• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Wait what? If that quote is true isn't that CPU X2 level? ( 2 denver +4 a53?)

That quote is talking about the X2, yes. It's after they posit the possibility of the NX using the X2. They go on to say "we don't know EXACTLY what the X2 is yet, but..."

Here's that quote with the preceding paragraph, which provides the necessary context.

Information on X2 is very limited, to the point where all the technical info we have on it is condensed into one presentation you can read here - 'Embedded Supercomputing at Nvidia' by Alex Ramirez of Nvidia Research. What we do know is that it is a core component of Nvidia's new Drive PX2 system for the automotive industry, where two Tegra X2s are paired with a brace of the firm's discrete GPUs based on the cutting-edge Pascal architecture.

We also know it has an unusual CPU set-up - two next-gen versions of Nvidia's own Denver CPU cores, paired with an ARM quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 CPU cluster. But what we don't know is the form its GPU component will take because unusually, Nvidia has released no specs on this element whatsoever.

AzaK

More powerful than WiiU, with all the first party support not being split between two plattforms.

Could be worse.

True, but if could have been better.

youtube will destroy society.

Pretty much. Dont expect The Wither 3 on this. Nintendo are most likely going to double down with their internal teams as they only need to support 1 system. They will get the odd games from Ubisoft. As for 3rd party support I am going to assume they are hoping handheld Japanese devs jump aboard as well as indie developers from console ans PC and indie developers from Android and iOS.

Yeah but man, what sort of market is there for Nintendo + Japanese devs?

The real question becomes the dock. If it's just a turbo boost it couldn't be more then 3GHz which would make a .5Tflp NX @1GHz Roughly equivalent to 2.3 AMD Tflps which is near PS4 Power levels. If the dock has some form of discrete GPU say another X2 it could hit That performance level at a lower power window.

However some have speculated on GAF that it could even be a discrete 1050 which would give the NX when docked Neo/Scorpio level power.

Pricing will probably start a little high 299USD for a device with the X2 seems possible. But if Nintendo bundles its key Wii U ports (Mario Maker, Splatoon and Smash Bros) they can essentially break even while convincing the public the NX is a 250USD device.
I think if they do this, it'll be something you'll have to buy separately. The dock that probably comes with the NX out the box probably won't contain hardware.

Big One

Banned
It makes sense especially if the rumor of it using Android architecture too. If Nintendo can make their own app service and host all of the standard Android apps on it, that'd be pretty huge for them in combo with it being a legitimate game's console device. Could be an incredible value especially if it's a decent price like $199 or even $250.

I'd love to see Nintendo go all out and sell this thing with a Mario pack in (sidescroller or even a new Mario Maker) and everything you need for two players out of the box.

Having an enticing all in one package is something they desperately need to get people to bring this into their homes.

I'm still perplexed by this. How would the mobile games run on NX? Even if they mean easy porting from mobile, I'm not worth mentioning.
It's not Android, it's not iOS, and it's not Windows Mobile (lol) so I'd imagine that no matter what Nintendo would have to put resources towards porting it to NX.

Which they already have to do separately anyway for Android and iOS; a 3rd platform shouldn't be any more difficult than either of those two.

KrawlMan

I think if they do this, it'll be something you'll have to buy separately. The dock that probably comes with the NX out the box probably won't contain hardware.

I wouldn't mind this. Having a bit more expensive "boosting" dock for TV is one way they could keep the hardcore a little happier with the direction.

megasus

It's interesting to think about how a lot of franchises that previously had games dedicated for both handheld and home consoles will probably be streamlined into one series now. (Think Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, etc.)

G.ZZZ

That quote is talking about the X2, yes. It's after they posit the possibility of the NX using the X2. They go on to say "we don't know EXACTLY what the X2 is yet, but..."

Here's that quote with the preceding paragraph, which provides the necessary context.

I got punked hard

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think they should bring back the Wiimote as the side controllers for the handheld. Detachable and able to be used as Wiimotes on the TV. It is recognizeable to the casual market as well.

Lucifon

I'm still perplexed by this. How would the mobile games run on NX? Even if they mean easy porting from mobile, I'm not worth mentioning.
It's not Android, it's not iOS, and it's not Windows Mobile (lol) so I'd imagine that no matter what Nintendo would have to put resources towards porting it to NX.

Porting - if it's a tegra then it's an ARM chip so porting won't be that hard.

Key phrase here is "Its own smartphone games", not OTHER smartphone games. They would know how to port their own smart phone games.

September... This year?!

September REVEAL, NOT September LAUNCH.

It's interesting to think about how a lot of franchises that previously had games dedicated for both handheld and home consoles will probably be streamlined into one series now. (Think Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, etc.)

this is definately good as more obscure franchises will get a chance

Danchi

In regards to the X1 to X2 discussion, is there any precedent of a development kit (one that they were willing to send to third-parties anyway) being noticeably weaker than the final retail unit?

tr1p1ex

Just had another thought. Why would anyone outside Nintendo know the "marketing slogan" of the NX? I don't think Nintendo would share that with developers.

On the other hand might not be a coincidence this info leaked the day before the quarterly earnings release. It certainly helped cover the news of a $250 million loss. Maybe the leak came directly from Nintendo.

oti

Banned
Is there any precedent of a development kit (one that they were willing to send to third-parties anyway) being noticeably weaker than the final retail unit?

Isn't it the case that dev kits are usually stronger than the final hardware anyway?

Astral Dog

My take on the power situation. Nintendo need to be able to run most modern 3rd party engines on the NX for it to work. Specifically Frostbyte. Currently Frostbyte runs at 720/60 on the Xbox one (1.2 AMD Tflps) if the NX is a handheld that is around .5 Nvidia Tflps @1GHz (possible with the X2) then that would put it at 2/3 of an Xbox Ones power in a 5-10W window and it should be able to run Frostbyte at 540/60 something that's more then acceptable for a handheld. Battery life might be a little low, but if the battery is removeable or has modern quick charge tech that's hardly a dealbreaker. Especially with a NX XL probably due holiday 2017

The real question becomes the dock. If it's just a turbo boost it couldn't be more then 3GHz which would make a .5Tflp NX @1GHz Roughly equivalent to 2.3 AMD Tflps which is near PS4 Power levels. If the dock has some form of discrete GPU say another X2 it could hit That performance level at a lower power window.

However some have speculated on GAF that it could even be a discrete 1050 which would give the NX when docked Neo/Scorpio level power

Pricing will probably start a little high 299USD for a device with the X2 seems possible. But if Nintendo bundles its key Wii U ports (Mario Maker, Splatoon and Smash Bros) they can essentially break even while convincing the public the NX is a 250USD device.
Lol dont expect this

Fair enough. I kind of hope the next generation of Miis are directly related to Miitomo. There are a lot of clothes I spent a long ass time getting for it to not transfer over to anything. I think it would give the app longevity and increase sales by quite a bit.
Would also make me feel better about Nintendo making mobile games with them being able to add to their consoles line up

jdstorm

Banned

Yeah. That's where I'm at as well. In Australia we barely have HD TV channels so I think most people would accept an Upscaled 540 image if it meant that Battlefield/FIFA was portable. Then for people who cared an extra 200 dollars to get closer to 1080p or greater performance is more then reasonable

Edit:
Lol dont expect this

I'm not expecting it. But I thought to mention it since it's potentially plausible, and nothing official has been announced. I'm personally expecting the powered dock to be a hardware twin of the NX just with the screen replaced with a large amount of internal storage (1-2Tbyte HD)

CrazyHorse

This is such depressing news. I want a Nintendo super console. Well this will no doubt flop and Nintendo will have to go 3rd party. It's sad.

This is such depressing news. I want a Nintendo super console. Well this will no doubt flop and Nintendo will have to go 3rd party. It's sad.

Lol, a Nintendo super console has a much bigger chance of flopping than this. Is it funny if this post reminds me of the NES review from when it launched that said the console was bad and you should avoid it, and one of the reasons was because of the dpad not being a joystick?

Break conventions, doomed. Since 1985.

Big One

Banned
NX is going to be the console to host the next Pokemon game after Sun & Moon. That already assures it's going to do well, eventually, even if it has a slow start (like the DS and 3DS did). Pokemon alone sells consoles.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
How portable could the NX be? Are we taking about only toilet/bed gaming or could I realistically take this on a commute?

The shield looks pretty bulky in photos.

Speely

Banned
Lol, a Nintendo super console has a much bigger chance of flopping than this. Is it funny if this post reminds me of the NES review from when it launched that said the console was bad and you should avoid it, and one of the reasons was because of the dpad not being a joystick?

Break conventions, doomed. Since 1985.

It's not a Nintendo thread if Nintendo isn't doomed.

legend166

How portable could the NX be? Are we taking about only toilet/bed gaming or could I realistically take this on a commute?

The shield looks pretty bulky in photos.

I'm pretty sure the plan is for it to be fully portable, considering it's replacing their handheld line.

Edit: By fully portable I mean as portable as their old handhelds.

CrazyHorse

NX is going to be the console to host the next Pokemon game after Sun & Moon. That already assures it's going to do well, eventually, even if it has a slow start (like the DS and 3DS did). Pokemon alone sells consoles.

That's the best point I have heard so far! It pretty much guarantees success to some degree. But I fear that the game pads will be poor little wii shaped controllers.

However if they release a powerful dock in the winter, then it would be a dream come true.

antonz

It's not a Nintendo thread if Nintendo isn't doomed.

It is just as silly to think this thing is going to be a massive success even when sale data shows its likely the continue to decline. Nintendo needed 5 different versions of the 3DS to sell 20 million units in the US and Canada. That could translate to as few as 10 million unique owners. I mean people are already declaring this will sell 3DS level or better with 0 proof.

Nintendo is transitioning into Last Stand mode. It may try another device or two after NX but its clear by the consolidation etc. they are trying to build a firewall.

linkboy

Nintendo could make a console more powerful the Scorpio and the response from 3rd parties would be tepid, at best.

Those days are long, long gone.

Audioboxer

Can't really say I sound all that excited. Its Nintendo though, I expected the crazy ages ago.

All I really want is to experience the newest Zelda in the highest fidelity and a god damn Animal Crossing home console title. Is that too much Nintendo?

Why is everyone assuming that the screen is a full rectangle xd

If it's roundish, then the detachable controllers could slide in from the sides, wrapping around the top and bottom. Would be a bit sleeker, at the least. But presumably, a custom cut screen would add to the system's cost, which Nintendo may want to avoid if they're aiming cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom