• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every IP from Konami has already been bought by Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know it kind of bothers me in a sense that I can believe that. This is the problem I've thought about all along. Regardless of the piss poor management of PlayStation the past two years, Microsoft has a very big pot of gold. Very big. I genuinely believe they could easily make a move like this. They spent 2.5 billion on Mojang.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Too late, I outbid Microsoft. I purchased all of Konami’s IPs with these magic beans. I luckily had one magic bean left over so I bought Disney. Please be excited for future updates!

ZywyPL

Banned
MGS being Xbox exclusive would be... strange, to say the least. And it wouldn't be MGS without Kojima to begin with. However buying PES would be a smart move for MS, if they could get the series back on track to be competitive with Fifa again, they could finally earn some of that EU market share.

oldergamer

Odd that this was posted on march 5th. there is a pretty easy way to confirm this. if MS is setting up an office in the same building as Konami. If they are then the rumor is true, if they aren't well then its fake.

Note there is a 16th studio that we haven't heard about just yet. I was more hoping MS would buy capcom, it would be nice if they took japan more seriously ( like they did at the start of the Xbxo 360 era ).

Dante83

Banned
Even if it's true, what does konami have left? They have not done shit since kojima left, and they don't have what it takes to make their franchises great again. If true, MS may be buying a dead weight,and that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
Lol "So expensive for Microsoft". Yeah right. Konami probably trying to offload these if anything going by all the various rumors. That's the only thing consistent, they're shopping this shit around. Likely because gaming (gambling) took a big hit recently with Macau/Vegas/etc being out of commission so they need capital, pronto.

oldergamer

MGS being Xbox exclusive would be... strange, to say the least. And it wouldn't be MGS without Kojima to begin with. However buying PES would be a smart move for MS, if they could get the series back on track to be competitive with Fifa again, they could finally earn some of that EU market share.

I don't know if MS wants to get back into sports as they currently enjoy full support of EA. Any console provider that makes sports games is at odds with EA directly. At the end of the OG Xbox and start of the Xbox 360, MS stopped making sports titles ( even after buying the rights to a well known baseball franchise ) and that "good faith" convinced EA to put more weight behind them compared to Sony. In addition, EA also tends to flip back and forth between who they support more, as an effort to keep both platforms viable (Keeps their costs down if nobody wins the console war permanently).

KOMANI

KOMANI
I mean, Im the first to be in favor to close this thread, but how many days lasted the other as ridiculous as this one thread suggesting the same thing with Sony?
2 wrongs dont make a right. That one shouldve been shut down much MUCH quicker than it did.

Reactions: JLB

oldergamer

I was also thinking sega would be a better target for japan.

Actually, this could be interesting, but what if MS wanted to rebrand "Xbox" as the return of the "MSX" in japan? After all metal gear did debut on a microsoft based PC/console that predated the famicom version. A rebranding could do wonders with some actual support in that region.

If MS got for instance, capcom and konami titles + a bunch of JRPG's at launch, it could possibly perform better than the 360 did in the region.

Aion002

I hope so.

Same thing I said last time: Konami IP's are better being used on real games than on pachinko machines.

SleepDoctor

Banned
The meltdowns would be just as glorious as they been after the Ps5 reveal. But I don't want 100 threads after about how mgs. Castlevania, Silent Hill, and etc were "trash anyway".

Either way this is bullshit and honestly anything from pastebin should be automatically deleted.

INC

Cant wait to see mgs running animation, wonder if theyll go for the standard gears 'I've shat myself' running animation

Stuart360

Cant wait to see mgs running animation, wonder if theyll go for the standard gears 'I've shat myself' running animation
Bit of a weird thing to say when Snake has terrible running animation in the MGS games, especially the PS2 games.

Last edited:

INC

Bit of a weird thing to say when Snake has terrible running animation in the MGS games, especially the PS2 games.

Doesnt look like his shit himself tho, gears that's the staple running animation, main reason I don't play them, coz it looks so retarded

cHaOs667

If there might be some truth in the rumor I would suggest that they engaged a long-running partnership with every future Konami game be playable on Gamepass and in XCloud immediately.

For some Konami games this is already happening like PES that's being released on GamePass just a couple of weeks after release for the second year in a row.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Unfortunately Microsoft has stated many times they're not interested in making strictly singleplayer games... Afaik nothing's changed about that approach.
No they didnt. They are literally making them - Hellblade II(and Ninja Theory is making a second studio), Playground Games, Obsidian and InXile's RPG project, Initiative's project, Compulsion's project(since they said they will go AAA next time). Stop making shit up.

Nickolaidas

So, last week Sony was buying the license for Konami IPs, and now MS bought ALL of Konami's IPs? Lemme guess, next week Nintendo will buy Konami's IPs. And the week after that, Google.

Last edited:
This is nonsense.

You don't buy IP and then have to pay royalties back to the previous owner. That's thew whole point of taking ownership over the IP itself.

Also if it were not an IP sale but exclusive usage and distribution rights sale then why would Konami do this to completely gut the value of their company, as well as undermine any of their own strategic ambitions should they ever want to move out of gambling machines again?

Yall know its BS so I am probably preaching to the converted at this point.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah this would be great. Because Microsoft has such a great reputation taking IPs talented developers created, cutting those developers and studios out of the picture, and giving the IPs to other studios.

/s

GrayChild

This is false.

I can officially confirm that it was me bought these IPs. With my hard earned part-time job cash.

I'm gonna hit it big soon. Just watch.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
This is false.

I can officially confirm that it was me bought these IPs. With my hard earned part-time job cash.

I'm gonna hit it big soon. Just watch.
Too late, I outbid Microsoft. I purchased all of Konami’s IPs with these magic beans. I luckily had one magic bean left over so I bought Disney. Please be excited for future updates!

But I’ll let you rent out the licenses

Fox Mulder

would be fun but is just some internet bullshit.

MS going big is interesting while Sony is silent. It would also at least guarantee we see a bunch of beloved Konami properties again through remasters or collections. MS would throw AAA money at the new games. Konami isn't doing shit right now.

Last edited:

Genx3

Has a paste bin rumor ever come true?

It seems paste bin is only good for starting false rumors.

Mattyp

Gold Member
yeah...I don't think so. How much did MS pay for Minecraft? Konami should be 10, 20 times that easily.

Also, @Konami, please remake SOTN (2D) for the love of God.

Are you high, Konami is worth $5billion on the market right now, 90% of that is from gambling revenue.

Minecraft is a much more valuable asset then old Japanese games that sell in few numbers.

Ellery

I mean it is obvious fake, but it would be a huge win for Microsoft. They would need more than just the "names". They would need the talented people that actually created those games if they want to avoit another Homecoming and Downpour.

Still I would be happy with it and rather have Microsoft "try it" than all those amazing IPs rotting in the lairs of Konami.

Entroyp

Why is Konami in such a hurry to get rid of its IP’s? Wasn’t Sony in the bidding block last week?

Not going to happen. If it does it will be way worse than we thought and EA or Activision will acquire them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not saying this isn't true but it seems like exactly the sort of thing a fanboy would post somewhere. The stuff about the manufacturing facility is a tell.

Konami has no incentive to get rid of these things, they' company is doing fine as-is, and can easily fund a damn factory without resorting to selling off their most valuable IP.

Sure, it's possible.
Notch was stupid enough to sell Mojang to Microsoft. Anything is possible

He got paid $2.4 billion for something he was sick of working on and burning him out. How is that stupid?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom