• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

Fbh

This shitty store keeps logging me out, and I fucking hate the stupid annoying forced 2FA.

I don't know what it is about every fucking store except Steam and GOG that keeps logging me out.
Epic, PSN (on browser and the app), Uplay, Origin, etc.

I use the same device on the same connection in the same location and every other week these stores are like
29d.jpg

Last edited:
It took me about 3 hours of trying to log into the store, and once I got in it wouldn't let me buy all three Tomb Raider games at once using the shopping cart. Had to buy each one individually, which took multiple tries as well.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is the list of games they gave away...
December 16th – Shenmue III
December 17th – Neon Abyss
December 18th – Remnant from the Ashes
December 19th – Vanishing of Ethan Carter
December 20th – Loop Hero
December 21st – Second Extinction
December 22nd – Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden
December 23rd – Vampyr
December 24th – Pathfinder Kingmaker
December 25th – Prey
December 26th – Control
December 27th – Mages of Mystralia
December 28th – Moving Out
December 29th – Salt and Sanctuary
December 30th – Tomb Raider trilogy
Of these games, Shenmue III, Neon Abyss, Remnant from the Ashes, Loop Hero, Second Extinction, Mutant Year Zero, Vampyr, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Control, and Rise of the Tomb Raider can be used on GeForce Now. I have ~180 games on EGS and of those there's about 67 games you can use on GFN. One of the reasons it's worth claiming all these free titles. Although you have to search 'Epic Games' on GFN, sort alphabetical, cross-reference them with your EGS library, and add them manually. It took me around 30min.

Laptop1991

I got them but it took a while, something went wrong a lot, logged out then back in, even went into a foreign language at one point, reminds of the days when Steam sales were like this at the beginning, being overloaded, the Epic launcher isn't good!.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it already the last game we get? I thought we got new until January 6 :(
The sale is active until Jan 6th, but that's the last of the daily free games - just back to weekly again now.

SSfox

So either they give meh game or great games that everyone played/bought already. Yikes.

Well how about now trying to create new games with all that Fortnite Money? It's hard to believe that those are the same that created Gears Of War 1,2,3, and J. EG used to be something tbh.

kingfey

Banned
So either they give meh game or great games that everyone played/bought already. Yikes.

Well how about now trying to create new games with all that Fortnite Money? It's hard to believe that those are the same that created Gears Of War 1,2,3, and J. EG used to be something tbh.
Control and Shenmue 3 makes it good. Especially control, which they did 2nd giveaway again.

BlackM1st

Banned

PS Plus was just as bad for me this year lol The price I pay for being a day 0 buyer of most games I'm even slightly interested in. Still, free is free. Unlike PS Plus >_>
And when it logs...
Timmy-Tencent.jpg

Good job there, timmy tencent.

3 Tomb Rider games man. THREE!

Well how about now trying to create new games with all that Fortnite Money?

Genshin Impact killer? Yes please. Unfortunately I doubt it.

It's hard to believe that those are the same that created Gears Of War 1,2,3, and J. EG used to be something tbh.
Well... I still remember how fun Unreal Tournament was. Why not revive it?

Overall was a very weak giveaway. Probably good for the younger audience, similar to MS pass, but ultimately I didn't cared about any of those games. Maybe will play Control. Still yet to play it after getting it the 1st time lol

SSfox

PS Plus was just as bad for me this year lol The price I pay for being a day 0 buyer of most games I'm even slightly interested in. Still, free is free. Unlike PS Plus >_>

3 Tomb Rider games man. THREE!

Genshin Impact killer? Yes please. Unfortunately I doubt it.

Well... I still remember how fun Unreal Tournament was. Why not revive it?

Overall was a very weak giveaway. Probably good for the younger audience, similar to MS pass, but ultimately I didn't cared about any of those games. Maybe will play Control. Still yet to play it after getting it the 1st time lol

I've played around 2 or 3 free games in my 6 years PS+ subscription, i sub for online play mainly tbh, if it was just free games i wouldn't have subbed to PS+ (i was never ps+ during PS3 era)

Also the TR games were 5 bucks since a while many times in sales, and i don't play on PC but if i would do so i wouldn't play into their shitty platform. It would probably be something like Steam.

No Epic can't make something like GI, but they made Geow, an awesome game in another genre, one of the best TPS and atmosphere ever, but those guys are nobody anymore i guess except for Fortnite stans, only sells skins in Fortnite and give free games in their store so they may look good to naïve people.

Tams

Everybody got their free Tomb Raider Trilogy?

Unfortunately I can't play it anytime soon. Waiting to see what AMD announce at CES before jumping on a new gaming laptop (sorry, no, I don't have room for desktop in my life, as much as I'd like one).

