone who enjoys something, no matter now niche it is.

But I bet that more than 80% of the people that played Elden Ring knew shit about what was going on.
Because games like Elden Ring give you choice if you want to engage with the story or not, it’s up to you.

it also type of game you play multiple times so you don’t go through forces slow walk cinematic BS.

Yoboman

Because games like Elden Ring give you choice if you want to engage with the story or not, it’s up to you.

it also type of game you play multiple times so you don’t go through forces slow walk cinematic BS.
I would love to engage with a narrative in Elden Ring. There is next to nothing to engage with. Exploring item descriptions to deepen the lore is poor story telling

Danjin44

I would love to engage with a narrative in Elden Ring. There is next to nothing to engage with. Exploring item descriptions to deepen the lore is poor story telling
I personally take the way Elden Ring tells its story way more than how GOWR does…..All that build toward Ragnarök in amount to NOTHING and the whole plot about mask and all Atreus part we suffer through for the mask turns out NOTHING….NOTHING AT ALL……is that your idea of great story telling?

mdkirby

I like them. I play games for a good story, and a world I can lose myself in for a while. Once the story is done I never touch the game again. Those sections are often important for telling stories and better than just a cutscene. That said, I found god of war just kinda meh, and it wasn’t handled well, red dead was great tho and the way they handled things in that felt very natural. If u just want mindless pew pew with no story there’s games like fortnight and cod, no need to change and ruin games for others that do choose to have a strong focus on narrative…there’s tons of games these days 🤷‍♂️

Yoboman

I personally take the way Elden Ring tells its story way more than how GOWR does…..All that build toward Ragnarök in amount to NOTHING and the whole plot about mask and all Atreus part we suffer through for the mask turns out NOTHING….NOTHING AT ALL……is that your idea of great story telling?
God of War is part of a far grander narrative spanning multiple mythologies. Whether that mask plays a role in future or not will be seen later

You can enjoy what you want, you also need to realise tons of people far prefer the way Ragnarok tells it's story and the type of game like Ragnarok is getting rarer and rarer

Top Bottom