• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is just as silly to think this thing is going to be a massive success even when sale data shows its likely the continue to decline. Nintendo needed 5 different versions of the 3DS to sell 20 million units in the US and Canada. That could translate to as few as 10 million unique owners. I mean people are already declaring this will sell 3DS level or better with 0 proof.

Do you honestly think there are only ten million 3DS owners

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't really say I sound all that excited. Its Nintendo though, I expected the crazy ages ago.

All I really want is to experience the newest Zelda in the highest fidelity and a god damn Animal Crossing home console title. Is that too much Nintendo?

I think there is 100% certainty NX will have an Animal Crossing game, and most likely within in the first two years.

I'm with you--want to play on the big screen. My wife is always irritated she can't watch me play. She used to love watching City Folk.

Speely

Banned
Usually it 's the opposte.

True. However there is a possibility that this case in an exception due to the waiting game Ninty is playing and the unknown yet imminent nature of the X2. Not the most likely outcome, but certainly possible.

Please X2.

oti

Banned
This is such depressing news. I want a Nintendo super console. Well this will no doubt flop and Nintendo will have to go 3rd party. It's sad.

I really don't get this sentiment.

If Nintendo decided to go the PS4 route, what would they accomplish with that? How many would ditch their actual PS4 for that? I know people always claim "I want state of the art graphics and all the current ports plus Nintendo exclusive games on top" but A) I don't believe every person who claims that would actually do it and B) the appeal of that hypothetical box sounds limited.

There's more to a "Nintendo PS4" than just the hardware. You need the online structure to support games such as FIFA and CoD, heck, you need a modern account system for that to begin with. I don't think Nintendo themselves want to be in that place, Sony and Microsoft are just completely different in that regard.
And who would actually want that box? Us of course, we would. But why would casual players buy another box after they already bought the PS4? Then you also have to take publishers are target groups into account. Just because the Nintendo PS4 could play the new DOOM just as well as the PS4, doesn't mean it would sell just as well as the PS4 version. Maybe the publishers aren't even interested in another platform they'd have to support.

And just to finish this off, wouldn't Nintendo going 3rd party actually mean you'd get your wish of a Nintendo PS4?

Entertaining that hypothetical speculation and getting hyped up like posters i see is making it a plausible scenario. It needs to be held firmly at arms length

I didn't get that impression at all. Many of us just like to discuss tech on this forum. In this case, it was a matter of clarification since there is so little spec information regarding Tegra X2.

Azoo

Neo Member
Anyone walking in going "handheld? psch, pass" probably didn't notice the part where it's also a home console lol.

That's what 'hybrid' means in this context, folks.

This is such depressing news. I want a Nintendo super console. Well this will no doubt flop and Nintendo will have to go 3rd party. It's sad.
well its actually good news. since this will inevitably flop according to your opinion and they will go 3rd party you will be able to enjoy their games on your sony or microsoft super console very soon
It is just as silly to think this thing is going to be a massive success even when sale data shows its likely the continue to decline. Nintendo needed 5 different versions of the 3DS to sell 20 million units in the US and Canada. That could translate to as few as 10 million unique owners. I mean people are already declaring this will sell 3DS level or better with 0 proof.

Nintendo is transitioning into Last Stand mode. It may try another device or two after NX but its clear by the consolidation etc. they are trying to build a firewall.

desperate nintendo is best nintendo

Eolz

edit for above: well that is interesting, and follows some other stuff hinted recently (about being not that recent like the X1 in the devkit, or leaving things out that you can easily see in the eurogamer article).
edit2: hmmm, it seems they don't have much to prove their point though...

It's second hand info because the source doesn't write the article him or herself? How does this work? What has this to do with the credibility of the source?

I'm not sure what you want me to explain. A second-hand source is just that: not a direct one or something seen directly. Doesn't mean that the source itself is bad (although it can), just that there's less things pointing to something being true or not.
I would never say that the WSJ or MCV have bad/unverifiable/dodgy sources for example. Kotaku/IGN/Eurogamer usually can have good sources, but can also be duped more easily, and it's less problematic for them to add something in an article once another is already going in that direction.
Again, doesn't mean that's bad. Just not as good as the PS4Neo documentation or pictures of the WiiU devkits for example. Maybe they have this internally. Maybe they don't.

I really don't get this sentiment.

If Nintendo decided to go the PS4 route, what would they accomplish with that? How many would ditch their actual PS4 for that? I know people always claim "I want state of the art graphics and all the current ports plus Nintendo exclusive games on top" but A) I don't believe every person who claims that would actually do it and B) the appeal of that hypothetical box sounds limited.