I've played around 2 or 3 free games in my 6 years PS+ subscription, i sub for online play mainly tbh, if it was just free games i wouldn't have subbed to PS+ (i was never ps+ during PS3 era)

Also the TR games were 5 bucks since a while many times in sales, and i don't play on PC but if i would do so i wouldn't play into their shitty platform. It would probably be something like Steam.

No Epic can't make something like GI, but they made Geow, an awesome game in another genre, one of the best TPS and atmosphere ever, but those guys are nobody anymore i guess except for Fortnite stans, only sells skins in Fortnite and give free games in their store so they may look good to naïve people.
Mate, they are a company, not someone trying to be your friend.

They are giving away free games to 'look good' yes, but really it's about just getting people to actually load up the Epic Games Store. And any company that ever wanted to compete with Valve had to pretty much do what they are doing. There's no other way that gamers would bother moving over. See GOG for where being the 'good guy' gets you.

Fredrik

They are giving away free games to 'look good' yes, but really it's about just getting people to actually load up the Epic Games Store. And any company that ever wanted to compete with Valve had to pretty much do what they are doing. There's no other way that gamers would bother moving over. See GOG for where being the 'good guy' gets you.
Why do we have to move over? I’m not going to start buying everything on EGS just because they’re giving me games.
And GOG still has it’s purpose too for older games, just bought Gabriel Knight for $3.5.

Tams

Why do we have to move over? I’m not going to start buying everything on EGS just because they’re giving me games.
And GOG still has it’s purpose too for older games, just bought Gabriel Knight for $3.5.

You don't.

But why do you have to stay with Steam/Valve? A self-imposed monopoly is just stupid. But hey, I'll just enjoy getting my games at the prices I decide is best for me. And on PC if that's on the EGS, so be it. Whereas on Switch I accept that Nintendo don't want to devalue their games and so I either buy them or I don't.

If you haven't heard, GOG are losing a lot of money. Part of that is due to PC gamers being too cheap at times.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm sad. I like downloading games like this just to see how my newish non gaming laptop (i5 11th gen Intel Iris XE) runs Rise of the Tomb Raider. And I will play it despite having it on XSX and PS5.

Fredrik

You don't.

But why do you have to stay with Steam/Valve? A self-imposed monopoly is just stupid. But hey, I'll just enjoy getting my games at the prices I decide is best for me. And on PC if that's on the EGS, so be it. Whereas on Switch I accept that Nintendo don't want to devalue their games and so I either buy them or I don't.

If you haven't heard, GOG are losing a lot of money. Part of that is due to PC gamers being too cheap at times.
For me it’s never about moving over or staying, I’m using all store fronts, I have more games on Steam than EGS but my GOG library is big too.
I mostly use Steam because it’s what I started with, and it works well, plus soon I want my library on Steam Deck. But when I get free games on EGS I gladly play there and when there is a Gamepass version I play through Windows store.

As for your closing comment, PC Gamer or console gamer, everybody is cheap when there is an option to be that. On consoles people do region swapping to use pricing errors and game sharing and prepay and stack Live subs to get Gamepass cheaper. And on PC there is the free EGS games and big sales.

Wildebeest

Epic takes a smaller cut of the sales but also gives out games on their store for free, which could be said to "spoil the market" for new game releases. I think GOG takes the same cut as Steam but makes publishers do more work than Valve to get their money. I see in the sales that Steam games often get a bigger discount that GOG games, so publishers seem to think they know where their bread is buttered. GOG is a better deal for single player game buyers, though, as they offer DRM free downloads for offline backup alongside their download manager version.

somehow i don't think people would be saying stupid shit like this if it were Valve. y'know...the same that created Portal, Half Life, Left For Dead, Team Fortress, Counter Strike. Alright, we got Alyx and some DOTA spin offs (Underlords/Artifact) but they were failures or not that big and targeting a small market (VR). Valve hasn't put out anything meaningful since CS:GO in 2012 or DOTA2 in 2013. Valve used to be something tbh.

if you don't want the free games then don't redeem them. Yikes. Just like Valve, Epic don't really need to worry about making new games. They are raking in the $ and giving people free games to tempt people to use their store. Also, they just so happen to make one of the most popular gaming engines (Unreal) of all time so they will be making some good money off that. Why spend millions on making a game for a small return when you can get a cut from hundreds/thousands of games that other people make? I mean, that's exactly what Valve is doing. They are making money off games sold on Steam.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wonder if epic does get a deal with "xx estimated free downloads" they pay for, and can do reruns if the estimate of free claims didn't hit the cap.

Otherwise I don't get their crappg reruns by now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Next week is Daemon X Machina

Hell Yeah Gets Excited High Kick GIF

Fbh

Has anyone Downloded Daemon X Machina?
Game is only letting me choose between a res of 800X600 or 1280X720...what?

Top Bottom