• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nearly 1 in 5 gamers are LGBT+, says new GLAAD “study”

Buggy Loop

According to GLAAD Gaming Report, the global leader in advocacy for LGBT+ representation

Marc Lamont Hill Wtf GIF by Identity

Now who would participate in such a survey I wonder.

Last edited:

skyfall

Have these people ever considered identifying with a works themes, concepts, motifs, emotions? rather than base level stuff like looks/what sex a character sleeps with? Understanding symbolism, metaphor, allegory, allusion?

Or do they just think ''the character needs to be gay/black/female like me or i don't get it''

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The report includes plenty of statistics on the importance of representation. 72 percent of LGBT+ players say seeing characters matching their gender identity or sexual orientation well-represented makes them feel better about themselves, while 68 percent wish there were more prominent LGBT+ storylines.

Further, 66 percent of LGBT+ players say games allow them to express themselves in a way they can't in reality; 36 percent of LGBT+ players said gaming helped them discover their sexuality; and 11 percent of LGBT+ players use games to escape difficult situations in the real world.

51 percent of LGBT+ players wish games did more to help them express their identity. This certainly ties into character creators and the need for diverse representation.

Approx 60% is self hating. Thats a rather low number.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm bi and I like that inclusion is more a thing than before. But A LOOOT if it is corporate virtue signaling cringe, which can feel incredibly tone deaf 🙄

I'm more than my preferences, I don't need to make it part of my personality. Fuck off

An example of this is you'll never see Sony or anyone else make a game with a homosexual male main character, but will readily do it with females. Because they know heterosexual male customers are far less put off by females engaging in homosexuality than they are males.

Last edited:

tkscz

Well the survey size for this must be huge and must be from all over the world to get a result like that. I mean, gaming is one of, if not the biggest entertainment medium right now. So the numbers here would have to be great. So what was it, 100,000 people? 1,000,000 people?

GLAAD's report was conducted with Nielson, based on 1452 self-reported PC/console gamers based in the US.

Concentrating San Antonio Spurs GIF by NBA

NeoGAF has a much larger group of people than that and I bet the numbers would come out quite a bit different if we did this. So yeah, calling bull on this. Most likely all 1,452 people are from the west coast, specifically LA, Seattle and Portland.

OCL

Why are they like that

hinch7

Well the survey size for this must be huge and must be from all over the world to get a result like that. I mean, gaming is one of, if not the biggest entertainment medium right now. So the numbers here would have to be great. So what was it, 100,000 people? 1,000,000 people?

Concentrating San Antonio Spurs GIF by NBA

NeoGAF has a much larger group of people than that and I bet the numbers would come out quite a bit different if we did this. So yeah, calling bull on this. Most likely all 1,452 people are from the west coast, specifically LA, Seattle and Portland.
Tiny sample size and in an area with high LGBTQ, in a country with probably the highest. No bias there, nope lol.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
...this research was done by filtering with the LGBT+ tag on each store

Research.
Research.
RESEARCH.

Fuck off. This was done by a bored child looking to manufacture a headline.
Hell, I chuckled when I was looking up closing times for Advanced Auto Parts this past Sunday and it is said on Google Maps, "LGBT+ Friendly"

Oh thank the heavens! All that lube they stock!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Self reported surveys are always sketchy.

It’s like saying every alumni member from my grad school makes $180,000.

But that assumes every graduate from my year submitted a number. I don’t think too many unemployed people or masters program grads making $50,000 are going to respond either.

LGBT group is a vocal one and will tell the world anything about their sexuality and gender. No different than people skewing left on the politics scale. The US is roughly 50/50 red and blue yet probably 90% of social media involving self proclaimed political messages lean left.

If a CSR department says they got 80 complaints about orange scented floor cleaner and 20 positive feedback notes it doesn’t mean 80% of people hate it. It just means that portion of people who responded have 80% hate rate of out 100 people. The other 999,900 who use the company’s floor cleaners haven’t even responded.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
An example of this is you'll never see Sony or anyone else make a game with a homosexual male main character but will readily do it with females, because they know heterosexual male customers are far less put off by females engaging in homosexuality than they are males.
Yup. Am homo, can confirm, still waiting for a lead protogahomo that isn’t a lesbian or bisexual that does onscreen shenanigans with the ladies.

I know it’s never going to happen and I understand why, it’s nothing personal. Games are expensive to make and starring a dude that bones dudes is likely going to financially flop. It’s just the honest truth. Gay dudes aren’t even 5% of the population. See: the movie ”Bros”. The mainstream audience was not interested, and it had nothing to do with homophobia. Hell, I didn’t see it either.

Skelterz

Yeah…but since I’m not making the rule here better safe then sorry lol

Yeah i know it’s just a pity isn’t it haha tbf this site is pretty chill nobody’s going out of there way to fuck anyone off but at the same time you can have a laugh and there’s no hard feelings.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup. Am homo, can confirm, still waiting for a lead protogahomo that isn’t a lesbian or bisexual that does onscreen shenanigans with the ladies.

I know it’s never going to happen and I understand why, it’s nothing personal. Games are expensive to make and starring a dude that bones dudes is likely going to financially flop. It’s just the honest truth. Gay dudes aren’t even 5% of the population. See: the movie ”Bros”. The mainstream audience was not interested, and it had nothing to do with homophobia. Hell, I didn’t see it either.
Yup.

Same reason why the vast majority of character leads have brown hair. Ya you might get some blondes or the occasional red head. But usually a dark brown haired guy or gal. And I guess every game character has great vision too because almost none wear glasses.

Got to go with the majority. And less glasses the less geeky it is despite tons of people wearing prescription lenses.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup.

Same reason why the vast majority of character leads have brown hair. Ya you might get some blondes or the occasional red head. But usually a dark brown haired guy or gal. And I guess every game character has great vision too because almost none wear glasses.

Got to go with the majority. And less glasses the less geeky it is despite tons of people wearing prescription lenses.
It's cause they're wearing contacts or had Lasik,
Mean Girls Halloween GIF

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah and 50% of gamers are women..
Yep.. my boy and his friends (a group of 7) ALL play some kind of game be mobile/console whatever... my daughter and her friends (a group of 10) couldn't give more of a shit for video games even if they tried.

And thats why, for me, is still baffling this insurgence of female leads we got in the last 10 years in video games, is like 3 in 5 game nowdays have female leads, and since the trend is making women look like man, not even that we can get, we get fat strong jaw bitch Alloy instead.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I bet 4 out of every 5 people they asked they pre-screened for excess-in-positive levels of homosexuality.

Also, 93% of my Uncle at Nintendo is made up on the spot.

7% of my uncle is made up prior, in several different locations.

The color of odor is translucent to the point of being mirror sheen but Budweiser is still losing money in light of purple mass ejecta found in YOUR OCEANS

This is a stupid study. Haha.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Isn't the world population naturally 7-10% LGBT?

I'm VERY skepitcal by Gen Z claims because they made LGBT as a clique thing.
Who knows.

I always heard that’s it’s 10%. Have no idea how true that is or if it was just a nice rounded off number used for decades.

Top Bottom