There's more to a "Nintendo PS4" than just the hardware. You need the online structure to support games such as FIFA and CoD, heck, you need a modern account system for that to begin with. I don't think Nintendo themselves want to be in that place, Sony and Microsoft are just completely different in that regard.
And who would actually any that box? Is of course, we would. But why would casual players buy another box after they already bought the PS4? Then you also have to take publishers are target groups into account. Just because the Nintendo PS4 could play the new DOOM just as well as the PS4, doesn't mean it would sell just as well as the PS4 version. Maybe the publishers aren't even interested in another platform they'd have to support.

And just to finish this off, wouldn't Nintendo going 3rd party actually mean you'd get your wish of a Nintendo PS4?

I'm not a fan of those NX news, but I didn't want a "super console" either (I wanted just a decent console + a nice handheld). Wouldn't make sense at this point in time. Would have made kind of sense after the Wii or the SNES, but not in the situation is right now.

Astral Dog

Nintendo is transitioning into Last Stand mode. It may try another device or two after NX but its clear by the consolidation etc. they are trying to build a firewall.
Well, that should be enough reassuring, with Nintendo trying to diversify this is far from the doom scenario isnt it?

If Nintendo can offer a simple, affordable proposition at least NX wont flop.

Ansatz

Reveal date, not release date.

I'm hyped for this event. Not because they'll clear up all the confusion surrounding the hardware rumors, but because we will finally see footage of unannounced, original NX games!

We have a rough idea of what the system will be now, it's in the ballpark of what I expected and I'm tired of hardware talk. From now on I'm in full software mode, show me a new Mario platformer please.

Aldric

Anyone walking in going "handheld? psch, pass" probably didn't notice the part where it's also a home console lol.

That's what 'hybrid' means in this context, folks.

lt's a "home console" if you're stretching the definition. When it comes to its specs, form factor, the physical media it uses, it's a handheld.

This is a 160 page thread and I'm just now coming into this so my apologies if this has already been discussed to death, but...

I'm pretty damn sure for the longest time this was not a hybrid but separate home and portable devices. I remember in their last earnings statement (I believe it was) they said the upcoming system used "a new concept" and most people seemed to take that to mean 'novel', but I got the sense they were signaling they had reconceptualized the product(s) and decided to combine them into one. I bet it's the main reason they didn't make it to market this year.

Azoo

Neo Member
lt's a "home console" if you're stretching the definition. When it comes to its specs, form factor, the physical media it uses, it's a handheld.

You can also plug it into a TV and play games on it with a controller. It's a hybrid.

It may not be the most powerful nor the utmost ideal, but it is what it is.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I hope its compatible to the Wiimote and the WiiU Pro Pad

my guess is 250 with a packed in game (possibly Pokemon Go Plus).

It won't be able to play Pokemon Go. That requires both a data connection and a GPS. The only way I could see them doing that is if they delay it to holiday 2017 or later to add a cell radio and GPS due to Pokemon Go's success.

hatchx

Banned
If the console is a handheld and also the controller, and it's like 199.99 or something, it could be something special. I guess that would be the end of split-screen lag in games?

With the reportedly detachable controls and screen in each players hand, it could completely merge the Wii and WiiU control schemes in a pretty cohesive way.

I think it could be pretty damn cool. Could allow for some crazy AR experiences not using the TV.

It won't be able to play Pokemon Go. That requires both a data connection and a GPS. The only way I could see them doing that is if they delay it to holiday 2017 or later to add a cell radio and GPS due to Pokemon Go's success.

while I doubt they'd include a mobile radio, before the 3ds launched iwata talked publicly that they were considering it, then as we know the 3ds launched without one and then vita launched with it as an option that was not bought by anyone and swiftly dumped

Breakage

Do Nintendo even have the hardware engineers to make a device that looks sleek?
"Detachable controllers" makes me picture a flimsy, plasticky device that looks like a toy tablet.

Danchi

I wonder what the handheld will look like if you can play Just Dance on it.

Ha, I forgot this was announced at E3!

Presumably the games have to be playable both with and without the dock. So the detachable controllers (which remain the most questionable component to me) have accelerometers (not surprising) and the system itself has some kind of equivalent to the Wii sensor bar built in.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't get that impression at all. Many of us just like to discuss tech on this forum. In this case, it was a matter of clarification since there is so little spec information regarding Tegra X2.

Your a good guy. But i've seen a lot of assumptions and reaching around town, and its getting a bit out of hand is all.

I just think that people going with assumptions about docking stations providing 2 tflops of power and this being the 'handheld unit' with a console version of NX beating Scorpio are just taking the conversation in a bad place.

Nintendo are not interested in the power race, and Reggie has said this himself. We should allow them to focus on their strengths as a content provider while seeing how this direction can help them.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Isn't it the case that dev kits are usually stronger than the final hardware anyway?

This has been true of all three current consoles, but not this close to launch and as far as anyone can tell plans were changed in all of those cases.

