• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

Phase

This week it's Windbound.

windshit.png

Of course...

Fbh

Is the Epic launcher painfully slow to boot up games for everyone?
I'm playing Shadow of the Tomb raider but it takes like 4 minutes to even boot up, the fucking fans on my laptop seem to run 2X as fast booting up the epic games store than actually running the game.

WTF.

Phase

Is the Epic launcher painfully slow to boot up games for everyone?
I'm playing Shadow of the Tomb raider but it takes like 4 minutes to even boot up, the fucking fans on my laptop seem to run 2X as fast booting up the epic games store than actually running the game.

WTF.
All three of the free TR games loaded quickly for me while playing them from the Epic launcher, but I'm using a very fast internal ssd. Here's a helpful post I found on steam discussions.

"It's something on your system. Maybe HD failure, file fragmentation, Antivirus interfering with loading, background utility/program running, or viruses/spyware.
-HD failure, replace hard drive or move game to an external HD to test.
-File fragmentation, use a file defrag program.
-Antivirus interference, temporarily disable real-time protection and test game.
-Background utility, run msconfig, uncheck all startup items, reboot and test game. Renable startup items one at a time to see which ones caused issue.
-Virus, run an antivirus other than the current one installed (since it obviously didn't detect it). I use Eset's free online scanner.
But it may be nothing more than you are trying to game with Intel HD graphics card. That card can only handle smaller indie titles, or old AAA titles and is well under minimum requirements for most new AAA titles out today."

Here's the link to the steam page. Maybe it can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Nickolaidas

Has anyone Downloded Daemon X Machina?
Game is only letting me choose between a res of 800X600 or 1280X720...what?
Not entirely sure why this happens, but there are some games that when I run for the first time and go to settings, they only go up to 1080p. I change the resolution to 1080p, then I quit the game. Then I restart it. And then the display options can go up to native 4K.

Daemon X Machina is one of those games.

Choose the maximum resolution it allows you to (on Fullscreen), save the change on Display Settings, quit the game, restart it, then go to Display and see if better options are now available to you.

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

All three of the free TR games loaded quickly for me while playing them from the Epic launcher, but I'm using a very fast internal ssd. Here's a helpful post I found on steam discussions.

"It's something on your system. Maybe HD failure, file fragmentation, Antivirus interfering with loading, background utility/program running, or viruses/spyware.
-HD failure, replace hard drive or move game to an external HD to test.
-File fragmentation, use a file defrag program.
-Antivirus interference, temporarily disable real-time protection and test game.
-Background utility, run msconfig, uncheck all startup items, reboot and test game. Renable startup items one at a time to see which ones caused issue.
-Virus, run an antivirus other than the current one installed (since it obviously didn't detect it). I use Eset's free online scanner.
But it may be nothing more than you are trying to game with Intel HD graphics card. That card can only handle smaller indie titles, or old AAA titles and is well under minimum requirements for most new AAA titles out today."

Here's the link to the steam page. Maybe it can help.

Thx.
Going to check it out, though I'm pretty sure it's an issue between my computer and the Epic games store because Steam/GOG games load instantly.

It's the same if I just want to open the launcher. Steam/GOG galaxy do so instantly.
Epic gives me a grey screen with loading bar at the bottom for a couple of minutes, and then when it finally opens it feels really unresponsive.

My laptop is dated but it still has an SSD, 16gb of ram, a 1050ti and an i7. It shouldn't feel like it's needing all it's processing power to open a freaking launcher.

I think once I'm done with tomb raider I'll uninstall the launcher and see if a fresh install works better,.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Thx.
Going to check it out, though I'm pretty sure it's an issue between my computer and the Epic games store because Steam/GOG games load instantly.

It's the same if I just want to open the launcher. Steam/GOG galaxy do so instantly.
Epic gives me a grey screen with loading bar at the bottom for a couple of minutes, and then when it finally opens it feels really unresponsive.

My laptop is dated but it still has an SSD, 16gb of ram, a 1050ti and an i7. It shouldn't feel like it's needing all it's processing power to open a freaking launcher.

I think once I'm done with tomb raider I'll uninstall the launcher and see if a fresh install works better,.

Maybe this could help. And someone said that you can close epic after game started but i didn't try that.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any good?
It's got some unique visuals and some interesting game mechanics. It's obviously an homage to old school JRPGs (mainly Chrono Trigger), but unfortunately it gets really bogged down with minutia to the point that it becomes extremely tedious, especially late game. Only the most hardcore of JRPG fans will really enjoy it, but those are mostly the type of people who would rather be playing something else. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not for everyone. But the price is right - so I'd say give it a go if you're maybe on the fence.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Next week is Cities: Skylines (another repeat)

Kazza

Wow, Total War: Warhammer is the first big title in a while! Not bad at all this week (oh, and that other game :messenger_beaming: )

jshackles

does anyone know if i can share games on the same Pc ( different Epic games account ), my gf wants to play Tomb raider but on her own account ...
If she missed the giveaway on her account, then she would either have to play it on your account or buy the game on hers

myfriendtim

T-Cake

Does anybody have the link to a Google Sheets file which lists of all of Epic's exclusivity deals and their possible end dates? I used to have it but changed browser and lost it. Ta.

Sentenza

XCOM 2 is a MUST HAVE, especially with the almost mandatory War of the Chosen expansion.

As I pointed several times in the past, it's a serious contender as my persona game of the decade and one of my all-time favorites:

Incidentally, getting both vanilla game and expansion on the EGS will cost you 10 bucks, so you are arguably better getting the Steam version of both on CDkeys.com for 12 bucks AND get the Steam Workshop support for mods in the process.

Kazza

XCOM 2 is a MUST HAVE, especially with the almost mandatory War of the Chosen expansion.

As I pointed several times in the past, it's a serious contender as my persona game of the decade and one of my all-time favorites:

Incidentally, getting both vanilla game and expansion on the EGS will cost you 10 bucks, so you are arguably better getting the Steam version of both on CDkeys.com for 12 bucks AND get the Steam Workshop support for mods in the process.

Is Xcom 2 still fun to play without any expansions? The only Xcom game I ever played was the original one back in the 90s(00s?). I liked it, but is was very hard! Then again I was pretty young then, I have more patience now.

Kazza

It is, but it's the difference between a reasonably good game and a modern classic.
The expansion doesn't just add more stuff, it also revamps a lot of core mechanics for the better.

Thanks. Since I got the base game for free anyway, I suppose I shouldn't mind paying for the expansion (oh no, now I see Epic's little trick, it looks like Tom Sweeny got me! :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Man, I hate so fucking much their shitty captcha. Like you need any more reason to hate their store.

That's weird, I snag the free games all the time and have never had it do a captcha on me. Are you going through the EGS app or via the web? (perhaps they don't even have a web version, I've never checked)

Fuz

Banned
That's weird, I snag the free games all the time and have never had it do a captcha on me. Are you going through the EGS app or via the web? (perhaps they don't even have a web version, I've never checked)
Web. While I do have the EGS installed, for some weird reason, I think I haven't launched/updated it in the last 5 years at least.

Edit: Oh wait, I remembered. I never finished Shadow Complex - that's why the EGS it's been installed and forgotten since forever.

Last edited:

Duchess

I feel like I'm the only person who absolutely loved the original Enemy Unknown (1994 game), but hated both X-COM and X-COM 2. They both felt like inferior games.

Top Bottom