• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

Fuz

Banned
I can't get over its graphics.
svej4.gif

Fuz

Banned

I haven't signed into it yet and im about to on my gaming PC and claim the freebie...or you guys saying they gave away all 3 of the mostrecent Tomb Raider games or just the last one?

I grabbed all three, but in my library all 3 of them show as "Unavailable". If I go back to try to claim them again, they all say that they are in my library.

JLGwYea.png

I appreciate the free games, but man, the Epic games store is shit. At least they finally added a cart I guess.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nice triple giveaway to end the year. I enjoyed the first game, but haven't played Rise and Shadow. It looks like the 20 Year Celebration has the DLC included? That would be Cold Darkness Awakened, Baba Yaga: Temple of the Witch, and Blood Ties(non-combat?). Plus a survival mode and a bunch of cosmetics.

I just counted up my free Epic collection... a total of 241 free games and I've never even added my card details to my account yet(some of the games were free prime giveaways though).
Wow, that's amazing. I finally decided to see how many I have claimed, and I thought my 132 was a lot.

It will be interesting to see if this all pays off for Epic in the long run - have we ever heard anything about sales numbers for the Epic store?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, that's amazing. I finally decided to see how many I have claimed, and I thought my 132 was a lot.

It will be interesting to see if this all pays off for Epic in the long run - have we ever heard anything about sales numbers for the Epic store?
I've said for years that any potential serious Steam competitor will have to address the issue of everyone already having huge Steam libraries. GOG tried their way (GOG Connect, which was good for about six months) that just straight up gave you DRM free versions of games you already owned on Steam. But their program was limited to just certain games, and those games had to also be on GOG, so it never really helped too many people transition their digital libraries there. Without something like these free games the only customers they can hope to attract away from Steam will be with either exclusivity deals, insane prices, coupons, or new players / young people who don't already have a preference.

Epic is playing the long game here. For someone like me, they're never going to have a huge percentage of stuff from my Steam library of 4,000+ games. But a lot of that is bundle trash and I might have about 400-500 "good" games on Steam. With these Epic giveaways, my library there is well past the half way mark of the good games I have on Steam. Quite a few are duplicates (like today's Tomb Raider games) but that's okay because like GOG Connect it helps diversify my library there and homogenize it with what I have on Steam.

It's working, at least on me. It's taken them a few years, but I've made a few purchases there and will likely make more. Their $10 coupon certainly helps swing things in their favor, since a lot of these same games are on sale on Steam for the same price meaning Epic is $10 less.

bargeparty

can't believe they're never going to release the 2013 definitive edition on pc. console has terrible camera shake you can't disable.

MacReady13

Not too sure if I feel quite right claiming these games as i'm told they objectify women... Might skip on this one guys. Yikes!

Nah fuck it, I have them on my PS4 but I'm grabbing them on PC for sure!

Cryio

Shadow has ray traced shadows and DLSS BTW.
Rise has now DLSS too. Unfortunately it still has VXAO available only in DX11 and on Maxwell and newer GPUs, no AMD support for it.

Both Rise and Shadow got some DX12 fixes too, so that's great for everyone all around.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Tried new DLSS out in shadow of the tomb raider and dam dat performance increase from 55 fps to 93fps on quality 3440x1440.

If only that lazy ass shit company updated ff15 with dlss 2.0

Last edited:
I've said for years that any potential serious Steam competitor will have to address the issue of everyone already having huge Steam libraries. GOG tried their way (GOG Connect, which was good for about six months) that just straight up gave you DRM free versions of games you already owned on Steam. But their program was limited to just certain games, and those games had to also be on GOG, so it never really helped too many people transition their digital libraries there. Without something like these free games the only customers they can hope to attract away from Steam will be with either exclusivity deals, insane prices, coupons, or new players / young people who don't already have a preference.

Epic is playing the long game here. For someone like me, they're never going to have a huge percentage of stuff from my Steam library of 4,000+ games. But a lot of that is bundle trash and I might have about 400-500 "good" games on Steam. With these Epic giveaways, my library there is well past the half way mark of the good games I have on Steam. Quite a few are duplicates (like today's Tomb Raider games) but that's okay because like GOG Connect it helps diversify my library there and homogenize it with what I have on Steam.

It's working, at least on me. It's taken them a few years, but I've made a few purchases there and will likely make more. Their $10 coupon certainly helps swing things in their favor, since a lot of these same games are on sale on Steam for the same price meaning Epic is $10 less.
Agreed. I finally purchased a few games during this Winter Sale. I was never one who took a hard stance that I would never purchase from the Epic store, they just had never given me a good reason to versus Steam previously.

Interfectum

If more games had achievements and they had actual user profiles that would go a long way for me to come around on the service.

The sale this year was quite enjoyable.

SnapShot

Maybe it's time to finally check out those DLC tombs of Shadow, played through all three main games but never got around to playing those or the Baba Yaga DLC

Last edited:
Top Bottom