On the other hand, it is possible that Nintendo made a custom chip and and that not enough are ready yet to be able to give them out to everyone quite yet. Finalized kits/specs likely won't be out until October.

oti

Banned
This has been true of all three current consoles, but not this close to launch and as far as anyone can tell plans were changed in all of those cases.

On the other hand, it is possible that Nintendo made a custom chip and and that not enough are ready yet to be able to give them out to everyone quite yet. Finalized kits/specs likely won't be out until October.

All I want is my Mario and my Zelda to look pretteh.

Oersted

This thing will flop worse than Wii U. That is because the PS4/Xbone crowd wont want it and the casual mobile players wont want it. It has no audience.

This is PS Vita MK2

I hope these are misdirected fake leaks.

Are you trying to tell us you don't like it?

Isn't it the case that dev kits are usually stronger than the final hardware anyway?

PS4 RAM bump? Not totally sure.

Ha, I forgot this was announced at E3!

Presumably the games have to be playable both with and without the dock. So the detachable controllers (which remain the most questionable component to me) have accelerometers (not surprising) and the system itself has some kind of equivalent to the Wii sensor bar built in.

accelerometers don't need a sensor bar

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Your a good guy. But i've seen a lot of assumptions and reaching around town, and its getting a bit out of hand is all.

I just think that people going with assumptions about docking stations providing 2 tflops of power and this being the 'handheld unit' with a console version of NX beating Scorpio are just taking the conversation in a bad place.

Nintendo are not interested in the power race, and Reggie has said this himself. We should allow them to focus on their strengths as a content provider while seeing how this direction can help them.

I don't think anyone is really expecting that kind of bump.

Just that the portable alone will probably be Wii U level or a tad less performance, while docked will bump it up somewhere between Wii U and Xbox 1 performance (hopefully closer to the latter). If it is using Tegra X2 that's more than reasonable, even if the dock just allows it to run overclocked by providing more power and active cooling.

Zelda's performance is really going to be big I think. If it doesn't look and run noticeably better than the Wii U version when docked that will be a bad introduction to western gamers who mostly don't give a shit about being able to play it on the go.

Red Gyarados

Neo Member
I think that if there is truth in this Eurogamer rumor there are some things that connect very well with information we already have so I thought I could add some points to the conversation:

First: There is a port of Zelda for the NX. but now with new information we don't know if it is a downgrade or an upgrade of the WiiU version, but if we assume the Tegra X1 chip it is very likely to be an upgrade since x1 gives at least 0.5 TFlops to the machine (vs 0.35 from WiiU)

Second: If Nvidia launched the Android TV for 200$ last year it could be feasible for Nintendo to pull out 200$ with the X2 in 2017, since the chip is likely already at disposal of partners of Nvidia at this moment.

Third: I think we could expect a SKU that is just the portable device and one that is the Dock station.or both together. This way it could be possible for Nintendo to have the portable one at 200$ or less, and then sell the Dock station for 100$ with additional Power to boost the TV play.

Forth: It could be less annoying for developers if the additional power (if) provided by the dock station just upscaled the resolution (from 540p or 720p to 1080p or 1440p) and maybe even give some aliasing capabilities. Other things like texture resolution and draw distance would stay untouched.

Fifth: Those patents about supplemental devices add some indication that the dock could boost the power of the handheld.

Besides that, I was thinking about the resolution and thought if it is necessary for a portable to go beyond 540p on 5" screens. Does anyone have some experience with 540p mobile devices to say if there is a big difference between 540p and 720p?

KrawlMan

Are you trying to tell us you don't like it?

Not just him. He clearly speaks for the hardcore and the masses. /s

I want it, assuming it doesn't look like a rubbish toy. This talk of being cheaper than expected worries me. I may love Nintendo, but I don't want to carry around what clearly looks like a toy in a market filled with slick looking tablets and phones.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Soma few months back, a SemiAccurate article about a rumor that Nintendo had struck a major deal with Nvidia, and that it was REALLY good for Nintendo.

Here is the the thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1218933

Fourth Storm said:
Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.

Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.

SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal. (Take the second sentence here with an extra portion of salt)

Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or which process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.

No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.

Perhaps that will help keep the cost of the system at a low level.

test_account

XP-39C²
A question regarding the notion that Nintendo will output more games due to a hybrid system, is this only about those who just owned one Nintendo system before, and now they will recieve more games? For example, for those who only owned a 3DS, they missed out on the WiiU games. Is this what the "more games being made" is about?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Hopes and Dreams.

Granted, there are architectures that can do that, but not in the form factor and power draw Nintendo are likely wanting to pursue, especially since they want it to be cheap

I'm not going to say that it'll actually happen, but if they were to use the Tegra X2 it would be possible to put a GPU and VRAM in the dock. It's extremely unlikely, but it's something that the chip would be capable of. They could make a $100 version of the dock with an underclocked Pascal equivalent of the 750 Ti and match PS4, which the regular dock would be something like 20-30% slower than Xbone. It's not likely, but shutting down speculation is no fun as long as it's at least somewhat grounded in reality.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Huh?

You can't be serious? Until Nintendo themselves show the system, EVERYTHING is rumor, speculation and innuendo.

If Nintendo puts a Tegra X2 chip in, it'll be a very nice system. Even if it ends up using a Tegra 1(most likely specially overclocked or tinkered with by Nintendo) on paper it's a more powerful system than the Wii U.

domlolz

Banned

nintendo have enough money to survive several flops apparently

and i dont see it flopping. both nintendos console titles and handheld titles on one console is going to be hard to fuck up,

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Time to share a small memory of mine here :p

This major leak in conjunction with the recent WSJ article made me think back about one of my personal (hand-drawn, quick sketches) mockups for the 3DS's successor. I posted this years ago on NeoGAF, some users might have seen this already.

M6n0sr1.jpg

My concept, back then, was about a portable device that could act as a classic "handheld", while also potentially as a tablet of sorts and a more compact, one-screen phone-like device. It was based on a combination of a rotating top screen, top and bottom screen positioned in such a way they could be seen as one when in "tablet" mode. However, that had a major problem, i.e. the "tablet" mode screen looking, well, way too much like just two rectangular screens attached to each other, moresquare-shaped. Also, having buttons in the "tablet" mode would've been unconfortable for those who just wanted to use the tablet screen, as well as looking a bit cumbersome for more mass consumers.

As time went by, I've drawn other quick sketches of other concepts for the 3DS's successor (which then became, after 2014 and 2015, the mobile component of the NX family of devices): much more similar to the 3DS/DS-setup of screens (not attached, screens being different), but not abandoning the idea a "phone-like", one-screen setup which the device could convert to, both by the rotating top screen idea again or, basically, the return of the Xperia Play design (sliding parts: the bottom of the "handheld" mode would've been hidden under the top part). I mean, a way to have a portable console that could have that mode and look more sleek while "hiding" buttons and normal controls.

Now, what's described here (aside from the unexpected - personally - hybrid concept) sounds to me like a different and more extreme application of the concept I had in mind, of a handheld that could convert in different modes, thanks to actual detachable side-controllers that can be used on their own. Who would've ever thought such a solution, seriously :p Still, by detaching the sides, the single screen stays, and that could be used as a "normal" phone-like / tablet-like device. It's such a strange feeling to see how an idea I had a few years ago seems to be a part of the next Nintendo system, even if not in the same way as I theorized.

Also, see ya bottom dedicated screen, the main reason my concepts were thought in that kind of fashion; in order to preserve it. Sincerly, this is a bit disappointing for me, since I was so used to have it, and it was so helpful :/

A question regarding the notion that Nintendo will output more games due to a hybrid system, is this only about those who just owned one Nintendo system before, and now they will recieve more games? For example, for those who only owned a 3DS, they missed out on the WiiU games. Is this what the "more games being made" is about?

It just means that all of nintendos games will be available on one platform. Hopefully this should mean the end of big droughts for the system. Also in terms of total output i would think that perhaps everyone developing for the same HW could increase output due to the ability to share technology (which you can't really do between 3DS and wiiU).

antonz

It potentially allows greater output as no longer separate development objectives. Instead of a 3DS Zelda and a Wii U Zelda as now there is simply an NX Zelda. Which allows the excess staff to instead work on an additional NX titles.

So in theory NX should get amazing Nintendo support year round if they handle development schedules properly

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm not going to say that it'll actually happen, but if they were to use the Tegra X2 it would be possible to put a GPU and VRAM in the dock. It's extremely unlikely, but it's something that the chip would be capable of. They could make a $100 version of the dock with an underclocked Pascal equivalent of the 750 Ti and match PS4, which the regular dock would be something like 20-30% slower than Xbone. It's not likely, but shutting down speculation is no fun as long as it's at least somewhat grounded in reality.

Your right, speculation is speculation after all.

Oregano

Yes but also the teams can now make more games because they're not stuck making two NSMBs, Mario Karts, Smash Bros, etc.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Pretty much, but in theory all output should increase due to increased efficiency.

It potentially allows greater output as no longer separate development objectives. Instead of a 3DS Zelda and a Wii U Zelda as now there is simply an NX Zelda. Which allows the excess staff to instead work on an additional NX titles.

So in theory NX should get amazing Nintendo support year round if they handle development schedules properly

It also means we're back to two "console" Zeldas per gen again! Hell, NX could get three including BotW.

jdstorm

Banned

Yes. Nintendo has typically made around 20 games per year. Split between 2 platforms. If you only owned 1 platform you missed out on roughly half of those games. Now you won't.

It also means less duplicates ie smash 4 on 3DS and Wii U took 2 teams making the same game separately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom