• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovahking

Now we have 3 additional sources that have heard similar things to Eurogamer:

Kotaku:

IGN:

Wall Street Journal:

Also, MCV supports the information, after saying that they have heard the console will be cheap.

Yeah, there's no way this isn't real.

RG0BS1U.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know what you're talking about. Hypothetical speculation is not the same as discussing the plausibility of Nintendo electing any of these options. We were doing the former, not the latter.

Entertaining that hypothetical speculation and getting hyped up like posters i see is making it a plausible scenario. It needs to be held firmly at arms length

psyfi

Banned
I'm happy about the idea of a hybrid device because it'll finally give me a console Pokemon.
If playing a Pokémon game on NX is your idea of "console Pokémon" then you can just go back and get an SNES, Super Gameboy, and Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow.

Seriously, I don't get why people keep saying this lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
IGN - Legit
Kotaku - 50/50
MCV - Legit but MCV... I dont know much about the publication
WSJ - Legit i suppose

Not saying the info is bad or uncorroborated entirely. Just saying its lacking in variety of details being added to the conversation

Makes me think that the early dev kits are all anyone has seen outside of whatever the best Eurogamer sources were

This is such a bullshit statement. Just admit that you were wrong in thinking this was just some kind of talk between Emily and Eurogamer. It's not gonna hurt. You started this as a conspiracy theory. At least end it up decently. Edit: That was me being stupid and confusing the user that started the discussion.

Eolz

Edit on topic: going higher than 720p would be madness. If it's just a custom X1, they'll likely go 540p. X2 and it's 720p.

This is such a bullshit statement. Just admit that you were wrong in thinking this was just some kind of talk between Emily and Eurogamer. It's not gonna hurt. You started this as a conspiracy theory. At least end it up decently.

I don't see the point in turning that into some sort of witch hunt from both sides tbh. Most of the other sources have second-hand info and aren't really making that as clear as talking about the eurogamer statement.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Most of the other sources have second-hand info and aren't really making that as clear as talking about the eurogamer statement.

How do you know what kind of sources do they have?

Edit: what even makes a info second hand? What's first hand? A statement from Kimishima?

Eolz

How do you know what kind of sources do they have?

Edit: what even makes a info second hand? What's first hand? A statement from Kimishima?

To reply to your pre-edit reply: did you even read the quotes?
Post-edit: of course not, but that's not giving any hints about how credible that source might be either. It's not like getting the PS4 Neo confidential docs for example.

Feeling a lot of mixed emotions on this, very reminiscent of how I felt during the lead up and reveal of the Wii U.

But ultimately, it's going to be the software that sells me on the NX and unified development on one platform has a lot of potential to do that. Bayonetta 2 sold me on the Wii U and its turned out to be one of my favorite systems. The launch line-up and initial marketing is going to be critical in making NX a success imo.

This is such a bullshit statement. Just admit that you were wrong in thinking this was just some kind of talk between Emily and Eurogamer. It's not gonna hurt. You started this as a conspiracy theory. At least end it up decently.

How about you read my posts first

And grapple the context as me trying to figure out why a leak this big has so little commentary

Also stop acting like its some sort of personal attack

Also no conspiracy theory was ever posed in any of my posts

BD1

Banned
Ok, excuse the extremely crude mock up here (my skillz lack) but here is my guess at what this will look like. I think the touchscreen button patent is at play here:

NX_Hybrid.png

An example, playing Breath of the Wild:
NXBot_W.png

The actions mapped to the D-Pad on Wii U, now have their own custom buttons on the left panel and the traditional ABXY appear on the right.

As an example, New Super Mario Bros Local Multiplayer:
NX_Multiplayer.png

The controller are detached, and both players have A/B on their controller plus navigation

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also no conspiracy theory was ever posed in any of my posts

I admit I was wrong (see, it's not that difficult). You didn't start the conspiracy theory, you just piggybacked on it.

And you're still trying to deny the validity of several separate reports about the same info from several very reputable sources.

maxcriden

IGN article says:

According to Eurogamer, the central processing will be handled in the handheld itself, with a TV docking station - into which the console can be plugged - seemingly providing only an external display and not the extra processing power that's been rumoured for some time.

Wait, when did Eurogamer say the dock will only be to create the display and not have any extra processing power?

psyfi

Banned
I don't recall the patent's exact contents, but did it apply to anything more than a flat 2D plain? If not, it'd be pretty pointless when it comes to controller detection since there'd be nothing to detect beyond the fact that they are there, and there are simpler, more cost effective ways of doing that.

BUT if it applies to a 3D space, it could allow for 1:1 motion tracking of the controllers. Potentially interesting, but we'll see.
Imagine something like a board game being played out with Amiibo figures, and with all stats / attack animations happening on screen. My first thought is something akin to Advance Wars. It might require a printed board to make it more comprehensible.

G.ZZZ

Ok, excuse the extremely crude mock up here (my skillz lack) but here is my guess at what this will look like. I think the touchscreen button patent is at play here:

No tactile feedback would kill any competitive play and it'd be horrendous without you looking at it all The time

psyfi

Banned
I wonder if the patent for the button screen was for when the handheld doesn't have any controllers attached.
Potentially, but somehow I doubt it. It seems too good to be true. I fully expect a screen/tablet only mode, but pop up tactile buttons are a pipe dream. Maybe for NX2.

gafneo

Banned

I see, you combined the leaked freeform controllers into the tablet sides. I think that gives me some ideas too.

I admit I was wrong (see, it's not that difficult). You didn't start the conspiracy theory, you just piggybacked on it.

And you're still trying to deny the validity of several separate reports about the same info from several very reputable sources.

Nope never did in fact i went out of my way to point out the the eurogamer leaks were the only source worth discussing

I was already corrected on and updated on the corroboration from other sites

What is interesting is the lack or varied details meaning everyones corroborations must be link to developer dev kits.

I was just curious that the news didnt snowball and we were getting new details that werent already delivered by eurogamer

Meaning Eurogamer was thorough as fuck covering every angle that could be infered from the dev kits or there really is nothing else Nintendo is putting out there to leak

I wonder if the patent for the button screen was for when the handheld doesn't have any controllers attached.
While that tech might be good for something in the future, I imagine it'll be a bit too expensive for right now. I imagine that after the industry rejected the Wii U they probably decided against high cost, controller based gimmicks.

Hopefully the handheld can be docked without detaching the controls every time i want to play on the TV. This seems so unecessary and Kids will break those things easily. Just bundle a bluetooth controller.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I classify it like this because that's what it is. Not sure where the problem is with that.

It's second hand info because the source doesn't write the article him or herself? How does this work? What has this to do with the credibility of the source?

ika

I've been busy at work so I didn't read all the info and the thread yet, but I'd like to write down my 2cents. Sorry if some is incorrect because I don't have all the "facts" yet... Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong!

-I know several media sites and insiders are reporting this so that could mean it's the real deal, but I want to think this is just another rumor. I know it's not the same but some journalists also said that infamous controller mock up was real, too...

-I had the impression that many developers hinted heavily about NX being a console not a handheld... Even if this kinda "transforms" into a console, something doesn't feel right...

Things I like:
-Unified library (could be achievable with two or more different SKU as many speculated)
-Game Cards (I hope the standard is 32/64GB with smaller capacities as an option)
-A new Mario Maker will be possible with this set up

Things I don't like:
-I don't commute so I play always at home. I prefer my monitor or TV to play games. I know there would be a "base" to connect this to my TV but... It's still a handheld... With all its limitations... If I'm going to use it always like a console I'd want a proper stationary console...
-Or the screen will be too small to play games like BotW (it's already difficult to play XCX on the Game Pad so...), or too big for people that want to put it on their pockets.
-Probable battery issues if the thing is too small and still more powerful than a Wii U.
-The power of the system. I'm 35 and to think I'll need to wait another 5+ years to see some Nintendo franchises evolved graphically it's depressing... I'm not a graphics whore, but damn...

Now some questions for some kind soul...
-What are the main differences between X1 and X2 chips?
-There's any info about if the "base" would improve the power of this thing when connected (SCD) or only a dummy charger with HDMI input?

Thank you! :D

Malakai

Eurogamer said:
We also know it has an unusual CPU set-up - two next-gen versions of Nvidia's own Denver CPU cores, paired with an ARM quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 CPU cluster. But what we don't know is the form its GPU component will take because unusually, Nvidia has released no specs on this element whatsoever.

we have this quote from Eurogamer, but yet they they write out a entire article spectulation that the NX is using the X1. WTF?

I like the idea of having one Nintendo device that is both a home platform and mobile if I choose. But I'll mostly leave it docked for play on my TV so I'm curious about what the control method is in that case.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If whoever producing the screen chucks it in for super cheap then sure but going by trends for 3D - no.

That's true.

Even more reason for Nintendo to use Tegra X2.
Heck $250 looks more likely now (since there's a screen and batteries involved + R%D costs from Nintendo's side).

Important note: The Tegra K1 Shield Tablet from 2014 launched at $300, but that's with an 8-inch 1080p screen. I'd say that $200 isn't a problem. However, I think they'll stick with the X1 just because Nintendo literally prefers using older, proven tech. The next-gen Tegra really should be available to partners already, and I'd think that Nintendo would have told devs that X1 wouldn't be the basis for the final chip.

150 is my hope

$150 is impossible. $200 is the minimum, even if it uses the X1.

I like the idea of having one Nintendo device that is both a home platform and mobile if I choose. But I'll mostly leave it docked for play on my TV so I'm curious about what the control method is in that case.

I hope its compatible to the Wiimote and the WiiU Pro Pad
$150 is impossible. $200 is the minimum, even if it uses the X1.

my guess is 250 with a packed in game (possibly Pokemon Go Plus).

jdstorm

Banned
My take on the power situation. Nintendo need to be able to run most modern 3rd party engines on the NX for it to work. Specifically Frostbyte. Currently Frostbyte runs at 720/60 on the Xbox one (1.2 AMD Tflps) if the NX is a handheld that is around .5 Nvidia Tflps @1GHz (possible with the X2) then that would put it at 2/3 of an Xbox Ones power in a 5-10W window and it should be able to run Frostbyte at 540/60 something that's more then acceptable for a handheld. Battery life might be a little low, but if the battery is removeable or has modern quick charge tech that's hardly a dealbreaker. Especially with a NX XL probably due holiday 2017

The real question becomes the dock. If it's just a turbo boost it couldn't be more then 3GHz which would make a .5Tflp NX @1GHz Roughly equivalent to 2.3 AMD Tflps which is near PS4 Power levels. If the dock has some form of discrete GPU say another X2 it could hit That performance level at a lower power window.

However some have speculated on GAF that it could even be a discrete 1050 which would give the NX when docked Neo/Scorpio level power

Pricing will probably start a little high 299USD for a device with the X2 seems possible. But if Nintendo bundles its key Wii U ports (Mario Maker, Splatoon and Smash Bros) they can essentially break even while convincing the public the NX is a 250USD device.

I've been busy at work so I didn't read all the info and the thread yet, but I'd like to write down my 2cents. Sorry if some is incorrect because I don't have all the "facts" yet... Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong!

-I know several media sites and insiders are reporting this so that could mean it's the real deal, but I want to think this is just another rumor. I know it's not the same but some journalists also said that infamous controller mock up was real, too...

I think we can safely say that this Eurogamer article is the real deal or based on proper information and sources. They're a reputable gaming website and would not publish this without sources they have verified. It read as a proper report with clear information. I think it is fair to say that the information is out there. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo themselves allowed the information to be published to give people a rough idea of what to expect, and set expectations lower when it comes to out right power (basically internet gaming fans).

As for the controller mock up, i don't think any website published an article saying This is the NX controller, rather they published articles asking Is this the NX controller?

I think we can safely say that this Eurogamer article is the real deal or based on proper information and sources. They're are a reputable gaming website and would not publish this without sources they have verified. It read as a proper report with clear information. I think it is fair to say that the information is out there. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo themselves allowed the information to be published to give people a rough idea of what to expect, and set expectations lower when it comes to out right power (basically internet gaming fans).

As for the controller mock up, i don't any website published an article saying This is the NX controller, rather they published articles asking Is this the NX controller?

I still will not believe it 100% unless nintendo announces it.

My take on the power situation. Nintendo need to be able to run most modern 3rd party engines on the NX for it to work. Specifically Frostbyte. Currently Frostbyte runs at 720/60 on the Xbox one (1.2 AMD Tflps) if the NX is a handheld that is around .5 Nvidia Tflps @1GHz (possible with the X2) then that would put it at 2/3 of an Xbox Ones power in a 5-10W window and it should be able to run Frostbyte at 540/60 something that's more then acceptable for a handheld. Battery life might be a little low, but if the battery is removeable or has modern quick charge tech that's hardly a dealbreaker. Especially with a NX XL probably due holiday 2017

The real question becomes the dock. If it's just a turbo boost it couldn't be more then 3GHz which would make a .5Tflp NX @1GHz Roughly equivalent to 2.3 AMD Tflps which is near PS4 Power levels. If the dock has some form of discrete GPU say another X2 it could hit That performance level at a lower power window.

However some have speculated on GAF that it could even be a discrete 1050 which would give the NX when docked Neo/Scorpio level power

Pricing will probably start a little high 299USD for a device with the X2 seems possible. But if Nintendo bundles its key Wii U ports (Mario Maker, Splatoon and Smash Bros) they can essentially break even while convincing the public the NX is a 250USD device.

Yeah im leaning on this idea

250 seems like a target with those specs though i wouldnt be surprised if they pushed 300

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It'd be interesting if Nintendo made the tablet similar to the patent they had for that oval shaped screen. There could be one attachment that allows you to insert it into a more classic controller design with handles, D-pad, stick and buttons. The other attachment could be a clamshell design where the Oval screen functions as the top of the clamshell and the bottom half has the buttons, sticks, and D-pad. Have the Oval tablet be about 7" long and be able to play some games without either attachment. Here is the design/Mockup I'm referring to:

nintendo-patent-1024x768.jpg

This excellent fan made video here is basically showing what I'm talking about. It's using the Sharp Free Form display tech. I believe he's a fellow Gaffer!

Also interesting is that he named the system/controller the "Nintendo Go" and this was back in January when he posted the video. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo
will end up naming the console the "Nintendo GO".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkU101fFOk

My mock-up would be two controllers attaching together for either a single screen held horizontally or held vertically to mimic a DS/3DS with touchscreen on the bottom.

No mention of screens on the controllers in the Eurogamer "leak/story" because the controller *IS* the screen ie: video above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom