• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternights | Review Thread

NExuaZCK.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Eternights

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 12, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 12, 2023)
  • PC (Sep 12, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Studio Sai

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 73 average - 56% recommended
Metacritic - 79 average based on 7 Reviews

image.png

Critic Reviews

Physical release coming this holiday if you prefer a bit of waiting!

image.png

Last edited:
But Why Tho? - Eddie De Santiago - 6.5 / 10
Eternights ultimately get more things wrong than right. It lacks a general sense of polish, and the writing is legitimately baffling at times. The combat feels great more often than not, but it’s hard to justify spending too much time on this title.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 7.5 / 10
Though far from perfect, Eternights has a lot of good ideas that heavier hitters in the action dating sim genre should follow. Despite being a small team, Studio Sai provides a fun and enjoyable experience in the scene, offering charming and equally viable dating options to get to know, even adding a queer romance option. There's an engaging mystery to uncover in-game too, every so often taking the time to showcase this in gorgeous 2D animation. Though polish could've been greater in distracting HUD and menus, combat checkpoints and the like, what the studio has done for the genre is create an earnest and wholehearted positive step forward.

GamingTrend - Henry Viola - 90 / 100
It's amazing to see such a passionate debut title from Studio Sai. Eternights elegantly blends in addicting and engaging action combat with dating mechanics while providing beautiful visuals and excellent voice acting. I can't wait to see what's next from this small team of developers.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 6.5 / 10
Eternights combines hack and slash action with Persona social links, but has a few too many issues to recommend to everybody.

MonsterVine - Nick Mangiaracina - 2.5 / 5
The pillars holding up Eternights; Narrative, Combat, and Characters, have lots of cracks and didn’t take long to start crumbling. As impressive as it is that this game was made with such a small team, I can’t recommend this game.

Press Start - James Wood - 8 / 10
Eternights is an ambitious and mostly successful swing at the dating-sim/action genre that delivers a cool world and likeable characters with robust combat options and a refreshing take on who you can love at the end of the world.

Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 7 / 10
Eternights' great success is that it manages to be more than the sum of its parts. The witty writing papers over the shakier aspects of the storytelling, the slight combat is used sparingly enough that its flaws rarely frustrate, and above all, it's got an undeniable charm despite its rough edges. We're swiping right on this one.

Siliconera - Cody Perez - 6 / 10
Eternights relies a bit too much on taking inspiration from other games like Persona 5 to carve out its own identity.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 9 / 10
Eternights is a humorous and raunchy adult dating sim that cleverly fuses itself with a grim action adventure. Good comedy writing combines itself seamlessly with the dark reality of the setting, presented through beautifully designed levels and masterfully animated cutscenes. Everything in Eternights meshes together wonderfully, and if you’re a fan of anime you’re sure to enjoy what this game has to offer.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I saw some videos of this and...

It's really bad.
Characters are generic and annoying. It's a cheap game made for thirsty weaboos.

h2dk7ovj5v2fw6ceaxte7u2sgg25gkfe_hq.jpg

Power Pro

did anyone here try this game? I forgot all about it, but i guess i preordered it physically on amazon, and it'll arrive this week. i remember thinking it looked kinda cool when it was revealed, and that's all i remember. don't know what kind of reception it got when it came out digitally other than what's posted in this thread, but i dont really trust critics. forgot that i even ordered it til i saw the money come out of my account lol

Top Bottom