• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nearly 1 in 5 gamers are LGBT+, says new GLAAD “study”

Draugoth

Gold Member
Untitled-1_2rtTRkx.jpg
Nearly one in five gamers are members of the LGBT+ community, yet LGBT+ storylines and characters account for less than two percent of all games.

That's according to the first ever GLAAD Gaming Report, the global leader in advocacy for LGBT+ representation, alongside market research company Nielson.

A previous report from Nielson three years ago stated 10 percent of gamers were LGBT+. Now that's up to 17 percent - an increase of 70 percent.

via Eurogamer

StereoVsn

I would take this with a big grain of salt.

“GLAAD's report was conducted with Nielson, based on 1452 self-reported PC/console gamers based in the US. ”

- Self-Reported is a big ? to start. Didn’t read the full report but kind of curious where they got the responders.
- and this is US only. I would imagine EU and Canada/Australia/etc are going to be similar, but once we start looking at more conservative countries, that ratio will go down.

So the headline and conclusions of both the article and the report are inaccurate. Games sell to global audiences now days.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

maths GIF
More percentages that don't mean shit.Gaming industry has become a fucking joke...

The shit I took today is less than 2% fecal matter than the 5% meat of big mac I ingested yesterday therefore today I feel 10% more inclined to create a gay character in an rpg due to Eurogamer's study and more than 110% less racist because of the Crystal Dynamics racism and etnicity warning on the new remasters of the almost 30 years old Tomb Raider games.

I would be hyperventilating without sites like Eurogamer bringing such important information to light,now I can definitely enjoy my games 2% more.
Great Job Reaction GIF

Skelterz

I think they missed the words in “San Francisco” out of the title.

Jokes aside not only do I think this study is false but it actually is a meaningless waste of time to discuss.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Given how many f**** are in gaming industry, this feels under stated number

*as in whiny little shit, this forum, your team leader, your 10x galaxy brain dev colleague etc. Many such cases, nothing to do with actual LGBT people, but given what I endured today, felt 128% warranted

Last edited:
Top Bottom