• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Sales January 2023 - PS5 up 202%, Xbox down 32%.

kyoji

The specs were really good. It still wins its share of face/offs against the PS5 when they lost nearly 100% of all face offs last gen. They have bungled everything else.

I just heard that Coalition is only now starting dev on their next Gears title. 3 years after shipping Gears 5. In the meantime, Respawn shipped Jedi Fallen order in the same month and are coming out with a sequel next month. How MS let a studio waste 3+ years on nothing is beyond me.
Hogwarts legacy is proof that unless the gulf in specs is just huge in REAL WORLD performance NOT paper, that the vast majority of people cant even tell the difference. Thats why i stayed far far away from the next gen specs thread, lot of people looking like clowns now. All the ray tracing talk etc etc. you see how that turned out.

My point being theres more that goes into consumer choice than just specs..... otherwise we would all be gaming on high end PC's.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Sony increases the prices in EU

2f0.png

GHG

People thinking way too short term, and learning nothing from similar models.

That's the perfect customer for them though:
  • Is obedient and believes every piece of PR no matter how illogical it might be
  • Shops and makes purchasing decisions based on price and price alone
  • Tells the world with gusto about the natural wonder and marvel that is gamepass
And better yet, if you manage to get these people utterly addicted to the business model then you can erode their purchasing power to the point where they have no choice but to stick with you because they've spent all their time playing games (or watching utter crap in Netflix's case) and they've had little time for anything else in life. Netflix Gamepass and chill.

Own nothing, have no power, have no money, have no choice, be happy. That's what control looks like but people don't want to hear it.

But apparently everyone else who is still purchasing games and hardware (premium consoles, GPU's, etc) are the bad guys despite the fact that if not for them the industry would implode right now.

Trust me, I couldn't agree more. If you take that 30% decline from MS this year and map it out into the future, MS would basically control the entire industry in 10 years. We'd all be helpless underneath their iron grip dildo.

decline-graph-chart-bars-declining-chart-icon-decline-graph-chart-bars-declining-chart-icon-white-background-141841644.jpg

I'm in agreement with you guys; I don't want a future of being addicted to dildo. Whatever it takes to protect PS and our orifices.

Once again, you're behaving like a child about all of this. People with purchasing power care about where their money goes, their decisions are far more nuanced than yours. You'll get over it one day.

NickFire

Why are people of the opinion this is bad news for a Microsoft attempting to close the Activision Blizzard deal?

Sounds like this is precisely what I would want regulators seeing.
Review isn't about whether Sony needs protection. Instead, it's about whether MS can be trusted not to screw over all the consumers who have not bought an Xbox (etc). Part of the PR blitz was that regulators are screwing over competition to protect Sony. Now the regulators can point a straight line to the consumers they are protecting, which is the majority of video game consumers in Europe, probably by a significant margin. That isn't a good position for MS to be in right now, especially since CMA already said MS cannot be trusted after the way it handled Bethesda.

I used to love PlayStation, but the ps3 era was so awful, I never went back to the brand. Spider-Man was close to bringing me back but I just waited for PC after the Nvidia leaks.

A lot of people feel this with xbox.
well, there it is.

in fact, the Hack alone should've killed PlayStation.

Fbh

Any non-warring reason for the 30% drop? Is that historically normal?

Is it warring to guess it's probably a mix of Ps5 finally being easier to get + it's coming from a solid year with multiple high profile releases that got solid reviews (and multiple nominations + awards) vs MS who had a fairly weak year.

Like if you are just a random buyer that likes videogames and reads some news but isn't spending time console warring online or keeping tabs on every studio acquisition and upcoming projects.
If you see something like this pop up on your Twitter feed:
xgame-awards-2022-goty.jpg.pagespeed.ic.U1SJtmDsKE.jpg

5 out of the 6 games are available on Ps5 and 3 of them are exclusive (one of them timed). And all the popular multiplayer games (Fifa, COD, Fortnite, etc) are on both
Which console are you more likely to buy ?

ungalo

Also Xbox isn't doing anything ambitious for the european market, they're stopping physical distribution in more and more countries as time goes by. They just want to exist in the US so that's basically what they have, it's logical. It's not because cloud, Series S or Gamepass are accessible offers people are going to bite when they absolutely want a PS5.

Why are people of the opinion this is bad news for a Microsoft attempting to close the Activision Blizzard deal?

Sounds like this is precisely what I would want regulators seeing.
Regulators aren't idiots btw. They have access to thousands and thousands of internal papers and emails between management people. They have access to every supply information and can easily see what xbox studios have in the oven. In the last couple of months their competitor distribuited more units and managed to release a big first party seller in the same week where they were supposed to release Starfield (an acquired game). Any regulator can say that they don't need Activision, they need to work better bc they had the same cards to play. These sales are not caused by a lack of resources, but by missing milestones and deadlines. It's all on them imho

Last edited:
This isn’t really surprising. Lack of high profile EXCLUSIVE game releases in a long time frame can hurt anyone. Add in the fact that besides Gamepass and that’s really pushing it, there’s really not too many reasons to purchase an XBOX over a PS5 especially since Sony has approximately 95% of the exact same game library as Microsoft and more. They have to get their first party games out ASAP and as good as can be and I’m not even sure if that will be close to enough because it seems like Sony is gaining momentum.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Xbox has had good news this gen.
Like forza horizon making record sales. Minecraft is continuing to be a phenomenon under Microsoft. Hardware sales were breaking records in foreign markets. Acquiring Bethesda was huge. Once they get Activision it will be an even bigger deal.

2022 was a bad year, similar to some of the Xbox one years. 2023 is important because of starfield, forza Motorsport and the Activision deal. If all three of those land, Xbox will be in a much better state.

The Activision/Blizzard deal has put Xbox in some sort of limbo. The deal is expected to go through in may, and then they will have their showcase. The brand will be in a much stronger state after we see fable, contraband, perfect dark, hellblade, gears 6, avowed and more.
Bravo. Even Phinocchio Spencer wouldn't have said this better.

phant0m

Many xbox diehards are going PC.
i mean, modern consoles really are just PCs now (have been since last gen), anything xbox exclusive will get a PC release and you can get gamepass on PC sooooooooo why own an xbox?

if you have a PC and can only choose one console, the answer is Switch since PS-exclusives are now coming to PC eventually, plus you get portability.
if you have a PC but prefer PS exclusives or ecosystem to Nintendo, then you get a PlayStation.
if you have a PC and get an Xbox.....you gain nothing other than being able to play on your couch/TV.

that said, if i didn't have a PC and could only choose one platform to own....it would probably be an Xbox because of gamepass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom