• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Publishing Presents: Remedy Entertainment

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Earlier this year, we announced Remedy Entertainment was to be among the first developers to join us on our Epic Games Publishing journey. This month, this legendary studio that grew from the demo scene out of Finland turned 25.

Fbh

Highly overrated studio IMO.

I personally wouldn't call them highly overrated, but IMO ever since Max Payne 2 they've sort of struggled to make another big hit. I enjoy their modern games but they all feel like they aren't quite there at the "top tier" quality. It''s a studio that has never made a game I dislike, but has also never made a game I'd consider putting in my top 10 (or top 20) of favorites.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Highly overrated studio IMO.
BvYPTJf.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The Max Payne are all time greats. Those were followed up by the middling Alan Wake and subpar expansion, then the below average Quantum Break and lastly a good game in Control. I guess their arrow is pointing in the right direction but I find it hard to get excited when they announce something these days.
Control is best game this gen, period. Gampleay is king and Control with physics and all that shit absolutely dominates everything else. And fuck Ashtray maze, talk about subverting expectation, it was massive possitive suprise for me and I don't think that this gen I was suddenly so hyped. Maybe FH3...

I honestly don't care about Wake and Quantum Break tho. Max Payne, well that's classic. Not sure where is Max Payne IV for fuck sake.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Control is such a good, satisfying gameplay loop. It's just fun to play. One of the most "fun" games this gen along with Spider-Man. That doesn't necessarily make it a more impactful overall experience than something like God of War or Witcher 3 but the core mechanics and loop are impeccable.

Rikkori

I enjoyed Max Payne 2 most of all, what a fantastic game that was! Recently between QB & Control I choose QB because I much preferred the story telling, the world and the characters of it even though on the gameplay side it was worse. I think there was a lot more potential to it than was realised & obviously we will never get a sequel now, but I think they can still do something in that vein again. Plus, I think people really underestimate how difficult it is to actually push an even somewhat coherent story about time-travel or keep the writing at a good level for the duration while wrestling with the concept.

Control I loved at the beginning but the more I played it the less I liked it, the gameplay became more of a burden & an annoyance which is precisely what carries it (and therefore doesn't) and the story is just 'ehhh', they try to be weird for the sake of weird but it gets boring after the first few times and too expected. Honestly, if not for RTX I don't think people would pay so much attention to it for this long. And the Ashtray Maze unfortunately isn't that good imo. I understand what they were going for but the illusion gets dispelled too quickly & the rest of the gameplay for the section is same ol' same ol' but laid bare. It's the exact sort of sequence I WANT to love & get hyped for but just can't. And ofc in the end the DLC was a clear disappointment, I don't think that has much defenders.

The good thing is that with a bigger budget they can work on all that & overall the game was still decent and a step in the right direction for the company. At a business level they're finally getting their production issues under control (heh) so they don't just take forever and risk bankruptcy, and at a gaming level they pushed gameplay first which was the exact right move to do after QB and how much it was a weakness for that game, and the other rough spots can be worked on & polished.

I think the future's looking bright for Remedy.

Keihart

I hope the fortnite fad dies and the fortnite money dries up with it.
I mean, the alternative is that money going either to some bigg MMO or to more micro transactions in gacha like games. At least EPIC is throwing that money onto some risky indie games instead of using it in something smart.

Top Bottom